TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

Slightly off topic perhaps.  I have to go on a business trip in late September. I will need to book 14 nights in hotels in India and the Philippines. I need to use the corporate credit card, but I can book any way I want.  Is there a hotel booking engine that provides better rewards, assuming the pricing will all be similar.  Should I use something like Hotels.com and get a free night for every 10 nights or booking.com that gets me Aadvtange miles or something else?

Depends on what you need.

Regarding Hotels.com...no, just no.

All major hotel programs have promos. But, where you want to go may not have a hotel for that brand. You'll have to decide that. On Hilton alone, I don't see how you don't score at least 4-5 nights at a decent hotel booking on a 2X points rate and signing up for their Double Points promo. See if you can get a comp status upgrade beforehand though.

If you want straight airline miles, go with Rocketmiles. That's not a hard rule though. Some hotel programs may give you a better ROI earning miles directly.

Sorry if this had been discussed, but I don’t want to search. We just flew to Croatia and back via AA/Iberia and they lost our bags going both ways. It took 4 days to get them in Croatia and we are on day 8 coming back. I’ve been told we can ask for financial restitution for this, but curious how to start that process. Anyone have experience?

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Why?

Why would you? He’d yield 1 night at best off of 17.

If he used Hilton, he’d probably earn an average of 7,000 points per night on a 2X points/Double points promo rate with no status. (Depending on the price) For 17 nights, that’s 119,000 points and he’ll end up with Gold Status. That’s almost 4 nights at a 30,000/nt Hotel. Or 2 nights at a Waldorf/Conrad at the 50,000 - 60,000 Level.

IHG’s Accelerate promo for Q3 comes out tomorrow. He could probably hit most if not all of the goals and get aspire Elite. That’s a good haul too.

I only mention those 2 programs because you’re virtually guaranteed to find a property wherever you go. Radisson could be decent too depending on where he wants to spend the points.

Ok.  I thought you meant in general and not specific to his situation.  I agree if you are going to do 17 nights on company dime and are staying in one place then I totally get it but for someone like me that isn't tied to a chain and would prefer to find something different or unique based on the city at half the cost of say a Marriott it does give you some benefit.  

15 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Sorry if this had been discussed, but I don’t want to search. We just flew to Croatia and back via AA/Iberia and they lost our bags going both ways. It took 4 days to get them in Croatia and we are on day 8 coming back. I’ve been told we can ask for financial restitution for this, but curious how to start that process. Anyone have experience?

Call and document. It is a painful process but everything is negotiable in my experience. They will want receipts of what it cost you because you didn't have luggage. 

14 hours ago, midtown said:

Ok.  I thought you meant in general and not specific to his situation.  I agree if you are going to do 17 nights on company dime and are staying in one place then I totally get it but for someone like me that isn't tied to a chain and would prefer to find something different or unique based on the city at half the cost of say a Marriott it does give you some benefit.  

For personal travel, I will pay more sometimes to stay at a boutique hotel. Only if going to a large city, will I prefer a chain.

20 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Why would you? He’d yield 1 night at best off of 17.

If he used Hilton, he’d probably earn an average of 7,000 points per night on a 2X points/Double points promo rate with no status. (Depending on the price) For 17 nights, that’s 119,000 points and he’ll end up with Gold Status. That’s almost 4 nights at a 30,000/nt Hotel. Or 2 nights at a Waldorf/Conrad at the 50,000 - 60,000 Level.

IHG’s Accelerate promo for Q3 comes out tomorrow. He could probably hit most if not all of the goals and get aspire Elite. That’s a good haul too.

I only mention those 2 programs because you’re virtually guaranteed to find a property wherever you go. Radisson could be decent too depending on where he wants to spend the points.

What is this math. 

Hilton base gives 10pt/$. 

150$/nt * 17nt * 10pt/$ * 2x bonus =  51,000 points, of which only 25500 is eligible for status.

Neither the points nor the nights will qualify for Gold.

Hotels.com gives effective 10% back.  17 nights does not yield "at best" 1 night.  It guarantees 1 night. 

And because it works on a per dollar (rather than per night) basis, it actually guarantees 1.7 nights, assuming same cost basis.

Better yet, rewards collections AND redemption is completely chain agnostic.  

I have status on multiple chains but staying in chains is never my first option.  Even for leisure travel.  Wifi used to be a perk a decade ago but non-issue now.  Free fruits and throwaway wine on arrival?  Yippee.  How about a voucher for a free drink at the bar?  Wow.  Upgrade to room with 1.5x the space, of which I'd still only occupy the bathroom and the bed? 

Brands also don't really strict standards globally.  From Manila to Cairo to Nicosia to Dar Es Salaam, I'd rather look for and book the most appropriate hotel at each location, than be handicapped by a brand.  

Not to mention limited booking capacity, fluctuating room categories and classifications, promos only active for certain rates or with certain participating sub-brands, etc..... hotels loyalty is a dinosaur game

What credit card did you book your airfare through? For instance, the CSR gives great lost/delayed baggage reimbursement of $100/day or up to $3,000 if it’s totally lost. Lots of other cards have their own insurance.

I am a total novice at miles grinding but also travelling to Europe. I hope a few of you will take the time to offer me your advice.

I married a Chicago girl so our miles are on United. It's her Mileage Plus account and we currently have the Chase United Explorer card and 500k miles. We are on our second year of Pre-Check. Our kids are about to be juniors in HS and we want to take a Europe trip next summer. I'd like to do Austria/Germany/Hungary (seeing an F1 Grand Prix to cap off a trip would be awesome for me but meh for the spouse) but I think the wife is looking more toward Great Britain and maybe northern France. Using the fare finder on the Mileage Plus website is a drag. We did Hawaii several years ago and they would increase and decrease the mileage cost of the flights by the day for no reason but to sucker me into purchasing. Is there a partner that will take UA miles that may be easier to use or offer a better experience? We live in Austin. 

Picked up the new SW card from Chase that gives you 40k miles for 1k spend and additional 25k miles for 14k spend beyond that point.

That’ll easily put more over for both A-List and Companion Pass given I’m sitting on 20k miles from travel already this year. Plan on using the fuck outta CP to travel up and down the east coast next year - Should be fun!

On 8/3/2018 at 3:26 PM, 52-80 said:

What is this math. 

Hilton base gives 10pt/$. 

150$/nt * 17nt * 10pt/$ * 2x bonus =  51,000 points, of which only 25500 is eligible for status.

Neither the points nor the nights will qualify for Gold.

Hotels.com gives effective 10% back.  17 nights does not yield "at best" 1 night.  It guarantees 1 night. 

And because it works on a per dollar (rather than per night) basis, it actually guarantees 1.7 nights, assuming same cost basis.

Better yet, rewards collections AND redemption is completely chain agnostic.  

I have status on multiple chains but staying in chains is never my first option.  Even for leisure travel.  Wifi used to be a perk a decade ago but non-issue now.  Free fruits and throwaway wine on arrival?  Yippee.  How about a voucher for a free drink at the bar?  Wow.  Upgrade to room with 1.5x the space, of which I'd still only occupy the bathroom and the bed? 

Brands also don't really strict standards globally.  From Manila to Cairo to Nicosia to Dar Es Salaam, I'd rather look for and book the most appropriate hotel at each location, than be handicapped by a brand.  

Not to mention limited booking capacity, fluctuating room categories and classifications, promos only active for certain rates or with certain participating sub-brands, etc..... hotels loyalty is a dinosaur game

Not sure what to say. I disagree with your earning math and conclusions.

Yes, it guarantees 1 night at the average spend. If we’re calling that $150, he’ll get a “free” night at a $150 hotel after 10 nights. On the math you posted, which does not account for all earnings he could sign up for, he’d earn enough points to exceed the $150 cap since redemptions trend to charts/seasons with Hilton. So he could theoretically have 1 night at a nice hotel or 2 nights at an average hotel. Both exceed 1 night at an OK hotel, depending on where that “up to $150 in value” redemption is spent. The chances of hitting that number on the nose, with taxes, is remote. Not to mention, he would in fact get status earnings for using reward nights.

You are leaving out some of the good perks like Executive Lounge access and point savers/stretcher rates. (I.E. 5th night is free with points) Not to mention increased earnings per $1 spent, anyway benefits and things like breakfast and welcome amenities. Status is completely worth it to me. I agree that loyalty is overrated though. I’m going to go where I benefit the most rather than have the iPhone vs. Android level of debates over chains. If simply earning free nights is your goal, Radisson would be my #1 over any of them. You can earn in chunks and get the best bang for your buck.

15 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Not sure what to say. I disagree with your earning math and conclusions.

Yes, it guarantees 1 night at the average spend. If we’re calling that $150, he’ll get a “free” night at a $150 hotel after 10 nights. On the math you posted, which does not account for all earnings he could sign up for, he’d earn enough points to exceed the $150 cap since redemptions trend to charts/seasons with Hilton. So he could theoretically have 1 night at a nice hotel or 2 nights at an average hotel. Both exceed 1 night at an OK hotel, depending on where that “up to $150 in value” redemption is spent. The chances of hitting that number on the nose, with taxes, is remote. Not to mention, he would in fact get status earnings for using reward nights.

You are leaving out some of the good perks like Executive Lounge access and point savers/stretcher rates. (I.E. 5th night is free with points) Not to mention increased earnings per $1 spent, anyway benefits and things like breakfast and welcome amenities. Status is completely worth it to me. I agree that loyalty is overrated though. I’m going to go where I benefit the most rather than have the iPhone vs. Android level of debates over chains. If simply earning free nights is your goal, Radisson would be my #1 over any of them. You can earn in chunks and get the best bang for your buck.

The credit at hotels.com can be applied to a booking of any price, so it could be applied as partial credit towards a more expensive hotel, for example.  Not bound to any tiers or categories.

What I question for how you came to a figure of 120k points and Gold status earned for the hypothetical 17 nights booking - by mentioning the status eligibility implies also the assumption that he/she would be making this stay from 0 baseline status and thus no pre-existing earning multiplier.

On 8/3/2018 at 5:25 PM, Austinvines said:

I am a total novice at miles grinding but also travelling to Europe. I hope a few of you will take the time to offer me your advice.

I married a Chicago girl so our miles are on United. It's her Mileage Plus account and we currently have the Chase United Explorer card and 500k miles. We are on our second year of Pre-Check. Our kids are about to be juniors in HS and we want to take a Europe trip next summer. I'd like to do Austria/Germany/Hungary (seeing an F1 Grand Prix to cap off a trip would be awesome for me but meh for the spouse) but I think the wife is looking more toward Great Britain and maybe northern France. Using the fare finder on the Mileage Plus website is a drag. We did Hawaii several years ago and they would increase and decrease the mileage cost of the flights by the day for no reason but to sucker me into purchasing. Is there a partner that will take UA miles that may be easier to use or offer a better experience? We live in Austin. 

All of the Star Alliance partners will take United miles.  Lufthansa should hit all of your destinations, but so will United if you're going to the larger cities/airports in those areas.  If you are just looking for free flights whether in coach or business, using miles, Star Alliance partners are fine and may offer more options.  If you are looking to buy coach and upgrade using miles, Star Alliance partners can be a total PITA and expensive with the "co pay" on certain fares.  If you are looking for "ease of use," upgrading does not fit that bill.  Regardless, unless you're going to a destination that is not served at all by United, it's almost always gonna be easier to use your miles on a United flight, not a code share, not a partner. 

The only time I would use a partner would be if the partner route is more efficient and I'm on a  time crunch.   For example, LAX to Frankfurt on Lufthansa is a direct flight over the top of the world, ~11 hours.  On United, you would have to either fly to SFO and then over the top to Frankfurt, adding at least 2.5 hours and more like 4; or, stop in Chicago or the east coast, which adds over 6 hours when all is said and done.  Flying out of Austin, though, I don't think you would be faced with that scenario.

• Like 1

Flight question on AA using miles.  This is all coach.  November will be leaving from AMS back to SA.   Currently I have an 1130 BA to LHR. 2 hr stay.  LHR to PHL 2 1/2 hr wait and then PHL to SA.  A more direct AA from AMS to PHL is now available.  Leaves at 12 and direct to PHL where Ill spend almost 4 hours eating and drinking at the AMEX lounge.  Normally that's a no brainer to cut out a transfer esp in LHR.   However.  I don't mind layovers in airports.  I love to people watch.   My issues is this.  The AMS to PHL is a 767.  The LHR to PHL is A330.  I've heard not great things about the 76.   So I'm tempted to just stay with the original flight.   Has AA upgraded their 76 offering?   Also when transferring through LHR from AMS will I have to clear any customs or immigration?  

Edited by midtown

On 8/3/2018 at 3:26 PM, Party_Taco said:

Picked up the new SW card from Chase that gives you 40k miles for 1k spend and additional 25k miles for 14k spend beyond that point.

That’ll easily put more over for both A-List and Companion Pass given I’m sitting on 20k miles from travel already this year. Plan on using the fuck outta CP to travel up and down the east coast next year - Should be fun!

The extra card points don’t count for A-list or companion points

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The credit at hotels.com can be applied to a booking of any price, so it could be applied as partial credit towards a more expensive hotel, for example.  Not bound to any tiers or categories.

What I question for how you came to a figure of 120k points and Gold status earned for the hypothetical 17 nights booking - by mentioning the status eligibility implies also the assumption that he/she would be making this stay from 0 baseline status and thus no pre-existing earning multiplier.

Well, it’s called “work”. 

When I posted, we didn’t have a barometer for a rate. Now we do of $150.00 per night. Let’s put the theory to the test...

First, the obvious. He needs to create a Hilton account. Then, he needs to sign up for the Double Points promo (NOTE: This promo has extended twice already and is confirmed to extend again until early Nov): http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/offers/100112297.htm

Then he needs to Fast Track to Gold. There are a few ways to do this, but the shortest is here, which he is on his own to figure out how to bypass the targeted email: https://www.hiltonhonors.com/en_US/HHCM/20170921-winback-gold But, let’s leave any Challenge aside to start with.

Now, we need an arbitrary baseline for his status. He mentioned 17 nights and a few different destinations. We’ll use your $150.00 per night.

Then, it’s just a matter of doing the math. As you stated, it’s 10 points per $1 spent when he is a Blue member. So the base would be roughly 1,200 points at $150.00 per night. (I’m assuming the rate is $120.00 + taxes since you don’t earn points on taxes paid) But if he books the double points rate, which doubles the amount of base points he earns, it’s 2,400 points per night. Then you stack the Double Points promo and it’s 3,600 per night. 

On this baseline, the math would be 3,600 X 17 nights = 61,200

But, he will qualify for Silver Status the natural way when he hits 4 stays or 10 nights. (12 points earned per $1) So, we’ll go conservative not knowing his travel schedule and say he’ll meet it with the nights options rather than stays:

10 nights at 3,600/night = 36,000 points

7 nights at 4,320 per night ($120.00 X 12 X 3)= 30,240 points 

His baseline, absolutely minimum earned, would be 66,240 points

Now, if he wants to do some work...

Hilton will grant you provisional status with their Status Match program. If he doesn’t have any status, he could do something as simple as calling up Radisson and having them match a faux status over the phone to get upgraded to Gold, which is worthless at that chain. Then he signs up for the Status Challenge with Hilton, which requires 4 stays in 90 days to maintain through March 2020. (Which he may or may not hit depending on his travel schedule) But, during the provisional period of 90 days, he will automatically get Gold status. (18 points per $1 spent) Or, he can bypass all this and get the AMEX Ascend Card for automatic Gold status even though he has to use his Corporate card to pay for the rooms. The Executive Lounge, gourmet breakfast and free premium internet is a nice touch though.

Now, we can re-do the math and add on to it:

$150.00 X 18 points = 2,700 points. 2,700 X 3 (Base, DP Rate, DP Promo) = 8,100 Points. As a Gold member, he also gets a Myway benefit of 1,000 points to bump that up to 9,100 points per night. 9,100 points X 17 nights = 154,700 points

So, he would earn anywhere from 66,240 points - 154,700 points on a rate of $150.00 per night depending on how aggressive he wants to get. (And retain Gold status depending on the Challenge offer he did) Then you just pick your poison. If I wanted to go to Oktoberfest in Munich on September 28, I could get as many as 2 nights at the Hilton Munich City Center using points. Or, I could pay the €474 + tax rate per night...or use my $150.00 Hotels.com coupon to save about €120 for only 1 night. Or, I could get 1-3 nights at the Hilton Barcelona using points or use my $150.00 Hotels.com coupon to save on 1 night of the €250.00 per night average rate. If I wanted to go to Branson fucking Missouri I could book at 30,000 points per night for up to 6 nights or get 1 free night at the $150.00 Hotels.com rate for the good old Hampton Inn on the Strip. (Hilton Members get their 5th night free using points)

That’s how.

7 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

When I posted, we didn’t have a barometer for a rate. Now we do of $150.00 per night. Let’s put the theory to the test...

First, the obvious. He needs to create a Hilton account. Then, he needs to sign up for the Double Points promo (NOTE: This promo has extended twice already and is confirmed to extend again until early Nov): http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/offers/100112297.htm

Then he needs to Fast Track to Gold. There are a few ways to do this, but the shortest is here, which he is on his own to figure out how to bypass the targeted email: https://www.hiltonhonors.com/en_US/HHCM/20170921-winback-gold But, let’s leave any Challenge aside to start with.

Now, we need an arbitrary baseline for his status. He mentioned 17 nights and a few different destinations. We’ll use your $150.00 per night.

Then, it’s just a matter of doing the math. As you stated, it’s 10 points per $1 spent when he is a Blue member. So the base would be roughly 1,200 points at $150.00 per night. (I’m assuming the rate is $120.00 + taxes since you don’t earn points on taxes paid) But if he books the double points rate, which doubles the amount of base points he earns, it’s 2,400 points per night. Then you stack the Double Points promo and it’s 3,600 per night. 

But, he will qualify for Silver Status the natural way when he hits 4 stays or 10 nights. (12 points earned per $1) So, we’ll go conservative not knowing his travel schedule and say he’ll meet it with the nights options rather than stays:

Hilton will grant you provisional status with their Status Match program. If he doesn’t have any status, he could do something as simple as calling up Radisson and having them match a faux status over the phone to get upgraded to Gold, which is worthless at that chain. Then he signs up for the Status Challenge with Hilton, which requires 4 stays in 90 days to maintain through March 2020. (Which he may or may not hit depending on his travel schedule) But, during the provisional period of 90 days, he will automatically get Gold status. (18 points per $1 spent) Or, he can bypass all this and get the AMEX Ascend Card for automatic Gold status even though he has to use his Corporate card to pay for the rooms. The Executive Lounge, gourmet breakfast and free premium internet is a nice touch though.

$150.00 X 18 points = 2,700 points. 2,700 X 3 (Base, DP Rate, DP Promo) = 8,100 Points. As a Gold member, he also gets a Myway benefit of 1,000 points to bump that up to 9,100 points per night. 9,100 points X 17 nights = 154,700 points

So, he would earn anywhere from 66,240 points - 154,700 points on a rate of $150.00 per night depending on how aggressive he wants to get. (And retain Gold status depending on the Challenge offer he did) Then you just pick your poison. If I wanted to go to Oktoberfest in Munich on September 28, I could get as many as 2 nights at the Hilton Munich City Center using points. Or, I could pay the €474 + tax rate per night...or use my $150.00 Hotels.com coupon to save about €120 for only 1 night. Or, I could get 1-3 nights at the Hilton Barcelona using points or use my $150.00 Hotels.com coupon to save on 1 night of the €250.00 per night average rate. If I wanted to go to Branson fucking Missouri I could book at 30,000 points per night for up to 6 nights or get 1 free night at the $150.00 Hotels.com rate for the good old Hampton Inn on the Strip. (Hilton Members get their 5th night free using points)

That’s how.

Ah, the Rube Goldberg process

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Ah, the Rube Goldberg process

At it’s extreme, yes. But as a general rule, not really. Simply getting a hotel branded card to pay for your stays will multiply the amount of points earned and provide you with an elevated status to earn a higher base points. In this instance, the base points are multiplied by 3 to accommodate the Double Points rate and promo. That would earn an additional 960 points per night at an eligible base rate of $120 as a Gold member vs. a Blue. On 17 nights, that equates to an additional 16,320 points for simply obtaining a credit card. If he were able to pay for his stays, which would earn an additional 12 points per $1 spent with the AMEX Ascend, he’d earn an additional 30,600 points. That doesn’t include the sign up bonus, which he would meet the spending threshold simply paying for these stays and nothing else. The $95 annual fee for all the perks is worth it. (Especially for the free booze in the lounges)

If he just said “Yeah, I’m not going to jump through those hoops” he’d be guaranteed 66,240 points at that rate and earn Silver status at Hilton, which at least gives you an elevated earnings rate and free internet. The points earned would be of equal or greater value to what he’d earn at Hotels.com as he’d get 1-3 nights of value based on his desired location and their place on the Award chart. At a higher rate redemption, he’d simply get a free night at a $700/nt hotel rather than save $150 and be out of pocket an additional $550 going the Hotels.com route.

I forgot to add, Hotels.com does have the added value of flexibility. If you choose to remain loyal to a brand, and a destination that doesn't have a hotel in said brand, your points are worthless. Hotels.com will at least guarantee you a room anywhere on the globe, provided that there is lodging there, because you're not married to any loyalty. Depending on your travel plans, that may be a better deal.

I just used Hilton as an example because they cover pretty much every major destination people typically travel to. If we had moved the argument to a Hyatt or Fairmont, I'd agree with you 100% I don't see the point in limiting yourself to smaller branded hotel chains to get you a slighter more upscale feel than a Waldorf Astoria, Conrad or a Hilton Park Lane London type hotel. Same thing with a Wyndham or even a Best Western brand. There is a designated sweet spot of about 4 hotel chains that matter in the hacking world IMO. (Hilton, Radisson, IHG and Marriott/Starwood) All are situational.

• Like 1

That’s how.

300d94dd06f16c0e5b89b5b3c4138427.jpg
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Show me where you’re seeing that?

From Southwest website

What are tier qualifying points?*

Tier qualifying points are earned from revenue flights or through the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase. Points earned via Rapid Rewards partner(s)-with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase-purchased points, bonus points, or points earned via a promotion are not tier qualifying points and do not count toward tier qualification.

one correction to my post:  I think they do count toward companion pass

10 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I've been a bit of a road warrior this year and am just flabbergasted with how long and slow and grueling the AAadvantage program has been. You can't get the status honestly, I think you have to get the credit card.

Same thing with hotels.

Credit card won’t do anything for you on status. I used to do mileage runs but when they changed to a revenue based model I couldn’t keep up anymore. Best I can hope for is Gold as most of my travel is on JetBlue or Amtrak in the NE and AA has limited destinations from JFK. I fly SWA to Dallas so I can redeem points for personal trips easier. 

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I've talked to a few people who have lamented that AA's changes have made it harder over the last year or 18 months. You have to have a combination of revenue and qualified miles flown.

Here is the thing with the Aviator card or whatever the try to sell on the flights; even if don't level you up on status, can you at least get something better than Group 6? My gosh, what's a guy got to do to get some status?

I made the leap and now push all my credits to BA. Still point based (tier points, which are set by distance based zones), and if you hit silver (600 TP) you can access lounges domestically as a OW sapphire. Now you won’t get “upgrades” or that shit on AA, but if you’re buying the cabin anyway then you aren’t losing anything. 

4 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I've talked to a few people who have lamented that AA's changes have made it harder over the last year or 18 months. You have to have a combination of revenue and qualified miles flown.

Here is the thing with the Aviator card or whatever the try to sell on the flights; even if don't level you up on status, can you at least get something better than Group 6? My gosh, what's a guy got to do to get some status?

You get Group 5 with the Citi cards, not that it's much better. The Aviator card is shit beyond the ridiculously easy sign-up bonus threshold + annual fee. 60,000 miles for $95.00 is a great deal. 

Only way to do is it BIS (Butt In Seat) I travel a fair amount for business and it will still be hard for me to advance past Gold because all my international travel is personal on points.

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I made the leap and now push all my credits to BA. Still point based (tier points, which are set by distance based zones), and if you hit silver (600 TP) you can access lounges domestically as a OW sapphire. Now you won’t get “upgrades” or that shit on AA, but if you’re buying the cabin anyway then you aren’t losing anything. 

Meh. If you really want a guaranteed upgrade, use AA miles to do it on a purchased Coach ticket. Economy Plus is fine for me most of the time with Gold. Anything over 4 hours is questionable.

I go hot and cold on BA. I hate the fact that I have to pay their stupid fuel surcharge for redeeming Avios for a 100% AAA metal TA flight. But, I love that if I had to cancel said flight I'd get my miles back minus taxes and I can book a flight at the airport on Avios without a stupid <21 day surcharge. I just wish I didn't have to involve LHR as a hub all the time as it's out of the way for mainland Europe and always pricey due to the exchange rate.

On 8/7/2018 at 6:24 PM, thunderlounge said:

No. Their 767’s are shit, and on their way out. Make sure anything over the atlantic is AA though, and not BA, as you’ll pay out the ass on fucking BA surcharges. 

Often for coach you can get tickets on AA cheaper than the “award” fees BA charges. Such a ripoff BA is. 

13 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Haha. You have to fly on OPM. Other people’s money. Basically status is overrated unless you fly every week. I am an EXP based in DFW with about 24K a year spend and Monday or Friday flights are a crap shoot to get upgrades. 

All the airlines have finally got smart and started pricing 1st domestic reasonable. Us lowly people can’t buy that and have to sweat it. 

Go to Flyertalk for lots of good info on maximizing your airline stuff  

21 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I have flown every other week since April.

Ok. One thing I loved coming from US Air was rolling spend for upgrade. Old AA would give upgrade priority to early bookers. Us last minute full price suckers would get to sit in back. 

Until you fly 100K plus 12K spend a year. you are a friendly nuisance to AA. To do 100K miles a year you have to fly basically every week or fly coast to coast. The other way is buy first and get more “eqm”. 

The good old days are gone and flying isn’t near as fun or lucrative as it used to be. The funny thing is I will be lifetime platinum this year and the one thing I WILL not do when I retire is fly any where. 

On 8/8/2018 at 5:11 PM, Spankytoes said:

Meh. If you really want a guaranteed upgrade, use AA miles to do it on a purchased Coach ticket. Economy Plus is fine for me most of the time with Gold. Anything over 4 hours is questionable. 

I go hot and cold on BA. I hate the fact that I have to pay their stupid fuel surcharge for redeeming Avios for a 100% AAA metal TA flight. But, I love that if I had to cancel said flight I'd get my miles back minus taxes and I can book a flight at the airport on Avios without a stupid <21 day surcharge. I just wish I didn't have to involve LHR as a hub all the time as it's out of the way for mainland Europe and always pricey due to the exchange rate. 

Upgrades aren't my priority, so that's a wash for me. With the whole avios thing, since UR's can transfer to BA's avios, that was the tipping point for me. No sense (in my situation) to collect AA miles for flights, and have to convert UR's to BA. Might as well have miles in the same bucket.

22 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Upgrades aren't my priority, so that's a wash for me. With the whole avios thing, since UR's can transfer to BA's avios, that was the tipping point for me. No sense (in my situation) to collect AA miles for flights, and have to convert UR's to BA. Might as well have miles in the same bucket.

Very true. They are awesome in a pinch but can be frustrating to use for international travel. Especially with connections on AA metal. I redeem UR with BA for miles rarely because I usually need SWA more. The dude that hooked me up with an Avios transfer this year still deserves a few top shelf drinks from me though. Holla @G650

56 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Very true. They are awesome in a pinch but can be frustrating to use for international travel. Especially with connections on AA metal. I redeem UR with BA for miles rarely because I usually need SWA more. The dude that hooked me up with an Avios transfer this year still deserves a few top shelf drinks from me though. Holla @G650

Shit, you just reminded me I have three other people to send some too. I totally fucking forgot.

Other peeps, I will have yalls over tomorrow!!!!

Riddle me this.  Booked a flight to Europe for Oct but plans might change.   52,500 AA pts. RT

Option 1.  Return them to my account. Cost $150.

Option 2  Change the flight to March no cost.  Except.  If the new flight is say 45,000 AA pts I have to pay the $150 to return 7500 pts to my account? 

42 minutes ago, midtown said:

Riddle me this.  Booked a flight to Europe for Oct but plans might change.   52,500 AA pts. RT

Option 1.  Return them to my account. Cost $150.

Option 2  Change the flight to March no cost.  Except.  If the new flight is say 45,000 AA pts I have to pay the $150 to return 7500 pts to my account? 

I have no idea the answer to this, but I have been meaning to tell you I couldn't get BA to accept the Avios transfer to your account. Are there any Avios in there at the moment? Apparently it cant be zero.