Burgers

ftf82

On 4/2/2019 at 8:30 PM, ftf82 said:

It's hipster as hell, but Dean's One Trick Pony in the Line Hotel downtown makes a phenomenal burger. I walk down to it during Sx, ate a Double on the patio and watched the money flow into town.

that's a damn good burger

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, scottsins said:

I find it unsettling that I’m the first to mention Roaring Fork’s “Big Ass Burger”. Cooked over wood...it’s sex in the mouth.

They used to have some kind of happy hour 1/2 off if you ate at the bar.  Maybe downtown only.  Any idea if that's still a thing?

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

They used to have some kind of happy hour 1/2 off if you ate at the bar.  Maybe downtown only.  Any idea if that's still a thing?

i think its $10 during happy hour, and i know they offer it at the stonelake location as well, at least they did the last time i was there.  damn good burger

33 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

The real issue here is that no matter how good that burger is, nobody should go there and forego the green chili pork stew. I guess if really hungry you could order both.  

That's a fairly easy dish to replicate.  It's glorious.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, Ollie Slatt said:

The real issue here is that no matter how good that burger is, nobody should go there and forego the green chili pork stew. I guess if really hungry you could order both.  

Been going to RF Stonelake since it opened.  Always good.  Steaks and burgers cooked over wood are great, as are most of the dishes in general.

As for the green chili pork v. Burger, it’s not a binary choice. For 2 people, Get the green chili pork as an app, followed by the burger.  And feel free to add a side of the green chili Mac.

By the way, the grilled ribeye is amazing.  

• 3 weeks later...

If we're allowed to talk about pre-made burgers that you can grill at home, this past Memorial Day weekend reminded me that the Cowboy Burger at Central Market is pretty damn good.  I hadn't grilled them in a while.  Throw on some cheese, lettuce, tomato and jalapenos, and you have one fine burger that won't cost more than $10 and require a wait in line. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 6:23 PM, ftf82 said:

Parking is never available, but Pool Burger (below Deep Eddy Cabaret) serves a really good burger. 

Man, I was sitting at the DEC bar 15 minutes ago reading this thread. I just inhaled the Loyal Forever at Pool Burger. Fantastic fucking suggestion. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2019 at 4:17 PM, SquishMitten said:

Man, I was sitting at the DEC bar 15 minutes ago reading this thread. I just inhaled the Loyal Forever at Pool Burger. Fantastic fucking suggestion. 

oh yeah, went the other day and it was awesome

• 5 months later...

Hopdoddy fan boi here. I recently ate at the new one in Cedar Park and overall it was a big letdown from their original high standard (imo found at W. Anderson and S. Congress). I've eaten at the Triangle location a few times as well and thought the quality was lacking there too.

It's looking like their expansion is diminishing their overall quality, unfortunately, but not surprisingly.

I've definitely had better luck at Hopdoddy's Anderson Lane location.  I see them occupying a weird spot in the market -- a couple of cheeseburgers and an order of fries to split for $25 or so isn't egregious, and I think they're better than the next step down (Phil's, Top Notch, etc.), but it's not exactly mindblowing cuisine, either.

EDIT:  I still need to try Jewboy

Edited by jimmyjazz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Poster on Reddit saying that the last Burger Tex closed down (on Airport). RIP Bulgoki burger. Maybe Barfly's will expand downstairs.

That’s a shame. There was a time in the early 2000’s that the one on the drag was producing one of the best no frills burgers in Austin. I always thought the one on airport wasn’t as good.
  • Like 1

Yeah. That one on the Drag and the one in Oak Hill (where Via Pizza is now) were our typical go-tos. When they closed we'd occasionally venture north to the one on Airport. It wasn't quite the same, and that space was gross. That whole building probably is being held together by spilled beer from upstairs.

Edited by ftf82
can't spell
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Burger Tex was on the drag in that location, next to Antone's Records, at least from the early 90s. I used to play golf at Onion Creek with one of the owners back then. Nice guy. Couldn't putt for shit though.