ShaggyTexas Handover

Viper

Any update on that? I'm kind of curious about what will actually happen to the site afterward? Is it just going to go down and stay down? Does Kevin Morgan have plans to try to keep it going? Does he think he can actually make money on it to the tune of tree fiddy thousand dollars? If so, is he dumb enough to try to run it himself or does he have some team technical people that will do it?

I'm sure that was the driving factor, but he's also a businessman. I'm wondering if he's going to at least try to make some money out of the thing. Or if he's smart enough to realize how unlikely that will be. Given the technical literacy displayed at the trial, I'm unsure of the answer on that.

It was spite.  Now we'll see how smart he is.  If I've learned one thing over the years, it's that you don't want an angry shag/surly community after you.  He should shut it down and walk away.

My guess is he shuts it down and files another bullshit lawsuit once he realizes he acquired hornfans.

I think ol boy Kevin's initial motivation was the ad revenue.  The shag generated a lot of hits/page views and had a demographic that was pretty appealing to some advertisers.

Amazingly, it appears that he thinks the shag will have the same value in his hands as it would have in Bob's or ours collectively.  It seems fairly clear from the deposition transcripts that ol Kev doesn't understand the economics of running a non-commercial website.

I gather that one aspect of the litigation was that Bob didn't run shag like a business, so he had only real records of revenue and not expenses and time, so a picture never emerged of shaggy's net operating value.  So that's where the monetary damage award comes from.

So, I would guess that ol Kev is going to run the shag kind of half ass until the ad revenue dries up and then it dies.

I'm not sure BL got outlawyered, really.  Maybe he did.  But I think that perhaps the jury's sophistication with regard to what is and isn't meant by the term "software" as used in a contract may have been misoverestimated.  And, Bob's visibily cavalier attitude about the whole thing may have set the jury against him.

In many ways, what I can see of the litigation is that it was a really unfortunate convergence of a lot of circumstances:  a sloppy contract, shag understandably not being run as a business, etc. etc.

Edited by TwiceHorn

56 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

hes going to package the data and sell it to cambridge analytica

I think he does one of four things:

• Shuts the whole thing down out of complete spite and/or sells/repurposes the hardware
  • Sells the personal data to various companies like CA. Plenty of companies would love our personal data. Somebody said this could open him up to a lawsuit or two or three though, since people are a might touchy about personal info. At the very least, he would take a huge PR hit for both him and his Eskimo Hut company, because people don’t like it when companies play fast and loose with personal data. 
  • Puts the site up for auction and sees if he can get some money out of it from a spam/link farm, or from somebody who thinks it’s worth it.  LandThieves users would probably make a run at it. 
  • Tries to run it as if nothing happened and collect ad revenue.  This could be feasible for the LandThieves side, since many said they would stay if he leaves it alone, and many/most didn’t even know who owned/maintained it originally

I’m leaning toward him shutting down completely. It’s the easiest and most spiteful thing to do. He may try to have somebody run it, but I don’t think he realizes the expenses that would incur. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DocZaius said:

It's gotta be just for spite.  

Given how completely ignorant his lawyer was on all things internet (and seems likely he's not any better), I'd say he probably thinks he can keep it running and make a bunch of money.  Obviously spite was part of this, but generally you don't get to be a multi-millionaire by spending hundreds of thousands of dollars just to be spiteful.

52 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That’s true. You can’t return an item based purely on spite. 

Well maybe I just changed my mind.

"Too late - you already said spite."

45 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

So the shag was brought down by the head of a frozen daiquiri place we've never heard of?  We are a beaten people.

Are you kidding? Look around. The Shag isn't a URL, man. It's a community of like minded assholes.

We didn't die. We just moved. Screw that guy and his wine coolers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

That's what I think.  I'm sure he was pissed at BL, but I also think he saw a way to make some easy money and had no clue that shaggy's traffic could literally disappear overnight.

He's going to roll in like Hitler at Dunkirk. 

I think there was a lack of realization that Shaggy was a collection of ~500-1,000 friends and acquaintances that generated content that occasionally garnered national attention, but was mostly an excuse to hide from wives, kids, and work and occasionally get together to eat, drink, and play casual sports. If the site generated positive cash flow off of that, great, but positive cash flow wasn't the main goal of Shaggy.

• Like 7

Is it necessary for me to delete my profile over there?  Would it really make a difference?  Pretty sure I didn't leave any personal information.  I did monthly donations for a while through paypal but I cancelled that and I doubt deleting the profile would remove whatever payment information he still has.  I also did not post the facebook chainmail stuff re rome statutes.  I guess I'm fucked.

22 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Just checked too. All the recruit geeks mad it over and that forum is dead. tjhooker solely responsible for new posts in Football. Clueless Cloak Room people are still there.

so best case scenario.