TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

Ok, thanks for the insights. I actually applied for two new cards. I have three currently but one of them I have had for like 15 years for my first card in college and I only keep it because it helps with the length of accounts deal in the credit. I use Chase Sapphire Reserve and Southwest currently. I applied for the AA Aviator Red and The AA Citi Mastercard Platinum select.

AA Aviator Red is spend $1500 in the first 3 months and get 60k

AA Advantage is spend $2000 in the first 3 months and get 50k.

I have flights to Europe and Chile coming up September and December and figured I could get one of them paid for by spending what I already spend. This this the correct way to go about things. Notice how I am asking after I applied. 😃

• 1 month later...

Has anyone commented on the Chase Sapphire lounge at ABIA yet?  It’s about 40 sq ft of air conditioned space and 2000 sq ft of rooftop patio overlooking the tarmac.  We lasted about 10 minutes before the dry sauna heat and jet engine noise drove us back inside.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

Has anyone commented on the Chase Sapphire lounge at ABIA yet?  It’s about 40 sq ft of air conditioned space and 2000 sq ft of rooftop patio overlooking the tarmac.  We lasted about 10 minutes before the dry sauna heat and jet engine noise drove us back inside.  

I finally got the Preferred last year, and figured to get the Reserve once we had some kind of accessible lounge here at AUS.  Once I saw how the ‘lounge’ was going to work, truly being useful only 20% of the time where weather here is nice…guess not.  

5 hours ago, Homercles said:

I finally got the Preferred last year, and figured to get the Reserve once we had some kind of accessible lounge here at AUS.  Once I saw how the ‘lounge’ was going to work, truly being useful only 20% of the time where weather here is nice…guess not.  

You can get a courtesy bag of Doritos if that feels like a good value for you.  They also have a salad vending machine.  

The best part was people watching other patrons as they stationed themselves on the patio and tried to pretend the lounge exclusivity was something they should value enough to endure the growing discomfort.  

Lack of lounges is exactly why I dumped the Chase trifecta (CSR, Freedom Flex, Freedom) after many years and switched to AMEX Platinum and Venture X.

I read about the ABIA Sapphire lounge and am so glad that I can walk right by it on my way to the Sky Club. 

Edited by Yev Kassem

On 6/2/2023 at 8:56 AM, midtown said:

Barclay has a 70,000 sub for their AA Aviator.  If I wasn't committed to UA I'd be all over that.   Might do it anyway

I signed up for this last year and it was 50,000. I was pissed when I saw it was bumped to 70,000 on my flight to Phoenix last week. Oddly enough, return flight had the 50,000 offer.

I’m stumped.

Recent trip to Glacier National Park.  We would fill up with gas in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, the Dakotas…the gas gage consistently indicated that we could travel 550 miles….then, when we then got gas in Texas, it indicated that we could go 470 miles.  Is there a logical explanation?

I’m stumped.
Recent trip to Glacier National Park.  We would fill up with gas in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, the Dakotas…the gas gage consistently indicated that we could travel 550 miles….then, when we then got gas in Texas, it indicated that we could go 470 miles.  Is there a logical explanation?
You actually get less gas if you fill up when it is hot. I doubt it makes that big of a difference, though.

I’m stumped.
Not all gas is true gas, water content additives etc. Temps will also determine fuel density and more dense fuel equates to a more efficient burn therefore more MPG's

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:
I’m stumped.

You actually get less gas if you fill up when it is hot. I doubt it makes that big of a difference, though.

Thx.

16 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:
I’m stumped.

Not all gas is true gas, water content additives etc. Temps will also determine fuel density and more dense fuel equates to a more efficient burn therefore more MPG's

Thx.

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I’m stumped.

E85?

11 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I’m stumped.

During the lockdowns my DTE upon fill up would be about 480, now it’s about 440.  Vast majority of my driving is highway, which was wide open during lockdowns, perhaps like traveling through Western States.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I’m stumped.

Your car runs leaner at higher elevations due to less oxygen in the air and I assume there’s less work to ‘pump’ the thinner air, along with slightly better aerodynamics.  It’s also why mountain towns sell gas with slightly lower octane.

10 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Your car runs leaner at higher elevations due to less oxygen in the air and I assume there’s less work to ‘pump’ the thinner air, along with slightly better aerodynamics.  It’s also why mountain towns sell gas with slightly lower octane.

Thanks.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:20 PM, LCHorn said:

On 7/3/2023 at 9:35 PM, Yev Kassem said:

Lack of lounges is exactly why I dumped the Chase trifecta (CSR, Freedom Flex, Freedom) after many years and switched to AMEX Platinum and Venture X.

I read about the ABIA Sapphire lounge and am so glad that I can walk right by it on my way to the Sky Club. 

I don't understand why you would utilize a lounge in your home airport.  Are y'all getting there 3 hours early or something?

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't understand why you would utilize a lounge in your home airport.  Are y'all getting there 3 hours early or something?

Have you been to Bergstrom?  It might take 20 minutes to get through security, it might take two hours and that’s with Precheck.  

• Rage+1 1

Yeah, I don't get this, either. I plan trips so I have lounge access on layovers, but the only time I've used a lounge at DIA was when we got delayed after arriving at the airport.

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I usually get to SAT an hour before my flight.  I'm usually through security in 10 mins with CLEAR and Pre; with 50 mins to take off and 20 or so mins to boarding.  If you think I'm going to sit with the unwashed for 20 mins longer than I have to you are mistaken

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I travel a decent amount for work so mostly utilize the lounges on my trips back home, not so much on the outbound trip (I’m based in SAT). If I can dip out of my last meeting a few hours early and then hit up the Delta Sky Club or Centurion Lounge to knock back some free beers or cocktails I’m definitely doing it. With security lines at many major airports a crapshoot pretty much each trip, I typically plan on getting to the airport at least two hours early, giving me plenty of time in case there’s a delay. At worst I spend a little more time in the lounge than originally planned.

Sky Club is also great because it’s one of the few lounges you can actually utilize after arrival in your destination (not just pre-flight or during connection). This is great if you’re meeting someone at the same airport and their flight arrives a little while after yours (or is delayed) and you have a relaxing space to sit and wait (with aforementioned food and beverages at your disposal). 

I usually get to SAT an hour before my flight.  I'm usually through security in 10 mins with CLEAR and Pre; with 50 mins to take off and 20 or so mins to boarding.  If you think I'm going to sit with the unwashed for 20 mins longer than I have to you are mistaken

This is me and traveling with a new baby is triggering as all get out. Following my parent’s example, I was always a get in/out as quickly as possible traveler.

This “get to the airport 2.5 hours ahead of time to sit for 1.5 hours makes me loony”, especially given the lack of lounges in AUS and the restrictive policies for those actually present.

On 7/7/2023 at 10:46 AM, midtown said:

It’s cute that you fly commercial and think you are not part of the “unwashed” because you have a credit card.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

It’s cute that you fly commercial and think you are not part of the “unwashed” because you have a credit card.

Even us GA folks have to get dirty and fly commercial. The lounge is a godsend with kids. Only takes one open chair and I can slowly take over the whole section with my gaggle of hellions. 

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2023 at 10:46 AM, midtown said:

How does CLEAR work with TSA Precheck? 

They are largely disconnected programs.

Think of security as two completely different steps.

1 ID check
2 baggage and body screening

Clear bypasses step 1. After that you go to step two. If you have pre you got to the pre screening
If you don't you go to normal screening.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, midtown said:

They are largely disconnected programs.

Think of security as two completely different steps.

1 ID check
2 baggage and body screening

Clear bypasses step 1. After that you go to step two. If you have pre you got to the pre screening
If you don't you go to normal screening.

What started as a question I was going to pose to you ended up with me $229 poorer and a Clear member. Thanks a lot Rachel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What started as a question I was going to pose to you ended up with me $229 poorer and a Clear member. Thanks a lot Rachel.
I've never paid a dime for either and that includes both of my kids and my special lady friend. I have 3 cards that pay for all of it
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Finally depleting my Marriot Bonvoy points this summer.  couple of rooms at the JW Marriot in San Antonio and just pulled the trigger on the Texas/Bama game and using a free nights award at the plain Jane Marriot in Birmingham.  

I've had that card forever going back to the Starwood days, but they seem to keep depleting the award stay values every year.  Might look for something new.  any of yall keep the Bonvoy card around?

On 7/10/2023 at 2:55 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

Finally depleting my Marriot Bonvoy points this summer.  couple of rooms at the JW Marriot in San Antonio and just pulled the trigger on the Texas/Bama game and using a free nights award at the plain Jane Marriot in Birmingham.  

I've had that card forever going back to the Starwood days, but they seem to keep depleting the award stay values every year.  Might look for something new.  any of yall keep the Bonvoy card around?

I've noticed the exact same thing.  Point to dollar value seems skewed not to mention the increase in average room rates.  We've used points a few times this year, but have actually cashed out a ton with Amazon gift gards.  If you don't want to use them on travel, check out the other redemption options.  

I have a Southwest card as well.  Considering getting rid of both that and Bonvoy and moving to AMEX Platinum or something similar.  We just don't travel like we used to, so I'm not getting the value any way you slice it.  

Care to share what it ran you point wise? Is there a good site to mess around with potential stays vs the beating of the Marriott site and just checking different properties? I have 294k points right now and I don’t know what I want to do for the holidays but I wouldn’t mind a fun ass few days/week somewhere awesome 

Edited by Zepol87

15 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Care to share what it ran you point wise? Is there a good site to mess around with potential stays vs the beating of the Marriott site and just checking different properties? I have 294k points right now and I don’t know what I want to do for the holidays but I wouldn’t mind a fun ass few days/week somewhere awesome 

the JW was ~63K per night for a standard room.  The Marriott in Bham  for the UT/AL game was ~22K per nigh I think

I used to save up points and get a suite at the Cosmo about every year but redemption was terrible this year and it was like 260K or something for 2 nights.  the  Points Guy or similar point blog had a decent write up for Marriott rewards like a month ago, google-fu that and it should find the article.  The Waldorf properties are always fun but again, they seem to be gouging you on the redemption amount.    

Edited by gyroprotagonist
  • Hook 'Em 1

I used a Marriott 35K free night plus ~7K add on points for a 24 hour staycation down at Austin Proper back a month ago.  It was fantastic. Rates were going for like $450, so I felt like it was a decent value.  In fairness thought, I would have stayed at a Motel 6 in Pflugerville just to get away from the kids for 24 hours.

• Hook 'Em 1

If anyone needs a new travel card, the Chase Ink business has a big points bonus right now (100K).  And the referrals are crazy high (40K).  If anybody is planning to get one, let me know and I'll send a referral link.

And if you already have one, a good plan is to send your SPOUSE a referral link.  Then they get an independent card and 100K bonus and you get the 40K.

• Like 1

About to make a $14k non-business purchase and I wanted to get an American Airlines travel card, but haven't ever grabbed the in-flight offers they hock. It looks like the offer links are locked down pretty tight online/reddit for some reason. Can anyone flying AA now/soon help?

Only fly AA and wanted to build up some status with their card. Any other card ideas though?

About to make a $14k non-business purchase and I wanted to get an American Airlines travel card, but haven't ever grabbed the in-flight offers they hock. It looks like the offer links are locked down pretty tight online/reddit for some reason. Can anyone flying AA now/soon help?

Only fly AA and wanted to build up some status with their card. Any other card ideas though?
I have the AA card and use it for my daily non business spend. The card has been pretty good and offer promo deals on interest rates as well.

I'm a Delta loyalist but it's nice to have flying options these days.

They might be depleting / devaluing / whatever, but so is everyone else.  Fuck 'em.  We stick with the devil-we-know. 

We were Starwood people as well.  We hated being absorbed into the Marriott Bonvoy bullshitedness.  We carried that Starwood card a long time before that Bonvoy "Brilliant" (or whatever the fuck they call it) card showed up.  We still primarily stay at Sheratons and Westins, but it truly is nice to have some of the Marriott options, depending on location.  

Our Brilliant Luxury Amex (or whatever the fuck they call it) has worked for us.  We use it only for travel, and we're currently sitting on 998,000 points.  We won't make Ambassador this year, due to our Spending, but...Titanium suits us just fine.  With or without the card, we are well on our way to Lifetime Platinum, whether we have a card or not.  We figure that will suit us well once we hit retirement.