Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/11/2019 at 9:44 AM, 'stache said:

I really like the shoulder and helmet stripes as a nod to the Dallas Cowboys. I'm skeptical that marketing themselves as "Dallas'" college football team will work. I hope it does though. If I still lived in Dallas, I'd much prefer to attend a game in Dallas that is exciting and well attended instead of going to Arlington for a Cowboys game. But college is tough when most fans already have a loyalty to one of the state's P-5 schools. The University of Tulsa has tried for years to market themselves as the "city's" team, but everyone is loyal to OU or OSU, or another big school if they aren't from here and didn't attend school here. Their best moves have been to play as many Thursday and Friday home games as possible. I try to support them when it doesn't conflict directly with an OSU game.

Yeah I'm willing to guess that even Arkansas has more fans/alumni in Tulsa vs. TU, with Fayetteville being a quick 90 minute drive away. I also see a good amount of KU stuff around town as well. 

TU is just way too small and they also get a good bit of their enrollment from other cities in the region, particularly St. Louis and Kansas City, where they target kids looking for small private school experience....those alumni then often just move back to where they were from.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I also love the classic Pitt look. 

When I look back at our uniforms from the 60's and 70's, I never understand why they didn't stick.  They're unquestionably better than anything that came after them.

020115b.jpg

FFXUUASOFABQUAI.20121218225312.jpg

IAXISU7678%20(3).jpg

IAXISU6970%20(3).JPG

senior-captains.jpg

(throwback in 2007)

I like your current bright yellow over the more mustard-y look, but otherwise yeah those are great. And nothing like USC.

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I like your current bright yellow over the more mustard-y look, but otherwise yeah those are great. And nothing like USC.

Exactly.

The current iteration is fine, but it's very modern.  It definitely doesn't look like USC any more, and thank god we got rid of the black accents, but you just can't beat classic uniform design.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

38 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Ohhh these are very sharp.

I love that lots schools are kind of going "back to basics" on uniforms.  There's a reason why uniforms were designed this way in the first place. They look fucking great.

NFL teams could learn to do the same. Eagles, Dolphins, Rams and Falcons old school unis, logos and colors, in particular, are so far superior to their current version

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly.

The current iteration is fine, but it's very modern.  It definitely doesn't look like USC any more, and thank god we got rid of the black accents, but you just can't beat classic uniform design.

Agreed. But I think the mustard darker yellow like in the 2007 throwbacks you posted would be fucking awesome. Not to mention it would be another color and uniform design that would be different, not just similar to another school's color (ala USC), and be instantly recognizable if they kept the same color/design for more than a couple of years.  

18 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Agreed. But I think the mustard darker yellow like in the 2007 throwbacks you posted would be fucking awesome. Not to mention it would be another color and uniform design that would be different, not just similar to another school's color (ala USC), and be instantly recognizable if they kept the same color/design for more than a couple of years.  

As would I.  Seems more of a "true" gold, I guess.  As opposed to yellow (official colors are cardinal & gold).

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

NFL teams could learn to do the same. Eagles, Dolphins, Rams and Falcons old school unis, logos and colors, in particular, are so far superior to their current version

Agreed. The late 1990s/early 2000s "muted color" look of the Eagles, Pats, Rams, etc., are garbage.

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

The Rams blue and yellow unis and helmets are better than the blue and white. Kelly Green for the Eagles unis instead of the darker shade too.

I think the blue and yellow unis are classic, but the blue and white is unexpectedly better. It just looks good. (Obviously the soft gold ones were the worst)

gettyimages-836365258.jpg

095855998206.png

• Like 1

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

I wasn't a fan of the Rams blue and white helmet paired with their regular white, gold and blue unis they trot out. Just looks mismatched. The blue and white helmet with their throwback blue and white unis are sharp as fuck.

Apparently, just like with Pitt in CFB, the lead time for changing uniforms is longer than changing helmets, so the helmets tend to lead any new look, with the downside of a funny mismatched year.

19 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I wasn't a fan of the Rams blue and white helmet paired with their regular white, gold and blue unis they trot out. Just looks mismatched. The blue and white helmet with their throwback blue and white unis are sharp as fuck.

This is the correct take on the rams.  Blue and white is fine when it's paired with blue and white.  I like the classic blue and gold too.  Anything but the late 90's early 00's unis.  I think they changed to that shade around the same time as Pitt.  Both moves were mistakes.

7 minutes ago, Player said:

every time I see a cardinal logo with teeth, I always think of...

And the Vikings are another team that desperately needs to ditch all of the tricked out cutting edge shit they've done with their uniforms. 

As a Vikings fan, I wholeheartedly agree.

Thankfully the current look is basically the classic look on modern equipment.  The shit we had during AP's hey day was gross.

hi-res-19e9f6f656da44d69caa7be3ae0552db_

Name on the jersey aside, this is light years ahead of this:

jaredallen.jpg?resize=753,405&ssl=1

I do love the grey facemask mesh throwbacks

24-oct-10_98787408js114_miami_dolphin.0.

• Like 1

OSU will wear a Boone sticker on the helmet the rest of the year. Size and location still unknown. Out of respect, I hope we agree to not dishonor his legacy by using the barbed wire bowling ball helmet at all this year.

BOONE.jpeg

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/football/2019/9/12/20862135/oklahoma-state-football-uniforms-helmet-decal-logo-honor-t-boone-pickens-death-legacy-2019

Just now, 'stache said:

OSU will wear a Boone sticker on the helmet the rest of the year. Size and location still unknown. Out of respect, I hope we agree to not dishonor his legacy by using the barbed wire bowling ball helmet at all this year.

BOONE.jpeg

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/football/2019/9/12/20862135/oklahoma-state-football-uniforms-helmet-decal-logo-honor-t-boone-pickens-death-legacy-2019

If I was God of college football, you would never deviate from this:

5bd8a77902754.image.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

BOONE.jpeg

Same for the stupid gray unis. I hate those so much.

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Throw the Cardinals in there as well. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I guess it’s due to the helmet design but not a fan of the logo so far back of helmet, makes it look uneven imo. 

I was quite fond of the look we brought out for the Tulsa game. Similar to week 1, but with the original Pistol Pete on the helmet and orange pants.

I don't mind this at all.  I just LOVE the triple stripe on the helmet.  It was a very nice especially considering we wore the gray abominations last week.  Also - I think TU's uniforms were pretty slick as well.

spacer.png

Edited by oSuJeff97