Pellet Grills and Smokers

Teamdirtyleg

Rip,

That Traeger is a nice model that should overall do the trick.    It's a got a lot of space between the two racks (646 sq in lower and 240 upper.)   No WiFi like the Pro 575 or 780 but $50-$200 less than either with a lot of more space.

If you want to cook this weekend, where do you plan on getting it from?   Unless you can pick it up local Amazon or BBQ Guys probably can't get it to you before next week.

I'm leaning toward not going with WiFi now for two reasons:

1.  Bang for the buck like Al said.  I like the idea of WiFi but I I also tend to be around the house when cooking so checking on it is no big deal versus using an app.  Maybe my inner cave man still likes to think that checking and doing a little tinkering is what makes cooking fun.

2.  Wifi in my backyard sucks.   My router is in the front of the house and even with boosters (that I have tried) there isn't much of a difference.   The router is in the office and if I move it toward the back, it sucks in the office (where I work.)  

Al, how does your Pit Boss do in cooler weather?  Are you in Texas or Iowa.   Id be curious how it does if you are in Iowa.  

Rip,
That Traeger is a nice model that should overall do the trick.    It's a got a lot of space between the two racks (646 sq in lower and 240 upper.)   No WiFi like the Pro 575 or 780 but $50-$200 less than either with a lot of more space.
If you want to cook this weekend, where do you plan on getting it from?   Unless you can pick it up local Amazon or BBQ Guys probably can't get it to you before next week.
I'm leaning toward not going with WiFi now for two reasons:
1.  Bang for the buck like Al said.  I like the idea of WiFi but I I also tend to be around the house when cooking so checking on it is no big deal versus using an app.  Maybe my inner cave man still likes to think that checking and doing a little tinkering is what makes cooking fun.
2.  Wifi in my backyard sucks.   My router is in the front of the house and even with boosters (that I have tried) there isn't much of a difference.   The router is in the office and if I move it toward the back, it sucks in the office (where I work.)  

Al, how does your Pit Boss do in cooler weather?  Are you in Texas or Iowa.   Id be curious how it does if you are in Iowa.  

I’m in Iowa, but I just got it in May and haven’t had cold weather yet, so I can’t really speak to it. I know they can struggle in the cold, and I’ll find out what it’s like this winter.

I’ll definitely update this thread on how it performs in the cold once winter kicks in.

Update:

Next door neighbor and I were talking about this and he said "Try my internet connection"... Bam.  Full signal.   Ok.  Good news.  Then looked at my extender inside and swapped it with another one upstairs.  Full signal.  And the one I moved upstairs was at full strength.  Whatever.

Drove over to a store selling Green Mountain, Traeger and Camp Chef pellet grils and spent a good while talking with the owner who knows a lot about them.  The Daniel Boone Prime WiFi was on sale for $699.  Pulled the trigger.  Need an insert top rack to increase overall cooking area if I want to cook for more people but I just increased my "normal" cook space by 50%.  Will try and put it together tomorrow afternoon, do a burner cook and then ribs on Saturday.

Looking forward to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Update:

Next door neighbor and I were talking about this and he said "Try my internet connection"... Bam.  Full signal.   Ok.  Good news.  Then looked at my extender inside and swapped it with another one upstairs.  Full signal.  And the one I moved upstairs was at full strength.  Whatever.

Drove over to a store selling Green Mountain, Traeger and Camp Chef pellet grils and spent a good while talking with the owner who knows a lot about them.  The Daniel Boone Prime WiFi was on sale for $699.  Pulled the trigger.  Need an insert top rack to increase overall cooking area if I want to cook for more people but I just increased my "normal" cook space by 50%.  Will try and put it together tomorrow afternoon, do a burner cook and then ribs on Saturday.

Looking forward to it. 

Just picked up the Traeger at Academy in Pearland.

And now...  Pellets.  How long can they be stored and under what circumstances? 

I'm in the Houston area and humidity sucks. 

How much should I keep on hand and where?  It's not like I can have multiple 20 lb bags inside (in the house vs. In the garage) and I'm not even sure that would help all that much. 

Assuming I'd like to cook every weekend, do I need to buy before hand or is there a way to store them outside in some kind "dry" container?

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

How much should I keep on hand and where?  It's not like I can have multiple 20 lb bags inside (in the house vs. In the garage) and I'm not even sure that would help all that much. 

Assuming I'd like to cook every weekend, do I need to buy before hand or is there a way to store them outside in some kind "dry" container?

5 gallon bucket with lid from home depot, lowes, hardware store etc...

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Can you define "never see direct sunlight"? 

My whole patio is covered, and when smoking I just move my Rec Tec to the edge where it can vent into the yard.

Plus the patio faces east and there's plenty of shade trees.

I would imagine that pellets disintegrate mainly when it has hot sun beating down on it after a hard rain.

I keep my pellets in their bag inside of a plastic tote in my garage.  My garage isn't insulated, so it can get pretty hot and steamy in the summer, but keeping the bag sealed and the tote lid closed has kept moisture out and kept my pellets in shape.

I understand that my humidity is not Houston humidity, but it's enough to fuck with wood pellets.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m in Iowa, but I just got it in May and haven’t had cold weather yet, so I can’t really speak to it. I know they can struggle in the cold, and I’ll find out what it’s like this winter.

I’ll definitely update this thread on how it performs in the cold once winter kicks in.

They make insulation blankets for use in cold climates.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Just over four years now with a Louisiana Grills model. I like it a lot. I'm able to grill and smoke. I got this model because it was still made in North America, rather than China.

https://louisiana-grills.com/shop/grills/

The FAQ section on their site says they are made in China now

On 9/24/2020 at 8:32 PM, Macanudo said:

https://www.amazon.com/Buddeez-Kingsford-Kadddy-Charcoal-Dispenser/dp/B00HQE1QT2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kingsford+charcoal+storage&qid=1601512228&sr=8-1

I have two of these. Each will store 40 lbs of pellets

18 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I have a green mountain. Love it. But ever since an electrical storm in may, she hasn’t been the same. The temp gauge is all borked. Seriously considering a Weber Pellet. Does anyone have one? Would recommend? 

11 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The Weber pellets have had a ton of issues.  I would stay away given the premium price tag it has.

This^ from everything I’ve seen.  And I’m about as big a Weber fanboi as there is.  Apparently their pellet grills are a shit show.

18 hours ago, Patron said:

I don't own one but considered buying before the rollout was a disaster. Supposedly they have corrected the problems but I would research the grill. You could start here.

https://tvwbb.com/forums/weber-pellet-grills.147/

OMG that is depressing. I’ll wait for version two or three I guess.

41 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

So when do you open/close the thing underneath the grates?

is it closed for smoking and opened for searing?

I've got a Pit Boss and it has a sliding plate that will either expose the fire pot for searing or close for an indirect/smoking option. Don't think the other brands have this option.

On 9/23/2020 at 3:07 PM, Macanudo said:

Is WiFi enabled really worth it?   I can see it being one of those things that I'd love if I had it but I've been cooking for 30 years without it so....   

It allows you to go do something else while the smoker heats up or during the cook. I can check the temp from my house or where ever I happen to be. It has a notification for when the temp has reached my pre-set or when the temperature of the meat has reached whatever temp I've set an alarm for. For me it's tremendously convenient and a great luxury. I bought a recteq 700 a few months ago and absolutely love it. 

15 hours ago, Chopper said:

It allows you to go do something else while the smoker heats up or during the cook. I can check the temp from my house or where ever I happen to be. It has a notification for when the temp has reached my pre-set or when the temperature of the meat has reached whatever temp I've set an alarm for. For me it's tremendously convenient and a great luxury. I bought a recteq 700 a few months ago and absolutely love it. 

I bought the thermo pro Bluetooth wireless probes. It has a 300ft range so I just set it up and watch football inside.  I prefer not to leave the house while doing cooking so it’s not a must. 

Did this today. 

3847FE39-8987-4CF2-8864-5A049D224624.jpeg

594781AF-60ED-4C3A-AF69-AC418C128883.jpeg

Edited by Bevo VIII
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, NateHitch said:

If you set the temp to 250 or whatever then what is the need to check it? I don't have a pellet smoker but don't you set the temp like you would an oven?

I can check the temp of the smoker and/or the temp of the meat. It sends an alarm for any preset of the meat temp, when the smoker reaches my desired temp, or if the smoker is running hot for whatever reason. 

Edited by Chopper

On 10/3/2020 at 10:43 PM, Chopper said:

You can also change the temp from anywhere, or turn it on or off.  Prior to covid I'd put a brisket on at night, go to sleep, and would usually be wrapping up the stall right about the time we were headed to the meet and greet with the pastor in the parlor after worship.  "(checking my smoker app on cell phone) oops, can't engage in awkward small talk, gotta go pull and rest my brisket!"

Edited by BearSchlong
*wrap for the stall

Kamado Joe apparently started shipping their 'pellet Kamado' - can't say I see any use for it over a more conventional pellet smoker, don't really need the ceramic stability for pellet since you're constantly metering the fuel in, and the kamado shape gives less cooking surface than a conventional smoker. And it's priced at 2k which can put you into a lower-end Yoder, or put you into a 'normal' charcoal Kamado with a quality fan controller that allows the same set-and-forget wireless convenience for less money.

my stepbrother was on the local morning show this morning cooking these ribs.  That is his website.

https://theyeastpriest.com/2020/10/04/ham-ribs-with-sriracha-honey-glaze/

He made these for our dad's birthday last month.  He's a pellet smoker guy too.

https://kfdm.com/news/the-morning-show/good-food-friday-jeffrey-wheeler?fbclid=IwAR22CMiVEOM9FY2J8AV4afrxiNkIAz4QARmW9ZPCgXfvJidOkLf76SF-DFs

Edited by BearSchlong

Went out to the lake last weekend for my wife’s birthday and a buddy of mine brought his small traeger smoker that i cooked a brisket on. Never used one of these before but damn it really is set it and forget it. Not quite as fun as a normal smoke but very easy to start, go to sleep, wake up to wrap, and pull off in the morning. Turned out great too. 

47077473-1DF8-4BA8-AB5E-BB3F174A0326.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Need advice on Painting a smoker, not smoking. 

I had an extreme heat incident that resulted in mild paint damage to the barrel. I thought it was an opportunity to paint it in a non-black color to give it character. The 1200F+ temperature rated paints only come in black, silver, primer, and clear coat. There are more colors at 900-1000F rating (intended for headers and brake calipers), but they are bright loud colors. Then down at 500-550F rating are engine paints in almost every color. Because the smoker could shoot up to 500F during some rare excursion (like what happened to me last week), I’m hesitant to put the 500F engine paint alone. Does anyone know if using a 1200F primer on the barrel, and 1200F clear coat finish would “protect” the 500F engine paint?

On 9/24/2020 at 8:32 PM, Macanudo said:

In Tulsa, the humidity was high enough over a month of winter non-use to deteriorate the pellets in my Traeger hopper and congeal the dust in the auger, jamming it.  It's pretty easy to disassemble, and clear the jam, and it's fine now.
However, if I expect a period of idleness, I'll remove the pellets from the hopper and store in a freezer ziploc bag (and run the auger long enough to clear the tube (and wet/dry vac the little smoke pot).
I buy the pellets by the bag from Amazon (full wood), and store in a plastic Kingsford charcoal container.  One for mesquite, one for hickory, one for pecan

1530653419_Screenshot2020-10-19100742.jpg.f86d368588b66aacacdb2db5ce3eda3d.jpg

Edited by TeeDubya

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Need advice on Painting a smoker, not smoking. 

I had an extreme heat incident that resulted in mild paint damage to the barrel. I thought it was an opportunity to paint it in a non-black color to give it character. The 1200F+ temperature rated paints only come in black, silver, primer, and clear coat. There are more colors at 900-1000F rating (intended for headers and brake calipers), but they are bright loud colors. Then down at 500-550F rating are engine paints in almost every color. Because the smoker could shoot up to 500F during some rare excursion (like what happened to me last week), I’m hesitant to put the 500F engine paint alone. Does anyone know if using a 1200F primer on the barrel, and 1200F clear coat finish would “protect” the 500F engine paint?

Eh, you should be fine.  What's the worst that could happen?

Went down this rabbit hole after reading this thread. Have a WSM, but honestly, the cleaning and upkeep of it are a major turn off. Looking at the Yoder 640, just not sure if competition series or regular. Competition series really just gives u better shelves (which I can buy for $250) and better wheels. The upcharge is almost $700. Leaning towards regular and buying the upgrades I need like stainless shelves and diffuser plate. Any ideas?

Edited by Fat Bastard

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Just FYI, I'm not sure what you're calling cleaning and upkeep on a WSM, but you're just trading a different set of cleaning and upkeep going to a pellet machine. Be aware they aren't zero-maintenance devices.

LOL yeah, not replacing the foil covering my drip pan for about 8-10 smokes caused a mini-grease fire that contributed to the paint melting i mentioned a few posts up. You still have to replace the foil or clean the drip tray, empty the grease drippings bucket, and vacuum out the ash every so often. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

40 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

WtF?  I "might" hose my wsm off every few months.   

Maintenance?  Hahahaha .

Count me in the confused camp too. I'm now self conscious about how little effort I put into cleaning and maintaining my WSM.

Dump the ash out after a cook, clean the grates. I also don't bother foil lining the water pan so I spend 1-2 minutes dumping the water out and wiping the inside with simple green. Total I spend maybe 10 minutes cleaning stuff after a cook, and most of that is necessary with any type of cooker. I certainly can't imagine seeing it as a "major turn off."