Pellet Grills and Smokers

Teamdirtyleg

49 minutes ago, Hate said:

So it got here Wednesday and I didn't have time to put it together and it was raining anyway.  I put it together today and started it up.  I already love it.  The one thing I cannot get to work though is the WiFi.  I read that they have issues connected to mesh or 5.0 ghz signals. So I turned off the 5.0 and powered down all but one of the AP's so I know my phone and the pit would connect to the same wireless but it would not connect.  Did anyone else have a similar issue? 

I started it up for about an hour today with just the pellets.  I'll probably burn a couple more times to develop a little bit of seasoning before I cook anything.  I'll be gone all day tomorrow anyway and am making chili on Sunday. 

You might try this group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1535938173216873/

• Hook 'Em 1

Made a trip from Austin to Conroe to pick up my 20X36 from Lone Star Grillz. It's made of 3/16 metal and weights 395 pounds. (My buddy got the 42") After getting it seasoned, I threw on some chuck short ribs last night running 220F overnight and finished the last 40 minutes at 300F to help firm up the bark this morning. Plenty of smoke!! The Fireboard controller is programmed to have a little bit of temperature swing versus a constant temp so that it introduces more pellets when it is below setpoint.

20211102_121550.jpg

20211102_130323.jpg

20211106_132148.jpg

20211106_115544.jpg

20211106_124039.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
I just placed my order for the Recteq 590 a couple of days ago.  I can't wait.  They had a $100 off when I ordered it.
https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-590-wood-pellet-grill
My son and his bride were married in Oct and moved to Ft. Bragg.

Ordered their housewarming/Christmas/late wedding gift, the 590.

He was looking at z grills on Amazon which I'm sure are serviceable options and cost less money but I wanted him to get something solid.

My 590 is almost 3 yrs old and just getting broken in.
  • Like 1

I’ve wanted a pellet for some time now and this thread pushed me over the finish line. Also needed to replace our gas grill so figured the Pit Boss Pro Black Triple Function gave us a little of both. The side searing station is a nice bonus, too.

Did my first cook on it today and, while the ribs came out great, was shocked at how little smoke was produced after start-up. I’ve read it’s the cleaner smoke but still was a little turned off by it. Had to check several times to make sure I didn’t fuck something up. Again, the ribs were great so that’s all that matters. Need to get a few more longer cooks!

8a7179894f26cf7cb2337013b77a397c.jpg
8386b8e840682151b80d41f663bac1c2.jpg
4f659509d46bf7f28f22a5f09aec7d17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

His concern was lack of “visible smoke”, which isn’t really anything to try and “fix”. That said, those tubes are still a great idea for some people just looking to amp up the “clean” smoke that they produce. I haven’t found the need to use one since I have sufficient smoke flavor, whether I can see it or not.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, I’ve tried everything. I’ve created a guest 2.4 ghz network and it still won’t connect. I’ve tried everything I’ve seen online as well without any success. I haven’t called RecTeq yet though.
I'm sure they will be happy to send you another controller unit. One of my probes stopped working a while back and if a replacement probe doesn't fix it then I will be calling them too.

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2020 at 10:39 PM, Guadaloopy said:

I’ve been holding off until I found something I really liked.  This thing has gravity feed charcoal/wood chunk hopper with temp control by fan.  Bluetooth/WiFi controllable from smartphone.  Lazy man’s smoker with charcoal/wood smoke flavor.  Still doing the initial burn off and seasoning.   Ready to go for the weekend.  

0F3B7ED2-C0FF-431A-9B05-AF0583AE4A1A.jpeg

@Guadaloopy, care to give us a long term review of this thing? Looking at Pellet grills now, but this thing is interesting and a few hundred bucks cheaper than the Recteq 590. 

33 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

@Guadaloopy, care to give us a long term review of this thing? Looking at Pellet grills now, but this thing is interesting and a few hundred bucks cheaper than the Recteq 590. 

Love it.  Temp control is spot on.  Comes to temp quickly.  Works 100% as advertised.  It’s super versatile and can easily be used as a grill for quick weeknight cooks.  

A couple of negatives (but nothing that makes me regret the purchase):

- The main power supply is in the cord and it absolutely cannot get wet, so this is not an all-weather rig.  You could probably take some easy measures to waterproof and cook in the rain if you needed to.  I accidentally got it wet and had to order a replacement, which was about $12 and took a week to arrive.  

- If you put out the fire with charcoal still in the hopper, you’ll need to clean out the partially burned briquettes at the bottom of the hopper before the next cook in order to get good briquettes to start the fire.  The partially burned briquettes do not start well. 

- At high temps with the fan running at high speed, you can get a bit of ash carryover from the firebox, but it only occurs when you open the lid to tend the meat.  If you turn the fan down before opening, you can prevent that carryover. 

- mixing wood chunks in with the briquettes in the hopper works great to get specific smoke flavors.  

- For long cooks at low temp, you’ll need to plan to refill the hopper and empty the ash pan every 6-8 hours. 

I don't even know what to think about this thread. A douche bag I know just dropped $3,500 on a yoder, wtf are you guys doing? I love tending a stick burner, BGEs are good for when you can't stay with the pit all day, but pellet grills? Where do you have to mail your balls when you get one?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JSB said:

I don't even know what to think about this thread. A douche bag I know just dropped $3,500 on a yoder, wtf are you guys doing? I love tending a stick burner, BGEs are good for when you can't stay with the pit all day, but pellet grills? Where do you have to mail your balls when you get one?

Can you suck your own dick too?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Can you suck your own dick too?

I have south austin's mom for that

I guess I was just shocked about how expensive they had become, and didn't know they had as big of a following as they appear to have

3 minutes ago, JSB said:

I guess I was just shocked about how expensive they had become, and didn't know they had as big of a following as they appear to have

That's not the attitude you took in your OP.   

I was an offset wood burning guy for years until I got a BGE 5-6 years ago.   Went to a pellet 2 years ago and love it.   

Do I miss spending an ungodly amount of time tending a fire?   Nope.   DO I understand why some people like doing that?   Yep.

Does my pellet still make great BBQ, steaks, burgers, planked salmon, etc.?   Yep.   To each their own.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

That's not the attitude you took in your OP.   

To each their own.

I just don't get it. Personally I don't see myself ever having even an interest in one, but yes, to each their own. I'll leave it at that

1 hour ago, JSB said:

You questioned the "manliness" of anyone that would use a pellet smoker.  If you want to spend hours upon hours making sure your temp stays perfect and possibly have the quality of your meats change each and every time, then go for it.  I'll set the temp on my Rec Teq and smoke my meats with incredible consistency every single time.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I’m thinking about getting a Rec Tec bullseye, I like that you can set it on riot mode to get it to 750 degrees for searing steaks also.  

I've had an rt-700 for a few years now (3? 4?), and picked up a bullseye just before Christmas.  I had an old gas grill with a sear plate that I used for searing steaks - and nothing else.  With the bullseye, I'm donating the gas grill to my BIL.

The bullseye is fantastic, and will get damn hot, for sure.  I have had a couple of issues with it not wanting to fire up, and I had to clean out the fire pot before it behaved.  Nothing major, but not something I've ever seen on the rt-700.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

How many of you use the pellet grill/smoker as your primary grill? I just moved into a new place, and hoping I can get by with a single device, at least in the near term. Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the Recteq 590 and would probably add the sear plates. 

After my first time regularly grilling on it I gave my charcoal grill to a buddy.  I've had no issue getting it hot enough to sear steak.

I've also found that doing brats and burgers a little lower and slower is a better means of preparation.  Instead of either having to boil the brat in beer ahead of time and then searing it, or risk over heating the casing and losing all the juice, the temp control brings it right along while getting some nice grill marks and imparting a little smoke in the process.  The end result is a snappy brat that's evenly and perfectly cooked with all the juices still inside.

I actually need less grilling infrastructure thanks to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’ve just taken to cooking my steaks inside in the cast iron skillet. Same with burgers for the most part. Everything else I cook goes in the smoker.

I've been doing reverse sear in the oven and finishing in a cast iron pan for years now. Thinking about how simple it will be to reverse sear with a little smoke on the pellet gives me a semi. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

How many of you use the pellet grill/smoker as your primary grill? I just moved into a new place, and hoping I can get by with a single device, at least in the near term. Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the Recteq 590 and would probably add the sear plates. 

I only have pellet.    It kind of sucks if there is rain because I don't have a large enough covered area for it to be used.   But it just means I plan my outdoor cooks for nice days.

7 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I only have pellet.    It kind of sucks if there is rain because I don't have a large enough covered area for it to be used.   But it just means I plan my outdoor cooks for nice days.

Do you have a garage?  I have a small one stall garage, but I just open the overhead door and that's plenty of space.

I have a 590 and a Weber Summit gas grill.  Frankly, I use the Weber for steaks (and any other meat when time is the determining factor).  That said, I have reverse seared filets very successfully on the RecTeq and will do it again.  I think it’s versatile enough if you’re looking for a single device.

image.thumb.jpeg.f795e553f3fc46aef1ee2ac32de77592.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dd247a32230551d27d5a973478b7ea58.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e1466b2b431d3fb003d7dfd88c39bed.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Only use the pellet here.  As mentioned above, I did use a gas grill to sear steaks (reverse sear - smoke on the recteq...mmmmmmm), but now have added a bullseye to take searing over as well.

Anyone reverse sear with smoke, use an oven to hold temp, fire the pellet grill as high as it goes, and finishing with that high heat/flame off the pellet?

I suppose at that point you're just as well off finishing on cast iron, it just seems like it could work well.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Anyone reverse sear with smoke, use an oven to hold temp, fire the pellet grill as high as it goes, and finishing with that high heat/flame off the pellet?

I suppose at that point you're just as well off finishing on cast iron, it just seems like it could work well.

How long does it take the 590 to get from 225ish to 500, or whatever the max is? I usually rest my steaks under a foil tent for 10 minutes before I sear them off anyway. (One thing I will miss about not having a gas grill is the side burner. I use it a lot for searing steaks, making peppers and onions for fajitas, cooking bacon, etc. Anything that will normally smoke up the house gets done on the side burner outside.)

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My only thought is the meat wouldn’t be exposed to the smoke long enuf to affect the flavor.

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

How is the smoke flavor on a steak? I don’t think I’ve ever had that before.

Not like a meat that smokes for hours because it’s going only to ~115-120F rather than ~200+F.  The flavor on a steak, I think, is driven mainly by seasoning and browning (Maillard effect).  I was trying to determine if my 590 could produce a nicely done steak .. and it did.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

How long does it take the 590 to get from 225ish to 500, or whatever the max is? I usually rest my steaks under a foil tent for 10 minutes before I sear them off anyway. (One thing I will miss about not having a gas grill is the side burner. I use it a lot for searing steaks, making peppers and onions for fajitas, cooking bacon, etc. Anything that will normally smoke up the house gets done on the side burner outside.)

10 minutes or so, depending on ambient temperature.

Regardless, meat low and slow cooked at 225F to 10-15 degrees less than the desired finish internal temp will not lose much juice sitting while the 590 gets to 500F.

No idea whether the optional grill grates enhance browning.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was viewing it less as a flavoring component and more from maximum utilization of one device standpoint.

My Weber has a smoke chamber for woodchips .. but, it doesn’t replicate the flavor produced by my old Okie Joe stick smoker or the RecTeq.  The RecTeq does a decent job grilling but not like the Weber which I can crank to 600+F.

Each has its sweet spot.

image.thumb.jpeg.dc3f11cbf1d045a7dc6189f8243aa3b0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0b3f76c88427cca32ea3a49dd467a4f9.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.40bb42962420824f0534acc9014a4ade.jpeg

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

I keep debating a pellet grill.  I can totally see the advantages.  It's basically a crock pot, for BBQ.  Set it and forget it.. as George Foreman might say.

I will probably break down and buy one in a couple years.  I basically do my briskets now with a couple hours on the smoker then wrap and toss into the oven.  Simply as overnight coal tending isn't as exciting as it used to be.  The ability to cook remotely does have some appeal to me, and the consistency in holding temp is really sort of what green egg is selling.

I would say if you already know how to cook with charcoal in a stick burner, and want the convenience, go for a pellet.  But I would advise you to still learn the art of making, tending and controlling a fire.  Then you can cook on any campground grill/ smoker anywhere and produce a good product. 

I thought about an electric smoker for the coast, but maybe a smaller pellet grill might be a better spending of my money. Any suggestions on something smaller that I could secure at the coast while I am out fishing?

Edited by horn4life

20 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I keep debating a pellet grill.  I can totally see the advantages.  It's basically a crock pot, for BBQ.  Set it and forget it.. as George Foreman might say.

I will probably break down and buy one in a couple years.  I basically do my briskets now with a couple hours on the smoker then wrap and toss into the oven.  Simply as overnight coal tending isn't as exciting as it used to be.  The ability to cook remotely does have some appeal to me, and the consistency in holding temp is really sort of what green egg is selling.

I would say if you already know how to cook with a stick burner, and want the convenience, go for a pellet.  But I would advise you to still learn the art of making, tending and controlling a fire.  Then you can cook on any campground grill/ smoker anywhere and produce a good product. 

I thought about an electric smoker for the coast, but maybe a smaller pellet grill might be a better spending of my money.

image.thumb.jpeg.f13a8f8a5dba42901c4ad891dc009ffd.jpeg
On the smoker at 0600 at 250F

image.thumb.jpeg.b5004fbecfa0fb9894782ab2be3bf4c0.jpeg

Internal 205F reached at 1535.  Note the actual smoke chamber is 252F after 9.5 hours.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd3cd498ed997108e2ea4caba573575b.jpeg
Wrapped and rested for 2 hours in a cooler.

Set and forget.

image.jpeg

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I'll get ours going in the morning and then leave the house for several hours and go mountain biking or something like that, check it when I come home, and go run some kind of errand for another few hours (that usually includes stopping by a buddy's and drinking beer) before coming back to finish.  I would struggle with being bound to my home by tending sticks, even though there's an undeniable romance to it.

The only way I could really sink my teeth into that is a college football saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So those of you with a Rec Teq, were you ever able to solve the Wi-Fi issue?  I tried every single thing on the forums to see if I could get it to connect but it hasn't worked.  I even tried to connect it to my phone with no luck.  I haven't called Rec Teq yet, but that will be the next step if there are no other solutions. 

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

So those of you with a Rec Teq, were you ever able to solve the Wi-Fi issue?  I tried every single thing on the forums to see if I could get it to connect but it hasn't worked.  I even tried to connect it to my phone with no luck.  I haven't called Rec Teq yet, but that will be the next step if there are no other solutions. 

Initially, I had problems connecting.  Kept at it and captured the link … not sure how or why, probably dumb luck.  Fast forward a few months, my router went Tango Uniform.  So, bought a new router and reestablished connection with all devices … but one.  Yeah, that one.

I’ll try again.  However, frankly don’t need it or miss it because occasionally walking outside to check temps isn’t that huge of a task.

• Like 1