Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Aslan24 said:

New Oklahoma Alternates this weekend. They are called the Prentice Gautt "Unity" uniforms which pay homage to the first Black scholarship athlete at Oklahoma.

Gonna take more than fancy uniforms to soften the blow

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Aslan24 said:

New Oklahoma Alternates this weekend. They are called the Prentice Gautt "Unity" uniforms which pay homage to the first Black scholarship athlete at Oklahoma.

As for an "alternate uniform," how wonderfully common while also being contrived at the same time.

It's very hard to find any good pictures of the field because no one did any promotion for it apparently, but the field design for the BYU vs. Notre Dame game this weekend was gorgeous!

2025907574_NotreDame.thumb.jpg.9bd43e135ba24f021c6978c865447cc4.jpg

It's a shame there aren't many decent pictures floating around because the endzones and centerfield logo were terrific.

3 minutes ago, Aslan24 said:

Oregon State going with a throwback sailor helmet this weekend.

The helmet is a 10/10. The photoshoot with the players untucked jerseys and long undershirt is... not as great lol.

Actually I take that back. They've done the "Retro Benny" uniform before and it was a lot better in the past.

1015364161_OregonState.thumb.jpg.01abb13aee94dd04ff202026c527b50a.jpg

1795700820_OregonState2.thumb.jpg.3a8c38aa13f569ee0235a47ff7fb6b14.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Aslan24 said:

It's very hard to find any good pictures of the field because no one did any promotion for it apparently, but the field design for the BYU vs. Notre Dame game this weekend was gorgeous!

2025907574_NotreDame.thumb.jpg.9bd43e135ba24f021c6978c865447cc4.jpg

It's a shame there aren't many decent pictures floating around because the endzones and centerfield logo were terrific.

The 3-D lettering in the end zone was sharp. 

• 2 weeks later...

All this variety, creativity and homage-paying is fine, but . . . what are all these alternate helmets, unis and shoes costing?

Texas, Bama, Pedo St, Michigan, even hated and despised Auburn and aggy unis are just fine as is, freeing up their athletic departments’ monies for better use. I guess I’m just an old fart and fiscally conservative, hate to see good money spent on what’s essentially a never ending series of football fashion weeks. Phil Knight started all this shit. Seriously, what does an entire (85? 100?) set of alternate helmets cost? I mean there are oligarchs starving in Russia, Phil.  I picked a bad week to stop taking psilocybin. I blame Hypnotoad.

4 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

All this variety, creativity and homage-paying is fine, but . . . what are all these alternate helmets, unis and shoes costing?

Texas, Bama, Pedo St, Michigan, even hated and despised Auburn and aggy unis are just fine as is, freeing up their athletic departments’ monies for better use. I guess I’m just an old fart and fiscally conservative, hate to see good money spent on what’s essentially a never ending series of football fashion weeks. Phil Knight started all this shit. Seriously, what does an entire (85? 100?) set of alternate helmets cost? I mean there are oligarchs starving in Russia, Phil.  I picked a bad week to stop taking psilocybin. I blame Hypnotoad.

You realize the companies making the uniforms are paying the schools, right? It doesn’t cost the schools anything. In fact it makes them more money on licensing fees when those alternate jerseys get sold in stores and online to fans. 

16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You realize the companies making the uniforms are paying the schools, right? It doesn’t cost the schools anything. In fact it makes them more money on licensing fees when those alternate jerseys get sold in stores and online to fans. 

Well, I’ll be damned. I didn’t know that was true for the “uniform pron” special one and done unis, helmets and shoes. WTB, thanks for the most UnSurly tone of your information sharing, as old Llama learns about the commercial world of college sports marketing.

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Well, I’ll be damned. I didn’t know that was true for the “uniform pron” special one and done unis, helmets and shoes. WTB, thanks for the most UnSurly tone of your information sharing, as old Llama learns about the commercial world of college sports marketing.

I suppose I could’ve been more surly but didn’t want to be impolite. (??)

But yeah, it’s the shoe/apparel companies who drive the alternate unis. All the clothing you see coaches and players wearing that has the school and company logos on it all comes as part of the deal. I assumed that was common knowledge.

These deals are pretty big. I don’t know how it works at smaller schools, probably the same way it does at bigger schools, just for less money. But Texas’ deal with Nike is for 15 years at $250 Million. Ohio State’s Nike deal, finalized after that, is for 15 years at $252 Million. (Just over a year after winning the first CFP. That Gene Smith, what a deal maker. But I digress.) They include more than just uniform and apparel for the team. They include things like t-shirts for the student section, donations to the general scholarship fund, student internships, discretionary funds for use outside athletics, etc. Licensing is a huge revenue stream for college athletics. The schools get paid. They don’t pay for anything.

It sucks, though, that I wind up having to pay $75-$100 for an OSU Nike hoodie made in China that probably cost them pennies to make.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t know how it works at smaller schools, probably the same way it does at bigger schools, just for less money.

It definitely doesn't work like that for G5, or at least most of G5 (I'd venture the Cinci, UCF and Boise types are more P5 structured).  It's been a while since I delved into the uniform/apparel contracts, but most aren't getting any money at all.  They'll get their gear at cost and some amount of credit - say $100K to spend on that gear.  So if it cost $200K to outfit all athletes and coaches for a year, their bill is $100K.  

Example:

The University of Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners, for example, have a deal with Adidas. That contract includes a $275,000 apparel and equipment allowance and zero cash annually.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/blog/2014/01/utsas-adidas-deal-a-bargain-compared.html

• 2 weeks later...