Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

That honestly sounds nuts. You don’t just weaponize a pathogen from a biomedical lab that’s doing research; there are a lot of steps between research and weapon. I mean, you might be able to let a nasty out and get some people sick but a purpose built bio-weapon is something else. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

That honestly sounds nuts. You don’t just weaponize a pathogen from a biomedical lab that’s doing research; there are a lot of steps between research and weapon. I mean, you might be able to let a nasty out and get some people sick but a purpose built bio-weapon is something else. 

Unless the biomedical research lab is actually a chemical weapons facility. I don’t know either way, but for the pentagon to make such a stretch suggests to me that it’s more than just pathogen research. 

Unless the biomedical research lab is actually a chemical weapons facility. I don’t know either way, but for the pentagon to make such a stretch suggests to me that it’s more than just pathogen research. 

Or somebody shows up with a briefcase from a lab in Russia with a ready-made weapon to be dispersed at the Ukrainian lab.
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Or somebody shows up with a briefcase from a lab in Russia with a ready-made weapon to be dispersed at the Ukrainian lab.

An excellent point. I wonder if such weapons have fingerprints on them such that we could say that it was produced here or that we don’t use such chemicals etc. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Ukraine is not putting chemical or biological weapons facilities on the border with Russia, within easy distance of capture.

Every accusation is a confession.  "We aren't going to invade" "We won't harm civilians" "We won't target medical facilities" "We won't interfere with nuclear power plants" "We are doing fantastic on Day 17 of our 3-day war"

When Russia started talking about chemical and biological weapons, it's a sure sign they are considering it.

And when they started talking about, my first thought was them trying to use chemical agents to root out Ukrainians in the cities who maybe in bomb shelters or in tunnels, or whatever.

Remember, we never discovered what agent they used in Moscow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_hostage_crisis_chemical_agent

But only a handful of folks died due to gunshot wounds, and the rest of the 170 (or more) died due to the chemical agent.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

This is basically the russian version of the Louisiana woman who attacks the McDonald's drive-through cashier because they didn't get her order correct. Except they no longer even have that McD's employee to attack.

When Luka says he wants his MickyDees, you best believe Luka wants his MickyDees.

Probably should have done it 10-14 days ago.

A public denial at this point from China would spell disaster for Putin at home politically.  China helping Russia cuts off China from the West but perhaps helps get Russia over the hump in Ukraine in the short term.

Like others, I think China sees this as an unwinnable war and would be better off isolating Russia.

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I don’t understand why Russian trolls waste their time on educated forums. They get called out and ostracized immediately, and their propaganda tends to crystalize opposition. It’s self-defeating. 

It’s like some low-level bureaucrat in Moscow stumbled on TexAgs or Tiger Droppings and assumed that all American college sports forums are dominated by credulous morons. 

I've had to help deal with the Russian bots/trolls on forums aimed at kids - LEGO, Minecraft, etc., as well as some hobbyist forums/sites (that again, have nothing to do with the war or Ukraine/Russia) and the bot farms do not necessarily care what forums they are hitting - while I'm sure some humans are feeding them "high priority" websites (reddit, Facebook, twitter, etc.), they are also just crawling the web looking for forums and sites with open comments.  

The better bots/trolls are not straight-up pushing "UKRAINE EVIL RUSSIA GOOD" narratives, but instead they seem to be trying to muddy the waters, pushing out mostly false narratives that could seem feasible to somebody not well-read on the subject, cherry-picking things like comments from Ukrainian leaders or Putin or whoever.

It is slightly frightening in that a lot of people could get sucked in by this stuff, especially when they see stuff that pushes them towards ZeroHedge or Facebook groups or whatever that could provide a lot of biased/false information that sounds plausible.

This entire fiasco has never made any sense to me unless Putin was always operating on the assumption that China was going to help Russia get through this, at least economically. I'm certainly not counting on China to do the "right thing", unless you are considering the "right thing for China"

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If China helps Russia, consider the entire country a lost cause, and begin immediately plotting with the western Allies to slowly shift manufacturing to 20 other countries around the world over the next twenty years. Do it quietly, slowly, methodically and dramatically reduce our reliance on them. We can teach many other low cost countries to manufacture goods for us. In fact we should be doing this anyway. 

Can we default on the US bonds they own or nah?

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Potatoes, pickles, onions, and rancid mold.   The only thing more horrifying would be if we saw the British army’s food supply lines. 

Woah now. I ate a lot at the PRT in Helmand. Only better dining facility in all of Afghanistan was the German one in Konduz. 

The brits brought in a bunch of bad ass Indian cooks who knew what they were doing. Best rations though were French Paratroops since they had a nice little bottle of wine in them. Kicks the shit out of MRE's

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

American law enforcement effort and pressure v cartels….cartels win.

American industry/corporations with a profit motive v cartels….Bitch please.

I would tend to agree, they'd look at this as more of a lucrative opportunity to do their business.  That said, I also know that part of their power depends on suppression of people.  If major industry moved in, they'd lose at least some of that power.  

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Maybe Poland deserves the cover of Time. What they are doing is amazing. And I would love to see us fly out Ukranians on our returning C 17's. We are all fighting this dick fuck and Poland needs to know that we are there to help with more than supplying equipment. Have said this before. I am not Surly 1%, but I have half a house that is empty and would be happy to let a family live there. And before someone jumps on me about "what about a Venezuelan family", yep, them too. Home of the Free baby. We are the Beacon on the Hill. 

I honestly don’t know how many would want to do it. Most of them want to be close and really believe they’re going back. I would let in anyone who wanted to, but Ukraine is going to need these god folks.

Poland is kicking ass and really rehabing their democratic backslider image.  The Slovaks and Romanians and Czechs are kicking ass too. It’s good to let Europe get this one given that they were so dovish for so long.  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Woah now. I ate a lot at the PRT in Helmand. Only better dining facility in all of Afghanistan was the German one in Konduz. 

The brits brought in a bunch of bad ass Indian cooks who knew what they were doing. Best rations though were French Paratroops since they had a nice little bottle of wine in them. Kicks the shit out of MRE's

The Germans in Termez had the good beer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

The Germans in Termez had the good beer. 

Yeah, but Nato HQ in Kabul was pretty damn good. Great pizza thanks to the Italians. Got fucked up there with a bunch of Macedonians and my cousin (He was there advisor) one night. Worse hangover ever was waking up in a converted container at KIA and having to wander around to find breakfast smelling the exhaust of aircraft. Well that and one day in Lima. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I volunteered today. Log/Admin role to replace people for 30-60 days. The operation is in the west, or should the Orcs win will be pulled back behind the NATO wall. Either way the humanitarian effort will be tremendous and if peace hits tomorrow that is when it truly begins. It is with the same group I do overwatch for so I know the ops team pretty well. Worked with them in East Africa and Afghanistan. Fucking pros. All of them. 

Not sure if I am in, but why the fuck not. My kids are grown up, I can afford it. Like I said earlier. People on the ground are going to be beat to shit in a few months and we need to be ready to go in and alleviate that strain. I hope I get called. Deployment would be 90 days from now. Already polished my boots. 

I haven't kept up with your posts very well.  What do you do as a civilian, and what are you gonna do now.  Please used non-military jargon. 

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I design humanitarian and reconstruction support programs. I have done a lot in security assistance and reform. My experience is Bosnia, Afghanistan, East Africa and Latin America. I consult and tell companies how not to fuck up and how to design real solutions. I know supply chains and how to modify operational plans as needed. Gotta be flexible. But most important I know that working in these places suck and you have to be able to laugh and lead. 

Have not been operational for about 7 years (single dad shit) so the time is right. 

And except for being Navy ROTC at UT, I have always been a civilian. 

So perhaps a stupid question, but since you have experience, which do you focus on first in a war torn area, water, power, or roads and transportation? 

Home and business. People need to see improvement now. They already did without. So how fast can you maximize impact to improve daily life. 

There is a euphoria at the end of a war, but it fades fast. The suicide rate in Bosnia was almost nil during the war. A year after peace it jumped up. Focus on making lives better right away. Forget band aid projects, get them to work and build their homes. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Home and business. People need to see improvement now. They already did without. So how fast can you maximize impact to improve daily life. 

There is a euphoria at the end of a war, but it fades fast. The suicide rate in Bosnia was almost nil during the war. A year after peace it jumped up. Focus on making lives better right away. Forget band aid projects, get them to work and build their homes. 

That makes a lot of sense, I didn't think about the crushing depression that has to set in for many having to start over from scratch.  

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Man, if we could somehow end the war now, as horrible as it sounds, it could be a massive W overall for Ukraine. Not just the giant injection of Western cash but the patriotic mood of so many emigre Ukrainians who would be ready to rush back in, the goodwill of companies wanting to be part of the rebuild and employing people, the race to integrate as deep and as fast as possible. It could be a warp speed reboot of a country that needed it.

But as this drags on and people lose momentum, the refugees become immigrants….That’s how Russia wins, turns this into a permanent broken place.  I can feel it here, there’s going to be a point in a month, maybe two where Poland just runs out of gas, you can’t coast on good will and a sidecar of pure Russian hate forever and people will have to return to life. If Putin was smart he’d realize that he only makes life harder by threatening NATO. It keeps people interested. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Man, if we could somehow end the war now, as horrible as it sounds, it could be a massive W overall for Ukraine. Not just the giant injection of Western cash but the patriotic mood of so many emigre Ukrainians who would be ready to rush back in, the goodwill of companies wanting to be part of the rebuild and employing people, the race to integrate as deep and as fast as possible. It could be a warp speed reboot of a country that needed it.

But as this drags on and people lose momentum, the refugees become immigrants….That’s how Russia wins, turns this into a permanent broken place.  I can feel it here, there’s going to be a point in a month, maybe two where Poland just runs out of gas, you can’t coast on good will and a sidecar of pure Russian hate forever and people will have to return to life. If Putin was smart he’d realize that he only makes life harder by threatening NATO. It keeps people interested. 

Yeah.  I made that post about refugees at the beginning.  It starts that way as good will.  And then resentment builds up.  Then funding goes away and then the clashes.  Maybe two European countries may make it easier since they look similar.  But yeah the longer the refugees are there the worst it will get.  Inevitably something pops off and there is a schism between the host and the guest

• Hook 'Em 1