Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Sinking of the Moskva is huge beyond the immediate theatre impact.  The whole Russian navy only had three operational. Losing a capital ship seriously degrades their theoretical power projection capability.

HaHaHaHaHaHa....I think that ship sailed a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

I'm still just completely gobsmacked at the loss of the Moskva.  Just following along on Twitter from the time the Ukrainians announced it to the time it capsized was only a couple hours.  That indicates just a complete failure of damage control.

I know damage control is something the United States Navy takes particular pride in and is very good at.  You can look at any number of incidents, from missile strikes (Stark) to IED bombings (Cole) to various submarines that hit seamounts or Japanese fishing boats or whatever--and we didn't lose any of them due to capable damage control.

I'll defer to people who are more knowledgeable about it than I am.  But it seems to me that good damage-control processes only come with a lot of training and practice.  And as with the rest of the Russian military, I suspect this indicates a failure of training.  There's just no way that two missile strikes should cause a guided missile cruiser to sink in just a couple hours.

Although I am holding out the distinct possibility of a serious design flaw.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

But it seems to me that good damage-control processes only come with a lot of training and practice.  And as with the rest of the Russian military, I suspect this indicates a failure of training

This has been evident across every facet of the Russian forces.  

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

There's just no way that two missile strikes should cause a guided missile cruiser to sink in just a couple hours.

Along with the failure to contain, it might have set off internal secondary explosions - most likely stored ammo or something equally volatile.  Be funny if the deck popped off like so many Russian tank turrets.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Heard it is (was) one on three

Sorry, I meant the Neptune missiles were a fairly new system and they should conserve them for active threats. Yes, the Moscow was one of three guided missile cruisers. The other two are stuck in the Med and can't get into the black sea because Turkey closed the straights to warships. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

idle thought, but ukraine pr is great right now.  every photo of zelensky has him posed like some stern bad ass.

Never in a suit, always in military/olive drab clothing.  He's projecting the carefully manicured image of a wartime leader.  His acting training/experience is serving him very well in this regard.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

The Exocet in Falklands that got the British ship is pretty close.  

Argentina had a WW2 cruiser (the Belgrano) which a Brit submarine sank, and a small aircraft carrier that never made it out to sea during that conflict.

My very good Brit friend was an RAF Chinook crew chief in that little conflict. He saw first hand what those Exocets did to the RN destroyers.

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm worried that he has deluded himself into believing that there's no way he ever loses power, and that his #1 focus now is to save face. That could mean nuking Kyiv or worse. 

Even Hitler realized the jig was up and offed himself.

One of Putler’s minions should hand him a Walther PPK.

30 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm still just completely gobsmacked at the loss of the Moskva.  Just following along on Twitter from the time the Ukrainians announced it to the time it capsized was only a couple hours.  That indicates just a complete failure of damage control.

I know damage control is something the United States Navy takes particular pride in and is very good at.  You can look at any number of incidents, from missile strikes (Stark) to IED bombings (Cole) to various submarines that hit seamounts or Japanese fishing boats or whatever--and we didn't lose any of them due to capable damage control.

I'll defer to people who are more knowledgeable about it than I am.  But it seems to me that good damage-control processes only come with a lot of training and practice.  And as with the rest of the Russian military, I suspect this indicates a failure of training.  There's just no way that two missile strikes should cause a guided missile cruiser to sink in just a couple hours.

Although I am holding out the distinct possibility of a serious design flaw.

The craziest part to me is that they would rather suggest that their crews are so incompetent and their ships are so shitty as to blow up if a guy is smoking in the wrong area as an alternative explanation.   I suppose they do not want to be a weapons manufacturer anymore.  

23 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

idle thought, but ukraine pr is great right now.  every photo of zelensky has him posed like some stern bad ass.

100%, Have you seen the video productions he produces to accompany some of his press conferences? Since he was an actor, he has all these media resources to draw from, and has put out some stuff waaay above the half-assed stuff Russia puts out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The craziest part to me is that they would rather suggest that their crews are so incompetent and their ships are so shitty as to blow up if a guy is smoking in the wrong area as an alternative explanation.   I suppose they do not want to be a weapons manufacturer anymore.  

I suspect it indicates careless handling of ammunition.  I bet they had it sitting in passageways because they're too lazy to have the missiles all stored down in the magazine.

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Friend from school went to Annapolis and then later was a officer on a nuke sub.  Tough on his wife.  He'd disappear for months and even POTUS doesn't know where they are.  Obviously tight lipped about what they do, etc.....but he did say Russia losing subs is nothing new.  They lose more than you know (hear about on the news) to accidents, malfunctions, stuff like that.  Except it's usually in deep water or under the polar ice caps.  Scary games they play in the dark....

• Hook 'Em 1

In Chernihiv region, a tractor driver died from a Russian mine blast ...

️ The next, fourth, exchange of prisoners of war took place today

▫️ 30 citizens, including 5 officers and 17 privates, as well as 8 civilians, including 1 woman, go home - Vereshchuk.

Again. Russia holds civilians captive!

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I suspect it indicates careless handling of ammunition.  I bet they had it sitting in passageways because they're too lazy to have the missiles all stored down in the magazine.

Missiles in the magazine?   You see the big tubes on the side of the ship that held the 16 cruise missiles right?  I'm probably gonna go with that 16 is a full load for the ship and you head back to the dock or alongside a replenishment ship to get more.  I doubt they had any more stored down below anywhere.

If the Neptune missile hits the side and those things cook off no telling what on the boat gets destroyed.

Edited by davidg

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Friend from school went to Annapolis and then later was a officer on a nuke sub.  Tough on his wife.  He'd disappear for months and even POTUS doesn't know where they are.  Obviously tight lipped about what they do, etc.....but he did say Russia losing subs is nothing new.  They lose more than you know (hear about on the news) to accidents, malfunctions, stuff like that.  Except it's usually in deep water or under the polar ice caps.  Scary games they play in the dark....

We have a friend with a High Security clearance, he never says anything outright, but has alluded to there being close to 50 Russian subs sitting on the bottom of the World's oceans.

CHIEF

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

We have a friend with a High Security clearance, he never says anything outright, but has alluded to there being close to 50 Russian subs sitting on the bottom of the World's oceans.

CHIEF

Yeah, he NEVER gave any specifics, but that seems about in line with what he "alluded" to.  Dozens and dozens over the years.  

100% we know where they all are and have probably even tried to salvage a few for intel.  

7 minutes ago, davidg said:

Missiles in the magazine?   You see the big tubes on the side of the ship that held the 16 cruise missiles right?  I'm probably gonna go with that 16 is a full load for the ship and you head back to the dock or alongside a replenishment ship to get more.  I doubt they had any more stored down below anywhere.

If the Neptune missile hits the side and those things cook off no telling on the boat what gets destroyed.

Regardless of the ships overall condition, if there was any substantial fire, the electronics are toast.  You can't rewire a ship like that in a couple of days.  

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, well, there were also allied forces outside Berlin at that point. Get back to me when Moscow is about to be surrounded by NATO forces. 

It won’t be NATO on the outskirts of Moscow, it’ll be his own army around the Kremlin.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

I thought it was reported that he had a heart attack back in early March?  He disappeared for a couple of weeks, then just reappeared with no explanation.  Now he's had another heart attack?  Who is he, Fred Sanford?

I think it was stated that the first heart attack was that he actually went to North Korea for a while to try and buy some weapons from Kim Jung.

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

why not actually sink it now that it is apparently disabled?

Not yet.  Wait until the Russians move in other assets to tow it in, and then hit those assets.  Bleed them more.

Or, get a Turkish vessel in the area to tow the hulk to Turkey for dismantling and inspection.