Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

NATO trolling Putin/reinforcing the fact that he’s managed to make NATO stronger and more unified that it’s been in years.  And I kind of wonder if the snowy scenes were to make you think about Finland or Sweden…..but it is still snowy in Northern Europe, so sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Moscow's military operation will end when Nato stops using Ukrainian territory to threaten Russia, Alexey Polishchuk, a senior official in Russia’s foreign ministry, told Russian state news agency Tass.

"The special military operation will end when its tasks are fulfilled. Among them are the protection of the peaceful population of Donbas, demilitarization and denazification of Ukraine, as well as the elimination of threats to Russia coming from the Ukrainian territory due to its capturing by Nato countries," Mr Polischuk said.

However, he did not give any details on how the Nato was threatening Russia from Ukraine's territory. 

The diplomat added the operation was "running as planned" and that "all its goals will be reached".

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61157670

• Haha 2

Putin calls off plan to storm Mariupol plant, opts for blockade instead

Putin, in a Kremlin meeting with Sergei Shoigu, his defence minister, gave the order to call off the plan to storm it, saying it was better to save the lives of Russian soldiers and officers and to sit back and wait while Ukrainian forces ran out of supplies

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-cancels-russian-plans-storm-mariupol-steel-plant-opts-blockade-instead-2022-04-21/

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

Putin calls off plan to storm Mariupol plant, opts for blockade instead

Putin, in a Kremlin meeting with Sergei Shoigu, his defence minister, gave the order to call off the plan to storm it, saying it was better to save the lives of Russian soldiers and officers and to sit back and wait while Ukrainian forces ran out of supplies

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-cancels-russian-plans-storm-mariupol-steel-plant-opts-blockade-instead-2022-04-21/

cheryl-cole-right.gif

Russia: That makes total sense!

Everybody else: The Russians don’t have enough troops to take all of Mariupol and the areas around it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I am still not quite sure I get the deal with the West providing planes.

The entire world can shower Ukraine with hundreds of billions of dollars worth of land based weapons, rockets, missiles, drones, helicopters, and intel. They can even send in jet parts and assistance with jet maintenance.

But, by God, send one single jet, and Vlady is gonna drop nukes?

I don't think I am buying it anymore

I'm definitely not buying it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I am still not quite sure I get the deal with the West providing planes.

The entire world can shower Ukraine with hundreds of billions of dollars worth of land based weapons, rockets, missiles, drones, helicopters, and intel. They can even send in jet parts and assistance with jet maintenance.

But, by God, send one single jet, and Vlady is gonna drop nukes?

I don't think I am buying it anymore

I personally think that the West is concerned that, in theory, Russia could take out such aircraft with missiles, either by direct hits or holing runways, and then that’s tens of millions of wasted aid   With smaller aid/systems, they are on trucks and easy to disperse once they cross the Ukrainian border, and so less likely to be destroyed, or if a truck is hit, it’s not much in the way of lost aid.

it would really suck the life out of our aid efforts if we gave them half-a-dozen fighters and then they get destroyed in a few minutes of missile attacks and there goes $200 million in aid, up in smoke   

• Hook 'Em 6

In terms of us providing planes, the rules of war are not always rational. We didn't attack China during the Vietnam War, even though China was supplying North Vietnam. However I imagine that we communicated clear lines to China on the limits of their involvement. I'm sure China also pushed the boundaries of those limits.

And before anyone replies, I know China supplied planes to North Vietnam. I wasn't referring to planes.

i'm annoyed that the russian economy isn't a total wasteland already.  if we were cut off completely from foreign trading we'd be in a depression in 48 hours.  i don't really get it.

NYT says its contracted 10-15%.

Russia’s central bank chief warned on Monday that the consequences of Western sanctions were only beginning to be felt, and Moscow’s mayor said that 200,000 jobs were at risk in the Russian capital alone, stark acknowledgments that undermined President Vladimir V. Putin’s contention that sanctions had failed to destabilize the Russian economy.

The bleak assessments from two senior officials align with the forecast of many experts that Russia faces a steep economic downturn as its inventory of imported goods and parts runs low. How Russians react to the financial hardships resulting from Mr. Putin’s invasion of Ukraine will determine in part whether anything can weaken the Russian leader’s grip on power or sap support for the war.

Russia’s economy has avoided a crippling collapse for now, but more sanctions are on the way that would further increase the economic pain. The European Union is formulating a plan to curb imports of Russian oil. And Treasury Secretary Janet L. Yellen is expected to call on American allies to increase economic pressure on Russia at the spring meetings of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund in Washington this week, according to a Treasury official.

Estimates from international financial organizations of the contraction in the Russian economy range from 10 to 15 percent. On Monday, the Russian central bank said on its website that consumer prices on average were 16.7 percent higher than they were a year ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/18/world/europe/russian-economy-bleak-assessments.html

Russian central bank says the real pain comes in Q2/Q3.

The Russian economy has made it through the first blow caused by the sanctions imposed by the war in Ukraine, according to the president of the Russian Central Bank, Elvira Nabiullina. But she warned representatives at the Duma this Monday that the country’s reserves are near their end, and the real crisis will hit between the second and third quarter this year. Hours after Nabiullina sounded the alert, Vladimir Putin himself rejected her warning. “Russia has resisted unprecedented pressure. The situation is stabilizing,” the head of state said in a press conference about the country’s economic situation.

https://english.elpais.com/economy-and-business/2022-04-19/russias-central-bank-says-that-the-economy-will-plummet-in-the-second-trimester-and-putin-is-ignoring-the-warning.html

We need these guys to be eating out of tin cans right now for this to work.

Well, I suppose there's upside to this... "Vladimir Putin himself rejected her warning. “Russia has resisted unprecedented pressure. The situation is stabilizing,” the head of state said in a press conference about the country’s economic situation."

I will all just come crashing down because they the Tsar has not done anything to prevent it.

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Reason why he’s grabbing the table so hard?

Someone needs to give Vlad the same "bright side" analogy I gave my great-grandmother when she came down with Parkinson's. You can always get a job at Sherwin-Williams shaking paint.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

Someone needs to give Vlad the same "bright side" analogy I gave my great-grandmother when she came down with Parkinson's. You can always get a job at Sherwin-Williams shaking paint.

CHIEF

I guess that was a more politic suggestion than telling her that she could make $50 a pop giving no-effort handies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I guess that was a more politic suggestion than telling her that she could make $50 a pop giving no-effort handies.

If I would have suggested that, she would have taken her left hand and held her right forearm steady, and slapped the piss out of me.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

My Great Uncle, upon being diagnosed with Parkinson's, said he was going to buy a Shaky's Pizza franchise.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1