American missionary shot full of arrows on remote island

bolverk

these fuckers are piloted by something that erases all the quit in them and causes them to shoot wooden sticks at dragons (aka helicopters).

your weed ain’t shit compared to whatever they got going.

Yeah I was struck by the distressed fisherman’s account of noticing several individuals on the beach carrying spears and building boats. This tribe gives no fucks and takes the fight to the invaders. That they were just going to build some boats right there on the spot and then rush on out to probably kill the fisherman shows some determination.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Yeah I was struck by the distressed fisherman’s account of noticing several individuals on the beach carrying spears and building boats. This tribe gives no fucks and takes the fight to the invaders. That they were just going to build some boats right there on the spot and then rush on out to probably kill the fisherman shows some determination.

They buildin boats Mothafucka don't you ever forget

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yeah, we should just assume these guys would prefer to live in a suburban McMansion with 2.3 kids and an 8-5 cubicle job with all the mortgage and auto and student loan debt that goes with it.   with a smart phone so I can check my scores.  That's what everyone on the planet should want, right?

1 hour ago, Texas_Rocks said:

I agree, but don't really think that using the word "rush" really fits when you have to first build the boat by hand.

Why is everybody so concerned about retrieving his body? They need to treat it like bodies on Everest.  Too dangerous to recover.
Maybe someone wanted a new pincushion for the sewing room.
I agree, but don't really think that using the word "rush" really fits when you have to first build the boat by hand.

The fishermen should have just start shaking their dicks at the natives.

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m just curious what India’s long term plan is for the north sentinel islanders.  On the main islands, the previously uncontacted people interact at some level now with modern people.  They have the ability to decide to increase their contact and knowledge.  The north sentinel islanders don’t even have that option.   

please expound. 

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Maybe someone wanted a new pincushion for the sewing room.

The fishermen should have just start shaking their dicks at the natives.

That gesture in sentinelese translates to "see if you can shoot me in the dick with an arrow."

This reminds me of a funny joke.

Three missionaries are captured by natives. The chief gives them a choice. Death or ooga-booga. 

The first missionary thinks to himself that he is a young man and has his whole life in front of him to serve the lord. He chooses ooga-booga. "Ooga-booga!" And five natives buttfuck him. 

The second missionary is shocked but reasons he is middle aged and still has many years to serve the lord. He chooses ogga-booga. "Ooga-booga!" And twenty natives buttfuck him.

The third missionary said, "I am old and have spent my life performing the lord's work. I choose death."

"Death by ooga-booga!"

#noracist   

• Haha 1

They don't need shit from us.  Period.  Nothing.  Zilch.  Nada.  Zip.

Let 'em the fuck alone.  It's just as arrogant to think our "civilized" medicines and tech and all that shit are as "beneficial" to them as the dude bringing Baby Jeesus.
Yea but what if i need the YouTube hits? He doesn't need to fucking kill me because i'm trying to get him to take a selfie on my 4k gopro right before i cliff dive
  • Like 1

The sad thing is, this guy wasn't a total loser.  He was a wilderness expert and  took underprivileged kids out regularly for camping trips, as well as organized and coached soccer programs for needy kids in and around the Northwest.  By all other accounts he was the type of guy who got involved with his community and made a difference.

He also studied and wrote extensively about this tribe and knew that he was pretty likely to die doing what he did.  He didn't just wander in off the mainland as an ignorant fuck.  He made other previous attempts and got rebuffed by locals who wouldn't take him near the land (as it was illegal).  

The problem here is he completely, utterly fucked up the notion of evangelism and approached it with an IQ of about 80.  Too bad, he seemed like a good guy who got caught up in total bullshit of what "evangelism" means and he got kilt for it.

Oh well, at least he made one last bold contribution - tasting like chicken at the communal meal.

• Like 2

Well if that's true, he would have also known that by going there he could kill women and children by infecting them with disease.  Instead the thought he would introduce them to his imaginary friend who would both protect them and him.   I wish they had just chased him off, but it seems he was intent on bringing the cult/pathogens to them.

Sorry....  he was as asshole 

• Like 7

Well if that's true, he would have also known that by going there he could kill women and children by infecting them with disease.  Instead the thought he would introduce them to his imaginary friend who would both protect them and him.   I wish they had just chased him off, but it seems he was intent on bringing the cult/pathogens to them.

Yep.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

The problem here is he completely, utterly fucked up the notion of evangelism and approached it with an IQ of about 80.  Too bad, he seemed like a good guy who got caught up in total bullshit of what "evangelism" means and he got kilt for it.

what does evangelism mean to you? 

Just now, Asithappens said:

Then by all means please educate me.

Nah, you do your own homework. Putting aside his breaking the law, what he was going to try to do would be considered evangelism / witnessing/ spreading the word of the Bible. Not saying I agree with what he did, only that what he was trying to do is considered evangelism.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Fuck spreading the Jesus fable and worry more about spreading disease that could wipe out the island.

Yes, and trying to spread the story despite it being illegal, the natives not being receptive to the extent that they will kill you.

That's not evangelism. That's extreme cult-like behavior.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nah, you do your own homework. Putting aside his breaking the law, what he was going to try to do would be considered evangelism / witnessing/ spreading the word of the Bible. Not saying I agree with what he did, only that what he was trying to do is considered evangelism.

No. This wasn't evangelism.

Just now, Asithappens said:

Yes, and trying to spread the story despite it being illegal, the natives not being receptive to the extent that they will kill you.

That's not evangelism. That's extreme cult-like behavior.

As I stated you don't know what evangelism means.  Love the whole cult like comment, even more to the point that you don't know what evangelism means.

From the Scientific American:

The American Killed by Asian Islanders Hoped to Save Their Souls
But the self-styled missionary failed to comprehend that isolation ensures the Sentinel Islander’s survival

By Madhusree Mukerjee on November 26, 2018

On November 17, 2018, when 26-year-old missionary John Allen Chau landed on North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal in the hope of rescuing the natives from “the clutches of Satan,” they predictably slew him. The last tribe living in voluntary isolation in Asia, the Sentinelese kill almost everyone who lands on their shores. The strategy ensures distance from outsiders, protecting them from the diseases and social decay that have felled other tribes of the Andaman archipelago. Now, the attempts to retrieve Chau’s body—in violation of his express wishes—threatens to unleash a cascade of events that would endanger the survival of this island’s exceedingly vulnerable people.

It is hard to overstress how miraculous the continued existence of the Sentinel islanders is. Genetic studies of the contacted Andaman tribes indicate that they directly descend from modern humans who left Africa roughly 60,000 years ago. Traveling eastward along the coastlines of India, these wanderers eventually reached the Andaman Islands—some to stay, others to move further south toward Australia and Papua New Guinea. Intriguingly, the Andamanese may have derived 2 to 3 percent of their genes from an as-yet-unidentified hominin, but otherwise seem to have remained genetically isolated. Their languages constitute a separate language family—Andamanese—although linguist Anvita Abbi holds that it should be subdivided into two other families, Great Andamanese and Ang.

Spoiler

The Andaman islanders were feared by ancient mariners, because they slew anyone who was shipwrecked on their shores. In 1858, repelling bows and arrows with gunfire, British officials established a penal colony on South Andaman Island, now the town of Port Blair. To pacify the hostile natives, the colonizers captured and held some in so-called Andaman Homes. There they were plied with alcohol and other enticements to create “artificial wants,” in the words of one official, to satisfy which they would have to engage in peaceful “intercourse with a superior race.” Also at these homes, guards raped Andamanese women, injecting syphilis into a population that, because of tens of millennia of isolation, had no immunity to the germs that outsiders carry. Epidemics ravaged the Great Andamanese—comprising ten tribes of the South, North and Middle Andaman Islands—slashing their numbers from anywhere between 5,000 and 8,000 people to a mere 19 in the 1960s.  By that time, the archipelago had passed to India, which settled the survivors on tiny Strait Island. (See “The Andaman Islanders,” by Sita Venkateswar.)

The Great Andamanese now number about 50 mixed-race individuals. The elders speak a mixture of the 10 original languages, and almost none of the youngsters even that. Most of the men drink. In 2014, I met with Nau, a Great Andamanese woman I had first encountered in the 1990s. She spoke of the desperate loneliness of speaking a language, singing songs and living with memories that she could share with virtually no one. The happiest time in her life, she said, was when as a child she roamed the jungle with her family. “I loved it. We lived free,” she recalled, describing the abundance of the forest and the sheer joy of living in it.

Hunter-gatherers routinely suffer from depression when, their lands usurped by outsiders, they are confined to permanent homes. The Onge of Little Andaman, who were similarly reduced from perhaps 1,000 individuals to roughly 100 at present, are beset with alcoholism and depression. In 2008, eight Onge men and boys died from drinking a liquid that they believed was alcohol; in fact, it was methylated spirit.

Last to succumb were the Jarawa, who live in dense forests on the western edge of South and Middle Andaman Islands and, until 1998, were defending their territory with their lives. They killed settlers who ventured into their territory to fish or hunt game, and got killed in return. That year however, they succumbed to decades of pacification efforts originally developed by Maurice V. Portman, a colonial administrator. Boatloads of Indian officials and anthropologists would land on Jarawa beaches, leave gifts of bananas, red cloth and other goodies from civilization, and retreat. The Jarawa were eventually seduced into laying down their arms and interacting with settlers in peace. Almost instantly, they were beset by epidemics of pneumonia, mumps, measles and other diseases; even the common cold seemed to be lethal to them. No one knows how many died.

The epidemics were eventually controlled, and the Jarawa now number about 450. They call themselves the Ang—meaning “human”—and are linguistically, culturally and genetically closer to the Onge and, probably, to the Sentinelese than to the Great Andamanese. Satellite images show that the Jarawa reserve contains the only undisturbed evergreen rainforest on the Great Andamans—everywhere else, there are settlements, rice fields or degraded forests—and the abundance of its wildlife continues to attract poachers. Some of them ply young Jarawa men with alcohol to induce them to catch and hand over mud crabs, prized in international markets. Creeping alcoholism and sexual exploitation by outsiders are serious concerns, as is the specter of infection with HIV or other dangerous diseases. 

The Sentinel Islands have thus far escaped a similar fate. Contact attempts were abandoned in the 1990s, when officials and anthropologists were chastened by the lethal chain of events that the pacification of the Jarawa had precipitated. The island, a mere 60 square kilometers in area, can probably support no more than 100 people. That the Sentinelese and other Andaman islanders thrived for tens of millennia on such small pieces of land speaks not only to the soundness of the voluntary isolation strategy but also to an exquisitely fine-tuned adaptation to the local ecology. The botanical knowledge of the Andamanese is phenomenal. For instance, an Onge man harvests honey by crushing a certain leaf, smearing the paste on his body, and chewing it; when he blows on a hive, the bees fly away, leaving the honey to be collected at leisure. From time to time, Indian scientists announce “discoveries” based on mining their knowledge: a potential cure for malaria, a new species of banana. And not one of the Andamanese is known to have died in the massive tsunami of 2004; having felt the undulations of the earthquake, they knew to flee inland and uphill before the waves arrived.

Moreover, the Onge and Jarawa obeyed taboos, such as against hunting wild boars in the breeding season, that maintained the astonishing abundance of their environs. The Andamanese also seem to have kept population growth down to zero, likely by using natural contraceptives or perhaps even by biological adaptations such as late menstruation and early menopause, observed in the Onge.

For decades, members of civil society, including myself, have striven to ensure that the integrity of the remaining Jarawa and Onge territories and the no-contact policy for the Sentinelese are maintained and enforced. To our consternation, however, in late June, India’s Home Ministry ordered the lifting of restrictions on foreigners visiting all the islands inhabited by Andaman tribes, including North Sentinel, with the objective of “promoting tourism and overall development” of the islands. Also in the offing for the Andamans and their sister chain, the Nicobar Islands further south, are a railway line through the Jarawa reserve, many new ports, a container terminal and massive naval installations. In the eyes of defense planners in India—a key U.S. ally—the islands are “unsinkable aircraft carriers” to be mobilized in any future confrontation with China. The original inhabitants of the Andaman archipelago seem to find room in these grand visions only as exhibits in an open-air zoo.

Meanwhile, the police are engaging in tense standoffs with the Sentinelese in trying to retrieve Chau’s body from the shore, where they buried it. These efforts can only lead to further fatalities or, even more dangerous in the long run, a renewal of “friendly contact” overtures.

I too approached the island in a boat in 1998, spotting from a distance a canoe in which two figures stood, fishing; others on the beach observed the encounter. Seeing us, the fishers moved back toward their shore, whereupon we left. I regret that visit; even if for some minutes, I violated their privacy and tranquility. Unlike Chau, however, it did not occur to me that I had any wisdom to impart to them. What can I, a representative of a civilization that, within the span of a few hundred years, has destabilized the biosphere of an entire planet, have to offer to a people who have thrived since the dawn of humankind on these tiny islands? Is it we who have something to teach the Sentinelese, or they us?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

From the Scientific American:

The American Killed by Asian Islanders Hoped to Save Their Souls
But the self-styled missionary failed to comprehend that isolation ensures the Sentinel Islander’s survival

By Madhusree Mukerjee on November 26, 2018

On November 17, 2018, when 26-year-old missionary John Allen Chau landed on North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal in the hope of rescuing the natives from “the clutches of Satan,” they predictably slew him. The last tribe living in voluntary isolation in Asia, the Sentinelese kill almost everyone who lands on their shores. The strategy ensures distance from outsiders, protecting them from the diseases and social decay that have felled other tribes of the Andaman archipelago. Now, the attempts to retrieve Chau’s body—in violation of his express wishes—threatens to unleash a cascade of events that would endanger the survival of this island’s exceedingly vulnerable people.

It is hard to overstress how miraculous the continued existence of the Sentinel islanders is. Genetic studies of the contacted Andaman tribes indicate that they directly descend from modern humans who left Africa roughly 60,000 years ago. Traveling eastward along the coastlines of India, these wanderers eventually reached the Andaman Islands—some to stay, others to move further south toward Australia and Papua New Guinea. Intriguingly, the Andamanese may have derived 2 to 3 percent of their genes from an as-yet-unidentified hominin, but otherwise seem to have remained genetically isolated. Their languages constitute a separate language family—Andamanese—although linguist Anvita Abbi holds that it should be subdivided into two other families, Great Andamanese and Ang.

Reveal hidden contents

The Andaman islanders were feared by ancient mariners, because they slew anyone who was shipwrecked on their shores. In 1858, repelling bows and arrows with gunfire, British officials established a penal colony on South Andaman Island, now the town of Port Blair. To pacify the hostile natives, the colonizers captured and held some in so-called Andaman Homes. There they were plied with alcohol and other enticements to create “artificial wants,” in the words of one official, to satisfy which they would have to engage in peaceful “intercourse with a superior race.” Also at these homes, guards raped Andamanese women, injecting syphilis into a population that, because of tens of millennia of isolation, had no immunity to the germs that outsiders carry. Epidemics ravaged the Great Andamanese—comprising ten tribes of the South, North and Middle Andaman Islands—slashing their numbers from anywhere between 5,000 and 8,000 people to a mere 19 in the 1960s.  By that time, the archipelago had passed to India, which settled the survivors on tiny Strait Island. (See “The Andaman Islanders,” by Sita Venkateswar.)

The Great Andamanese now number about 50 mixed-race individuals. The elders speak a mixture of the 10 original languages, and almost none of the youngsters even that. Most of the men drink. In 2014, I met with Nau, a Great Andamanese woman I had first encountered in the 1990s. She spoke of the desperate loneliness of speaking a language, singing songs and living with memories that she could share with virtually no one. The happiest time in her life, she said, was when as a child she roamed the jungle with her family. “I loved it. We lived free,” she recalled, describing the abundance of the forest and the sheer joy of living in it.

Hunter-gatherers routinely suffer from depression when, their lands usurped by outsiders, they are confined to permanent homes. The Onge of Little Andaman, who were similarly reduced from perhaps 1,000 individuals to roughly 100 at present, are beset with alcoholism and depression. In 2008, eight Onge men and boys died from drinking a liquid that they believed was alcohol; in fact, it was methylated spirit.

Last to succumb were the Jarawa, who live in dense forests on the western edge of South and Middle Andaman Islands and, until 1998, were defending their territory with their lives. They killed settlers who ventured into their territory to fish or hunt game, and got killed in return. That year however, they succumbed to decades of pacification efforts originally developed by Maurice V. Portman, a colonial administrator. Boatloads of Indian officials and anthropologists would land on Jarawa beaches, leave gifts of bananas, red cloth and other goodies from civilization, and retreat. The Jarawa were eventually seduced into laying down their arms and interacting with settlers in peace. Almost instantly, they were beset by epidemics of pneumonia, mumps, measles and other diseases; even the common cold seemed to be lethal to them. No one knows how many died.

The epidemics were eventually controlled, and the Jarawa now number about 450. They call themselves the Ang—meaning “human”—and are linguistically, culturally and genetically closer to the Onge and, probably, to the Sentinelese than to the Great Andamanese. Satellite images show that the Jarawa reserve contains the only undisturbed evergreen rainforest on the Great Andamans—everywhere else, there are settlements, rice fields or degraded forests—and the abundance of its wildlife continues to attract poachers. Some of them ply young Jarawa men with alcohol to induce them to catch and hand over mud crabs, prized in international markets. Creeping alcoholism and sexual exploitation by outsiders are serious concerns, as is the specter of infection with HIV or other dangerous diseases. 

The Sentinel Islands have thus far escaped a similar fate. Contact attempts were abandoned in the 1990s, when officials and anthropologists were chastened by the lethal chain of events that the pacification of the Jarawa had precipitated. The island, a mere 60 square kilometers in area, can probably support no more than 100 people. That the Sentinelese and other Andaman islanders thrived for tens of millennia on such small pieces of land speaks not only to the soundness of the voluntary isolation strategy but also to an exquisitely fine-tuned adaptation to the local ecology. The botanical knowledge of the Andamanese is phenomenal. For instance, an Onge man harvests honey by crushing a certain leaf, smearing the paste on his body, and chewing it; when he blows on a hive, the bees fly away, leaving the honey to be collected at leisure. From time to time, Indian scientists announce “discoveries” based on mining their knowledge: a potential cure for malaria, a new species of banana. And not one of the Andamanese is known to have died in the massive tsunami of 2004; having felt the undulations of the earthquake, they knew to flee inland and uphill before the waves arrived.

Moreover, the Onge and Jarawa obeyed taboos, such as against hunting wild boars in the breeding season, that maintained the astonishing abundance of their environs. The Andamanese also seem to have kept population growth down to zero, likely by using natural contraceptives or perhaps even by biological adaptations such as late menstruation and early menopause, observed in the Onge.

For decades, members of civil society, including myself, have striven to ensure that the integrity of the remaining Jarawa and Onge territories and the no-contact policy for the Sentinelese are maintained and enforced. To our consternation, however, in late June, India’s Home Ministry ordered the lifting of restrictions on foreigners visiting all the islands inhabited by Andaman tribes, including North Sentinel, with the objective of “promoting tourism and overall development” of the islands. Also in the offing for the Andamans and their sister chain, the Nicobar Islands further south, are a railway line through the Jarawa reserve, many new ports, a container terminal and massive naval installations. In the eyes of defense planners in India—a key U.S. ally—the islands are “unsinkable aircraft carriers” to be mobilized in any future confrontation with China. The original inhabitants of the Andaman archipelago seem to find room in these grand visions only as exhibits in an open-air zoo.

Meanwhile, the police are engaging in tense standoffs with the Sentinelese in trying to retrieve Chau’s body from the shore, where they buried it. These efforts can only lead to further fatalities or, even more dangerous in the long run, a renewal of “friendly contact” overtures.

I too approached the island in a boat in 1998, spotting from a distance a canoe in which two figures stood, fishing; others on the beach observed the encounter. Seeing us, the fishers moved back toward their shore, whereupon we left. I regret that visit; even if for some minutes, I violated their privacy and tranquility. Unlike Chau, however, it did not occur to me that I had any wisdom to impart to them. What can I, a representative of a civilization that, within the span of a few hundred years, has destabilized the biosphere of an entire planet, have to offer to a people who have thrived since the dawn of humankind on these tiny islands? Is it we who have something to teach the Sentinelese, or they us?

The Brits' response...???  Don't care, had sex

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

As I stated you don't know what evangelism means.  Love the whole cult like comment, even more to the point that you don't know what evangelism means.

I've told you both what I think evangelism is (spreading the good news" and what it is not (this particular example where the risks are so apparent that it is foolish to engage the audience).

All you have done is state "you don't know what evangelism means." To which I have said, then please educate me.

No such education is forthcoming, is it?

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I've told you both what I think evangelism is (spreading the good news" and what it is not (this particular example where the risks are so apparent that it is foolish to engage the audience).

All you have done is state "you don't know what evangelism means." To which I have said, then please educate me.

Late back to the party, but this is a good start, coupled with the fact that people idiotically think that Paul's Apostolic journeys, which were unique and purposed for that exact time and situation, are some sort of "model" for evangelization.  They're not.  Never were supposed to be.  Most of the Apostles didn't leave Jerusalem for years, in a few cases a decade or two, after Christ's death.  They were also gifted with speech in languages where they were eventually going to go, and they went and settled there, most of them either in Rome, a few in other places.  But apparently most of them moved there to live, not to "plant".  They remained in those locations until their martyrdom or natural death and were seen as people in the community as much as anyone else.

This guy had a totally fucked up notion that he was to go out and "spread the Word" drawn from no doubt twisted sources (and I have a whole shitload on what the Finneys and Moodys did in the late 19th Century to twist all that) when that was never his job, qualification, nor duty.  It was a stupid decision he made, where if he had actually talked to someone who knows the history of how the church actually spread, would have said don't do it, it's illegal and idiotic.

And now all he's spreading is possible contamination (although experts are saying that there is "little probability" of the islanders being affected by his corpse to start an epidemic.  But that remains to be seen I guess).

Anyway, he had no business going there and was guided by an absolutely idiotic, dangerous tenet of "theology" that was 1) nowhere near anywhere in New Testament resources, and 2) has been gruesomely twisted into something it was never supposed to be.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I THINK, and now this is just me from my reading of this whole back and forth, your caveat is probably, I say probably based again on my best guess here, the difference in interpretations.

How'd I do? Now remember since it wasn't explicitly spelled out that it could be something else. Some people need explicit. Some, like myself can just kinda sense these things and that's what I'ma doing here. Just goin' wit my feels.

7 hours ago, Loco said:

I will ask the question again.  If this group of people do not have immunity to our common diseases, is the long term plan to quarantine them and their future generations forever?   I'm not saying we should spray them with diseases to see the results but I think the current plan is fairly cruel and inhumane.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I will ask the question again.  If this group of people do not have immunity to our common diseases, is the long term plan to quarantine them and their future generations forever?   I'm not saying we should spray them with diseases to see the results but I think the current plan is fairly cruel and inhumane.

They are being allowed to live the way they want to, so how is that cruel?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They want to be left alone, what's cruel and inhumane about honoring their wishes??

If one of them wanted to defect, they had a kayak...  there is only a 2-3 mile limit around the island, they have surely seen boats, ships and planes cruising around them.

If they want to play the genetic immunity lottery, they can.   Why have some asshole make that decision for them?

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That mentality is quite similar to the extreme-evangelism mindset, imo.

Who are they to know what's best for them? They need us (religion, socio-whatever) to tell them what to do.

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

That mentality is quite similar to the extreme-evangelism mindset, imo.

Who are they to know what's best for them? They need us (religion, socio-whatever) to tell them what to do.

You know that everyone on that island wants to be on that island?  Very arrogant opinion.   But don't let that stop you.

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

ummm, maybe because they are fascinating?

They're absolutely fascinating. I've stated on more than one occasion on here or TOS that sometimes I wish I had become an anthropologist. The thing is, I agree with the prime directive and wouldn't want us to totally fuck them over like their Adaman cousins. 

On 11/26/2018 at 11:42 AM, Lat22 said:

Why is everybody so concerned about retrieving his body? They need to treat it like bodies on Everest.  Too dangerous to recover.

Why is everyone so concerned with these backwards fuckwads in the middle of nowhere that still live in the Stone Age?

There are plenty of people just like them in West Virginia. 

Edited by housious