Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I would imagine that the Ukrainian Army has quite a store of RPG 7s.  Everyone else in the world seems to.  And if not, I bet the Russians have left some on some of those trucks they've lost, if they weren't torched.

And I would have to think that the insurgency training we have been giving would include training and supply of these type weapons.  Not as glamorous as a Javelin.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Stephen F. Austin "recruited" Germans to colonize Texas. Gave them a section of land if they came with a baby-making spouse.  They were hard working and resourseful. My belief is they made peace w/ the Comanche's because of those traits, and they knew how to brew beer.  Been to Kerrville, Fredricksburg, New Braunfels, Castroville, etc.?

Yep, that led to 3 major waves of Germans to Texas over the next 100 years

• Hook 'Em 1

Twitter is eerily quiet on updates on Ukraine. Usually morning (Ukraine time) is when shit starts ramping up. Nothing this morning.

It's harder to sift through the bullshit. Everyone is scamming for bitcoins in the name of Ukraine. US assholes are trying to blame Biden or Trump. Everyone has an update video asking you to watch. The rest of the world is blaming US for something. The Palestinians are all bitching that they get no love. Social media is the absolute best and worst in humanity.

I'm logging off for the day.

Very concerned no updates or news from Zelensky. Hoping he made it through the night. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, to keep on target with your post, not EVERYONE seems to think he's awful.

it was definitely a deal with the devil and they knew it. They just saw trump as worse and while their needs were very pressing, they also wanted to give a little ‘fuck you’ to the US IMO.

Being petty is also something the Germans know how to do well.

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 1

I don’t understand the thermobaric weapon freak out. Which news station is pushing this? We use thermobaric weapons too. The TOS-1 is just a suped up MLRS designed to bunker bust and clear trenches more effectively. As it defeats otherwise hardened targets by oxygen depletion. Russia tested one that was damn near nuke powerful but that isn’t a TOS-1. I don’t get it. It isn’t any more scary than many Russian weapons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Twitter is eerily quiet on updates on Ukraine. Usually morning (Ukraine time) is when shit starts ramping up. Nothing this morning.

It's harder to sift through the bullshit. Everyone is scamming for bitcoins in the name of Ukraine. US assholes are trying to blame Biden or Trump. Everyone has an update video asking you to watch. The rest of the world is blaming US for something. The Palestinians are all bitching that they get no love. Social media is the absolute best and worst in humanity.

I'm logging off for the day.

Very concerned no updates or news from Zelensky. Hoping he made it through the night. 

I was seeing the same, awfully quiet across the board. Hope Zelensky is ok.

1 minute ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

I don’t understand the thermobaric weapon freak out. Which news station is pushing this? We use thermobaric weapons too. The TOS-1 is just a suped up MLRS designed to bunker bust and clear trenches more effectively. As it defeats otherwise hardened targets by oxygen depletion. Russia tested one that was damn near nuke powerful but that isn’t a TOS-1. I don’t get it. It isn’t any more scary than many Russian weapons. 

Well, it doesn't have any real battlefield uses in Ukraine other than terrorizing population centers. That's the concern. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

Part of the fear is that it will be used against civilians in the streets (say Kyiv).

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

They are very indiscriminate.  If used on an urban area with civilians, that's pretty much a war crime.

Sure, similar destruction can be accomplished with more conventional artillery, but those are pretty hideous.

All of ours are guided bombs, like the bunker buster, deployed only on military targets.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

They function in the same manner as our "MOAB" FAE bomb.  We used them on the cave openings in Tora Bora, and used something similar to clear landing zones late in Viet Nam.  They function differently, but they are basically another weapon.  The horrible aspect of these is the ability to put a lot of them on target quickly.  How long does it take to reload?  How many reloads per unit do they have?  Also, they look like grapes to me.  It looks like rifle, machine gun, and mortar fire can all render the launch boxes inoperable.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, dcar00 said:

I'd give a lot of money to see the Russian commander in the field with his geeky underling next to him with his iPhone 13.

"uh sir, Senator Rubio just tweeted that we need to think about that last order"

"what?"

"here, I'll text it to you, sir"

You just summed up this war perfectly

I can't remember if it was this thread or Twitter that recommended the Netflix Doc "Winter on Fire" about 2014 Ukrain Maidan Square Protests.  I semi-followed that at the time  but certainly not that in depth. It foreshadows everything about the resolve of the Ukranian people we're seeing now.  A great "prequel" to this.  Highly recommended.  Makes me root for them even harder.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some good analysis going on

Really what kind of bullshit story can Putin craft that he could sell to his peeps to make a war palpable? Saving Russians in the Donbas might have been it but going for a full regime change by sacking full cities was just going to be ugly, even with the filtered state propaganda. Even that would take some time to pitch and build up. It's pretty obvious now that Putin seriously miscalculated so many things and really boils down to his hubris. So many sloppy steps in the buildup and execution so far.

28 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Well, it doesn't have any real battlefield uses in Ukraine other than terrorizing population centers. That's the concern. 

I hear you, but I’m simply addressing it as some line in the sand or super weapon. I think using any artillery piece indiscriminately against a densely populated area wrong. Which I’m sure we all do. I just don’t get the comparison to nukes. It’s not even close. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, dimyh said:

Really what kind of bullshit story can Putin craft that he could sell to his peeps to make a war palpable? Saving Russians in the Donbas might have been it but going for a full regime change by sacking full cities was just going to be ugly, even with the filtered state propaganda. Even that would take some time to pitch and build up. It's pretty obvious now that Putin seriously miscalculated so many things and really boils down to his hubris. So many sloppy steps in the buildup and execution so far.

The more units he brings in from other parts of Russia, as well as reservists he calls up, and the longer this drags on, the more the Russian public will realize what's going on (many probably do, they can probably get around the government blocking social media just as the Chinese are able to do).

But they won't be able to ignore the high-profile things like the Formula 1 stuff, the soccer stuff, etc. being canceled.

And I'd imagine they will panic if they realize what's happening with their banking systems and their economy once word of the sanctions gets out.  I don't know how the Russian stock market works, but I'd assume the analysts/traders have a keen sense of how things are going, and it would be hard to hide the stock market bouncing around.

4 minutes ago, dimyh said:

thats why he needed the false flag operation.  the world communicates real time now so when everyone knows it was bullshit FF, the old playbook doesn't work.

He's running I formation and everyone else is running spread.  It may still work but it's gonna be 3 yards and a cloud of dust(hopefully).  we are still very early but Desert Storm and Shock and Awe have kind of changed how people think "war" works.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And I'd imagine they will panic if they realize what's happening with their banking systems and their economy once word of the sanctions gets out.  I don't know how the Russian stock market works, but I'd assume the analysts/traders have a keen sense of how things are going, and it would be hard to hide the stock market bouncing around.

Monday may be a bloodbath in the markets if these sanctions (and in particular SWIFT) really have teeth.  Particularly in Russia but really everywhere.  

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

They are very indiscriminate.  If used on an urban area with civilians, that's pretty much a war crime.

Sure, similar destruction can be accomplished with more conventional artillery, but those are pretty hideous.

All of ours are guided bombs, like the bunker buster, deployed only on military targets.

Correct, but the MLRS stuff Russia has been using already is the same bad news for civilians. I guess this is kinda too war nerdy to waste this much energy on, but I think Russia PR for their gear is showing to be just that, PR. Even that huge thermobaric bomb they have is just a tiny dick response to the MOAB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thats crazy if Kharkiv hasn't fallen.  its right on the border.  maybe they are leaving some units behind to shell it to keep terrorizing the populace while moving on to Kiev?

2 million people in the metro area.  There's no way the Russians have the manpower to go street-to-street and clear the place, not with so many troops around Kyiv.

If the Russian generals have truly gotten orders that Kyiv must fall by Monday, I'd imagine they are gathering troops, airpower, artillery, reserves, etc., and are going to try an actual combined arms/coordinated all-out assault.  And since they don't have the manpower to take and hold every little street or block, they will probably bomb/shell the shit out of Kyiv to a level we have not seen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

I hear you, but I’m simply addressing it as some line in the sand or super weapon. I think using any artillery piece indiscriminately against a densely populated area wrong. Which I’m sure we all do. I just don’t get the comparison to nukes. It’s not even close. 

yes as related to a thermonuclear weapon.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thats why he needed the false flag operation.  the world communicates real time now so when everyone knows it was bullshit FF, the old playbook doesn't work.

He's running I formation and everyone else is running spread.  It may still work but it's gonna be 3 yards and a cloud of dust(hopefully).  we are still very early but Desert Storm and Shock and Awe have kind of changed how people think "war" works.

Plus you have Rubio and others tweeting out the plays before he makes them.

Rubio putting out that call about Russian generals better think about what they are being asked to do got a helluva lot of notice.

27 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

They function in the same manner as our "MOAB" FAE bomb.  We used them on the cave openings in Tora Bora, and used something similar to clear landing zones late in Viet Nam.  They function differently, but they are basically another weapon.  The horrible aspect of these is the ability to put a lot of them on target quickly.  How long does it take to reload?  How many reloads per unit do they have?  Also, they look like grapes to me.  It looks like rifle, machine gun, and mortar fire can all render the launch boxes inoperable.

That’s why they are overrated IMO.  They take so long to break down and move, once they fire, a single American Excalibur round is going to finish its killing days in a war with us. If Ukraine is using counter fires radar they can end Russia stupid fear weapons effectiveness easily. As soon as that first rocket fires they should have coordinates and let er rip back at them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The more units he brings in from other parts of Russia, as well as reservists he calls up, and the longer this drags on, the more the Russian public will realize what's going on (many probably do, they can probably get around the government blocking social media just as the Chinese are able to do).

But they won't be able to ignore the high-profile things like the Formula 1 stuff, the soccer stuff, etc. being canceled.

https://fortune.com/2022/02/24/russia-stockmarket-crash/

The people have to know what's going on you would think. 33% drop on Thursday, ouch.

18 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I can't remember if it was this thread or Twitter that recommended the Netflix Doc "Winter on Fire" about 2014 Ukrain Maidan Square Protests.  I semi-followed that at the time  but certainly not that in depth. It foreshadows everything about the resolve of the Ukranian people we're seeing now.  A great "prequel" to this.  Highly recommended.  Makes me root for them even harder.

That thread "What's happening in Ukraine?" back in 2014 was legendary on TOS. Prior to then, I'd never given much thought to Ukraine, but you're certainly correct. The thread with all it's video clips, along with that documentary, really shows that Ukrainians have a metal mettle and is largely why I'm not surprised in the least with how they're holding up.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй