Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit, if the Ukrainians are getting M142 HIMARS in decent numbers from us, that's going to fuck up the Russians like nobody's business - they would be hard to target by Russian aircraft, and would be waste to try and hit with cruise missiles since they are mobile.  And they have a helluva range - up to 300 miles or so.

Wonder if they will be hunting Russian generals with them.

NATO to Russia:

you-done-you-know-it.gif

• Drool 1

Holy shit, if the Ukrainians are getting M142 HIMARS in decent numbers from us, that's going to fuck up the Russians like nobody's business - they would be hard to target by Russian aircraft, and would be waste to try and hit with cruise missiles since they are mobile.  And they have a helluva range - up to 300 miles or so.
Wonder if they will be hunting Russian generals with them.

Even if you had to fire all 6 missiles, can you take out another Russian ship with this?

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yes, and all along I think that was the goal. Go as far as the Dnieper and consolidate. Create a buffer state that can always be threatened. 

That's the lie Putin's saying, now. But it's not what their goal was all along. Their goal was to quick invade and install a puppet government, on the way to hitting a few more countries.

It's also not a lie the Russians are accepting, because their propaganda has been too effective; the Russian people are not willing to settle for this.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh.  Weird.  Trying to reconcile that with this:

So, they were split on adopting the rule for it (and I don't even know what that rule is), but then voted for the actual act unanimously?  Seems odd, but it's Congress, so.....

4 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Haha, yeah pretty much, threw me too.

Edit: Looks like the Rule was opposed by some because it contains a separate provision extending authority to stop some other mechanisms that could be used to delay other bills, which some didn't agree to. That's as far as CR I want to get with it.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

@Bateshorn can probably explain it to us like we are 5

Tl;Dr The Rule is the mechanism to bring the resolution to the floor, and set the rules of debate on the underlying bill at hand.  The rule votes are almost always party line, because the minority is usually put out about not being able to offer an amendment or motion to recommit that the majority doesn’t want to expose its vulnerable members to. 

In the House, the majority sets the the rules for everything: budgets, committees, floor procedure, etc, each new Congress. Unlike the Senate, which has preset rules, that tend to carry over from Congress to congress. The minority has very little leeway on anything and is frequently upset they are being treated like shit. Which they are. But at least they aren’t a bunch of sleepy old geezers like the Senate.

I’m a House guy all the way.  I’d rather throw hands in the cloakroom and lose every vote then suffer through endless quorum calls because tradition. 
Captain America Avengers GIF

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Holy crap.  They're gonna actually do it.

87F9CE58-BCEC-4FD2-8340-AC18ABC393F3.jpeg.87f8d45e4b1ce4039b5e5714621b6cdc.jpeg

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders — the most famous of which is, “Never get involved in a land war in Ukraine trying to prevent a land bridge to Moldova — but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Russian when death is on the line”! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• Haha 1

I'm trying to figure out how Russia is planning to attack Moldova.  I saw somewhere that they have about 1500 Russian troops in Transnistria.  I don't know how many soldiers are in the Moldovan Army, but it seems to me they have to have enough to at least bloody them up.  Moldova is landlocked, so an amphibious assault would have to go through Ukrainian territory west of Odessa, which they have not been able to take by land or sea.  Ukraine has to have some of those Neptune missiles ready to greet them, and Russia has never shown any competence at amphibious operations. 

An airborne assault would involve flying over Ukrainian or Romanian territory.  Ukraine has already shown an aptitude for shooting down aircraft of all sorts, so that's very iffy.  I can't imagine that they would try Romanian airspace, nor that Romania would allow it.

I guess Russia can hit Moldova with ballistic and cruise missiles, but that takes the focus off of their operations in Ukraine and use weapons that are already getting to be in short supply.  That doesn't get boots on the ground, so Russia would really hold nothing.  Someone tell me how it makes any sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I guess Russia can hit Moldova with ballistic and cruise missiles, but that takes the focus off of their operations in Ukraine and use weapons that are already getting to be in short supply.  That doesn't get boots on the ground, so Russia would really hold nothing.  Someone tell me how it makes any sense.

Putin would be dumb enough to shoot cruise missiles at Moldova, because hey, let's terrorize people rather than, oh, I don't know, use them against Ukrainian military targets.

Maybe he is thinking that Ukraine will somehow move some forces from the east over to that area, but doubtful - Western Ukraine is constantly monitored from the air, and has a lot of SAMs of all ranges (gotta protect the supply depots/links to Poland/etc.)  so any aircraft would be picked up quickly, and the Ukrainian Migs or missiles would make short work of them, 

I think it's more of a diversion.  Moldova should take the opportunity to move against them though, because there's no way the Russians could easily reinforce those 1,500.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I am trying to figure out who the fuck this wackadoodle story is supposed to be directed towards?

clearly the UKa arent gonna even waste their time with this drivel.. but Russia are trying to tell someone, somewhere that the US and Poland are going to invade UKa???

like back in 1939 when Russia took the east half of Poland and Germany got the west half?

is this supposed to be some sort of rando peace offering.... OK AMERICA YOU HAVE ALL OF UKRAINE WEST OF THE DANUBE, RUSSIA GETS THE REST????

A lot of things you can classify as diarrhea of the mouth but this just straight diarrhea of the mind. Really this Ruskie dumbassery should be posted in the shart thread.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wish I had the monopoly on selling flares and chaff to the Russian Air Force.  Seems like every Russian aircraft is popping off everything they've got when they make their attacks.  They are fucking terrified of MANPADs.

Those flares won't mean shit to that Brit laser guided system.  Chaff might, though.

Not sure if this legit, sounds a bit too articulate and dismal for a Russian volunteer, but does give a lot of details about the defensive tactics used on the UA side. Covers a bunch of the initial attacks of the war and how his BTG ended up shredded.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I am trying to figure out who the fuck this wackadoodle story is supposed to be directed towards?

clearly the UKa arent gonna even waste their time with this drivel.. but Russia are trying to tell someone, somewhere that the US and Poland are going to invade UKa???

like back in 1939 when Russia took the east half of Poland and Germany got the west half?

is this supposed to be some sort of rando peace offering.... OK AMERICA YOU HAVE ALL OF UKRAINE WEST OF THE DANUBE, RUSSIA GETS THE REST????

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Just like everybody else, I saw it coming a mile away.  But damned if it still wasn't a jump-scare when it actually did happen.

And here's the thing--these things happen in wartime.  This, the collision between to Russian helicopters that we saw a couple pages back, the accidental driving of tanks into creeks that we've seen a couple times--these accidents are going to happen when you have young men working with heavy (and often explosive) machinery in high-stress conditions with little sleep.  It happens to our military.  A huge percentage of American deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan were from mishaps.  It almost certainly happens more in the Russian military due to the lower levels of training.  But still--it's an unavoidable thing.

But they almost always happen behind the lines.  So when the Ukrainians put out their estimates of Russian deaths, they're not accounting for these.  Now, they're probably overestimating deaths.  But that overestimation is offset in whole or in part by the actual accidental deaths that can't be counted in the Ukrainian figures.

Christ almighty, it's like I'm sitting here talking about the legislative process with my brother's kids or something, you nerve-racking sons of bitches.

This was the plan I raised in January.  If Putin were half the statesman Stalin was, he'd have offered to partition Ukraine and Moldova with Poland, Slovakia, and Romania.  Basically offer them to undo the Soviet aggression of 1939-40.  Poland gets northwestern Ukraine (including the city of Lvov).  Romania gets back Moldova (less Transnistria) and Bukovina.  Slovakia gets back Carpatho-Ruthenia.  Russia gets the rest plus Transnistria.  

It's a good partition--Poland probably would've jumped at it.  And then you turn members of Nato into co-conspirators, which suddenly makes it very difficult for the United States and the rest of Nato to effectively oppose the partition.  

But the time for that kind of statecraft is passed.  Putin fucked up, and there are no do-overs.

Modern Poland was never going to go for that. It was always wackadoodle, and it was never real, it’s narrative setting in Russia. Putin has recast this as a continuation of the Great Patriotic War. If there’s one thread that runs through the propaganda, it’s that one.  A couple nights ago Solovyov was on TV complaining that the entire West was renazified. 

The Soviets always had a tough time explaining the partition of Poland.  They ultimately settled (still do) on the idea that the Soviets weren’t strong enough to beat Hitler in 1939 so they saved all of Poland they could by annexing the East, and bought time to fight Hitler later.  I wish I was not accurately explaining Russian propaganda. 

The U.S. is not playing its assigned role, but the next best thing is to just say that we’re planning to do it.  So that’s what this is.  The Nazis aren’t just in Ukraine, Russia has to save as much of Ukraine as it can before the Western Nazis come in and make life hell for everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dimyh said:

Not sure if this legit, sounds a bit too articulate and dismal for a Russian volunteer, but does give a lot of details about the defensive tactics used on the UA side. Covers a bunch of the initial attacks of the war and how his BTG ended up shredded.

Please get that I am not excusing anything by saying this: but the war crimes are more understandable when some soldier was subjected to that.  After a month of seeing 90% of your unit and friends killed, some crazed survivors w/20 days of 24-7 combat and freezing would go wild on anything Ukrainian.     Seems to be a universal in that situation. 

• Like 1

Putin would be dumb enough to shoot cruise missiles at Moldova, because hey, let's terrorize people rather than, oh, I don't know, use them against Ukrainian military targets.
Maybe he is thinking that Ukraine will somehow move some forces from the east over to that area, but doubtful - Western Ukraine is constantly monitored from the air, and has a lot of SAMs of all ranges (gotta protect the supply depots/links to Poland/etc.)  so any aircraft would be picked up quickly, and the Ukrainian Migs or missiles would make short work of them, 
I think it's more of a diversion.  Moldova should take the opportunity to move against them though, because there's no way the Russians could easily reinforce those 1,500.

This was my thought. Moldova might be able to solve its Transnistria problem.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1