Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think modern textbooks at least mentioned a conflict with Russia would be imminent, and a nuclear attack on the USSR was marginally considered.  But I doubt that whole "almost was" scenario gets more than a paragraph.  I doubt they'll even teach much WWII in schools anymore since there was a lot of racial/ethnic undertones to the war that you have to discuss to understand why certain nations attacked other nations.  It was way more than just a land/resource grab.  But that kinda learning makes people nervous and upset now.  

I read a great book about how Russia just treated Ukrainian personnel in WWII as disposable because of a feeling of ethnic superiority.  And they were on the same team. Never mind how enemies felt superior racially to the people they were attacking  

I'm talking about the "wasn't Russia on our side?"  the basics of axis and allies and what happened might be, you know, good to know.  you can talk about the racial/ethnic undertone nuance(besides trying to exterminate the jewish people) in college courses.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Hope this true. Can anyone explain what this means operationally? What's the range? Can they target convoys? Does it lock down air superiority in Ukraine? Honestly I don't know much about air support and the various capabilities.

I am in the camp of uncertainty is bad bad news with regard to Russia.  They telegraph most military moves.  

Unlike their espionage and scientists, both of which are pretty top notch.  

I really do think something is wrong with Putin - something recent which has altered his world view even further.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Nothing about this is out of character. This has been building since 2007 and was tested in 2014. 

Believe me, I know. I started the thread on TOS and this thread. I've been hawkish on confronting Putin for over a decade. I'm saying this sloppiness and lack of preparation for international blowback is out of character. Something is very off with this and the Doomsday Clock is 11:58, probably.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Believe me, I know. I started the thread on TOS and this thread. I've been hawkish on confronting Putin for over a decade. I'm saying this sloppiness and lack of preparation for international blowback is out of character. Something is very off with this and the Doomsday Clock is 11:58, probably.

We really do need an assassination at this point. I’m starting to think it’s the only way to deescalate before escalating. I don’t think it’s CIA it needs to be Russia.  I get the fear of the unknown, I really do. This guy is going to nuke Ukraine. I’m quite concerned. I get it’s probably not going to be strategic weapons. But a tactical strike in the city center of 3-4 major Ukrainian cities?  If this guy really is unhinged it’s easily 50/50 at this point. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

I really do think something is wrong with Putin - something recent which has altered his world view even further.

When the Russians were suggesting Joe was suffering from Alzheimer’s last week, the “every accusation is a confession” principle definitely came to mind
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rip76 said:

It will be from the inside.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

We really do need an assassination at this point. I’m starting to think it’s the only way to deescalate before escalating. I don’t think it’s CIA it needs to be Russia. 

It'll be like when Tony wanted Phil gone.  Wars were bad for business and he cleared with the other family first and made it look like an accident.

I posted this in the do you think the US should get involved militarily thread, but I truly think when he feels cornered and sees no way out Putin will absolutely go nuclear.

I have a really cool job and I get to go to training exercises and collaborate on projects and events with a whole bunch of federal entities that are only known by acronyms and some that aren’t known at all. Ol’ Pooty had been on the radar for a long time as one of the more if not the most legitimate threat to this country from a nuclear and chemical agent standpoint. Dude has achieved a level of narcissism and arrogance that has never been seen before. He truly believes the shit he’s spewing and that makes him dangerous. Absolute delusion. He won’t go quietly. He won’t be exiled and he damn sure won’t be captured. He will attempt to go scorched earth once he sees no way out. I just hope he isn’t successful.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm talking about the "wasn't Russia on our side?"  the basics of axis and allies and what happened might be, you know, good to know.  you can talk about the racial/ethnic undertone nuance(besides trying to exterminate the jewish people) in college courses.

Oh, that basic?  Yeah, I would think they'd at least teach the Big 5 from the board game.  Our teacher got into Italy, Spain, Finland, Vichy French, China, et. al.  You can't cover every country but you can certainly cover the big ones and how everything shook out after the war across 4 major continents plus the Middle East.  They should obviously cover the Holocaust, but I think they should also go into black/hispanic contributions to U.S. Armed Forces, what happened to the citizens of North Africa during the campaign there, and the other elephant in the room-Japan's racial superiority complex about themselves as a people led by a living God meant to conquer the whole of the Pacific.  And of course the incompetence of the Italian military due to being led by Italians. 

Anyway, the cognitive dissonance at the start of this conflict by some was puzzling.  Russia can invade and take over huge parts of Ukraine because they're basically Russian anyway and want to be part of Russia?  But Russians have never looked at Ukrainians as their equals, and Ukraine has been separating themselves from Russia and embracing Europe/"The West" for decades at almost every opportunity.  So Russia's invasion then quickly gets pivoted as a peacekeeping mission to keep Ukrainian nationalists from attacking innocent civilians who just wanna break off and rejoin Russia?  Now it looks like a haphazard "test the water" maneuver by Russia.  This whole thing'll end up being just a misunderstood fraternity prank by the time Putin and his apologists are done with their mental gymnastics.  

tl;dr---don't be surprised when a nation of people you've been shitting on for 100 years (70 of those as part of our Soviet Republic) fight back after you tell the world they want to be part of your country again and you're just invading them because it's what they'd want.  Putin sounds like an abusive husband, "I only hit you because I love you."  They viewed Ukrainians as ethnically inferior to them.  Now that hate is coming back to haunt them.

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think modern textbooks at least mentioned a conflict with Russia would be imminent, and a nuclear attack on the USSR was marginally considered.  But I doubt that whole "almost was" scenario gets more than a paragraph.  I doubt they'll even teach much WWII in schools anymore since there was a lot of racial/ethnic undertones to the war that you have to discuss to understand why certain nations attacked other nations.  It was way more than just a land/resource grab.  But that kinda learning makes people nervous and upset now.  

I read a great book about how Russia just treated Ukrainian personnel in WWII as disposable because of a feeling of ethnic superiority.  And they were on the same team. Never mind how enemies felt superior racially to the people they were attacking  

What book was that? Because it was a heck of a lot more complicated than that. Even back then Ukraine was divided into Europe leaning Ukrainians who wanted independence and Russian speaking Ukrainians who leaned towards Moscow. Then you have the whole Nazi Vichy after the German invasion occupied Ukraine, and the violent purge when the Soviet Union took back over. 

Then there’s the significant Jewish population, and the Russians’ ambivalence towards Jews. Stalin collectivizing the peasant farmers, basically manufacturing widespread famine and death. Not to mention Stalin’s forced relocation of the Tartar population in Crimea to Siberia with a mass influx of Russians to take their land and homes. 

Shoot, there’s the whole war of “liberation” that has HUGE echoes to what’s going on right now, where the Bolsheviks defeated the Polish backed Ukrainians after Red October to ensure Ukraine’s inclusion in the USSR. This was a huge part of the education of every Soviet history, and by WWII would have been the equivalent in the past to what we think of with 9/11 in terms of passage of time. 

I just find the concept of Russians treating Ukrainian personnel in WWII as ethnically inferior as a vastly oversimplified version of the dynamics. I’m not saying it’s untrue in some cases, but there was a lot more going on. 

As far as racial/ethnic overtones, all war is tribal. From the beginnings of prehistoric man. Can’t get around it. We’re trying to teach one another to do away with racism when what we should be doing - if that’s really our goal - is to encourage interbreeding to the point where race is much more indistinguishable. People act as if America is this racist evil state when actually it’s a fucking unicorn. Compare how the US has handled its racism compared to Croatia/Serbia/Bosnia, or Rwanda, or Germany, or Japan, or China, or Lebanon, or anywhere else with a massive multi tribal presence. Sure there are a few who have done better, and there’s certainly been plenty of injustice and continues to be to this day, but when we stoop to vilifying one another things don’t go well. 

The good news is we don’t have to rely on what we’re taught in school for our only source of history. Especially in this day and age. The bad news is there are so many bad actors now pushing information with very narrow agendas, and a real lack of vigor from the general population in wanting to know more about where we came from and why we are the way we are, that we’re very easy manipulated into believing in histories which fit with our preconceived vision of the way the world is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй