2018 NBA Draft

Machinator

31 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hey, we just had a conversation if Harrison Barnes was worth the 4th pick in the draft.... Nothing is out of bounds in this thread.  It's the stupid season.

It's Christmas !   Never mind the cool red fire truck I am going to get, still asking for that jet pack.

2 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Turn on your sarcasm meter

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hey, we just had a conversation if Harrison Barnes was worth the 4th pick in the draft.... Nothing is out of bounds in this thread.  It's the stupid season.

Both these are accurate.

The thought of Cleveland  trading LeBron for peanuts was just funny to me.  It'd be sort of the "you can't break up with me, because I'm breaking up with you first!".  It'd be a funny publicity stunt for the other team and middle finger to LeBron from the cavs.  

28 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Both these are accurate.

The thought of Cleveland  trading LeBron for peanuts was just funny to me.  It'd be sort of the "you can't break up with me, because I'm breaking up with you first!".  It'd be a funny publicity stunt for the other team and middle finger to LeBron from the cavs.  

Indeed it would be

They've been kind of a mess of an organization in the past, but I don't know why people would hate going there now. They have a good to great PG when he's healthy, a great C, and some decent assets around him. Parsons is a bad contract, but they can be moved. 

I can see why Bamba wouldn't want to go there as he'd be behind Gasol for awhile, but JJJ or Bagley would be a really nice fit there. 

24 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Small market in a crap town.  These guys want to go to cool cities with bitches and nightlife.

Never really understood this.   They aren't there for half of the season and don't have to live there during the offseason.      I think its more of how bad the FO has been over the last few yrs and how they did Fizz.   That was a really bad PR move.

28 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Small market in a crap town.  These guys want to go to cool cities with bitches and nightlife.

Like Orlando, Phoenix, Sacramento, Atlanta (I guess if you like the strippers), and Cleveland?

Not usually too many cool cities at the top of the draft except the annual Knicks pick. Not sure if Memphis would even be in the bottom 10 NBA cities.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

They've been kind of a mess of an organization in the past, but I don't know why people would hate going there now. They have a good to great PG when he's healthy, a great C, and some decent assets around him. Parsons is a bad contract, but they can be moved. 

I can see why Bamba wouldn't want to go there as he'd be behind Gasol for awhile, but JJJ or Bagley would be a really nice fit there. 

They had about 126 coaches the last 5-6 years.  Their front office has been a mess, there was a power struggle which was resolved this spring in ownership, but despite proclamations of staying in Memphis, there are rumors they may be looking to leave.  It's more of an agency issue IMO then team or town issue.  Also the controlling owner, Pera, is having his own issues....

https://bealestreetbears.com/2018/02/21/memphis-grizzlies-ownership-situation-gets-crazier/

This is an agency issue more than a city/team issue.  I think agents and their firms are advising clients to stay away because of so much unrest.  

Thought this was interesting..... Knew about LAC, but not Boston....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Boston moving up makes sense to me. I'm far from a draft aficionado, but isn't next year's class supposed to be weak? If there's someone they really have their eyes on this year, you'd think Sacramento's 2019 Top-1 protected pick and maybe another protected 1st round pick gets them into the Top 10. They're officially in win now mode, trying to maximize their current window before they have to start paying the kids.

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Boston moving up makes sense to me. I'm far from a draft aficionado, but isn't next year's class supposed to be weak? If there's someone they really have their eyes on this year, you'd think Sacramento's 2019 Top-1 protected pick and maybe another protected 1st round pick gets them into the Top 10. They're officially in win now mode, trying to maximize their current window before they have to start paying the kids.

Meh.... I think folks look at how that went with Brooklyn's pick for Cleveland and would want more than a possible top 10 pick and a late first for a top 10 pick this year..... Probably have to give up someone like Rozier.  They can't take on any bad salary right now.

As a Spurs fan, I recognize that their run has been against-all-odds unprecedented for a small market team over the past 20+ years.  But as a fan of the NBA, this action of players getting more and more aggressive about shunning smaller market teams sucks for the game.  We're going to end up with players refusing to play anywhere but GS, NYC, LA, Chicago,  and Houston.    Not sure what that will do to the game's popularity but it seems pretty uninteresting if you know your team has zero chance not just this year, but forever because vets won't come or leverage their way out (see: Paul George and Kawhi Leonard) and new draftees flat refuse to go there (see upthread).

Would Gary Payton stay in Seattle today?  Would Karl Malone stay in SLC?  They'd refuse to re-sign and move to Los Angeles IMO.

Edited by Horn of Gabriel

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Meh.... I think folks look at how that went with Brooklyn's pick for Cleveland and would want more than a possible top 10 pick and a late first for a top 10 pick this year..... Probably have to give up someone like Rozier.  They can't take on any bad salary right now.

Yeah, they'd probably have to give up Rozier and can. I doubt they'll re-sign him next year and have enough depth to overcome his loss. Boston could easily hop into the top 10 this year and probably should.  Even though Sacramento is terrible, their lottery odds have been 10th, 5th, and 7th the last three years, so it's not as good of an asset as people make it out to be.  Boston is better off adding a quality player now rather than waiting a year and it seems like Rozier plus the Kings pick would probably get it done.  I think it really depends if a player they like falls far enough. I'm not sure exactly what number pick it would need to be for them to trade up, but you have to think starting around #4 or #5, teams would start to at least consider their offer. 

16 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

As a Spurs fan, I recognize that their run has been against-all-odds unprecedented for a small market team over the past 20+ years.  But as a fan of the NBA, this action of players getting more and more aggressive about shunning smaller market teams sucks for the game.  We're going to end up with players refusing to play anywhere but GS, NYC, LA, Chicago,  and Houston.    Not sure what that will do to the game's popularity but it seems pretty uninteresting if you know your team has zero chance not just this year, but forever because vets won't come or leverage their way out (see: Paul George and Kawhi Leonard) and new draftees flat refuse to go there (see upthread).

Would Gary Payton stay in Seattle today?  Would Karl Malone stay in SLC?  They'd refuse to re-sign and move to Los Angeles IMO.

Meh, GSW was considered small market a few yrs ago.    NYC hasn't been able to attract a good FA for yrs now and despite all of the rumors that guys wanna go to the Lakers no one has in yrs.   Build a good team and guys will come there.

Edited by d2o

I might include the Memphis pick with the Sac pick before I include Rozier. He's a nice security blanket to have in case Kyrie isn't available, be it to injury, trade, or free agency. 

This is especially true if it looks like Memphis is tanking (I don't think they can or will as long as Gasol and Conley are there), and/or seems likely to fall into the top 10 next year as well. Boston can add another layer of protection: 1-8 it goes back to Memphis, 9-12 Boston keeps it, outside of that it goes to the trading team. I'd think that would peak some interest outside of the top 5.

Just gotta get lucky with the right lottery year and hit on your lotto picks. Hitting big can turn your franchise around quickly

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Bamba to Boston!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

looks like kanter (expiring) and mudiay (1 more season before he becomes a RFA) for parsons works in the trade machine so maybe: kanter + mudiay + the #9 pick for parsons and the #4 pick.  still feels kind of light for memphis.

If the idea is to shed salary then probably not going to be Kanter, who also has a PTO at his disposal.....unless he's down with it.  I'd guess Courtney Lee and Lance Thomas, who has a non-guaranteed number after next season.  God, that team sucks..... they're going to be right back in the top 5 next year too.   One of the top 5 worst owners in the NBA (maybe the worst).  Yuck.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Please God, No!!!!!!  Poor Mo if that happens.  And what are they going to trade up with?  A future pick or are they going to take on Chandler Parsons deal???

Knicks just trying to get their name in the press.  Outside of KP they have nothing to get the 4th pick with

15 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

looks like kanter (expiring) and mudiay (1 more season before he becomes a RFA) for parsons works in the trade machine so maybe: kanter + mudiay + the #9 pick for parsons and the #4 pick.  still feels kind of light for memphis.

If this is true then it reinforces why kids dont wanna get drafter there

Looks like Orlando doesn't necessarily believe Bamba or Doncic will be there at 6.

Weltman and Hammond, the Orlando Magic’s two top basketball decision-makers, prefer to draft players who are tall for their positions and also have long arms. Hammond started the pattern during his nine-year tenure as general manager of the Milwaukee Bucks. Weltman continued the trend last year when he drafted Isaac for the Magic.

Weltman and Hammond just might deviate from their pattern during the 2018 NBA Draft on Thursday night.

The Magic own the No. 6 pick. Assuming the team doesn’t trade the pick, Orlando likely will choose between Duke big man Wendell Carter Jr., Kentucky forward Kevin Knox, Missouri forward Michael Porter Jr., Alabama point guard Collin Sexton and Oklahoma point guard Trae Young.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-magic-nba-draft-preview-0621-story.html