VR Gaming Megathread

Shenanigans

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

I just won a MetaQuest2 at my company’s Christmas party. Everyone still a fan? It comes with BeatSaber and ResidentEvil4. Any other games/apps considered a must have?

If you want to play some shooters, check out Contractors! They recently released a whole mod framework that's basically put every shooter into VR. $20 on the oculus store!

This youtube channel has a whole bunch of footage, and it all runs on just the headset!!! It's fuckin nuts

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you're gonna play a bunch of beatsaber or pistolwhip or any other physical games, I'd really recommend getting a "sport face cushion" (~$35) that's vented. Otherwise your lenses can get fogged up and it gets all gross. Also, some good "knuckle" style controller grips (~$20) are great for more physical games. And if you really wanna go nuts, a better headstrap (~$40) is wayyyyy more comfortable and will press less against your face while you play.

I kinda bought one things after another as I got tired of being uncomfortable while playing Half Life Alyx and trying to get Skyrim VR working lol. Still haven't gotten Skyrim to work right though

• 2 weeks later...

Got two Meta Quests 2 headsets for the kids. These things are fricking sweet, but holy smokes the UI is a beating. Been reading all over the place, but can’t get a clear answer on one thing. I know you can log in to additional accounts from a single headset (allowing you to play games from different accounts), but is there any way to truly share a game across multiple units? For example, I purchased a game on one unit. I can login to that account and play it from a second unit, but I don’t see any way for both kids to play the same game at the same time. Do I have to purchase the game on both units to allow for them to play together?

So cool. Santa brought one for one of the boys. Came with Beat Saber and Resident Evil.  I purchased Moss.  I'll be playing some. Waiting for bedtime to try Resident Evil. 

Having a blast with Beat Saber. 

What is the best boxing game? 

Edited by Chico_SA

I also got one for my son. Set up the primary account as mine for parental controls, etc., his is secondary, only to find out you can’t Cast from the secondary account.

No sure on sharing across units, but it doesn’t look possible from what I’ve seen.

I'm having way more fun with this things than the kids. One of them is obnoxiously annoying playing Among Us, but other than that, they seem to enjoy their Nintendo Switch much more. Haven't found a game that I think they can really latch onto yet, but they may just be a little young at 8 and 9 years old though.

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

I'm having way more fun with this things than the kids. One of them is obnoxiously annoying playing Among Us, but other than that, they seem to enjoy their Nintendo Switch much more. Haven't found a game that I think they can really latch onto yet, but they may just be a little young at 8 and 9 years old though.

Is Fall Guys in VR?  My kids love that game on the Switch and that seems like one that'd be just right for VR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 5:10 PM, BoomMF said:

Meta Quest Pro with the new price worth it as a Quest 2 upgrade? Is there something on the horizon we might want to wait for?

There's been rumors and reporting of a valve all in one headset like the quest 2, and it'll be connected to your steam library. But it'll also be much more expensive because you're not subsiding it with your data and advertising impressions

That said if you can't wait, I've been genuinely impressed with my quest 2 and it streams Half Life Alyx fully wirelessly from my desktop without a hitch, which feels like witchcraft 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, BoomMF said:

You'd have a hard time convincing me to jump into an Apple-run VR ecosystem at this point. Any other ecosystem than those already established, really.

If you are in the Apple ecosystem, then you're already somewhat in the would-be Apple VR ecosystem, since a lot of what they are promising is taking the existing system and just making it presentable in VR/AR.

They'll come out with a cheaper one - the original MacBook Air from 2008 launched at the equivalent of around $2,600 in today's dollars, and now the MBAs start at $999.

Well, maybe.  The Quest 2 has a resolution of 1,832 x 1920, and I don't see Apple dropping down that low - it's just like when they bumped their laptops up to "retina" or whatever, they stopped making lower-resolution laptops, so I doubt they drop below 4K displays. The price will have to drop not because they make a cheap/lower quality one but because the manufacturing is cheaper over time.

It was an odd presentation - this is more akin to what Zuckerberg has talked about at times, where you are doing a lot of stuff in VR/AR that you normally do sitting at a desk or whatever, looking at a computer screen. They clearly wanted to avoid the dorky shit that Zuckerberg has promoted.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...