TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

That's the one. Other than the admirals club membership, that card might make sense for someone is going to try for elite status due to the 10k bonus loyalty points if they put enough $$ on the card.
I have the Delta Amex reserve and without the companion pass, it's not worth it. I'm not carrying an airline card if it doesn't make my life easier. AA card doesn't do that for me...YMMV.

Help needed on finding flights to Europe from Austin or Houston.

I have about 300k total miles on United and want to fly my family of 4 to Europe next summer. Ideally, want to do Italy plus one other country.

All I'm seeing is 2 stop minimum flights, 17+ hours at a cost of 35k miles each way per person. Any idea how to get better flights?

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

I have the Delta Amex reserve and without the companion pass, it's not worth it. I'm not carrying an airline card if it doesn't make my life easier. AA card doesn't do that for me...YMMV.

Agreed. The regular amex platinum gets you in the DL lounge anyway.

My wife and I used to have the citi card with admirals club access but that was when we lived in AUS and were flying AA domestically much more often than we do now.

The Citi card with club access includes access for an additional cardholder as well as family members on the trip with you. It might make financial sense for someone who flies as little as twice a year if they're traveling with a spouse and children. The other scenario where I think it would make sense is if you're regularly flying solo domestically, or if you don't spring for biz class when traveling internationally.

The other thing worth noting is if you are facing a travel delay, getting help from one of the assistants inside the Admirals Club can be worth the price of admission by itself. They're usually the quickest to access, and are typically the most most helpful for seat assignments or rerouting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, El Tri said:

I have about 300k total miles on United and want to fly my family of 4 to Europe next summer. Ideally, want to do Italy plus one other country.

All I'm seeing is 2 stop minimum flights, 17+ hours at a cost of 35k miles each way per person. Any idea how to get better flights?

First, when you're searching for award flights, search for one way flights first. There are some airlines that require round trip bookings but none of them are US airlines. Searching for one way flights will speed up your search process and provide you with a lot more flexibility. Also booking your destination and return flights separately will provide potential cost-savings benefits down the road if you need to make any flight changes.

Also, AFAIK the only non-stops to Europe from HOU on United are to either London, Germany (Frankfurt or Munich). If you're not flying to one of those cities, you're going to inevitably end up with more complicated routing. From Austin, there are no nonstop United flights but UA partner Lufthansa has a nonstop flight from AUS to Frankfurt that may have award ticket availability. What this means for you is that if you're trying to book a flight to Italy, they're probably going to route you first to EWR or IAD, and then a flight to the UK and/or Germany, followed by a flight to Italy. You can try to short circuit this by looking for a one way flight HOU-MUC, HOU-FRA, or AUS-FRA. Or even HOU-LHR.

If you find a flight you like, the next step would be to either book it or to try to "force" a connecting flight by searching the same dates for a multi-stop flight that gets you to an airport in Italy that has nonstop service on UA partner Lufthansa from Germany. For example, try HOU-FRA-FCO (Rome) or any of the cities in Italy that interest you. If you're unable to find a flight from Germany to Italy using miles, you should consider using your miles to pay just for the portion to Germany and then figure out an itinerary that makes sense for you to get to Italy. An intra-european flight should be relatively easy and inexpensive to book using cash, or you may want to rent a car, or even take a train for a part of the trip.

Your search can get as complicated as you care to make it - you could also search for award flight availability from other UA cities with nonstop fights to Europe, such as EWR or IAD, and pay out of pocket for the flight to get you to that airport.

If you've searched for departure flights using the One Way option, figuring out a routing to get you back home will also be easier.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, El Tri said:

Unfortunately, United miles aren't the best for overseas travel (along with Delta).  Both of those airlines charge a lot of miles for those trips.  

I did see on the United site that if you can get to Dulles you'll have direct flights to Rome and the redemptions weren't terrible at about 60k miles round trip in economy.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Chopper said:

First, when you're searching for award flights, search for one way flights first. There are some airlines that require round trip bookings but none of them are US airlines. Searching for one way flights will speed up your search process and provide you with a lot more flexibility. Also booking your destination and return flights separately will provide potential cost-savings benefits down the road if you need to make any flight changes.

Also, AFAIK the only non-stops to Europe from HOU on United are to either London, Germany (Frankfurt or Munich). If you're not flying to one of those cities, you're going to inevitably end up with more complicated routing. From Austin, there are no nonstop United flights but UA partner Lufthansa has a nonstop flight from AUS to Frankfurt that may have award ticket availability. What this means for you is that if you're trying to book a flight to Italy, they're probably going to route you first to EWR or IAD, and then a flight to the UK and/or Germany, followed by a flight to Italy. You can try to short circuit this by looking for a one way flight HOU-MUC, HOU-FRA, or AUS-FRA. Or even HOU-LHR.

If you find a flight you like, the next step would be to either book it or to try to "force" a connecting flight by searching the same dates for a multi-stop flight that gets you to an airport in Italy that has nonstop service on UA partner Lufthansa from Germany. For example, try HOU-FRA-FCO (Rome) or any of the cities in Italy that interest you. If you're unable to find a flight from Germany to Italy using miles, you should consider using your miles to pay just for the portion to Germany and then figure out an itinerary that makes sense for you to get to Italy. An intra-european flight should be relatively easy and inexpensive to book using cash, or you may want to rent a car, or even take a train for a part of the trip.

Your search can get as complicated as you care to make it - you could also search for award flight availability from other UA cities with nonstop fights to Europe, such as EWR or IAD, and pay out of pocket for the flight to get you to that airport.

If you've searched for departure flights using the One Way option, figuring out a routing to get you back home will also be easier.

I hope this helps.

this is great info, thank you!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, El Tri said:

flying out of where? We're considering Greece along with Italy

We're in the Kansas City area. We had several route options, but flying thru Philadelphia worked best. A year ago we did the same on the way to Rome. Next year we are actually taking an Aegean Sea cruise and it leaves from Athens. We're going to Athens several days before to do things there before we sail.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/26/2022 at 9:25 AM, El Tri said:

this is great info, thank you!

@Chopper nailed it. Break things up by segment until you find the magic combo. Another tip is to use Wikipedia. They list every airline that flies to/from your airport as well as the destination city. This is a great aid to figure out the smartest was to combo the itinerary. You may even consider a stopover if the city is on your list of places to visit. For example, Turkish Air let’s you stop in Istanbul en route to your final destination. Iceland Air let’s you stop in Reykavik for 3 days en route. Both of these would be on a singular ticket instead of separate. 

• Like 1

Didn't see this posted.   I sent it to some friends/family and one was not eligible because I assume there are "everything on the SWA card" spenders (Which is dumb of course) and this is to try to get people who don't spend on SWA to do some spending.    15k points just for buying gas is crazy good though and when you have two V8's that get 14 mpg maxing out is pretty easy for me. 

PXL_20221101_121124740.jpg

Edited by midtown

I could use a new credit card or two for the sake of bonus points. My primary card is CSR because I like the flexibility of redeeming points.

I mainly fly AA out of DFW. I usually rotate the Barclay and Citi AA cards with myself and my wife so that one of us has one card at any point in time. I haven’t done one in my name in 3 years.

I occasionally fly other airlines, just not as regular or predictable. I did the SWA promo last year so that’s out. Not opposed to a United or Delta deal as long as the miles don’t expire.

I’ve done Amex Gold in the past. Liked their travel portal. Not sure if I’m still eligible for Amex Plat bonus since that’s a different product.

Lounge access is not a major perk for me. I try to minimize time in airports.

Should I do the Citi Premier card with the 80k bonus? Or keep churning AA cards for 50k miles each time? Something else entirely?

I could use a new credit card or two for the sake of bonus points. My primary card is CSR because I like the flexibility of redeeming points.

I mainly fly AA out of DFW. I usually rotate the Barclay and Citi AA cards with myself and my wife so that one of us has one card at any point in time. I haven’t done one in my name in 3 years.

I occasionally fly other airlines, just not as regular or predictable. I did the SWA promo last year so that’s out. Not opposed to a United or Delta deal as long as the miles don’t expire.

I’ve done Amex Gold in the past. Liked their travel portal. Not sure if I’m still eligible for Amex Plat bonus since that’s a different product.

Lounge access is not a major perk for me. I try to minimize time in airports.

Should I do the Citi Premier card with the 80k bonus? Or keep churning AA cards for 50k miles each time? Something else entirely?
I've got the Delta Amex reserve card and love it. Free entry to sky clubs and a yearly companion pass make the annual fee more than worth it. PM me if you are interested in it and ill send you my referral link.
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 7:21 AM, midtown said:

Didn't see this posted.   I sent it to some friends/family and one was not eligible because I assume there are "everything on the SWA card" spenders (Which is dumb of course) and this is to try to get people who don't spend on SWA to do some spending.    15k points just for buying gas is crazy good though and when you have two V8's that get 14 mpg maxing out is pretty easy for me. 

PXL_20221101_121124740.jpg

I’d love to get that offer. I get them from time to time, but never a 10x on gas.

if you have a link DM me please

On 6/24/2022 at 9:52 PM, Ag with kids said:

And....

I just got approved for my THIRD AMEX Platinum Business Card with 150K MR points after $15K/3 mo spend.  That's 2 this year in addition to the one I got several years back.

WTF?  I mean, I'll take the points, but I guess they're making bank from the fees or something...

And they ARE worth close to $0.02/MR points...hell, even if it was only $0.01 I'm still coming out ahead.  Yeah...it's another $695 AF, but the MR points are worth between $1500-$3000 and I can use probably $300-$400 of the benefits they give you, so, the AF is really only $295-$395.

This was a snail mail offer this time, FWIW.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA...WTF again.

I now am approved for my FOURTH AMEX Platinum Business card with 120K MR points after $15K/3mo spend.  I've got some big expenses coming up so this was perfect to knock out about $14K of that...

Come next year, I'll start cancelling cards #2 and #3...but until then, gimme free stuff...

This was just a card offer on the website.

Edited by Ag with kids
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA...WTF again.

I now am approved for my FOURTH AMEX Platinum Business card with 120K MR points after $15K/3mo spend.  I've got some big expenses coming up so this was perfect to knock out about $14K of that...

Come next year, I'll start cancelling cards #2 and #3...but until then, gimme free stuff...

This was just a card offer on the website.

How the fuck do you keep getting these?

27 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

How the fuck do you keep getting these?

I have NO fucking idea.  They apparently just want to keep giving me free points.  This is LITERALLY the third one I've been approved for in 2022.  That's 420K MR points...

I just dropped 260K for 2 plane tickets to the DR over Christmas (should have booked my trip a few months ago because it would have been less than 200K).

So, this will help replenish my account.

Well...the game may be stupid, but I guess I'll keep playing it.  Seems to be more lucrative than Vegas.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Now we need to teach you how to use those points more effectively unless that was for the whole family.  I fly business class to Europe for two for way less points than that. 

Please do.  I got 2 AA tix from SAT-POP last week for over the Christmas holidays.  Used Amex Travel and spent 260K MR points.  How can I improve that?

Transfer to the airline bucket if at all possible.  American is tough with Amex points because AA miles come through Citi card spending.  I use Amex points to transfer to Avios generally.  Those 260k points will almost get you from JFK to Milan and back for two in Emirates first class which is supposed to be a great flying experience.

How I did Spain.  Transferred MR points from Amex to Iberia at 1:1.4.  Redeemed Avios off peak for 42000 each way in business class from Miami to Madrid and back.  Total cost for two was 120000 MR points.  You just need to look at what routes you can fly and what Amex points transfer partners you can use on that route.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 1:50 PM, VABuckeye said:

Transfer to the airline bucket if at all possible.  American is tough with Amex points because AA miles come through Citi card spending.  I use Amex points to transfer to Avios generally.  Those 260k points will almost get you from JFK to Milan and back for two in Emirates first class which is supposed to be a great flying experience.

How I did Spain.  Transferred MR points from Amex to Iberia at 1:1.4.  Redeemed Avios off peak for 42000 each way in business class from Miami to Madrid and back.  Total cost for two was 120000 MR points.  You just need to look at what routes you can fly and what Amex points transfer partners you can use on that route.

I'll definitely look into the Avios deal, but off peak is usually not an option for us.  The GF is a teacher so travel is summer and Christmas realistically.  And the Christmas trip is one we do every year.

BTW, how would I do Avios from TX to the Caribbean?

I did remember that AMEX will give me back 35% of my MR points so the trip will only end up costing 169K.  I also could have booked it months before and it would have been less too.  I just dropped the ball this year.

Avios is just an example. When flying out of the country look at transfer partners that fly where you want to go on favorable routes.  Avios are great on American domestically because British Air uses a mileage based chart.  I’ve done Avios on my last couple of trips because one trip was to Spain and the other to Italy and Iberia gets you to both countries.  Avios can be freely transferred between British Air, Iberia and also Aer Lingus.  Aer Lingus also uses Avios and I believe their Philly to Dublin redemptions are a great value for business class. 

Every airlines mileage program is free to join.  Then it’s just a matter of transferring the points and booking.  Many foreign carriers offer much better redemptions to Europe than airlines based in the US.   Way better in many cases and particularly so if you like the really nice seats. 

Edited by VABuckeye

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Avios is just an example. When flying out of the country look at transfer partners that fly where you want to go on favorable routes.  Avios are great on American domestically because British Air uses a mileage based chart.

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

You would redeem Avios for a flight on AA. Look at AA’s Award availability to plan. Can also use Avios for domestic travel on AA.

A whole lot of all of this. If you learn the distances, you can get around really well on AA with avios. And with significantly fewer miles than if it were from an AA account.

Combined with Silver or better with BA and you’ve got any of the upcharge seats, including MCE, at no additional charge at time of booking. Which means free F&B with MCE.

I’ve also on occasions found availability with avios that wasn’t there with AA miles. So checking anyway isn’t going to hurt. 

On 11/11/2022 at 7:14 PM, VABuckeye said:

Avios is just an example. When flying out of the country look at transfer partners that fly where you want to go on favorable routes.  Avios are great on American domestically because British Air uses a mileage based chart.  I’ve done Avios on my last couple of trips because one trip was to Spain and the other to Italy and Iberia gets you to both countries.  Avios can be freely transferred between British Air, Iberia and also Aer Lingus.  Aer Lingus also uses Avios and I believe their Philly to Dublin redemptions are a great value for business class. 

Every airlines mileage program is free to join.  Then it’s just a matter of transferring the points and booking.  Many foreign carriers offer much better redemptions to Europe than airlines based in the US.   Way better in many cases and particularly so if you like the really nice seats. 

Please 'splain something to me........Most of my travel is domestic.  Points stack up with MR, Marriott, and United mostly.  What if any arbitrage strategies are used by you pros to maximize those points, vs. just booking reward travel directly through the sponsoring entity (above 3)?  

So CSR has an 80k bonus again.  I got it 8 years ago on the CSR and I got the CSP 80k bonus right at two years ago.  My records show I opened the CSP Nov 3 but I don't know when I actually go the 80k deposit.  I assume it took me a few months to rack up the spend.  So Im pretty close to being past the 48 mths   I poked around the chase website but can't really see back that far as to when I actually got the bonus.  Any ideas on how to find that date?

5 hours ago, midtown said:

So CSR has an 80k bonus again.  I got it 8 years ago on the CSR and I got the CSP 80k bonus right at two years ago.  My records show I opened the CSP Nov 3 but I don't know when I actually go the 80k deposit.  I assume it took me a few months to rack up the spend.  So Im pretty close to being past the 48 mths   I poked around the chase website but can't really see back that far as to when I actually got the bonus.  Any ideas on how to find that date?

Call the automated 1-800 line on the back of the card and see when your last payment was.

got doinked by the fineprints of amex plat FHR benefits.  to get the $200 annual credit, hotel stay must be *prepaid*. 

i did exact same hotel before and got credit instantly.  then stayed at it again and credit never came... called in twice and given bad info until i realized thats what tripped it up.  no courtesy waivers... "thank you for being a member for 16 years" pffft.

New to this. I've got a toe in the water but I'm a little tepid on it because it seems like a lot to learn and my plate is always pretty full. I signed up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred on the advice of someone and did the thing where I met the minimum spend, referred my wife, and she met the minimum spend so now sitting on 150k points there. Also have a bunch of points in my US Bank Flex Rewards account. Is there a website or resource out there that shows you the best exchange/transfer programs for each card? I also need to figure out what my next card should be and if I am understanding the game correctly I want to find one that partners with my preferred travel brands, right? Thanks in advance for any general advice. 

39 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Where do you want to go?

Part of my hesitation - I don't really know. I started doing this because it seemed dumb not to. I'm spending the money anyway. I am probably going to try to put together a 4-5 day trip to Orlando in Jan/Feb. I also will plan a bigger trip in the summer. I want to try to pull off Hawaii or maybe something in the Caribbean. I'm not sure if I should take what I've got and try to use it for a petty Orlando trip or something bigger. 

On 11/21/2022 at 10:20 PM, Baboontyme said:

New to this. I've got a toe in the water but I'm a little tepid on it because it seems like a lot to learn and my plate is always pretty full. I signed up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred on the advice of someone and did the thing where I met the minimum spend, referred my wife, and she met the minimum spend so now sitting on 150k points there. Also have a bunch of points in my US Bank Flex Rewards account. Is there a website or resource out there that shows you the best exchange/transfer programs for each card? I also need to figure out what my next card should be and if I am understanding the game correctly I want to find one that partners with my preferred travel brands, right? Thanks in advance for any general advice. 

The Points Guy (google it) has some decent advice.  I'm not saying it's the end all be all, but it's good enough to get you started.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, 52-80 said:

got doinked by the fineprints of amex plat FHR benefits.  to get the $200 annual credit, hotel stay must be *prepaid*. 

i did exact same hotel before and got credit instantly.  then stayed at it again and credit never came... called in twice and given bad info until i realized thats what tripped it up.  no courtesy waivers... "thank you for being a member for 16 years" pffft.

Oh wow I didn't realize that restriction. Good to know. I actually I forgot about the credit too lol. Have a trip to Portugal coming up.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:20 PM, Baboontyme said:

Yeah The Points Guy "Best ways to Chase Points" would be one of the best places to start. Also there are occasional month-long transfer bonus specials from CSR to airline programs from time to time so the best value may fluctuate a bit.

• Like 1

How the hell do you use Avios miles for domestic flights?  I've got a few 100K on BA and need to plan a trip to DC from Houston in a few weeks and wanted to use miles.  I tried to search for flights from the BA site using Avios miles and no flights are available with either miles or by paying cash...  Tried to then book on AA but the miles it shows aren't Avios miles but rather AA miles...  Went to the Avios site and it kicks you back to the partner airlines...  Getting frustrated...

Edited by Grimas

On 11/22/2022 at 8:07 AM, Baboontyme said:

Part of my hesitation - I don't really know. I started doing this because it seemed dumb not to. I'm spending the money anyway. I am probably going to try to put together a 4-5 day trip to Orlando in Jan/Feb. I also will plan a bigger trip in the summer. I want to try to pull off Hawaii or maybe something in the Caribbean. I'm not sure if I should take what I've got and try to use it for a petty Orlando trip or something bigger. 

Start reading up and let your imagination go wild. I dropped around 750k points to go to Italy and Cabo this year without spending any $$$ on airfare or hotels. CC points make it possible when loyalty program accruals alone won’t suffice. 

Do the math on Orlando. Simple $/point redemption and see how it compares to Hawaii or Caribbean. My guess you will get the most value with points to Hawaii assuming it’s still there. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Grimas said:

How the hell do you use Avios miles for domestic flights?  I've got a few 100K on BA and need to plan a trip to DC from Houston in a few weeks and wanted to use miles.  I tried to search for flights from the BA site using Avios miles and no flights are available with either miles or by paying cash...  Tried to then book on AA but the miles it shows aren't Avios miles but rather AA miles...  Went to the Avios site and it kicks you back to the partner airlines...  Getting frustrated...

If they arnt showing up for BA but showing up on AA try calling BA and asking about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, millhouse said:

If they arnt showing up for BA but showing up on AA try calling BA and asking about it.

This. Typically you’ll find flights with an avios search. 

You will not find them for cash or a combination of points/cash as they aren’t a US carrier and therefore cannot sell domestic tickets. (Straight points is a loophole, and a good one.)

If nothing, you can always call and see. May or may not be anything there, but you’re no worse off.

Shit changes multiple times a day, so keep checking too.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Grimas said:

image.thumb.png.f78cf4a11ddbf8bcc8f436af3a04e918.png

image.thumb.png.a5c71ebd6e82c4d41e9284da1c948d08.png

@Grimas - my c&p is from the BA website. I may be telling you what you already know but availability was sparse yet I found some on the 2nd date I tried.

1. Book it as a 1 way. Separate your departure and return flights.

2. Log into the BA site, under Book you have to hover then click "book with avios"

3. Choosing Hobby from Houston yields results to DC, IAH doesn't.

edit - also I could not find anything in round trips even though one ways showed availability. Returning on the 13th to HOU showed 1 ticket was available on both daily flights.

2nd edit - I didn't check but it looked like there was no availability beginning in mid december. Sometimes (often) it works out best to use points within 3 days of departure.

Edited by Chopper