Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In terms of us providing planes, the rules of war are not always rational. We didn't attack China during the Vietnam War, even though China was supplying North Vietnam. However I imagine that we communicated clear lines to China on the limits of their involvement. I'm sure China also pushed the boundaries of those limits.

And before anyone replies, I know China supplied planes to North Vietnam. I wasn't referring to planes.

Here's the thing with China, we are playing footsie.  They know, and we know now, if it comes to a land war we will whip their asses so hard, they'll be wiping last weeks shit while this weeks rations are being shipped in.  They have infinite foot soldiers though.  what they don't have is infinite breeding capacity. 

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

In all seriousness, is Putin backed into the corner enough to blame these fires/explosions in Moscow on Ukraine, NATO or the US?

Hell, you ought to be asking whether these are "false flag" attacks by Russia itself, just like its attack on a Moscow apartment building to justify brutal action in Chechnya.  That's a real possibility.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hell, you ought to be asking whether these are "false flag" attacks by Russia itself, just like its attack on a Moscow apartment building to justify brutal action in Chechnya.  That's a real possibility.

Well, that's kind of what I meant.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I was wondering this myself but even if it is then it's the stupidest false flag ever (and false flag ops are stupid to begin with). 

"Let's blow up our ability to make war in order to justify this war."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Novak thinks it's "crazy" that Wimbledon is banning Russia and Belarusian players. Oh yea, Novak is a Serb. Serbs love Russia.

This is the Lithuanian response when the Serb team didn't want to hold a Stop War flag before the game. Crowd chanted Fuck you Serbia.

So yea, Fuck Novak, Fuck Serbia.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/tvflgm/serbian_basketball_team_didnt_hold_the_stop_war/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here's the thing with China, we are playing footsie.  They know, and we know now, if it comes to a land war we will whip their asses so hard, they'll be wiping last weeks shit while this weeks rations are being shipped in.  They have infinite foot soldiers though.  what they don't have is infinite breeding capacity. 

It won’t get to a land war if we never get to touch their soil.  Hence their investment in the navy, carrier killers, ballistic missiles, controlling the South China Sea, area denial / anti-access, etc.  Conversely the Marines are undergoing a major transition into a more dispersed fighting force converting landing ships to mini-carriers housing F35’s, USAF is practicing operations from austere airfields / longer range A2A weapons, etc.  

Been interesting read the US pivot from urban infantry operations in the GWoT to the possibility of engaging China on the same wide-open pacific environment their great-grandfathers island hopped across.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I was wondering this myself but even if it is then it's the stupidest false flag ever (and false flag ops are stupid to begin with). 

"Let's blow up our ability to make war in order to justify this war."

You think they only have one place for missile development?

The Wimbledon ban won't change anything but rather I imagine their motivation was to prevent a scene when someone will start heckling the players about the war. I don't see it as some grand gesture about stopping the war.

If the heckling occurs, then Wimbledon puts themselves in a spot of protecting the Russian/Belarusian players by kicking out the peace activist. That is a bad look.

I can understand why Wimbledon would rather take a few hits by someone like Novak now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Wimbledon ban won't change anything but rather I imagine their motivation was to prevent a scene when someone will start heckling the players about the war. I don't see it as some grand gesture about stopping the war.

If the heckling occurs, then Wimbledon puts themselves in a spot of protecting the Russian/Belarusian players by kicking out the peace activist. That is a bad look.

I can understand why Wimbledon would rather take a few hits by someone like Novak now.

I would think that no company, entity, or person is going to be wrong supporting Ukraine and peace if it means pissing off a few Russians/Serbs/Belarusians along the way.

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Unfortunately yeah.

My guess is that they work about as good as their reactive tank armor.  100 megatons seems like overkill vs spreading out several smaller bombs.   Also tend to believe that payloads are greater than advertised.  

World Sport is an arena where a country's national teams, or players that are citizens, can gain public accolades and bring honor and glory to their country.

This has been especially true for Russia, since an integral part of putin's plan has been to sports-wash Russia's checkered past and make them appear palatable and benign, as just another friendly European nation.  There have still been plenty of problems with this approach but I think it's undeniable that it worked to a certain extent, which is one reason why so many people around the globe are now surprised that Russia has been such a terrible aggressor against Ukraine.

So, under the current circumstances, allowing Russians to gain honor and glory is completely unacceptable, and this is why they are not allowed to compete.  It's rare when so many countries are aligned on the actions of one specific instigator, but this is one of those cases.

• Hook 'Em 3

For you artillery types, those Paladins and German SP Guns look like they have a bit of armor on them.   Does is offer real protection?  I thought the men working them fired them from outside?  Is is possible to shoot them from inside or is the noise shock just too much?  

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It will be our fault or natos fault or ukraines fault or all 3 in a worldwide conspiracy. 
can’t be due to Russian idiocy, that doesn’t exist in Russian government.

I mean these are kinda obviously the result of ops on our side, and any argument to the contrary needs just a few neurons firing to go away.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

In all seriousness, is Putin backed into the corner enough to blame these fires/explosions in Moscow on Ukraine, NATO or the US?

They found his FSB was going to blow up Russian apartment buildings and blame it on Chechen activists or something.  Of course he's going to blame this on us.

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

For you artillery types, those Paladins and German SP Guns look like they have a bit of armor on them.   Does is offer real protection?  I thought the men working them fired them from outside?  Is is possible to shoot them from inside or is the noise shock just too much?  

Why would you have mobile artillery on tracks that you have to get out of to shoot?  They probably have enough armor to withstand close artillery and the 25/30mm cannons on IFV but not enough to go head to head with a tank or withstand an artillery direct hit.

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i'm annoyed that the russian economy isn't a total wasteland already.  if we were cut off completely from foreign trading we'd be in a depression in 48 hours.  i don't really get it.

NYT says its contracted 10-15%.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/18/world/europe/russian-economy-bleak-assessments.html

Russian central bank says the real pain comes in Q2/Q3.

https://english.elpais.com/economy-and-business/2022-04-19/russias-central-bank-says-that-the-economy-will-plummet-in-the-second-trimester-and-putin-is-ignoring-the-warning.html

We need these guys to be eating out of tin cans right now for this to work.

Largest economy in the world will feel the pain faster than a 3rd world economy.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, rpspeed said:

Putin calls off plan to storm Mariupol plant, opts for blockade instead

Putin, in a Kremlin meeting with Sergei Shoigu, his defence minister, gave the order to call off the plan to storm it, saying it was better to save the lives of Russian soldiers and officers and to sit back and wait while Ukrainian forces ran out of supplies

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-cancels-russian-plans-storm-mariupol-steel-plant-opts-blockade-instead-2022-04-21/

Putin's smarter than Santa Anna?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Was her name Mary Anne by any chance?

No, Willie Mae. Her father thought she was going to be a boy, but surprise. They were the previous owners of the big dairy that my cousin now owns. During WWII, she had German POWs that did the milking while she went, each night, to wire B-24s at Convair in Ft. Worth. She and my great-grandfather actually sponsored some Ukrainians in the 1950's. They came over and worked for them for about three years, then, they were granted US citizenship. A majority of that family now lives in Salt Lake City.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Brave, but all these head of state visits to Kyiv still seem like a game of, uh,...Russian Roulette.

I would assume it times well with arms shipments. Dissuading the Russians from trying missile strikes out of fear of hitting a head of state and invoking Article 5.

3 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Two in one day seems kind of like saboteurs. Particularly when the large explosion in Belgorod last week was geo located as the AO chemical and pharmaceutical plant.

Another chemical plant was reportedly hit yesterday.  Wonder if these are the one that produce the chemical weapons?

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Why would you have mobile artillery on tracks that you have to get out of to shoot?  They probably have enough armor to withstand close artillery and the 25/30mm cannons on IFV but not enough to go head to head with a tank or withstand an artillery direct hit.

CSB, there's a company in Round Rock that will put a sensor in that thing, to monitor heat and shock on the barrel to make sure it fires accurately again.  Used to be known as "weed engineering" but that didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Don't know about German stuff, but the Paladins have aluminum armor, which is good for small arms and some shrapnel (basically not exposing their ammo to the open elements), but not much else.  They are designed to shoot and scoot, and stay with (but move behind) the armored formations so in theory they shouldn't encounter indirect fire (plus they have counter-battery radars, etc.).

They are fired from inside, but can be fired from the outside.  If you want to see the inside of them, and them being fired, check this:

• Hook 'Em 2