Sports Card Collecting

EZ$

I haven’t been “collecting” in probably 20 years and don’t pay any attention to it now, but anyone got any old card “finds” or favorites?

My dad will be passing down a Mickey Mantle collection with at least one card from 1957-1969. 

My prized card collection is probably my 1987 Topps complete set. That thing’s value has to be in the thousands now!!

From what i’ve Read, the sports card collecting hobby has been almost dead for decades - except for the really scarce collectibles. One of my sons has complete sets he acquired new from 1979 through the mid 1980s.

Supposedly the same for stamp collecting. I started collecting stamps in the early 1950s and have a vintage book with scores of decent stuff from the first half of the 20th century. Ain’t worth much as far as I know. But then again I don’t know diddly.

24 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Supposedly the same for stamp collecting. I started collecting stamps in the early 1950s and have a vintage book with scores of decent stuff from the first half of the 20th century. Ain’t worth much as far as I know. But then again I don’t know diddly.

Yeah, those S&H stamps just don't bring what they used to.

My stamp collection has been collecting dust for decades, but it's all right there on the bookshelves collecting dust.

• 1 month later...

I’ve got some old cards still somewhere, but I think these days my most valuable is the complete set of the 1994 Coke Monsters of the Gridiron cards. I do have some signed things I have put up in the game room. Couple of Nolan signed things, Bagwell bat, David Robinson photo, a 1992 locker room stat sheet signed by almost the full Spurs roster, and the crown jewel, a Longhorn helmet from their 2006 championship signed by nearly everyone on the team. Still missing Ramonce which I need to get off my ass and go get, but all the other big players are there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2018 at 8:59 AM, EZ$ said:

I haven’t been “collecting” in probably 20 years and don’t pay any attention to it now, but anyone got any old card “finds” or favorites?

My dad will be passing down a Mickey Mantle collection with at least one card from 1957-1969. 

My prized card collection is probably my 1987 Topps complete set. That thing’s value has to be in the thousands now!!

User name does not check out.

• Haha 1

This is the only one I really like. Turned down a $200 offer for it 13 years ago. Gave its mate (seat # 16) to my son for his 2006 MNC memorabilia shadowbox display. Roger Staubach took the loss like a man after that game, but the eastern/yankee media had a meltdown just like the SEC last week.

7-FE69405-D350-42-E6-A0-C9-DB859938-BD9-

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

From Christmas 1986 until august 1993, i was the biggest Dallas Cowboys football card collector.  All I cared about was getting 1 of every single Card/stamp/boxtop/errors/promo card issued every single year from Topps 1960 (which just said Dallas Cowboys on the card, but no one was in a Cowboys uniform yet), to the explosion of 17+ card sets that were released in 1992, effectively killing my goal.

I had a total list and at last count from close to 20 years ago that showed there were less than 40 total cards (and the other promos) that I needed to complete the collection from 1960 to 1991.  That list is still valid, I could probably find those cards now for hyper cheap.

until 1988, there was only 1 annual set made by Topps every year (with a 3 year exception of 81-84 with Fleer stepping in and then dropping it),  There were multiple promo sets over the years that were good for 1 year only (1972 Sunoco Stamps, and 1962 Post Cereal come to mind).

Then 1989 had Score step in and create a set (then a rookie set- which had Aikman's real rookie card), that was cool, got them all, 1990 had something like 4 sets (I think Pro Set,  Action Packed, Topps, and Score),     I got all those but the 1991 sets that were released killed me.  something like 10 new sets, Bowman, Upper Deck, Fleer and several other sets all were released, and each one of those sets had at least one hyper-rare promo card of at least one of the triplets, if not all 3 of them.   That took a shitload of haggling and trading to get all those promos and that set.

1992 murdered me, easily 17 different sets, all of them with rare promos of the triplets,  Pro Set in 1992 did this hyper-weird set of 4 Emmitt Promo cards (interestingly enough- they called him a Pre-HOF'er in that set and "projected" his next 10 years rushing stats showing him breaking Walter's record) ....... that were 4 levels of rare.   1/10 boxes rare, another that was 1/100 boxes rare, the 3rd card was 1/1000 boxes, and the last card was 1/10,000 boxes rare.  That season was the year Dallas won it all  in 1993 and those promo cards were selling for as much as $500 each.

By the time 1993 rolled around and I was headed off to UT, there were just too many sets, with almost every one having a 1/1000 level rare cards of the Cowboys for me to try and find (and as a high school student, I couldn't afford paying $100+  x17 every year), so once I moved to austin, I gave up on the collection.

today that collection is worth maybe, MAYBE $1,000..... I easily spent $10k from my allowance, part time job and summer job money over those 8 years.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:37 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

From Christmas 1986 until august 1993, i was the biggest Dallas Cowboys football card collector.  All I cared about was getting 1 of every single Card/stamp/boxtop/errors/promo card issued every single year from Topps 1960 (which just said Dallas Cowboys on the card, but no one was in a Cowboys uniform yet), to the explosion of 17+ card sets that were released in 1992, effectively killing my goal.

I had a total list and at last count from close to 20 years ago that showed there were less than 40 total cards (and the other promos) that I needed to complete the collection from 1960 to 1991.  That list is still valid, I could probably find those cards now for hyper cheap.

until 1988, there was only 1 annual set made by Topps every year (with a 3 year exception of 81-84 with Fleer stepping in and then dropping it),  There were multiple promo sets over the years that were good for 1 year only (1972 Sunoco Stamps, and 1962 Post Cereal come to mind).

Then 1989 had Score step in and create a set (then a rookie set- which had Aikman's real rookie card), that was cool, got them all, 1990 had something like 4 sets (I think Pro Set,  Action Packed, Topps, and Score),     I got all those but the 1991 sets that were released killed me.  something like 10 new sets, Bowman, Upper Deck, Fleer and several other sets all were released, and each one of those sets had at least one hyper-rare promo card of at least one of the triplets, if not all 3 of them.   That took a shitload of haggling and trading to get all those promos and that set.

1992 murdered me, easily 17 different sets, all of them with rare promos of the triplets,  Pro Set in 1992 did this hyper-weird set of 4 Emmitt Promo cards (interestingly enough- they called him a Pre-HOF'er in that set and "projected" his next 10 years rushing stats showing him breaking Walter's record) ....... that were 4 levels of rare.   1/10 boxes rare, another that was 1/100 boxes rare, the 3rd card was 1/1000 boxes, and the last card was 1/10,000 boxes rare.  That season was the year Dallas won it all  in 1993 and those promo cards were selling for as much as $500 each.

By the time 1993 rolled around and I was headed off to UT, there were just too many sets, with almost every one having a 1/1000 level rare cards of the Cowboys for me to try and find (and as a high school student, I couldn't afford paying $100+  x17 every year), so once I moved to austin, I gave up on the collection.

today that collection is worth maybe, MAYBE $1,000..... I easily spent $10k from my allowance, part time job and summer job money over those 8 years.

From 1989 to 1994 I collected the shit out of football cards.  Still have 180 or so different Emmitt Smith cards.  They're cool to look at when I visit my parents and revisit all those memories.  Those memories are worth more than the $15 I could get flipping thousands of cards from that era. 

• 4 weeks later...

I did the same thing with Steeler cards starting with the 70 merger and when the explosion happened, I limited myself to Topps to keep my sanity.  I got the others, but only counted Topps for my mental defect in having complete sets.  I gave up around 2000, but I have a folder for each brand from Action Packed to Upper Deck with 3 for Topps (total 21) still lined up in my downstairs closet.  Moved on to bigger and better things with Longhorn cards and have way too many boxes of them taking up room upstairs... 

Need to jump over to the eBay thread.

I had a collection dating from the late 1950's through about 1974, give or take.  It seemed like I had a bazillion of them as my dad owning a grocery store I pilfered the new arrivals with no conscious.   That and all of the sales and delivery folks that called on the store knew I loved all of the cards and would often give me "good" cards from their collections on birthdays and special occasions etc.  I know when I left home to go to college (SWT) in '76 I had about 40-50 shoe boxes full of them in my closet.   Fast forward a decade or so and I discovered my step son had gotten into card collecting.  "Dad, this one's worth $x, and this one is worth $xx dollars".   I immediately remembered my huge collection at home, and couldn't wait until the next time I visited my mother.  A month or so passes and we go to visit and almost immediately go check the closet.   Nothing, nada, zilch, all the Mickey Mantles, Ted Williams, Sandy Koufax's nothing all gone.

I asked my mom where they were, (she never threw anything away) and she replied, "oh, I threw those things away years ago".   Fortunately matricide is illegal in Texas.

• Rage+1 1

• 1 year later...

It makes me sick thinking about it but that fucking Darren Rovell tweets a new auction record it seems like everyday to remind me but I HAD 3 of these.

Michael-Jordan-rookie.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Sophomore in high school I would buy a pack of these twice a week or so.  Was more into baseball cards but these came out and since I was playing basketball thought it would be cool to have.  Probably ended up with 3 or 4 complete sets.  After he retired and I was a few years out of college with not much money to speak of I figured they were reaching peak value.  Sold all three for $500/piece.  Pretty good return for maybe a $50 investment .  They are now routinely going for $200k, $300k, $400k in auctions.  Of course those prices are for grades of 10 but I no doubt had at least 8's.  I had them in sleeves at least a year or two after purchase and then put into screw down cases once they started getting valuable.  Still got all the rest of the cards though 😂  if anyone wants an Hakeem,  Barkley or Bird.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/michael-jordan-rookie-trading-card-sells-for-a-record-420-000-01598903722

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Zwylde said:

It makes me sick thinking about it but that fucking Darren Rovell tweets a new auction record it seems like everyday to remind me but I HAD 3 of these.

Sophomore in high school I would buy a pack of these twice a week or so.  Was more into baseball cards but these came out and since I was playing basketball thought it would be cool to have.  Probably ended up with 3 or 4 complete sets.  After he retired and I was a few years out of college with not much money to speak of I figured they were reaching peak value.  Sold all three for $500/piece.  Pretty good return for maybe a $50 investment .  They are now routinely going for $200k, $300k, $400k in auctions.  Of course those prices are for grades of 10 but I no doubt had at least 8's.  I had them in sleeves at least a year or two after purchase and then put into screw down cases once they started getting valuable.  Still got all the rest of the cards though 😂  if anyone wants an Hakeem,  Barkley or Bird.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/michael-jordan-rookie-trading-card-sells-for-a-record-420-000-01598903722

At one point in time in high school I probably had 50 of them.  I left college with none of them. 🥲🥲🥲

3 hours ago, Zwylde said:

I had one of the Jordan rookie cards and sold it for $500 in high school. I thought I made a fortune.

Also, I still occasionally look at the Jordan rookie sticker that I stuck to the shoe box that held my cards.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, Zwylde said:

I did not start collecting basketball until 88-89 so I have several Jordan's from then but not the '86. I've been looking at eBay though and on the hunt. I'd be interested in the Barkley and Hakeem's cards. Let me know.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:37 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

Yep. Fortunately, i didn't invest that much in it, so no big loss. I even worked in a card shop for a while in the early 90s, during the peak, so i got good deals on the stuff I had, but i was mostly a football guy. i would trade new error cards and hot ticket cards for older 60s football cards. Sets from the late 80s on were so massively overprinted I already had a good idea they would be worthless.

I still have a few boxes of stuff that is worth practically nothing. I recently had my shed broken into where I had some unopened boxes of football card packs from 89, 90-ish. The assholes that broke in opened up most of the packs right there, threw the wrappers everywhere. Shit had been in their original boxes and packs for 30 years and some shitheads busted them all open, which really pissed me off. But they were probably worth less today than the day I paid for them. It still pisses me off, because people suck.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

Was a huge collector in the 90s as a kid, got out of it but now the pandemic has made me figure something out to waste my money on since I can't travel/go to sporting events etc.  So I am back in the game.  Have pulled some pretty sweet shit recently.  

Also ended up looking through my old cards and have about 4 Kobe topps rookies that go for 1K graded as a 9 and recently 5K when graded as 10 Gem Mint.  I also have 1 topps chrome rookie of him that I have seen going for over 5K for 9 grade.  

I just got to get mine graded, but that seems like a huge pain in the ass at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Was a huge collector in the 90s as a kid, got out of it but now the pandemic has made me figure something out to waste my money on since I can't travel/go to sporting events etc.  So I am back in the game.  Have pulled some pretty sweet shit recently.  

Also ended up looking through my old cards and have about 4 Kobe topps rookies that go for 1K graded as a 9 and recently 5K when graded as 10 Gem Mint.  I also have 1 topps chrome rookie of him that I have seen going for over 5K for 9 grade.  

I just got to get mine graded, but that seems like a huge pain in the ass at the moment. 

Regarding grading I do think it's a big pain and a huge wait right now. Pretty expensive as well if you do it yourself. Unless you are sure you can pull a 8 or 9+ it probably not worth the effort versus just keeping the card raw. Also, if you don't plan on selling them I'm not sure I would get them graded either.

Modern cards have become extremely expensive. I'm on the hunt for a Dirk rookie but the Luka rookies are really pricey? Come on.

I'm also looking for Clemens and Bonds rookie cards but might wait until they don't make the HOF end of this month to buy.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:12 PM, DougO said:

Yep. Fortunately, i didn't invest that much in it, so no big loss. I even worked in a card shop for a while in the early 90s, during the peak, so i got good deals on the stuff I had, but i was mostly a football guy. i would trade new error cards and hot ticket cards for older 60s football cards. Sets from the late 80s on were so massively overprinted I already had a good idea they would be worthless.

I still have a few boxes of stuff that is worth practically nothing. I recently had my shed broken into where I had some unopened boxes of football card packs from 89, 90-ish. The assholes that broke in opened up most of the packs right there, threw the wrappers everywhere. Shit had been in their original boxes and packs for 30 years and some shitheads busted them all open, which really pissed me off. But they were probably worth less today than the day I paid for them. It still pisses me off, because people suck.

Street value of the pieces of gum in those packs is pretty high today.

10 minutes ago, CBT said:

This UT Alum and former shagster is a great follow for collecting. He has some real good videos/stories/whatever where he talks about the industry. He has a pretty sick collection too.

https://www.instagram.com/pryantexas/?hl=en

I'll take a look. Gary Vee predicted a big rise in this a few years ago and is still adamant that the explosion will continue going forward.

The problem with collecting cards are the assholes who raid stores and buy all the inventory and sell the good cards for 1,000x their value. I'm in a few card groups on fb and it's ridiculous. It kills the hobby from mainly football, basketball, and baseball. It's why I got out of it. 

I used to collect topps variant rookies, and short print prestige cards, but now they've done away with them and it's all Prizm crap. Sucks. 

I had a couple shoeboxes of baseball cards from the late 80's/early 90's that I ended up getting rid a year or so ago. I may have had a few gems in there, but I don't think I had anything of significant value. After watching the Jack of all Trades doc last year, I learned a lot of baseball cards from that era were overproduced and not worth much.  Starting to think I should have held onto them now.

47 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I had a couple shoeboxes of baseball cards from the late 80's/early 90's that I ended up getting rid a year or so ago. I may have had a few gems in there, but I don't think I had anything of significant value. After watching the Jack of all Trades doc last year, I learned a lot of baseball cards from that era were overproduced and not worth much.  Starting to think I should have held onto them now.

No.  You made the right call.

20 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Thought I was getting a great price on my PSA 9 Jordan for $10 or $11k last year. Clearly should have held. Can’t see it holding up as there are plenty of those out there.

I think Jordan's do come down eventually but there will always be demand for the best player of all time. Basketball card in general are red hot. Thought I'd buy a Luka for fun a few months ago and they are through the roof.

Just stumbled on this thread.

The MJ rookie card stings.  Had a chance to buy it or a Joe Montana RC... who knew.  Still have the Montana RC.  

Any of y'all buy or sell?  I have some RCs like Jerry Rice, Earl Campbell... 84 Topps with Marino, Dickerson, Elway RCs, 89 Score with Barry Sanders, Aikman RCs

First year of Hoops smattering of other brands and odd collections

First Beckett for Basketball with MJ on the cover.

I always hear about E-bay as the way to go as far as selling.  Seems like shops only care about flavor of the month type stuff.

BTW...used to have an decent collection of baseball cards but my ex tossed them in the bottom of a storage room which was eventually flooded.  Brett and Yount RCs that I bought as a kid were in there.

I’ve been combing through my collection and started buying a few things that I always wanted but didn’t have. Also starting to look for things I think will go up in value.

EBay is the right answer I think. The shops like you said have mostly modern stuff with everyone wanting basketball prizm stuff. They have older cards but it seems overpriced.

The one thing I wanted to do was get to a card show. Dallas has some really big ones and many times with have people there signing cards which is one thing I started getting into. (signed rookie cards)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ebay is right for transaction protection, but there are facebook groups and instagram that allows you to bypass fees etc.  You can also find better deals there as well typically.  Most people aren't scammers, but like everything you can run into some.  

On 1/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, Zwylde said:

And two more Jordan 10s just sold for $765K each this past weekend

Edited by ZB'Tejas

Have a few shoeboxes myself, and another few handfuls in the hard plastic protectors that are my "good" cards. I was a 90s kid and collected a bunch with friends until they got bored of it around high school. Spent a few years on internet message boards doing the mail thing, then college came and Austin was cooler than cards. 

So many years and retail packs and really the only ones I really care about these days are my 8-12 Tim Duncan rookies. I bought another off eBay for $30 a couple months ago (thanks stimmy!) to satisfy that itch of opening a pack I get every couple years. But yeah it's so different now, I want to get a box because I never had the money to get a good box as a kid, but the 40 different variations of Prisms now are a complete turnoff. 

I do regret a few I traded away, Kobe rc, Peyton Manning rc, Randy Moss rc, etc., but the Timmy's were always untouchable.