Burgers

ftf82

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

This. Always consistent as are the fries.

Those Frenchies know how to make them some Belgian fries!

I realize I'm not really going out on any limbs here, but...

Top Notch

Hopfield's

Hopdoddy

I'm not including steakhouse/chophouse burgers here, I consider them to be a different category, I guess.

^ i'd hit that.  

isn't his the truck that was recently vandalized with anti semitic graffiti?  i was planning on going by to send some business his way as a show of support at some point once he got back up and running in any event, but seeing that burger pic makes me think i need to get there ASAP.  mmmmm molten cheese

On 11/8/2018 at 11:03 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Is Jewboy a brick & mortar outlet or a food truck?  Their location on the map looks like it might be in that food truck lot just south of Billy's on Burnet.

It's in that food truck lot. 

Also, don't sleep on the Big Kahuna burger at the Big Kahuna trailer in that lot. It's ridiculous...a 1/2 pound patty and about a 1/2 pound of kalua pork.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:08 AM, 0xdeadbeef said:

I may need to get out more, I've never even hear of Jewboy.   

But the burger on the front page of the website looks very legit.

http://www.jewboyburgers.com/welcome.html

4e7d94a566c4a63f0556bd06f2f8b806?AccessK

Went once for lunch this summer, and the burger was damn tasty but fuck sitting outside on a parking lot bench. Too fucking hot to enjoy your meal. Brick n mortar that shit and I'll be back. Plus the parking/logistics of that place was a clusterfuck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Little Darlin

a chef friend of mine who used to live in my neighborhood (adjacent to far south congress) told me I needed to try their burger.  Finally did.  It's a good fucking burger - the type of burger that I wish my burgers would turn out like every time I have ever grilled burgers.  Fairly straightforward - tastes like they are charcoal grilled with bacon, pickled onions, american cheese.  But perfect.  Also a surprisingly cool bar/patio for the location (if you don't mind kinda grungy hipsters).

Also, suprisingly,

Independence Fine Foods

Edited by Celery Man

57 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

I’m gonna suggest that you not go to Joann’s Fine Foods if a $13 burger troubles you. 

Seems like location explains the difference between $15 and $13.  LIttle Darlin' looks to be a not-exactly-central dive, which to me doesn't really call for a pricey burger.  

But Joann's $32 CFS does seem absurd.

• 1 month later...

Little darlin is owned by the Yellow Jacket Social Club folks. The chef at little darlin used to be the chef at a The Nitehawk in Brooklyn, which is a movie theater that serves booze and good food and owned by my buddy, a former fellow Longhorn. The fried chicken sandwich is better than the burger, imo, and the burger is damned good.

I love little darlin. It’s right down the street from me. I also love metal and country music and chicks with tattoos and smoking cigarettes on a patio and those are all things I can do there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

anyone been to nau's lately?  i used to live on the street behind it many years ago and remember having a lot of good, greasy, old school flat top griddle burgers there.  so i went for a shot of nostalgia around the holidays, and wow.  waited over an hour for burgers (they ended up comping the whole thing it took so long) and they were like something your drunk uncle would make in the backyard - dry, completely charred, cold slice of cheese thrown on, wrong condiments.  i understand they had to completely close down the soda fountain for a while shortly thereafter.  and i'm quite sure that's the only part of that place that makes any money.  maybe they took some time to get their shit together.  or maybe it will be condos by this time next year.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:12 AM, Jack Straw said:

anyone been to nau's lately?  i used to live on the street behind it many years ago and remember having a lot of good, greasy, old school flat top griddle burgers there.  so i went for a shot of nostalgia around the holidays, and wow.  waited over an hour for burgers (they ended up comping the whole thing it took so long) and they were like something your drunk uncle would make in the backyard - dry, completely charred, cold slice of cheese thrown on, wrong condiments.  i understand they had to completely close down the soda fountain for a while shortly thereafter.  and i'm quite sure that's the only part of that place that makes any money.  maybe they took some time to get their shit together.  or maybe it will be condos by this time next year.

nailed it

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

interested to see what this is like since it's close to me.  i've always liked hopdoddy but only go about once a year because soco is a pain.

Austin’s growing chain Hopdoddy Burger Bar is expanding with an entirely new restaurant though with the same burger focus. It’s opening Lil’doddy Burgers and Beer on 4624 West William Cannon Drive in Oak Hill sometime in April.

The new restaurant is meant to be a more “streamlined” version of Hopdoddy, served at a faster pace, according to a staffer, but not to the degree of fast-food. This means a simpler menu centered on a five-ounce patty served with various ingredients, as well as a chicken breast option, along with salads. There will be beer and alcoholic drinks.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:12 AM, Jack Straw said:

https://austin.eater.com/2019/2/13/18223432/naus-enfield-drug-diner-closed-temporarily

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 1:15 PM, 4th&Five said:

interested to see what this is like since it's close to me.  i've always liked hopdoddy but only go about once a year because soco is a pain.

Austin’s growing chain Hopdoddy Burger Bar is expanding with an entirely new restaurant though with the same burger focus. It’s opening Lil’doddy Burgers and Beer on 4624 West William Cannon Drive in Oak Hill sometime in April.

The new restaurant is meant to be a more “streamlined” version of Hopdoddy, served at a faster pace, according to a staffer, but not to the degree of fast-food. This means a simpler menu centered on a five-ounce patty served with various ingredients, as well as a chicken breast option, along with salads. There will be beer and alcoholic drinks.

I'm glad they confirmed that Lil'doddy Burgers and Beer will in fact have beer on the menu.

Oh and Black Sheep Lodge makes a fantastic burger. Or they did 5 years ago at least. 

Edited by ztejas

17 hours ago, ftf82 said:

It's hipster as hell, but Dean's One Trick Pony in the Line Hotel downtown makes a phenomenal burger. I walk down to it during Sx, ate a Double on the patio and watched the money flow into town.

Try their fried chicken banh mi if you haven't already. It's awesome and ridiculously large.  I think that is one of the best restaurants downtown as far as the price to quality ratio is concerned. 

• Like 1