Pellet Grills and Smokers

Teamdirtyleg

On 12/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

My FIL has a group of hunters that have hunted his place for years. They come the weekend after Thanksgiving and hunt all week. It's mostly guys he came up through the USDA with that all retired around the same time. This year, the group bought him a Traeger 780 Pro, so I'm thinking about getting him some accessories or something for Christmas. Looking on line, it looks like it's got the wifi temp control, but doesn't have the meat temp probes like Recteq, so I'm leaning towards a nice Bluetooth thermometer. Anything else I'm not thinking of? It's got a cover and it's going to go in his outdoor kitchen, so doesn't need a shelf. 

https://meater.com

7 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Looks like a 6-7 pounder.  What temp and how long did you cook it it?  I'm guessing 225 for about 6 hours?

At 225....up to 115...then pulled and temporarily wrapped until grill temp increased to 400...put back in untill 125...wrapped and rested 30-45 min overall time was about 5.5 hrs.

On 10/4/2020 at 3:03 PM, immamac said:

No one using a yoder pellet smoker? 

I just pulled the trigger on this one.  Shipping in 8-9 weeks though.

Have had a Traeger for a while but started to run in to problems with it dumping pellets into the firebox and the entire grill will shut down.

I move the pellet grill around a lot based on wind direction, so I said screw it and bought it with the competition cart.

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

Bering’s finally got my GMG Jim Bowie Prime in. Delivery and setup scheduled for this Saturday.

Went to B&W meat market and stocked up and Lumberjack pellets. Amazing deal compared to what I’ve seen on line. $11/20lb bag. Bought 18 bags.

319b3a1a97154f63ea1b4b29ba31d3d2.jpg

Planning on doing my initial burn in immediately and segueing into this shit I picked up at H-E-B. Thankfully it was still open:

997f76aa83b4cf78c3e8e8ab7a98e710.jpg

be6cb48d114cd3261e413f727c8c8ab4.jpg

8e89d3f1314607ce7eda76b35fc93f00.jpg

Planning on going at 225F on the brisket. Hoping like hell I don’t fuck it up. Pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bering’s finally got my GMG Jim Bowie Prime in. Delivery and setup scheduled for this Saturday.

Went to B&W meat market and stocked up and Lumberjack pellets. Amazing deal compared to what I’ve seen on line. $11/20lb bag. Bought 18 bags.

Planning on doing my initial burn in immediately and segueing into this shit I picked up at H-E-B. Thankfully it was still open:

Planning on going at 225F on the brisket. Hoping like hell I don’t fuck it up. Pointers?

15 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

yeah...get a upper rack and pellet tube smoker (if you ever want extra smoke)  you can get both off of Amazon quick and reasonably priced......

see post 253....that's my GMG Daniel Boone

Lumberjack pellets are all I use. I've got a Traeger Ironwood 650 and a Camp Chef Woodwind 36 but I still have my traditional offset smoker, which I use when I have time to babysit the cook.

Pellet grills are fantastic and pretty versatile. I've made all kinds of shit on mine from brisket, ribs, queso, smoked cheese, fish and even pizzas. I've had brisket almost as good as a traditional smoker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 11:16 AM, VirginiaLonghorn said:

https://www.recteq.com/RT-590-Pellet-Grill_5

My Christmas present arrived.  Thank me, very much!

Hope the hours reading reviews and watching YouTube videos pay off.  If weight and materials equate to sturdy, it’ll probably outlast me.

First cook done.  9.2 pound butt, 10 hours at 250F.  So much easier than messing around with either of my stick smokers ... SOOOO much easier.  Santa be good to me!

B5B60F24-6F3B-461B-80FC-98821DA362C5.jpeg

EAF1335E-3283-4A26-98F2-E3DBB4CD5C9A.jpeg

5AD43866-7BD0-4E9E-8901-3173D56CE9B9.jpeg

8D2760E8-29B7-42CB-8AB7-336CF56D95F8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve decided to replace my electric smoker with a Rec Teq. Will mainly be cooking for me and the wife, occasionally groups of 4-8. I also have a built in propane grill for my normal grilling. 

Everything I’m seeing the 340 should be sufficient especially with the add on rack. However I’m a little nervous that I’ll regret not going up to the 590.  The smaller size and lower cost and advantage to the 340. I could buy $300 worth of pellets and meat if I went with the 340. 

Does anyone have experience with ~350 in pellet grills? Any regrets? 

Did a prime rib for Christmas with my BIL, he has a 5-series vertical Pit Boss. We put the prime rib roast in my sous vide for about 36 hours at 125, then put it in the smoker at 170 for about 5 hours and monitored the interior temp to make sure it didn't rise. It was pretty outstanding. I don't need one quite that big, so gonna get a 4-series. I gave my stick smoker away, and have just been using a cheap barrel smoker from HEB, but just haven't done any briskets.

CHIEF

11 hours ago, Archer said:

I’ve decided to replace my electric smoker with a Rec Teq. Will mainly be cooking for me and the wife, occasionally groups of 4-8. I also have a built in propane grill for my normal grilling. 

Everything I’m seeing the 340 should be sufficient especially with the add on rack. However I’m a little nervous that I’ll regret not going up to the 590.  The smaller size and lower cost and advantage to the 340. I could buy $300 worth of pellets and meat if I went with the 340. 

If you've got the budget, get the 590.  If not, get the 350.  I started out looking at the 700 and talked to my buddy that has one and he said I should look at the 590 because the 700 is huge.  But I would definitely be able to work with the 350, especially with a rack.  I don't think you'd regret it.  For you and the wife, it would be perfect.  We've got similar requirements and I know it would do the job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NoName said:

only know a few folks who have them but everyone i know who does loves it.

didn't @immamac or @Big D just buy one?

I bought one, but still waiting for www.Allthingsbbq.com to ship it.  The competition cart ones were 8 - 9 weeks out.  I had a Traeger but I always had trouble with the thing over dumping pellets into the burner and clogging it up.  

A couple of buddies have Yoder’s and they seem to be a great smoker/grill.  They are built like a tank and hold the heat extremely well.  I’ll repot back when it gets here.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Aces_Full said:

In market for pellet grill.  Max budget is approx 2k.   Looking at Pitts&Spits, Gator Pits, & Rec Tec.   Any advice?   Mainly smoking & grilling meats 

This is the one I bought.  It’s only $199 above your budget. 

https://www.atbbq.com/grills-and-smokers/pellet/yoder-smokers-ys640s-pellet-grill-acs-wifi-competition-cart.html

Or if you don’t plan on moving it much get this one.  Only $1,799.00

https://www.atbbq.com/grills-and-smokers/pellet/yoder-smokers-ys640s-pellet-grill-with-acs.html

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

It’s like brisket point on a bone

I clicked the thread, went to the end, and scrolled up thinking that looks like nice point, then realized it was ribs.

At the last minute I got nominated to cook the brisket/ribs for the Super Bowl party.  Thought it was going to be me, the wife, and one other couple, but now it's 5 couples.  Hope they're vaccinated.

2 things I'm doing this time on the brisket that I usually don't do is 1) I'm using mustard as a binder for the kosher salt and just a ton of course black pepper (trying to see how much bark I can get), and 2) I'm spraying it periodically with water until the wrap because Franklin stresses that in his book.

On the pork ribs, I'm going to sauce them during the cook which I've never done.

Fuck it, I need to go back to HEB and get 2 more racks of baby backs.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I clicked the thread, went to the end, and scrolled up thinking that looks like nice point, then realized it was ribs.

At the last minute I got nominated to cook the brisket/ribs for the Super Bowl party.  Thought it was going to be me, the wife, and one other couple, but now it's 5 couples.  Hope they're vaccinated.

2 things I'm doing this time on the brisket that I usually don't do is 1) I'm using mustard as a binder for the kosher salt and just a ton of course black pepper (trying to see how much bark I can get), and 2) I'm spraying it periodically with water until the wrap because Franklin stresses that in his book.

On the pork ribs, I'm going to sauce them during the cook which I've never done.

Fuck it, I need to go back to HEB and get 2 more racks of baby backs.

Mustard isn’t really necessary for beef. I use it on pork ribs and pork shoulder but have never used it on beef.

I sprayed those ribs once with apple juice around the 3 hour mark, wrapped them at 4 hours and took them off two hours after that. Let them sit in a cooler, wrapped for an hour. Bones kinda just fell off. They were legit some of the best things I’ve ever grilled.

Edit: on my traeger at 275 by the way.

Edited by pearlandhorn

Was thinking about this post. Im cooking for 10 for the game today - the one time I wish I had the 700.

What did you end up getting?

10 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Was thinking about this post. Im cooking for 10 for the game today - the one time I wish I had the 700.

I’m in a holding pattern waiting on some layoffs at work to happen to make sure I still have a job. 

I’m now leaning to the 590 for the extra space and 4 year warranty but need to remeasure the space to make sure it’ll work. I’m dropping it in a hole between the backdoor and the fireplace insert. There’s plenty of space but if it sticks out too much it’ll block the door. 

I was roaming Sams and Costco yesterday drooling over the briskets and wishing I had it. I bought some country style pork ribs to hold me over for today. 

Edited by Archer
  • Hook 'Em 2

I did two racks of spare ribs yesterday.   Mustard and Earl Campbell's rub.  A little over 2 hours at 225 with an AJ/water spritz every 30-40 minutes.   Wrapped them in tin foil with BBQ sauce as the liquid in the foil and then back on for another 2+ hours.   Unwrapped them and cooked another hour at 250 and they came out great.  Even Macanudo-ette #2 who isn't big rib fan went back for seconds.   Did Rudy's Creamed Corn and some baked beans.   Ate it again for lunch today.   Might even have it all again for dinner.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 9:02 AM, BearSchlong said:

Still employed so that’s a win. Now I’m waiting for the great thaw to make sure I don’t have any serious damage from this freeze. 

One of these days I will get my grill. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, Macanudo said:

I did two racks of spare ribs yesterday.   Mustard and Earl Campbell's rub.  A little over 2 hours at 225 with an AJ/water spritz every 30-40 minutes.   Wrapped them in tin foil with BBQ sauce as the liquid in the foil and then back on for another 2+ hours.   Unwrapped them and cooked another hour at 250 and they came out great.  Even Macanudo-ette #2 who isn't big rib fan went back for seconds.   Did Rudy's Creamed Corn and some baked beans.   Ate it again for lunch today.   Might even have it all again for dinner.

no pics??

Any one have any experience with Grilla grills? I was measuring out the RecTec today and my initial location will only work with the RT-340 which they are only offering with a pellet bundle now. 

A buddy has a Grilla likes it. The Grilla Grilla (dumb) would fit nicely in my spot and if I’m reading their site correctly I could add racks to get up to 630 sq in. 

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Any one have any experience with Grilla grills? I was measuring out the RecTec today and my initial location will only work with the RT-340 which they are only offering with a pellet bundle now. 

A buddy has a Grilla likes it. The Grilla Grilla (dumb) would fit nicely in my spot and if I’m reading their site correctly I could add racks to get up to 630 sq in. 

I don't personally have any hands on experience but have only heard positive reviews of the grills. This forum has a search function at the bottom of the page for info.

https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

10 hours ago, Archer said:

I've had my eye on the Grilla for awhile. The size is right and I generally enjoy smokers that look like they are from the Jawa used droid lot (I have a WSM and a BGE). I have a disc cooker that I never use that I need to sell first to make space.