Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Going to party like it's 1994?

I’m not an economist, but I don’t see how Russia is only going to have a ~8-12% GDP reduction this year. I definitely don’t understand the Russian economy, but I understand moving product, and when your biggest customers stop buying, shit goes bad fast. Here’s some year 2020 GDP reductions. Those 12-18% numbers sound more like what I think Russia is cruising for. Lose most of your external revenue that props everything up and have to rely on crappy internal economics, FAFO.

e8448c49b60b6c7c8d1b5dd41b77b6c9.png
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, 686 said:

I’m not an economist, but I don’t see how Russia is only going to have a ~8-12% GDP reduction this year. I definitely don’t understand the Russian economy, but I understand moving product, and when your biggest customers stop buying, shit goes bad fast. Here’s some year 2020 GDP reductions. Those 12-18% numbers sound more like what I think Russia is cruising for. Lose most of your external revenue that props everything up and have to rely on crappy internal economics, FAFO.

Agreed.  They benefit from (some) higher oil prices, and they are still selling plenty of oil.

Where they get screwed is the sanctions that affect various other industries (say they can't get the components to build larger goods such as vehicles) as well as their defense companies focusing on trying to replace what they lose rather than exporting - they are closing in on three years' worth of tank production being lost in Ukraine for instance.  And because they are having to hold military exports back to replenish their own stuff, and because their top-of-the-line military hardware is looking like shit on the battlefield, their defense industry is going to lose a lot of future sales to the Chinese and other countries.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 686 said:

e8448c49b60b6c7c8d1b5dd41b77b6c9.png

Let me tell you about propaganda number comrade!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

She’s got a little something going on

I would say Bonnie was one of the US’s first sex symbols (in a modern sense). She was hot, photogenic, had style, and a ride-or-die / “F the banks” attitude that spoke to the zeitgeist. That’s probably a big reason why they made it so long, the LEOs kinda dug her to a degree and didn’t really want to gun down the “it girl” of the time.

Good trigger discipline too.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Agreed.  They benefit from (some) higher oil prices, and they are still selling plenty of oil.
Where they get screwed is the sanctions …and because their top-of-the-line military hardware is looking like shit on the battlefield, their defense industry is going to lose a lot of future sales to the Chinese and other countries.

This is where I’m at, they may still sell 80%+ of their usual amount of O&G, but they are still losing a good amount of top line revenue there, I’d guess at least 10-20%. Then the supply chain of everything else being screwed, setting money on fire in Ukraine, ~30k dead soldiers, exposing their tech is shit, etc. It will take decades for Russia to recover (probably never to reach this strength of military numbers again).

The skimming of oligarchs may go down this year, injecting a hidden revenue stream back into the economy. Every billion counts at this point.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Long cat thread in progress from Trent Telenko that UKR is using Uber/Lyft style GIS software for artillery targeting. UKR is able to return fire in 30 seconds by algorithms automatically assigning the task to the closest assets. US Forces need 5 minutes.

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1523791140478386176

My God that's incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1

Getting back to crossing streams and GIS algarthyms 

3 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Long cat thread in progress from Trent Telenko that UKR is using Uber/Lyft style GIS software for artillery targeting. UKR is able to return fire in 30 seconds by algorithms automatically assigning the task to the closest assets. US Forces need 5 minutes.

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1523791140478386176

Getting back to this, the earlier crossing the streams talk, and finishing Telenko's piece UKR practices a similar concept in their return fire. They can do TOT(target of total area) think the pix from the last 24 hours of the artillery grid shelled empty fields. Since, they have the RU equipment from back in the day they dug into the software. So, instead of the massed artillery RU uses for TOT UKR does it from a bunch of different locations with only 3 shell bursts from each artillery piece so the RU radar doesn't lock in on anything as a worthy high value target for MRLS.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Parliament said:

How often do they move their pieces around? How long does a move take?

After every fire mission. The new Swedish archer system can stop, set up, fire 3 rounds, and leave in under 75 seconds. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

This inventive use of airpower reveals that the Ukrainians might even have a more sophisticated understanding of air operations than even many NATO countries, which take their dominance of the air for granted. What the Ukrainians have done—contesting the skies against a richer, more powerful enemy on the cheap—is extremely difficult. The West has much to learn from Ukraine’s successes, Deptula told us. “We have become so dominant in the air that we have never had to think through how we would use airpower if we were the inferior force,” he said. “Ukraine is posing us some very interesting questions that we should seriously consider, if only to understand how a clever opponent would take us on.”

From The Atlantic

Taiwan (and China knowing Taiwan is doing this):

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

Well, we know the Russians are lobbing shells indiscriminately. Primarily at residential areas. All those millions flung at grannies and kids that won't shoot back. He's burning up his stock in stupidity.

I'm betting the frontline guys are pulling back whether the officers call for it or not. Who do you want to risk getting shot by? The Ukr from a distance or that Chechen fucker at your back that you might get first.

Those long range howitzers are coming. 310 dudes trained already. That offensive we heard about is gonna be the Ukes.

Exclusive from 
@InformNapalm
 . How the racists tried to cross the Seversky Donets again. 1/4

"Brief description of the photo: the rashists continue to try to cross the Seversky Donets. But once again unsuccessfully. The tank was hit first. The crew was wounded, tried to swim back, but most likely drowned. Then the tank or infantry fighting vehicle was destroyed, which had just started to drive onto the pontoon.. .2/4

3/4 ... Took a hit, slid off the pontoon and rolled onto its side. The crew drowned, the corpse of one of the crew members floats nearby. The BMK-MT tugboat was destroyed next. The rest of the equipment began to turn around and retreat from the crossing ...

4/4 ...Ukrainian artillery began to work on it. After some time, the Russians tried to drag the first wrecked tank, but lost the BREM-1. A shell lay nearby and one of the sections of the pontoon bridge, having received a hole under the weight of the BREM-1, went under water with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Photos from the settlements of Kharkiv region - Mala Rohan, Vilkhivka, Biskvitne. All of them were occupied almost from the first days of the war and released in late March.

Ukrainian flag over the Azovstal plant, where the city's defenders have been defending for more than 70 days.

^Reminds me of the National Anthem

• Hook 'Em 4

56 minutes ago, Parliament said:

That's what they have?  I presumed it was towed artillery.

They have both SPGs and towed. They have the old Soviet shit plus France is sending (sent?) their Cesar SPGs. The Dutch & Germans are sending Panzerhaubitze 2000s. We sent towed but just as importantly are sending a lot of 155 ammo. Soviets used 152. 

There was website posted here a few days ago saying the Crimean Bridge was going to be destroyed on May 9th.  Sadly, it looks like that didn't happen, but I'm pretty sure it will when the time is right.

It doesn't take a military genius to see the danger to the Russians position if the Ukraine forces, with all the new heavy equipment they are getting, can drive the 50 miles to Mariupol and and cut the overland route to Crimea.  If that happened, everything in southern Ukraine (including Crimea) has to be resupplied by sea or that bridge.    I'm pretty sure knocking the bridge out would then be a priority.  It'll be awesome when it happens.  

methode2Ftimes2Fprod2Fweb2Fbin2F630b0bda 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

There was website posted here a few days ago saying the Crimean Bridge was going to be destroyed on May 9th.  Sadly, it looks like that didn't happen, but I'm pretty sure it will when the time is right.

It doesn't take a military genius to see the danger to the Russians position if the Ukraine forces, with all the new heavy equipment they are getting, can drive the 50 miles to Mariupol and and cut the overland route to Crimea.  If that happened, everything in southern Ukraine (including Crimea) has to be resupplied by sea or that bridge.    I'm pretty sure knocking the bridge out would then be a priority.  It'll be awesome when it happens.  

I’m not sure Ukraine has the necessary assets to take out the bridge, but it would be a real shame if someone paid a few million dollars for a large ship or two to accidentally crash into it.  

40 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’m not sure Ukraine has the necessary assets to take out the bridge, but it would be a real shame if someone paid a few million dollars for a large ship or two to accidentally crash into it.  

Unfortunately I agree with you but it would be great to take it out in a way to block navigation of straights too. 

OTH, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel includes tunnel sections to prevent Norfolk from being denied access to the Atlantic if the bridge was destroyed.

14 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

This inventive use of airpower reveals that the Ukrainians might even have a more sophisticated understanding of air operations than even many NATO countries, which take their dominance of the air for granted. What the Ukrainians have done—contesting the skies against a richer, more powerful enemy on the cheap—is extremely difficult. The West has much to learn from Ukraine’s successes, Deptula told us. “We have become so dominant in the air that we have never had to think through how we would use airpower if we were the inferior force,” he said. “Ukraine is posing us some very interesting questions that we should seriously consider, if only to understand how a clever opponent would take us on.”

From The Atlantic

Finnish volunteers are pretty critical of American volunteers never really having trained for not having air superiority, much less experienced it before, as the Finns assume they won't have air superiority and train to that. When the Finns got to the first volunteer training base they were shocked at neatly lined up tents and went and dug foxholes in the forest at the amusement of everyone else then that base was struck and the neat rows of tents were abandoned for foxholes in the forest.

• Hook 'Em 3