Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don’t think the US really has any dedicated Wild Weasel aircraft since the last F-4Gs were retired in the mid 90s.  The avionics on the later generation fighters is advanced enough to do the same role with a HARM targeting pod.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

We use F-16s for those missions now: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Weasel

Viper Pilot by Dan Hampton is a fantastic read about life as a Wild Weasel during the gulf war and Iraq wars in the Viper.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Did anyone else think describing the Russian forces as "unsuspecting" was kind of a weird caption?

Like, if you're invading a country, maybe be more suspecting?

I think it's more about that convoy was not acting like they were driving through hostile territory, and they did not respond in a coordinated manner to the ambush.  Caught off guard and acted like it.

Granted, the Russians appear to be operating in a lot of areas that provide cover/concealment to Ukrainian ant-tank crews, and so they can't keep dismounting infantry to clear areas of possible ambushes.

But that particularl engagement, the tank should not have used their main gun - they should have had their co-axial going (assuming they have one) and somebody should have been on the machine gun on top laying down suppressing fire.  There were multiple infantry that climbed out of one or more of the APCs, and instead of getting into cover nearest the Ukrainians, they fucking ran across a lot of open ground/roadway.  If the Ukrainians had a larger element there, they would have mowed those guys down, and gotten off more missiles into the vehicles.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think it's more about that convoy was not acting like they were driving through hostile territory, and they did not respond in a coordinated manner to the ambush.  Caught off guard and acted like it.

Granted, the Russians appear to be operating in a lot of areas that provide cover/concealment to Ukrainian ant-tank crews, and so they can't keep dismounting infantry to clear areas of possible ambushes.

But that particularl engagement, the tank should not have used their main gun - they should have had their co-axial going (assuming they have one) and somebody should have been on the machine gun on top laying down suppressing fire.  There were multiple infantry that climbed out of one or more of the APCs, and instead of getting into cover nearest the Ukrainians, they fucking ran across a lot of open ground/roadway.  If the Ukrainians had a larger element there, they would have mowed those guys down, and gotten off more missiles into the vehicles.

I am not a military strategist, nor do I have any experience of this sort of stuff.  I've been wondering if the Ukrainians have been using small teams for ambushes.  It makes sense to me that you would, small force, can move quickly, and is well armed given the weaponry.  Plus wouldn't that make them hard as hell to spot?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I am not a military strategist, nor do I have any experience of this sort of stuff.  I've been wondering if the Ukrainians have been using small teams for ambushes.  It makes sense to me that you would, small force, can move quickly, and is well armed given the weaponry.  Plus wouldn't that make them hard as hell to spot?

That’s exactly what they are doing.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

hunter / killer groups. Now with full blown night optics 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Swamp fox,  baby. This is England relying on outdated strategies while a small nimble force wrecks havoc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Former Russian Spy Aliia Roza Turns on Vladimir Putin Over Ukraine 

http://Former Russian Spy Aliia Roza Turns on Vladimir Putin Over Ukraine

well, aright then.  She’s pretty hot. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2022/03/11/former-russian-spy-aliia-roza-turns-vladimir-putin-ukraine-war/

lemme help you there

• Hook 'Em 2

I honestly don’t know why we are fighting each other at this point. Solidarity should be with Ukraine and the people who support Ukraine on this thread. It really does bother me that past posts or whatever cloud up a badass thread @Eastwood started almost 4 years ago. I wish there was a happy medium between the CR and the DT. I am guilty of starting shit down there myself. They didn’t deserve that. This thread doesn’t need our petty shit. 

figure it out…also stop attacking posters in this thread a lot of people read it and it makes us look like dipshits. There are a lot of people that are going to fall short of victory in this whole deal. Mainly political people. It’s what happens and it should be expected. 

I’ve mentioned my part Jewish heritage before and I am emotional invested in all of this having said that…this is pretty fucking cool:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I honestly don’t know why we are fighting each other at this point. Solidarity should be with Ukraine and the people who support Ukraine on this thread. It really does bother me that past posts or whatever cloud up a badass thread @Eastwood started almost 4 years ago. I wish there was a happy medium between the CR and the DT. I am guilty of starting shit down there myself. They didn’t deserve that. This thread doesn’t need our petty shit. 

figure it out…also stop attacking posters in this thread a lot of people read it and it makes us look like dipshits. There are a lot of people that are going to fall short of victory in this whole deal. Mainly political people. It’s what happens and it should be expected. 

I’ve mentioned my part Jewish heritage before and I am emotional invested in all of this having said that…this is pretty fucking cool:

I hear the guy from Costa Concordia is looking for a gig.  

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’ve mentioned my part Jewish heritage before and I am emotional invested in all of this has said that…this is pretty fucking cool:

Among the controversies made public these last several days regarding Abramovich was how he was able to obtain Portuguese, and thus, EU citizenship. He did so under a Portuguese law that I've looked into myself that grants citizenship rights to people of a certain descent. But it's almost impossible to obtain due to the significant ancestry record requirements and the supposed requirement of a strong tie to continued jewish religious practices.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Among the controversies made public these last several days regarding Abramovich was how he was able to obtain Portuguese, and thus, EU citizenship. He did so under a Portuguese law that I've looked into myself that grants citizenship rights to people of a certain descent. But it's almost impossible to obtain due to the significant ancestry record requirements and the supposed requirement of a strong tie to continued jewish religious practices.

Pretty interesting, I actually looked into buying property in the Azores about two years ago for reasons we won't get into, but my understanding was that in order to gain Portuguese citizenship I would need only pay 250k (for my wife and myself).  This is surprising to me based on that.  

• Hook 'Em 2

These are 2 really great threads - Laura's and Julia's.

Kotkin is a/the leading historian on Russia and holds a chair at Princeton. Here's an excerpt from the New Yorker article to read if you don't feel like clicking through, part of what Kotkin says about how Russian leadership works.

FNnyYFIX0AQTwRc?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I feel like Poland is about to step up to the plate and hit a home run. It’s not that they haven’t already given pretty much everything. 

I have no doubt that Zalensky has great speech writers for him that help him cite good quotes to each parliament or congress he speaks to, but I also think the guy has a very sharp mind.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Pretty interesting, I actually looked into buying property in the Azores about two years ago for reasons we won't get into, but my understanding was that in order to gain Portuguese citizenship I would need only pay 250k (for my wife and myself).  This is surprising to me based on that.  

That process takes minimum 5 years. And (to get citizenship) you'd have to pass an A level exam in the Portuguese language (at the end of the 5 or 6 years). (also fwiw it's 280k euros and you are basically giving a developer an interest free loan for 5 to 6 years)

(edited) to be more specific

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am curious as well. A coworker is planning to move to Portugal next year and from what I have gathered it's not easy to migraine to Portugal.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

That process takes minimum 5 years. And (to get citizenship) you'd have to pass an A level exam in the Portuguese language (at the end of the 5 or 6 years). (also fwiw it's 280k euros and you are basically giving a developer an interest free loan for 5 to 6 years)

(edited) to be more specific

Yes, this was dated to a couple of years ago, and I did know of the language requirement, I figured 5 years of submersion I would pick up the language pretty well.  That having been said, you are missing my point, when ever the oligarch did this, money couldn't have possibly been the issue.  Timely pickings if you ask me, but screw that guy anyway.

12 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I thought that was the case, too.

I'm a fan of the Azores.  My folks met there.  My Dad and I went about 7 years ago and it was an amazing trip.  It's such a beautiful place.  

2 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Can you imagine driving into this the next morning after shelling?

What shocks me, is that it would seem that the only thing the Russian Army is good at is shelling little villages and then running away like cowards.  That's it, dumb bombs in major areas, and shelling the shit out villages and villagers.  What a world fucking power, shelling 80 year old retired farmers in their peaceful villages.  Fuck these guys. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Yes, this was dated to a couple of years ago, and I did know of the language requirement, I figured 5 years of submersion I would pick up the language pretty well.  That having been said, you are missing my point, when ever the oligarch did this, money couldn't have possibly been the issue.  Timely pickings if you ask me, but screw that guy anyway.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just pointing out the differences between the program Abramovich "qualified" under and what's ordinarily obtainable. He was able to jump the cue to obtain EU legal protection (that took effect immediately) and it seems almost impossible that it was done legitimately.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just pointing out the differences between the program Abramovich "qualified" under and what's ordinarily obtainable. He was able to jump the cue to obtain EU legal protection (that took effect immediately) and it seems almost impossible that it was done legitimately.

Oh no worries, that may well be the case.  I didn't take it as argumentative in the slightest, and I'm certain that this guy slimmed his way in just as he slimmed his way thru life.  Fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Dasvidaniya! Hey Putin they know where you are fuckstick! Good as dead. 

The best the world can hope for is that this guy gets a buckwheat sooner than later.  It's best for the Ukrainians, the Russians, and the western world.  

• Hook 'Em 2