Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

First of all, Cav Scouts prefer to be addressed as MR. Weird, if you don't mind, you lice-ridden Red Leg concussed to the point of addled perversion.

That said, I like reading your views and those of the other actual prior service, finding bits of insight amidst all the ravings of the bunny-hopping video gamers.

I agree that 190,000 is a tiny amount compared to earlier wars. I believe the Germans invaded France and the Low Countries with millions of men, on a comparatively tiny front. Putin's tanks and paratroops can probably pull off a smash-and-grab, but no way do the gopniks in the motor rifles have the numbers to pull off an occupation. I bet their units are way understrength in personnel. They'll be busy trying to protect the running tanks, the broken-down tanks, and the clunky supply tail following all the combat units. If this stretches out I foresee lots of unsupplied hungry Russians getting ready to leave the band due to creative differences.

As a former Scout, seconded all the way around. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This is what I’m holding out for

I've never sniffed combat so I'm not even going to pretend I know shit about shit. But it can't be easy killing people. It's one thing to shoot shells or drop bombs, but going door to door and killing people that look a lot like you and sound a lot like you and you don't even know why you're doing it?   I don't know man. That takes a special kind of depravity. 

I think ol vlad might have overestimated the mother Russia kgb  bullshit he was brought up in. I hope that's the case. 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think a lot of what you posted is true…of men.

I’d argue we wouldn’t see nearly as much bloodshed if women were in charge. 

A woman definitely knows how to push someone's button, but the timing is likely to be really shitty.

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Fuck that noise. I raised a daughter through teenagery. Chicks are way more ruthless than dudes. 

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yeah, because they would have gotten lost and wound up in Lativa on the way. But somehow it would be their husband's fault.

Edited by Jameslaw121
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, pops said:

I've never sniffed combat so I'm not even going to pretend I know shit about shit. But it can't be easy killing people. It's one thing to shoot shells or drop bombs, but going door to door and killing people that look a lot like you and sound a lot like you and you don't even know why you're doing it?   I don't know man. That takes a special kind of depravity. 

I think ol vlad might have overestimated the mother Russia kgb  bullshit he was brought up in. I hope that's the case. 

That's why this war is so shocking to many.  They share your culture, language, look like you.  It's not like going to the middle east and saying ha these savages don't know any better.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Cruise missile are expensive is all I can think of why he isn't using them.  I thought it was going to be a lot of Donbas and the shelling with artillery would happen.  That failed capture of the airport I think put a big reason on why it hasn't been tougher.   28 aircraft carries a lot of people and equipment.  I also think part of their strategy was to capture Ukrainian stuff and use it against them.  Then their helicopters were rendered ineffective.  Either the Russian army is way over rated or they are putting on a fucking show.  

CNN retired general kinda mailed in the answer on Ukrainian defenses - just black and white - Russian forces are overwhelming Ukraine. Again I don’t see a victory here but day 1 is more than a little embarrassing for Putin for anyone watching closely.  Like OU up 7-3 at halftime to Tulsa or something. 

• Haha 1

I thought the conventional wisdom was that you need a 2-3x numerical advantage to overtake an entrenched defending enemy. 190k troops to overrun a country of 45 million seems low, no? And as others have said, the Ukrainians almost certainly have a huge advantage in motivation. Russia most likely prevails eventually, but there’s no way the plan was to fumble around and get your air assets and armor destroyed for the first 24 hours, THEN unleash the real assault.

• Hook 'Em 1

War is expensive I’m curious about the intersection of Russian finances and the sanctions. If he’s fighting this on a budget he’s got a dynamic to consider that really doesn’t belong in a war started by a “super power” and watching this in comparison to Desert Storm and other US campaigns is kinda of shocking. The US can print money the Russians not so much. That may be the biggest distinction. 

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I thought the conventional wisdom was that you need a 2-3x numerical advantage to overtake an entrenched defending enemy. 190k troops to overrun a country of 45 million seems low, no? And as others have said, the Ukrainians almost certainly have a huge advantage in motivation. Russia most likely prevails eventually, but there’s no way the plan was to fumble around and get your air assets and armor destroyed for the first 24 hours, THEN unleash the real assault.

Unless you’re Vladimir Putin and you enjoy psychological games. That’s the only reasonable explanation for holding back. 

Or they’ve gone full retard…

This is kind of normal for wars breaking out, but info seems to be all over the place and to a degree conflicting.  Despite the apparent success reported here in many posts by the Ukrainians on holding off Russia (or more appropriately, sticking it to them), along with stories of military hardware turning into scrap, most of the major reporting isn't really reflecting this.  And in fact, I'm hearing now that most military strategists are expecting Kiev to fall within 2-3 days max.  One credible report just released has Zelenskyy now moved to a secure bunker in anticipation of the Russians taking the city, and other reports say that they're well on their way to Kyiv now.  Or is the strategy to take Kyiv and all the other shit is just theater?  I don't know.

But whatever it is, it seems like the group media is still far more fatalistic than these individual social media tweets and posts.

I think it's inevitable that Kyiv is taken; after that it's all a total dice roll.

38 minutes ago, pops said:

Maybe Russia doesn't have nearly the assets we thought,  and more importantly,  maybe the rank and file Russian soldier doesn't give a fuck about putin or Ukraine. I mean most probably didn't grow up under soviet rule but their parents did and they have to be like what the fuck are we even doing. 

Putin shouldn’t starts 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, F250 said:

I was just making fun of the use of multiple paragraphs to say humans are tribal. He tends to meander around the obvious when discussing his observations about human nature.

Oh, that makes sense, and is completely fair. I’m terrible about meandering and not knowing when to stop hammering a nail. It’s not going to change, but i understand anyone who wants to be critical. Thank you for the clarification. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

This is kind of normal for wars breaking out, but info seems to be all over the place and to a degree conflicting.  Despite the apparent success reported here in many posts by the Ukrainians on holding off Russia (or more appropriately, sticking it to them), along with stories of military hardware turning into scrap, most of the major reporting isn't really reflecting this.  And in fact, I'm hearing now that most military strategists are expecting Kiev to fall within 2-3 days max.  One credible report just released has Zelenskyy now moved to a secure bunker in anticipation of the Russians taking the city, and other reports say that they're well on their way to Kyiv now.  Or is the strategy to take Kyiv and all the other shit is just theater?  I don't know.

But whatever it is, it seems like the group media is still far more fatalistic than these individual social media tweets and posts.

I think it's inevitable that Kyiv is taken; after that it's all a total dice roll.

I mean think if you invaded California with 30% more people and they all were off the same mindset of those that live in like Victorville or Palmdale or the salton sea. And you only brought 190k to a gunfight. You might blow some shit up but good luck holding it. 

Edited by pops

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I don’t think these things are untrue, there are still some really bizarre things going on for what should be an even greater mismatch. Russian forces have suffered far more than they should have if they could have or would have had a real shock and awe campaign. Either they are not what we thought they were or something else. But no one is suggesting Russia won’t win soon. 

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, I want to believe. 

I do know we’re not seeing anything resembling US capabilities, and it’s not like Russia sent in the B team. This is Putin’s best effort, and regardless of the eventual victory, from what we’ve seen, it’s been underwhelming. 

However. I do know Russian special forces are the best trained, geared, motivated soldiers in the army, and he allegedly has close to 30k of them in the theater. Perhaps they’ve made a difference in ways in forward operations we’re simply unaware of? 

I don’t know. You bring up an excellent point, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Anonymous is just a plant by our Intelligence Community correct?

An independent group just declared cyber war on a nation.  Just want to say that this feels like an expressed turning point in that realm, which is a big deal for all of us.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй