Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

12 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

You protect the armor flanks with scouting detachments followed up by infantry in fast moving soft cover vehicles. We perfected the technique over two gulf wars and I guess Russia didn’t take notes.

Yeppers.  Which takes a significant amount of time and training.  You can't just throw a bunch of people onto the field and call it a "team" or expect them to be able to work together. 

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Reminds me of the time in high school when my buddies and I were at my uncle's ranch near Devine.  It had been a wet spring.  We liked to drink beer and take a jeep out at night to spotlight rabbits.  We got one jeep way stuck in the mud.  Decided to pull it out with another jeep.  Got that stuck.  Decided to pull those out with the old Ford tractor.  Got that stuck.  We then realized we should probably stop, hosed the mud off of ourselves and went to bed.  The next morning, under my grandfather's annoyed supervision, we used the big Case tractor to pull out all three.  Mud will fuck up your whole day.  And kill your buzz.

Wife once asked how I learned how to drive in mud. My response was, 'You can make the walk of shame to tell my grandfather or uncle they have to pull a tractor off task to pull me out cause I sure as hell won't be.' 

• Hook 'Em 2

This final countdown language is supposed to scare us.

When we see these clips or excerpts from Russian media we have to remember that the state has total control and the primary audience is the Russian people. To me, the fact that we’ve seen at least a few instances of the Russian media address the disastrous outcomes they’ve faced and/or could face, it says that the Kremlin is trying to instill an us against the world, win at all costs mindset into the Russian public. Because ultimately, the only thing that really threatens the current power structure in Russia is a large scale popular movement from within.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Wife once asked how I learned how to drive in mud. My response was, 'You can make the walk of shame to tell my grandfather or uncle they have to pull a tractor off task to pull me out cause I sure as hell won't be.' 

The sage advice that my late father taught me was momentum always makes up for a lack of traction. BUT, that logic doesn't hold up in tanks or tractors.

CHIEF

39 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah she's super fucking hot in that movie. And yes, very very underrated flick. 

Outside of Dredd, which almost no one saw, Repeat/Toworrow is the quintessential “went into to it expecting nothing and was totally blown away” movie.

In lobbying, when I have unexpected success I always use the “I dunno….I’ve never gotten this far before” line. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not Great Ok GIF by Sky España

https://www.wsj.com/articles/roman-abramovich-and-ukrainian-peace-negotiators-suffer-symptoms-of-suspected-poisoning-11648480493

Roman Abramovich and Ukrainian Peace Negotiators Suffer Suspected Poisoning

counterpoint:

️ Due to the fighting near Kyiv, two high-voltage lines supplying part of the houses on the right bank were damaged again, the Kyiv City State Administration reports.

️ Power engineers are rapidly switching critical infrastructure facilities to backup power.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah the technicals that started showing up have been very telling. The mighty Red Army conducting offensive maneuvers in commandeered / field built technicals, oooff. Although the guys in the technicals may be in the best shape to get to safety if/once we get to the TUGS phase during a retreat.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Mariupol Today

Kyiv

The Russian Orlan-10 UAV was shot down

SSO of Ukraine destroys the enemy column. Good and professional work.

Ukrainian soldiers destroy two Russian BMP-2s and an artillery system.

Ukrainian warbirds bomb Rusny from the air.

Destroyed tank of the Russian Nazis against the background of a monument to those who fought against the Nazis.

Report to the commander of the Kantemirov division that the loading of n anti-tank weapons was successful.

Trophy Russian BMD-2

Trophy Urals with ammunition for tanks.

Horde jihad cars, location unknown. The car was most likely stolen from a car dealership.

Shot down a racist Su-35 yesterday near Izyum.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

️ FAKE. Russian media report on a "denazified" street in Berdyansk. But such a street has never been 🤦‍♂️

Greetings from Ukraine, trophy BMP-2

Russian freelancers ran away so much that they forgot their bulletproof vests.

The air reconnaissance unit of the Armed Forces of Ukraine helped to find the BUK SAM of the occupiers.

The Russian Buk complex was discovered by the Ukrainian Stork drone. "Stork-100" is an unmanned aerial vehicle from the Ukrainian company DeViRo, which is used for reconnaissance.

Ukrainian artillery continues to destroy equipment of the Russian occupiers.

^Pilot from the jet I posted earlier

Continued dialogue with Prime Minister 🇮🇹 Mario Draghi. Discussed the course of countering Russian aggression. He thanked for the important defense and humanitarian support. The Ukrainian people will remember this. We appreciate the willingness 🇮🇹 to join in creating a system of security guarantees for 🇺🇦 .

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

We keep on running with the idea that everyone else is spending what we are on tech and equipment modernization, but they aren't or can't. Our infantry tech can be countered by both our air and our tank tech. But the gulf is so vast between our tech and most other nations that putting our tech on the battlefield against pretty much anyone that does have our tech and it is an instant mismatch slanted towards the infantry.

So our Military is Nebraska's option offense circa 1996?

Edited by Parliament

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Bellingcat chiming in

Here's the free link to the WSJ article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/roman-abramovich-and-ukrainian-peace-negotiators-suffer-symptoms-of-suspected-poisoning-11648480493?st=muarfikovoesseg&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Someone speculated that RA was the delivery agent. That doesn't seem to be the gist of the article; according to Zelensky he has been very helpful. The poisoners are thought to be Russian hardliners, in other words, these are the guys who are going to fill the power vacuum when Putin is gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/27/ukraine-bounced-back-embarrass-russia-recapture-bombarded-cities/

Legendary Stalingrad tank division destroyed as Ukraine reclaims key town
Russia’s elite 4th Guards forged a fearsome reputation in Second World War battles but have been reduced to smoking wreckage in Trostyanets

By
Robert Mendick,
 CHIEF REPORTER ; 
Colin Freeman
 IN KYIV and 
James Kilner
27 March 2022 • 6:49pm

https://kotaku.com/fortnite-epic-ukraine-charity-70-million-donations-war-1848709669

Fortnite Players Have Now Raised Over $70 Million For Ukraine
Less than a week into the new season Fornite players have already donated a staggering amount of money
ByZack Zwiezen
Yesterday 2:30PM

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3441768-defenders-of-kyiv-holding-back-enemy-ukraines-general-staff.html

Ukrainian multimedia platform for broadcasting
Monday, 28 March 2022, 21:18

The defenders of Kyiv are holding back Russian troops that are attempting to break through Ukrainian defense lines from the northwest and the east.

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/ukraine-will-not-be-silent-about-women-being-raped-during-invasion-says-mp-maria-mezentseva-1542026

By Isabella Cipirska
March 27, 2022 3:03 pm(Updated March 28, 2022 4:09 pm)

Ukraine will ‘not be silent’ about women being raped during invasion, says MP Maria Mezentseva

She said they were expected “many more” victims to come forward

https://www.rand.org/pubs/perspectives/PE198.html

The Russian "Firehose of Falsehood" Propaganda Model
Why It Might Work and Options to Counter It

by Christopher Paul, Miriam Matthews

It just seems weird for such a genius to continue shelling children's hospitals on the world stage.  First maternity ward hit, he could excuse that away as an errant launch.  But it's nearing double digit targets at this point.   I mean, I know it's fake news...but what the fuck is the play here?  This isn't 1945, you can't shell children's hospitals and not have 100 nations with camera crews on scene to film it.  Da fuh?  

The Russians, with their overly centralized command system and lack of experienced noncommissioned officers, have been slow to respond to Ukrainian tactics. “The Russians have no imagination,” an American who said he was fighting with the Ukrainians told the Atlantic. “They would shell our positions, attack in large formations, and when their assaults failed, do it all over again."

See the note above that it looks like Mariupol has fallen.  With it surrounded and besieged, with no reinforcements or supplies, that seemed inevitable.  And it makes me wonder whether now, when Putin has shut off Ukraine from the Sea of Azov and he had linked up Donbas and Crimea, whether this is the status he'll try to secure with a peace deal.

If I'm Ukraine....I don't take it.  I continue killing Russians everywhere I can.  Then, when they are distracted enough and I have the means, I move to re-take Mariupol.  Make it a long war.  Ukraine can outlast Russia, in the long-run.  Continue depleting their vehicles, continue depleting their men.  Bleed them, and never let the river of Russian blood stop flowing until you have Mariupol back.

Quite simply, if I were Ukrainian, I wouldn't be done with killing Russians for a long, long, long time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

How did Russia even define "denazification"?  The dismissal/disbanding of certain units?  

No, it was never defined but the Azov and a couple of other units are the ones that have those leanings.  That was never the reason for the invasion.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hefeweizen said:

No, it was never defined but the Azov and a couple of other units are the ones that have those leanings.  That was never the reason for the invasion.

Of course, just curious if they (Russia) even had a definition as part of their demands?  My guess was always units associated with this were to be rebranded, dissolved, etc.?

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Of course, just curious if they (Russia) even had a definition as part of their demands?  My guess was always units associated with this were to be rebranded, dissolved, etc.?

My assumption is that denazification was being used to justify demilitarization. Basically, they were one and the same from the Russian perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Russia pulling back on the "denazification" rhetoric is gonna confuse the fuck out of a lotta stupid people here in the United States.  

How the fuck that term ever got traction in the last two months will haunt history for a century.  

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

All of Russia's "demands" are just red herrings to justify the invasion. This was about expanding Russia's sphere of influence through military action. Nothing else.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

See the note above that it looks like Mariupol has fallen.  With it surrounded and besieged, with no reinforcements or supplies, that seemed inevitable.  And it makes me wonder whether now, when Putin has shut off Ukraine from the Sea of Azov and he had linked up Donbas and Crimea, whether this is the status he'll try to secure with a peace deal.

Quoting myself, because....

12 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Wow.  They are quickly trying to end this now.

Yeah, if that offer is true, that's getting really close to something Ukraine might have to take.  Russia trying to seal the deal while they hold Mariupol and have their connection corridor.  Oh, and I wouldn't take a "cease fire."  Why should I stop killing the fuck out of you?  It's a full on treaty, or nothing.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

All of Russia's "demands" are just red herrings to justify the invasion. This was about expanding Russia's sphere of influence through military action. Nothing else.

Agreed. You also cannot trust Russia to keep its word. If you negotiate with them now and then agree to stand alone (neutrality) then you're just giving them the time it needs to re-invade you.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Of course.  Just curious if they even bothered to write it down and/or define it?

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ukraine can outlast Russia, in the long-run.  Continue depleting their vehicles, continue depleting their men.  Bleed them, and never let the river of Russian blood stop flowing until you have Mariupol back.

Ukraine can outlast Russia as long as Western nations keep supplies flowing. Once recession hits in Europe, Russian resources and immediate, short-term peaceful borders between "buffer countries" may be more valuable than Ukraine "winning" the war.

Likely scenario:

Russia will force Ukraine to give up more than it wants, and even if they don't they'll pretend that Ukraine did tell them they can have all that territory. They'll consolidate their gains, not pull out, and work behind the scenes to undermine Ukraine's government. They'll bring their propaganda shows back and pipe them into Ukraine, and bide their time while re-arming. They'll pressure the West into ending Russia's sanctions, which they'll do, and then Russia will once again come out on top and live to do this again in a few years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

27 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

30 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

How did Russia even define "denazification"?  The dismissal/disbanding of certain units?  

24 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

My assumption is that denazification was being used to justify demilitarization. Basically, they were one and the same from the Russian perspective. 

20 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This.  I think the two are more or less synonymous, if not interchangeable.

Nazi is interchangeable in their communications with Nationalists.  This means people that want a free and independent Ukraine are Nazis whether they are anti-Semitic or not.  So people in Texas that want to secede are Nazis by that definition.

This was not an anti Nazi campaign, it was an anti-nationalist campaign meant to bring Ukraine back into mother Russia's fold.

And the stated reason of "to prevent genocide" is code for "we want the oil and gas regions to prevent Ukraine developing them as a competitor to Russia's Gazprom" 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

Agreed. You also cannot trust Russia to keep its word. If you negotiate with them now and then agree to stand alone (neutrality) then you're just giving them the time it needs to re-invade you.

Yep, but it also allows the UA to better arm and equip as well.  Not sure what type of "re-invasion" material Russia would even have at this point?  Tank factories shutting down, capital stopped flowing, currency in the toilet.  Where do they source all their stuff now?  The Russian defense industrial base was stagnant BEFORE the invasion.  Their only real advantage was material that they seemingly are unable to replace?

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My understanding is they couldn't flank because of the mud

A squared away American Combined Arms unit wouldn’t need to flank a light infantry unit with anti-tank weaponry. Our thermal imagery would have seen them coming miles away in the open farmland of Ukraine. It would be a turkey shoot. Either Russia has the most undisciplined untrained troops in the world or Russia has been lying about their technology for decades. 

Drones are another issue. Those things are terrifying. Without air support all ground militaries are mostly sitting ducks to air attack assets. That’s why America invest so heavily in the military. It’s expensive stuff gaining air superiority the way our doctrine calls for.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Ukraine can outlast Russia as long as Western nations keep supplies flowing. Once recession hits in Europe, Russian resources and immediate, short-term peaceful borders between "buffer countries" may be more valuable than Ukraine "winning" the war.

This was my concern weeks back - the short attention span of the west.  Ukraine can hold on only as long as they are supplied with enough tech to offset Russian size/numbers advantage.