TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

12 minutes ago, midtown said:

It's part of the the W+ free membership

I just noticed the email about this yesterday. Pretty nice add. Between the Uber credits, streaming credits, random discounts to various resellers, and 5x pts on travel which I redeemed for Qatar QSuite - the card can pay for itself. 

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

Which AX is this on?  Are you saying you can use the AX at Walmart AND Exxon?

My GF and I don't drive that much anymore since we moved to Corpus (we live on the island and work in the Bluff).  I may do 8K miles a year and she's about 10K.  But, we both drive Jeeps so the mpg blows ass.  But, doing some quick math that looks to also be about $120/yr for me.

Amex gets you Walmart+, Walmart+ gets you "members prices" at Murphy, Sam's, Exxon and Mobil. You can use any cc linked to walmart to pay but you have to go to the walmart app when you're at the pump.

I've switched over to using three Citi cards rather than my old Chase trio as a way to diversify my point holdings. I'm using Citi Custom Cash for purchases at the pharmacy, Citi ThankYou Premiere for restaurant/grocery store/travel purchases, and Citi Double Cash for everything else. I only use points for flights but if I can get a good deal at a fancy hotel I'll take it 

Have you tried redeeming through the Amex travel portal?  There is access to tons of non-branded hotels.  Same with the Chase travel portal.

Yeah I do that pretty frequently with Chase. I’ve done it in the past with Amex and their portal was good, but I don’t accrue many Amex points lately since my main card is now CSR.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

every year i try to spend the $100 annual amex Saks GC i think to myself.. maybe capitalism was a bad idea

I've been using it for a gift for my wife 2x per year, typically a high-end candle right around the $50 mark. They also sell a lot of chocolates right around that 50 mark.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

high-end candle right around the $50 mark.

Do they smell like Gwenth Paltrows vagina?

Btw talk about perfect timing.  I should be getting my car delivered this week and the dealer will let me put $5k on my credit card.  Pretty easy to earn my United Infinite bonus right off the bat. 

• 5 weeks later...

We are flying out of Austin to Wisconsin at 10:30 Friday morning.  If we get to the airport by 7:00 should we be ok to get through security on time?  A friend who flies all the time for work says the tsa lines are pretty unpredictable right now. My wife and I have tsa precheck and clear, but my parents are going with us and they have neither.  My wife bought the tickets so they may or may not get pre-check when we check in.  I don’t want to count on it.  They both have enough bionic parts that the X-ray machine is always an adventure.

On 5/31/2022 at 6:39 PM, kevwun said:

We are flying out of Austin to Wisconsin at 10:30 Friday morning.  If we get to the airport by 7:00 should we be ok to get through security on time?  A friend who flies all the time for work says the tsa lines are pretty unpredictable right now. My wife and I have tsa precheck and clear, but my parents are going with us and they have neither.  My wife bought the tickets so they may or may not get pre-check when we check in.  I don’t want to count on it.  They both have enough bionic parts that the X-ray machine is always an adventure.

If you get to the airport at 7 for a 10:30 flight you’re gonna be bored out of your fucking skull for 2 hours at least…

If you get to the airport at 7 for a 10:30 flight you’re gonna be bored out of your fucking skull for 2 hours at least…

While true, there’s no way wife and two elderly parents are going to be ready to go, on time, that early. So overshooting is good.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:02 AM, Ag with kids said:

Oh...and an AMEX Business Platinum deal.  If you know about AMEX, their deal is that you can only get a bonus once in your lifetime for any card.

However, apparently, several offers have come out recently without that language. I saw I had one in my account:  150K pts for $15K spend/3 mo plus 10K pts if a AU spends $1K in the first 3 mo.  So, 160K pts for $16K spend.

And, since the AMEX MR pts are supposedly worth $0.02/each, that's $3200 worth of points for the $695 annual fee (also has the $200 travel credit to offset that cost).

Now...I currently have the AMEX Bus Plat.  But, after reading some stuff, it appears you CAN get the bonus.

So, I applied and was approved immediately.  I now have TWO AMEX Bus Plat cards.  I'll cancel one after the first year but still have all those points.

Luckily, I've got some business expenses coming up that needed to be taken care of, so I should easily hit that $16K spend...

I hate quoting my own post...but I did it for context.  I just confirmed that you can get 2 AMEX Plat Business cards AND get the 150K MR points for the second one.  The 150K points just hit my account yesterday.

And today...I got another offer to get an AMEX Bus Plat card with no lifetime language for ANOTHER 150K MR...I've got a few more big expenses coming up in the next few months so WTF, let's see if I hit the bullseye again.  I'm going to wait until mid July though to maximize those expenses and I have until 7/31 to pull the trigger.

I quoted the $0.02/MR points and from my experience, it's easily that...especially since a lot of redemptions get 35% points back.

16 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

I hate quoting my own post...but I did it for context.  I just confirmed that you can get 2 AMEX Plat Business cards AND get the 150K MR points for the second one.  The 150K points just hit my account yesterday.

And today...I got another offer to get an AMEX Bus Plat card with no lifetime language for ANOTHER 150K MR...I've got a few more big expenses coming up in the next few months so WTF, let's see if I hit the bullseye again.  I'm going to wait until mid July though to maximize those expenses and I have until 7/31 to pull the trigger.

I quoted the $0.02/MR points and from my experience, it's easily that...especially since a lot of redemptions get 35% points back.

Interesting; were these email or snail mail offers?

16 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Are the Bus Plat offers made to the same business, or to different entities?

On 6/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Ignatius said:

Interesting; were these email or snail mail offers?

The first offer I got to get a second AMEX Plat Business was both.  I got several mail offers and then a few email offers.  After research, it looked like it was legit so I applied, got the second card and just got the MR points.

The latest offer was via email only.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:20 PM, Chewbacca said:

Are the Bus Plat offers made to the same business, or to different entities?

They were all on my one LLC.  So, my LLC currently has 2 AMEX Plat Business cards and they want me to add another one....not an employee card, but a brand new card.

And the Offer Terms don't have the lifetime language like most offers do.  Just like the last time I got the Business card.

Just advising y'all to check out any offerings from AMEX...

Because the 150K points are worth WAY more than the $695 annual fee.  Especially when you can double up on a lot of the benefits they offer.

• Like 1

They were all on my one LLC.  So, my LLC currently has 2 AMEX Plat Business cards and they want me to add another one....not an employee card, but a brand new card.
And the Offer Terms don't have the lifetime language like most offers do.  Just like the last time I got the Business card.

Just advising y'all to check out any offerings from AMEX...
Because the 150K points are worth WAY more than the $695 annual fee.  Especially when you can double up on a lot of the benefits they offer.
I'll keep an eye out for those. I just got a Bus Plat for my business a few months ago.

If you have money at Morgan Stanley or Charles Schwab (others may do it as well), as long as you keep $x amount of dollars in a checking account and contribute $y a month in auto deposit, they’ll cover your AMEX Plat fee for you and an additional card holder.

The money you deposit monthly you can then transfer out to another account if you need to.

If you have money at Morgan Stanley or Charles Schwab (others may do it as well), as long as you keep $x amount of dollars in a checking account and contribute $y a month in auto deposit, they’ll cover your AMEX Plat fee for you and an additional card holder.

The money you deposit monthly you can then transfer out to another account if you need to.
How does one find the details of this deal? Personal Amex, I assume?

Yup, it’s a personal card. Ask your financial advisor if they have it and they’ll be able to provide details.

I’m at Morgan Stanley, my parents at Charles Schwab. That’s how I know for sure those two offer it.

Anyone figured out the mess that is IAH recently? Have a Thursday evening flight and have heard some horror stories of getting in and out because of traffic/construction.

Should I just do the normal offsite parking or look at parking at a different terminal than shuttling/train to terminal c?

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, midtown said:
I was just kicking around teh idea of taking my kids to Montreal but not anymore.  WTF is going on?

Don't fly AC and you're good. Butt fuck that airline. Check out their Twitter to see the shitstorm going on right now. It's happening everywhere.

Missing a “t”

For some reason my dumbass did not remember you can book flights through chase’s travel portal and use points. To the airline it is like you payed with cash. 

On my work trip to Boston my wife decided to go last minute. Miles through United was 42k round trip. Using points on the Sapphire came in at 31k points. And she received 3k miles for taking the trip. 

Looks like I’ll be using this method to fly the family to Seattle in September as well. I’ll save about 38k points because United’s dynamic award chart is shit and I haven’t seen a saver award in forever. 

Apologize if this has already been answered - we are going to air bnb a property we bought and remodeled.  We really need a separate business card to track expenses.  Ideally I'd grab a card with a good one time signup bonus like miles.  Are restrictions applied to this card that limits when you can get another bonus?  For example I can't get he AA miles bonus until next February on my personal card, is this true for a business card.  Also - any recommendation for the best card to get for this?