Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. Poland has been shoved to the front of the world stage, and is performing brilliantly.

That take is fascinating - thanks for sharing.
It’s hard to see an upside to siding with Putin. As the piece noted, even if he “wins,” he loses. He has made Russia a criminal pariah state, and there’s no going back while he remains in charge. How is it a good move to tie yourself to him? It can’t be.

Well if he (Putin) sits on the ledge with you, and you push him off, I will buy you all the beer. Can ya do it? :)  

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, that is what I want to eat when fighting. 

Potatoes and pickles.  Not a very balanced, or sustainable, diet for combat ops.  Meat would be canned or in a reefer truck, so I'm not assuming that what is seen in that truck is all of the food, but between what is seen there and the nasty condition of the cooking gear, it's no wonder they are looting stores and robbing civilians.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Scheiss Meister said:

Potatoes and pickles.  Not a very balanced, or sustainable, diet for combat ops.  Meat would be canned or in a reefer truck, so I'm not assuming that what is seen in that truck is all of the food, but between what is seen there and the nasty condition of the cooking gear, it's no wonder they are looting stores and robbing civilians.

Imagine the killing we could make selling them HEB Tuna packets. Oh wait, Sanctions.... FAFO. 

Hungary troops are shitty troops. But they are also nasty and mean. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Imagine the killing we could make selling them HEB Tuna packets. Oh wait, Sanctions.... FAFO. 

Hungary troops are shitty troops. But they are also nasty and mean. 

One could rapidly become a millionaire by smuggling in Spam and Tabasco sauce and setting up a tortilla factory just across the border.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t  know if the west can do to China economically what it has done to Russia. But I’m confident that China really doesn’t want that to happen to them.  I think there’s a level of MAD there between goods and debts.   It there’s bound to be other countries that would be happy to take on a portion of china’s manufacturing capability over time. 

The biggest problem is the supply chains. For a lot of goods there’s just nowhere in the world that can set up the manufacturing supply chains that China has available, especially at the quantity that China can make them. Not to mention cost. 

The likelier scenario is both sides can make it harder on one another. Countries in the west can artificially make goods from China more expensive through tariffs or import inspections that delay and fail a certain amount of goods. They can create favorable conditions and incentives for manufacturing elsewhere, including domestically. China can withhold buying debt, and therefore make credit a lot more expensive than it is right now. Within reason those actions could hurt both sides but wouldn’t bring about the apocalypse. 

The problem is that China has more leeway in many cases. They don’t have to be concerned with public opinion. They can rally nationalist sentiment and a sense of common sacrifice pretty easily. They can target specific industries in the west, either by restricting their access to the Chinese market, withholding capital, or restricting sales, with the goal in mind of turning that company’s or industries’ lobbyists loose to dampen the restrictions.

The West is much more effective when it brings a sledgehammer, and has consistent policies across the board. Nuanced approaches tend not to work because they’re undermined in so many ways as to make them worthless, and democracies tend not to have much of an appetite for the long view. 

But any kind of sledgehammer with China - like what is going on with Russia - is simply out of the question. The consequences would be unthinkable. We’d be looking at food scarcity issues on a massive scale as entire sectors go out of business, with no jobs, no money, and crashing productivity across the board. Worldwide. Simultaneously. 

I’m not saying it’s impossible to put pressure on China, but it’s extremely difficult. 

Also, Chinese expansionism is always going to be rather limited. Not saying it’s acceptable, but historically speaking it’s not an expansionist culture. Taiwan, a ridiculous amount of the Indo-China Sea. Some disputed borders with places like India and Vietnam. They’re famous for their Great Wall for a reason. Their big deal is they feel like they were humiliated by the West “The 100 years of Humiliation” and they never want that to occur again. They see efforts by the West to contain them as, in part, a desire to set restraints on China in the same manner. Also, the ruling class have no desire to see western style democracy or human rights as a fundamental part of their culture. Still, it’s not the same as Putin’s visions to restore past glory through military conquest, and foment extremists intolerant of progressive values throughout the West. It’s a much more insular vision. None of that makes it better, per se. They’re a complicated frenemy that sees themselves as supplanting the US to shape a world more in their image. But outside of Taiwan it’s tough to see them mounting a massive invasion of anyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well if he (Putin) sits on the ledge with you, and you push him off, I will buy you all the beer. Can ya do it? :)  

Just put a big chicken fried steak platter on the other side of Putin. Brisket would have him flailing through the air before you could say “double mashed potatoes”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Such a bad ass brain trust we have here. No wonder Putin sent that troll over. Surly alone could bring down his empire. We got pirates, food plans, willing to take in all the Ukrainian au pairs, and folks who could go over and fuck shit up. 

Best thread ever... Well maybe the late night new coach spotting. Now if we could figure out a way to deploy the Corps on the Russian side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Very fascinating article. The author is one of China's top foreign policy thinkers. Very prominent. He argues that Putin has inadvertently united the West, plus Japan, Australia, NZ and Taiwan, and boosted democracy. Really interesting - he argues that that China has a week or 2 to decide which side its future will be better with  -- democracies or the authoritarian side of the world. He argues that China is the only country in the world that can (and should) convince Putin to end the war.

From the outside, it may look like China is distancing itself from Russia and choosing the West. Domestically, their media is parroting Russian propaganda, including the latest round of garbage about bioweapons. I don't know which way they've shifted over the last 3 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Why are supposed autocratic-loving "Billionaires" asking for financial assistance to replace aircraft?  Can't they just foot the bill on their own?  

It's first going to be a fight between the leasing companies and their insurers. It's going to be a major shake-up to the aircraft leasing industry to be certain. The companies with the most exposure to RU planes are based in Dublin or Asia. At least one is on the NYSE.

Which, speaking of Dublin - reminds me of this article I read last night about what Russia has been up to there.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It's first going to be a fight between the leasing companies and their insurers. It's going to be a major shake-up to the aircraft leasing industry to be certain. The companies with the most exposure to RU planes are based in Dublin or Asia. At least one is on the NYSE.

Which, speaking of Dublin - reminds me of this article I read last night about what Russia has been up to there.

An embassy surrounded by a milk chocolate lake sounds delicious 

4 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Wow.  They really want to push Sweden into NATO's arms, don't they?

Putin doesn't want NATO to expand.  Does the one thing that almost assures NATO will expand.  Brilliant!

Been trying to tell you, the guy's a fucking genius.  

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You have to assume that China is asking Russia of their plan now that their rapid win plan failed. I don’t see Russia being successful in asking China for major assistance in winning the war and/or propping up the Russian economy.

The Chinese don’t prop up anything. They receive something in exchange for support.  And with Russia defaulting on their debt, the Chinese terms are likely to continue to get worse for the Russians.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Latest from local press citing Ukrainian sources are 35 dead and 134 wounded.

Sounds more reasonable. 

The report I read said that Ukraine stated the anti aircraft defense “worked” but was overwhelmed by the 30 missiles. 

Also someone earlier had asked where they were launched from, and it said it was launched from Russian bombers flown into Ukraine.

Orcs killed a well-known volunteer with a disability, Oleksandr Kononov, who was once released from captivity.

According to his friends and journalists who spoke to Oleksandr on social media, the man was shot dead in his house in the Luhansk region in a wheelchair.

Near Belogorodka, the orcs first learned about the history of Russia from their own experience. Orc's equipment could not force the Snake Shafts. Ancient Russian defense systems against the Horde - 2000 years warranty!

• Hook 'Em 4

Another pontoon crossing on the Desna River was destroyed. Katsap scrap metal misses her.

A volunteer from the International Legion sends greetings to Russian whores.

Soldiers of the National Guard of Ukraine liquidated an enemy sabotage and reconnaissance group near one of the settlements in the area of the Joint Forces operation.

All saboteurs were killed. The occupiers had grenades, mines and surveillance devices with them.

"In the Izium district of Kharkiv region, our air defense shot down a Russian fighter with the Stinger MANPADS, it crashed in the Belgorod region of Russia." This was announced by the head of the Kharkiv Regional State Administration

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 3

I found this interview somewhat funny for such a sobering subject. Young lady interviewer is tasked with asking Ret. General Wesley Clark about the war. Clark gets extremely agitated by the questions. Starts off with a clipped answer. Then obviously feels like more should be done and wants to emphasize the enormous stakes involved, but doesn’t want to be pinned down on exactly what measures the west should be taking.

No offense to the interviewer, but I think I would have preferred a longer format. Given who she was talking to and his expertise in the theater, I would have liked to have someone who could have gotten him to expound on his views in a more measured way. 

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I don’t understand why Russian trolls waste their time on educated forums. They get called out and ostracized immediately, and their propaganda tends to crystalize opposition. It’s self-defeating. 

It’s like some low-level bureaucrat in Moscow stumbled on TexAgs or Tiger Droppings and assumed that all American college sports forums are dominated by credulous morons. 

All American college sports forums?  Naw.  Enough that it's worth taking a shot?  Unfortunately, yeah ... think surly got a visit because of the whole SEC admission thing.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Such a bad ass brain trust we have here. No wonder Putin sent that troll over. Surly alone could bring down his empire. We got pirates, food plans, willing to take in all the Ukrainian au pairs, and folks who could go over and fuck shit up. 

Don't forget we have our own Mata Hari, South Austin's wonderful mother.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Didn't someone here mention they have a UKR neighbor who believes the RUS propaganda?

“How do you know which side in a conflict is lying, and which is not? It’s very simple. The lying side is the one that has to bring in censorship, close down the media, and silence its own citizens.”

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I don’t understand why Russian trolls waste their time on educated forums. They get called out and ostracized immediately, and their propaganda tends to crystalize opposition. It’s self-defeating. 

It’s like some low-level bureaucrat in Moscow stumbled on TexAgs or Tiger Droppings and assumed that all American college sports forums are dominated by credulous morons. 

My experience with Russian trolls has been they’re not trying to win the argument as much as they’re trying to confuse the issue. In the past they haven’t been limited to issues involving Russia, either. They love weighing on controversial domestic topics in an effort to stir the pot.

Israeli “trolls” on the other hand, are fucking relentless. No quarter is given on any point. Israel has never done anything wrong in its existence, it’s never had any material help in any way, and any country that backs them should be grateful for having an opportunity to do so. Easily my least favorite to engage with. 

Chinese trolls stick to Chinese topics, are hyper nationalistic, spin a narrative that makes it seem the Communist Party is practically a representative democracy, and they’re the victims of a worldwide conspiracy to keep them down. 

Russian trolls tend to be at their least effective when talking about Russia. But they can be very effective at lobbing conversational grenades into a community in efforts to polarize it. It’s hard to defend against even when everyone knows what’s going on, because opinions are so strong on certain topics. 

That’s why the war on Ukraine is such a nightmare for them. Very little to work with. I still see the Russian narrative out there. Lots of whataboutisms regarding Iraq, the hypocrisy of the west in how they’re addressing Ukraine versus other conflicts, the racism allegedly evident in Ukraine for how they’ve dealt with refugees of color, the supposed biological weapons that the US has been sponsoring, lots about the barbarism and political power of the neo-Nazi Azov brigade, and other nonsense. 

But the overwhelming world response has been pro Ukraine. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

My experience with Russian trolls has been they’re not trying to win the argument as much as they’re trying to confuse the issue. In the past they haven’t been limited to issues involving Russia, either. They love weighing on controversial domestic topics in an effort to stir the pot.

Israeli “trolls” on the other hand, are fucking relentless. No quarter is given on any point. Israel has never done anything wrong in its existence, it’s never had any material help in any way, and any country that backs them should be grateful for having an opportunity to do so. Easily my least favorite to engage with. 

Chinese trolls stick to Chinese topics, are hyper nationalistic, spin a narrative that makes it seem the Communist Party is practically a representative democracy, and they’re the victims of a worldwide conspiracy to keep them down. 

Russian trolls tend to be at their least effective when talking about Russia. But they can be very effective at lobbing conversational grenades into a community in efforts to polarize it. It’s hard to defend against even when everyone knows what’s going on, because opinions are so strong on certain topics. 

That’s why the war on Ukraine is such a nightmare for them. Very little to work with. I still see the Russian narrative out there. Lots of whataboutisms regarding Iraq, the hypocrisy of the west in how they’re addressing Ukraine versus other conflicts, the racism allegedly evident in Ukraine for how they’ve dealt with refugees of color, the supposed biological weapons that the US has been sponsoring, lots about the barbarism and political power of the neo-Nazi Azov brigade, and other nonsense. 

But the overwhelming world response has been pro Ukraine. 

Prove you're not a machine.