TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

On 6/2/2022 at 8:55 PM, Ag with kids said:

I hate quoting my own post...but I did it for context.  I just confirmed that you can get 2 AMEX Plat Business cards AND get the 150K MR points for the second one.  The 150K points just hit my account yesterday.

And today...I got another offer to get an AMEX Bus Plat card with no lifetime language for ANOTHER 150K MR...I've got a few more big expenses coming up in the next few months so WTF, let's see if I hit the bullseye again.  I'm going to wait until mid July though to maximize those expenses and I have until 7/31 to pull the trigger.

I quoted the $0.02/MR points and from my experience, it's easily that...especially since a lot of redemptions get 35% points back.

And....

I just got approved for my THIRD AMEX Platinum Business Card with 150K MR points after $15K/3 mo spend.  That's 2 this year in addition to the one I got several years back.

WTF?  I mean, I'll take the points, but I guess they're making bank from the fees or something...

And they ARE worth close to $0.02/MR points...hell, even if it was only $0.01 I'm still coming out ahead.  Yeah...it's another $695 AF, but the MR points are worth between $1500-$3000 and I can use probably $300-$400 of the benefits they give you, so, the AF is really only $295-$395.

This was a snail mail offer this time, FWIW.

• Like 1

For those who are not big flyers and don't really get much in the way of status.    Found out that the United Infinite card comes with Premier access.   Normally not a big deal for me since I don't check bags or deal with the ticketing counter at all but on my most recent trip I took my bag checker girlfriend.   In the Belize airport the bag check line was probably 45 mins long.   No one in the premier line.  So I was able to get through there in 5 mins.  I did have the fat guy waiting in the normal line call me an asshole when I went in front of him through the premier line

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't fly AC and you're good. But fuck that airline. Check out their Twitter to see the shitstorm going on right now. It's happening everywhere.

This thread was the first I heard about Air Canada’s problems. Then I got to thinking about our Montreal trip this weekend. Flight there is AC, flight home is UAL.

Supposed to fly DFW-YUL tomorrow at 7:00 am. Got a text from AC at 9:00 pm tonight (10 hours before departure) that the flight was canceled. No offer to rebook or anything, just canceled.

2cfb2d3e88cbc5106b96efea58d5a0d7.jpg

Got an email a few minutes after that with a “What are my options?” link that ended up being a customer service number to request a refund. They aren’t even trying to be helpful, just throwing their hands up in defeat.

We are headed to Montreal for a wedding so we really want to go. Naturally all remaining available flights are worse times and significantly more $$$.

I booked through Chase and they were able to get me on a different AC flight tomorrow that leaves later, connects in DEN, and gets me to YUL super late. I half expect it to get canceled or make it to DEN and then get stuck there.

This thread was the first I heard about Air Canada’s problems. Then I got to thinking about our Montreal trip this weekend. Flight there is AC, flight home is UAL.

Supposed to fly DFW-YUL tomorrow at 7:00 am. Got a text from AC at 9:00 pm tonight (10 hours before departure) that the flight was canceled. No offer to rebook or anything, just canceled.

Got an email a few minutes after that with a “What are my options?” link that ended up being a customer service number to request a refund. They aren’t even trying to be helpful, just throwing their hands up in defeat.

We are headed to Montreal for a wedding so we really want to go. Naturally all remaining available flights are worse times and significantly more $$$.

I booked through Chase and they were able to get me on a different AC flight tomorrow that leaves later, connects in DEN, and gets me to YUL super late. I half expect it to get canceled or make it to DEN and then get stuck there.

Fuck, i hope you make it. I feel for you. Let us know.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:15 AM, midtown said:

For those who are not big flyers and don't really get much in the way of status.    Found out that the United Infinite card comes with Premier access.   Normally not a big deal for me since I don't check bags or deal with the ticketing counter at all but on my most recent trip I took my bag checker girlfriend.   In the Belize airport the bag check line was probably 45 mins long.   No one in the premier line.  So I was able to get through there in 5 mins.  I did have the fat guy waiting in the normal line call me an asshole when I went in front of him through the premier line

Fuck that guy. And you got to show your gf how it’s done. 

• Like 1

Fuck, i hope you make it. I feel for you. Let us know.

Well the flight out of DEN already got delayed 3 hours (I fully expect it to eventually get canceled). So now I arrive in DEN at 12:44 and leave at 8:20. Arrive in Montreal at 2:03 am.

I could spend ~8 hours in the DEN airport or I could catch an Uber into town and hit a brewery or get a good bite to eat somewhere. Suggestions?

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Well the flight out of DEN already got delayed 3 hours (I fully expect it to eventually get canceled). So now I arrive in DEN at 12:44 and leave at 8:20. Arrive in Montreal at 2:03 am.

I could spend ~8 hours in the DEN airport or I could catch an Uber into town and hit a brewery or get a good bite to eat somewhere. Suggestions?

We started to get PTSD whenever our phones got a text.  It was always a delay or cancelation.  

Going into Denver is going to make you go back through security.  Do you have Precheck?  If not, I probably wouldn't do that.  Lines have been awful this summer, and especially this weekend.

Did you make it, or are you hanging out at the bar on Terminal A at DIA? If the latter, say hi to the bartender with the great ass for me. Air Canada food vouchers work for booze. Just saying.

Did you make it, or are you hanging out at the bar on Terminal A at DIA? If the latter, say hi to the bartender with the great ass for me. Air Canada food vouchers work for booze. Just saying.

We made it. Arrived in Montreal at 3:00 am. During the DEN layover we took the train to Union Station and had food/drinks at Wynkoop and some other outdoor cafe. Flight situation sucked but Denver was good to us.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

We made it. Arrived in Montreal at 3:00 am. During the DEN layover we took the train to Union Station and had food/drinks at Wynkoop and some other outdoor cafe. Flight situation sucked but Denver was good to us.
Nice. Honestly, I'm amazed you made it.
  • Like 1

Dropping this here. Apparently amex plat offers fast track security at certain int'l airports. via The Points Guy.

But, how do you know whether your departure airport offers this perk?

Unfortunately, there’s no easy answer to this question. This Swedish page on Amex’s website indicates that Fast Track security is offered as a Platinum cardmember perk at several Nordic airports, including:

• Stockholm Arlanda Terminal 5.
  • Stockholm Arlanda Terminal 2.
  • Gothenburg Landvetter Airport.
  • Malmo Airport.
  • Helsinki Vantaa.

And I was also able to find several other international airports where Amex Platinum cardholders get access to a special security line, including:

In Stockholm, Amex Platinum cardholders only need to show their boarding pass and Amex Platinum card to the security attendant. I didn’t hear the attendant ask any Amex Platinum cardholders where their card was issued or examine cards to determine their issuer. So, at least when I visited Stockholm earlier this year, those with a U.S.-issued Amex Platinum could use Fast Track security. I also didn’t see any cardholders of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express being turned away even though there was no mention of the card on the signage.

But, at some airports, you may not be able to use Fast Track security unless your Amex Platinum Card was issued in the region or by a particular bank. So, you may be turned away from some security lines even if you see a sign indicating that Amex Platinum cardholders get access. And for Fast Track security at some airports, you may need to use a kiosk to register, which may restrict access to only select Amex Platinum cardholders.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-platinum-fast-track-security/?utm_source=TPG Daily Newsletter

Edited by Chopper

Dropping this here. Apparently amex plat offers fast track security at certain int'l airports. via The Points Guy.
But, how do you know whether your departure airport offers this perk?
Unfortunately, there’s no easy answer to this question. This Swedish page on Amex’s website indicates that Fast Track security is offered as a Platinum cardmember perk at several Nordic airports, including:
  • Stockholm Arlanda Terminal 5.
  • Stockholm Arlanda Terminal 2.
  • Gothenburg Landvetter Airport.
  • Malmo Airport.
  • Helsinki Vantaa.
And I was also able to find several other international airports where Amex Platinum cardholders get access to a special security line, including:
In Stockholm, Amex Platinum cardholders only need to show their boarding pass and Amex Platinum card to the security attendant. I didn’t hear the attendant ask any Amex Platinum cardholders where their card was issued or examine cards to determine their issuer. So, at least when I visited Stockholm earlier this year, those with a U.S.-issued Amex Platinum could use Fast Track security. I also didn’t see any cardholders of The Business Platinum Card from American Express being turned away even though there was no mention of the card on the signage.
But, at some airports, you may not be able to use Fast Track security unless your Amex Platinum Card was issued in the region or by a particular bank. So, you may be turned away from some security lines even if you see a sign indicating that Amex Platinum cardholders get access. And for Fast Track security at some airports, you may need to use a kiosk to register, which may restrict access to only select Amex Platinum cardholders.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-platinum-fast-track-security/?utm_source=TPG Daily Newsletter

Bus class seat also gets you fast track

On 7/1/2022 at 5:36 AM, wild_turkey said:

rofl

"labour shortage" + "beyond our control"

• Like 1

Southwest has a pretty good deal right now where you get $75K points for a new personal Visa card.  They say you can't get the bonus if you have any of their other cards.  I have a SW Business card.  Any idea whether this will count - or will I get the bonus?

On 6/30/2022 at 10:36 PM, wild_turkey said:

NOT what I wanted to hear but got an email from AC yesterday describing their excuses for delays, cancellations, etc.  Reminds me of the thoughts and prayers line that does victims no good when the problem is not fully addressed.  We are scheduled to fly into Montreal and board a train for a seven day trip across eastern Canada on the 25th.  Am going to be watching the flight to see if it completes in the weeks prior to our departure. 

Also, this little information might have something to do with the "labour shortage & beyond our control" bullshit:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-canada-layoffs-1.5572596

Edited by pch
additional information

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Southwest has a pretty good deal right now where you get $75K points for a new personal Visa card.  They say you can't get the bonus if you have any of their other cards.  I have a SW Business card.  Any idea whether this will count - or will I get the bonus?

DM me a referral code. My wife needs a new card. 

NOT what I wanted to hear but got an email from AC yesterday describing their excuses for delays, cancellations, etc. 

The AC president sent me an email a few days before our flight that was filled with similar excuses. It felt like an omen, then our flight got canceled. One of my friends was also flying AC from DFW-YUL on a later flight and his also got canceled.

We ultimately made it, but a 4 hour direct flight turned into a 16 hour travel time, arriving at 3 am, a full 15 hours later than our original arrival.

Hopefully you have better luck than we did.

10 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

The AC president sent me an email a few days before our flight that was filled with similar excuses. It felt like an omen, then our flight got canceled. One of my friends was also flying AC from DFW-YUL on a later flight and his also got canceled.

We ultimately made it, but a 4 hour direct flight turned into a 16 hour travel time, arriving at 3 am, a full 15 hours later than our original arrival.

Hopefully you have better luck than we did.

It's bad enough having to fill out all of the paperwork required to visit Canada before you can enter, but now with the national airline being so unreliable, it becomes even more of a hassle.  Our tour company has not been very helpful either with suggestions which makes this upcoming trip feel more like an antacid commercial than anticipated vacation.

Tons of flights being cancelled because airlines do not anticipate being able to meet demands - due in part to staff shortage and such.  While they need volume to make money on tiny margins, I think they also incur marginally MORE costs if they cannot accomodate booked flyers.

Tons of worker strikes in airline industry across Europe so the situation is pretty messed up all around

Also seen lines at dutch airports stretch outside the airline

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Tons of flights being cancelled because airlines do not anticipate being able to meet demands - due in part to staff shortage and such.  While they need volume to make money on tiny margins, I think they also incur marginally MORE costs if they cannot accomodate booked flyers.

Tons of worker strikes in airline industry across Europe so the situation is pretty messed up all around

Also seen lines at dutch airports stretch outside the airline

luggage /customs situation in Manchester has been insane for months. Power to the worker for quitting these back breaking, disrespected, underpaid jobs. 

On 7/6/2022 at 2:11 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

DM me a referral code. My wife needs a new card. 

Only a few more days left on the SWA 75K deal. I just got my wife a card this morning. Let me know if anyone else needs a referral.  I assume most on this thread are already playing the SWA game.

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend, while traveling back to SAT from my father-in-law's funeral out of Newark, we learned that United Premier access security lanes are regular security and not pre-check. I hadn't taken my shoes off or removed my laptop from my bag in years. Lesson learned that the marketing is bullshit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 9:52 PM, Ag with kids said:

And....

I just got approved for my THIRD AMEX Platinum Business Card with 150K MR points after $15K/3 mo spend.  That's 2 this year in addition to the one I got several years back.

WTF?  I mean, I'll take the points, but I guess they're making bank from the fees or something...

And they ARE worth close to $0.02/MR points...hell, even if it was only $0.01 I'm still coming out ahead.  Yeah...it's another $695 AF, but the MR points are worth between $1500-$3000 and I can use probably $300-$400 of the benefits they give you, so, the AF is really only $295-$395.

This was a snail mail offer this time, FWIW.

And...it's official...

The people at AMEX are on crack.

I just received my THIRD 150K MR bonus for my THIRD AMEX Business Platinum Card.  Yes, I have all 3 of them open right now.  I'll cancel 2 of them after the year anniversary.

I used the $400 per card Dell reimbursement this year to get a lot of stuff for my new home office.  Plus, the $200 per card in reimbursement for AA spending.  And, one of them is getting me $20/month off my phone service.

So, It'll cost me less than $100 to have all 3 this year.  Maybe less because I think I've used some other benefits I'm not remembering right now...

And just this year I've received 300K MR bonus point PLUS the points for spending.

I'm not going to have to pay for plane tickets to SXM for the next several years because of this...

• Hook 'Em 1

FYI.  Fuck Chase Sapphire Preferred.   I tried to use my CSP to pay for a tour  company in Viet Nam for a trip.  Declined for $138.  Called Chase.   Background I had thought I lost my CSP so I cxld it and ordered another one which is what I tried to use.    When I called Chase CSP number the person didn't even know I had a new card.   He tells me he sees no rejected transactions and to try it again.  Declined.  Then proceeds to tell me its not Chase declined its the merchant.   I used my Citi Premier with no issues.   15 mins later I get a chase fraud notice to confirm.   Bitch that was 15 mins ago.   Called them back and let thme have it.  This is supposed to be a high level travel card.  I have four cards with you dumb asses.   I have spent probably 20,000 on travel on your cards this year alone.   Fix your algos.   Moved my Chase pts to my Freedom card and closed it.      Citi has better point x's and I plan to but all my spending on United Infinite, Amex Hilton, and Citi Premier.   

Edited by midtown
  • Rage+1 1

And here I am, pleased as punch for the warning chase (finally) gave me for that 117th fraudulent transaction on my ihg premier (or what ever its called now.)

We’ll send you a new card and you’re not liable for those charges. 

Gee, ya think?

How about maybe letting someone know after the first couple?

In 18 hours. Mostly 10-15 bucks for fucking microsoft xbox fucking cards.

Edited by thunderlounge
feckin phone keyboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb question amnesty, plz.  The situation is taking the family to Maui next summer.

1)  Now that AA does not charge change fees, I understand that I should be able to make reservations and rebook if the price drops.  If I do that, I understand that comes back as a travel credit rather than a refund, but is that credit to each passenger, or would it come back to me to use however?

2) In one of those quirks, it's cheaper right now to fly into DFW, then to OGG rather than driving there and taking the direct flight.  If we fly in the evening before and have an overnight layover, we are good to use the Centurion lounge without the 3-hour window, correct?

On 8/13/2022 at 7:07 PM, midtown said:

FYI.  Fuck Chase Sapphire Preferred.   I tried to use my CSP to pay for a tour  company in Viet Nam for a trip.  Declined for $138.  Called Chase.   Background I had thought I lost my CSP so I cxld it and ordered another one which is what I tried to use.    When I called Chase CSP number the person didn't even know I had a new card.   He tells me he sees no rejected transactions and to try it again.  Declined.  Then proceeds to tell me its not Chase declined its the merchant.   I used my Citi Premier with no issues.   15 mins later I get a chase fraud notice to confirm.   Bitch that was 15 mins ago.   Called them back and let thme have it.  This is supposed to be a high level travel card.  I have four cards with you dumb asses.   I have spent probably 20,000 on travel on your cards this year alone.   Fix your algos.   Moved my Chase pts to my Freedom card and closed it.      Citi has better point x's and I plan to but all my spending on United Infinite, Amex Hilton, and Citi Premier.   

i had this shit going on geneva.  CSR declined on pretty much every purchase but the first one i made in town.  fraud text comes through, reply yes it was me, it replies try again, declined again.  had to use the citi card. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

America Express Platinum Card. Is it worth the high fee? I really only want it for lounge access and the sign up bonus 

Pays for itself and then some but you would need to use a few more of the perks.   Your sign up bonus is worth close to $1200 so if you cancel it after a year you are still way ahead.   If you keep it. 

$200 airline credit

$240 digital subscription credit

$200 Uber credit

CLEAR $179

Walmart+ $155 which also gets your Paramount+ so another $60.  Also with W+ you get .10/gal off at all Exxon.  Value obviously depends on how much you drive.  Call this $100

GE $20

Lounge food and drinks $200 min

So for me I derive close to $1200 in credit and that doesn't include my "offers" which is probably another $200

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

AmEx says I'm not eligible for the welcome offer!

Have you gotten it before?  Unlike other cards.  AMEX bonus offers are only once.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

IMO the fee isn’t worth it for lounge access. 

I wouldn't get it if the one and only benefit was lounge access.  However you can absolutely make up your fee with only lounge access.   Sitting down for food and a few beers in an airport is going to be $30-40 per visit.   If you travel a lot you can easily rack up $600 in food and drinks in a given year.

22 minutes ago, midtown said:

Have you gotten it before?  Unlike other cards.  AMEX bonus offers are only once.

I wouldn't get it if the one and only benefit was lounge access.  However you can absolutely make up your fee with only lounge access.   Sitting down for food and a few beers in an airport is going to be $30-40 per visit.   If you travel a lot you can easily rack up $600 in food and drinks in a given year.

I've never gotten it before. I have a Hilton branded card but that's it in the amex family 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 7:07 PM, midtown said:

I hate this about Chase.  The only card that never denies transactions is my Diner's Club card.  They probably still have people processing carbon copies and don't know what an algorithm is.  I need to get rid of it but member berries.

• Like 1

The AA card that includes admirals club access currently has a 80,000 mile bonus with a $5k spend within 3 months. It's typically 60k miles so a better than average deal for that card for anyone who's been on the fence about it.

I got mine last year when it was 75,000 as that was the highest I saw it at in a while.

Between that and my Delta card, the perks are making flying more enjoyable.

16 hours ago, Chopper said:

The AA card that includes admirals club access currently has a 80,000 mile bonus with a $5k spend within 3 months. It's typically 60k miles so a better than average deal for that card for anyone who's been on the fence about it.

It seems like the $450 AF significantly cuts into the value of the miles. There aren't a lot of other perks (travel credit, Uber credit, Peleton credit, etc.) to offset that fee, like you would typically get with some of the other premium travel cards.