Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

Off the top of my head, China can agree to integrate Russia's System for Transfer of Financial Messages with its own Cross-Border Interbank Payment System to facilitate easier payments to Russia, which will help to minimize the impact to some degree to the SWIFT sanctions. It can also exert massive amounts of pressure on countries across the Global South and Asia who depend on trade relations with Russia to use the system, as well. It would be de-dollarization on speed, of course, which China would need to manage in accordance with its own strategic goals.

It can aggressively utilize its unparalleled access to raw materials and manufacturing to eliminate some of the fallout of Russia being cut off from much of the world's technology markets. It can directly help Russia prop up the Ruble, as it has done in the past, as recently as 2014. It can lend in massive amounts. It can exert a ton of pressure on a variety of state actors to stay out of the sanctions game, which it has an enormous capacity to do. I can go on and on.

It doesn't mean they WILL do these things...but they can. And it again goes to the fine line that I originally discussed of allowing Russia to weaken as much as possible without killing the Golden Goose that can provide incredible amounts of raw materials and energy at an easy, discounted price.

My guess would be they will do these things as much as they feel like they can get away with. Which will be a lot. Is it because they’re scared of a pro western leadership coming to power in Russia? Or is it because those things serve their interest, especially in lieu of the fact they feel like the West is trying to hem them in, just like it’s done historically.

What you’re talking about feels like the direct result of the national sentiment that the West served China a historic humiliation, but they’re finally getting powerful enough they don’t have to put up with our shit any more. 

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

A Lieutenant with a map and a Private with an Idea, 2 most dangerous things the US Army has.

NCO (maybe an Lt) questioning his young troops (Privates)....."Anyone here an artist?"

Two young privates raise their hands quickly......

NCO- "Good! Take this gallon of paint and these brushes and go paint that curb."

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think there's a fair amount of wishcasting about the success of the Ukrainian defense.  They're battering the hell out of the Russians, but the Russians have too many horses - they're going to inflict some savage pain.

sure there is.  this thread has pretty much been all about hoping the script for Red Dawn can actually play out in real life.   my guess is everyone on this thread gives it about a 1% chance of happening.

I can't see puddy-tat only accepting taking the D and L areas.  he could get the whole thing but once he has Kiev, I believe he'll negotiate for half of it but with all the key areas his.   It sucks shit.  the only way out is the russian people.  we have to hope 30 years of relative freedom has done some good.

the rest of the world will have to make it fucking miserable for any russian, with any means, anywhere.  seems like we could see South America/Nazi redo.

31 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^ Morale still high.

Zelenskyy still has balls of steel v

Taking the fight to Russia v

Fuck Ya! Zelenskyy is the hero we don’t deserve but desperately need! Stay alive! Keep fighting Ukraine! I believe in my heart more help will be on the way! Stay strong! Hope the aid continues to roll in non-stop and full-stop! And fuck Putin and any country or group that supports him or what the atrocities that are being committed in Ukraine right now! 

Slava Ukraini!  🇺🇦 We need Zelenskyy to live and be safe. His bravery and leadership is what is galvanizing the support of the world! Stay safe!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

See the bolded points above.  When you have an opponent in an utterly defeated position, there are only two paths:

1 - Finish them off and kill them.  You ONLY do this with an opponent who you want to eliminate from existence (that is, you will NEVER need anything from them or any relationship with them ever again), AND who cannot do serious damage to you in their death throes.  I've been in the adversary business a LONG time, and I can tell you that sort of opponent is very, very rare.  And to be clear, Russia is not such an opponent.  They are a large country on our globe, interwoven into a global economy, with real human beings inside its borders.  We will have a relationship with them in the future.  And of course, they can destroy all human life on their way down, if they feel cornered enough.  So, this path seems....unwise.

2 - give them an off ramp that allows them to save face and declare SOME sort of victory.  Even if everyone knows it's bullshit, it's about the "claiming victory."  I will also note that this often happens, and can only happen, after regime change.  Again, I've had to advise clients that we will not reach a resolution of this case until we have battered our opponent so much that the people responsible for this shitshow are forced out, new folks come in to clean up the mess, and we give them a chance to take an offramp and claim some sort of victory.  That's not always the scenario, but it's not uncommon, either.

I think the big question here is "regime change in Russia or not."  I do think that regime change should absolutely be our goal here.  But I don't know if we can really achieve it.  And a weakened Putin remaining in power may be more dangerous than the current iteration of Putin remaining in power.

That's the most dangerous pivot point here -- regime change or not.  But either way, the only sane path is option 2.

Smart play.  If you want to cement your role as one of the two polar "superpowers," exerting control over the former superpower is a quick way to get there.  A marginalized Russia equals an ascendant China in a seat of global power.

I totally agree with you about giving Putin a way out that lets him feel secure at home.  There is no outcome at this point that does not leave him severely weakened outside of Russia.  If this ended today with no regime change in Russia, Putin's ambitions to re-establish the USSR/iron curtain have still been set back probably forever.  For Putin to reattempt this against another country in eastern Europe with some hope of success, Russia would need to reform, rebuild and modernize their entire military so as to exceed what would have been needed to be successful in the Ukraine, because now all of Europe is on to him.  He would need to do that with very little to no external assistance with pretty much the whole world against him.  If that is even possible, it is going to take more years than Putin has left.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I can't see puddy-tat only accepting taking the D and L areas.  he could get the whole thing but once he has Kiev, I believe he'll negotiate for half of it but with all the key areas his.   It sucks shit.  the only way out is the russian people.  we have to hope 30 years of relative freedom has done some good.

the rest of the world will have to make it fucking miserable for any russian, with any means, anywhere.  seems like we could see South America/Nazi redo.

The world will not accept a Ukraine that is half Russian, with all key areas Putin's.  It won't.  If that's Putin's line in the sand, then his forces are going to continue to bleed from an insurgency with some pretty effective fucking weapons.

And yes, the sanctions and ostracism will only get worse, not better, in that situation.

The Russian people are going to be isolated, frustrated, angry, and soon enough, hungry.  Putin's situation is unsustainable right now.  He MIGHT be able to negotiate for a solution that lets Russia keep Crimea, and allows for some sort of special autonomy and "protection" for Russian speakers in eastern Ukraine.  But I don't think he'd be satisfied with that, so I don't see an off ramp here.

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

For the love of Christ woman,  stop posting the same fucking thing every 20 mins just to make your neurotic self feel better.    

Bring something useful to the thread other than your inane babbling of your love for a person and a country you never fucking heard of 8 days ago.

Most of us want to see Russia on its ass, but we dont need a god damned cheerleader screaming the same shit over and over.

Just be careful kicking that hornet nest.  Don’t want to read about more box pounding.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

For the love of Christ woman,  stop posting the same fucking thing every 20 mins just to make your neurotic self feel better.    

Bring something useful to the thread other than your inane babbling of your love for a person and a country you never fucking heard of 8 days ago.

Most of us want to see Russia on its ass, but we dont need a god damned cheerleader screaming the same shit over and over.

Putin Lover!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

What puzzles me is: this column is restricted to this road as most of the vehicles would get stuck trying to go off road.  Can't the Ukranians blow massive craters in the road ahead of them to stop/slow the advance?

Apparently they aren't moving already so sugar in fuel tanks is cheap and easy.

43 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We'll just put you in a ring with a few big dogs and a chimp and watch you fight your way out of it, William Badass  

Easy.  I'll let the chimp fight the dogs first.  Then I beat that 100 lb exhausted chimp with a severed dog's leg.   Bitch can't even throw a punch.  That monkey's paw is going to be shoved in its billowy ass.    At the zoo, a gorilla backhanded the glass at me, and I punched the glass and stared at it.  Bitch sat down and tried to cuddle with me.   I sat next to it.  We had an understanding.  They are dumb.

But seriously, I think after the war is over,  we should send some BAMF wallets to some Ukrainians. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The world will not accept a Ukraine that is half Russian, with all key areas Putin's.  It won't.  If that's Putin's line in the sand, then his forces are going to continue to bleed from an insurgency with some pretty effective fucking weapons.

And yes, the sanctions and ostracism will only get worse, not better, in that situation.

The Russian people are going to be isolated, frustrated, angry, and soon enough, hungry.  Putin's situation is unsustainable right now.  He MIGHT be able to negotiate for a solution that lets Russia keep Crimea, and allows for some sort of special autonomy and "protection" for Russian speakers in eastern Ukraine.  But I don't think he'd be satisfied with that, so I don't see an off ramp here.

yes I know you don't see an off ramp.

5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

here we go batman GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

My guess would be they will do these things as much as they feel like they can get away with. Which will be a lot. Is it because they’re scared of a pro western leadership coming to power in Russia? Or is it because those things serve their interest, especially in lieu of the fact they feel like the West is trying to hem them in, just like it’s done historically.

What you’re talking about feels like the direct result of the national sentiment that the West served China a historic humiliation, but they’re finally getting powerful enough they don’t have to put up with our shit any more. 

They are afraid of losing their money.   That’s all the control they have.   Oligarch/=Oligarch without money.  They’ve been stealing for too long.  I say we take their shit, pass legalization in the US, and then we actually have an even fight.  

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The Russian people are going to be isolated, frustrated, angry, and soon enough, hungry.  Putin's situation is unsustainable right now.  He MIGHT be able to negotiate for a solution that lets Russia keep Crimea, and allows for some sort of special autonomy and "protection" for Russian speakers in eastern Ukraine.  

Agreed - that's a face-saving solution that Putin should be considering, but he doesn't seem to be interested in it yet. Also, he'd have to give up something in return to Ukraine and he doesn't seem to think that he should owe them anything. He's really backed into a corner and someone needs to help find a way out.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just a reminder, Zelensky is one of those Russian speakers. He won 73% of the popular vote in the presidential election in part because he was the overwhelming favorite among Russian speakers. 

Almost all of Poroshenko’s votes came from the Ukrainian speakers. Poroshenko was the hardliner against Russia. Zelensky was the one who felt like Russia could successfully be engaged. 

Once again, not arguing with you. It’s just so interesting to me given Ukraine’s past since independence in 1993. In the constant flip flop of power among the eastern and western parts of the country, with its contrasting leanings regarding Europe versus Russia, Zelensky is the inheritor of the Russian speaking base who appealed to enough Ukrainian speakers to win. It just further undermines Putin’s alleged objectives in this war.