Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Shaking up more general staff, although I'm not sure why they'd shake up the VDV - the VDV did a shitload of the early fighting and breakthroughs, and took tremendous casualties. I would think they'd be more concerned about the units who came in later and started deserting, or those Chechen tik-tok idiots.

As much as I bitch about social media, they have their gems.

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

@AUS-97HORN or somebody else commented on using aircraft weapons on pickup trucks earlier.

Looks like it's happening.  This is so hillbilly-ish.

So which auto manufacturer is going to be the first to get a sponsorship and commercial campaign out of this

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

@AUS-97HORN or somebody else commented on using aircraft weapons on pickup trucks earlier.

Looks like it's happening.  This is so hillbilly-ish.

I was talking about putting NEPTUNE, anti ship missiles on either aircraft or a pickup truck driving to Crimea to cut down on the KM between the Crimea fleet and Odessa.  Supposedly the Neptunes have a 200Km max distance ( assume really only 170 based on real world use).... the would need to make up about 80Km... which they could do from a plane going towards Crimea or that hillbilly rig you posted outside of Kherson.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shaking up more general staff, although I'm not sure why they'd shake up the VDV - the VDV did a shitload of the early fighting and breakthroughs, and took tremendous casualties. I would think they'd be more concerned about the units who came in later and started deserting, or those Chechen tik-tok idiots.

As much as I bitch about social media, they have their gems.

OK which one of you guys is Ben Green?

Also, x,x,1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I’d lay odds the Russians don’t know where all the Russian nukes are.

Let's assume for a moment that you were wrong. Even if they knew exactly where their missiles are located, do they have anyone who'd know how to operate them? Are they even maintained? I get a feeling that most of the Cold War-era guys who had those skills are dead or near-death by now.

I know it's a very high stakes bluff to call, but they're acting very aggy, which is exactly what one would expect if 90% their nuclear arsenal were non-operational and the remaining missiles were being managed by incompetent fools 

8 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Starting to look like RU got suckered into Azov Steel 2.0, in Severodonetsk, to run clock until UKR can go on the offensive.

All signs point to Kherson.

Russians seem to be trying to pin down Ukrainians in the north to keep them from moving on Kherson, including possibly making another go at Kharkiv.

Chicken and egg scenario almost - Russians spread themselves thin trying to tie up Ukrainian units in the north, which leaves Russian units around Kherson spread thin, which makes for an inviting target.

When this is all over, hopefully we'll get some solid books out of the behind-the-scenes stuff and Ukraine's strategies.  I've read a couple of things about Ukrainians will soon have a shitload of freshly (and properly) trained troops, who started training up in February/March.  I don't know if it's people who joined up after February 24th, or if it's their reserve/territorial forces that they are training up.  I've seen some numbers say 100,000 - 200,000+, but I've also reports that mentioned Ukraine had thrown some untrained folks into battle.  Even a few tens of thousands of troops who have been training since Feb/March would be an game changer on the battlefield.

18 hours ago, The Dog said:

This is a great article. Having seen the operation on the Rzeszow side first hand (albeit at the very beginning, about 1.5 weeks in), the scale of what’s happening and the complexity is on full display.  Really a testimony to the combined capabilities of NATO Allies especially with Polish will involved.  

I hate this war, but I am very glad that it has made educated westerners and Americans to put defense and strategic issues on the front burner.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

not sure most reading this translated communcation dispatch clearly caught the most interesting word in the dispatch, repeated twice; Zampolit

that was the name of the USSR political officer (loyal to the communist party only) always assigned as either Co-commander, or 2nd in command of every single branch of the Soviet military. 

Every single Russian warship had a political officer with the power to remove the commander and take command at any time they felt the commander wasnt acting in the service of the soviet union.  The army had the same set up, but its a lot tougher to take command of a Batallion only when the Brigade above and the company below are still being led by supposedly career army officers.  

The army had them too, but not as famous, and probably only assigned to no lower than company level command (and maybe just half-batallion).

Technically they could have been assigned as a platoon leader, but that would have required literally every single platoon in the entire russian army to have a completely superfluous extra officer.  

but this soldier flat out saying they still have an active fucking zampolit means that even now the russian army is actively  reverting back to the soviet union's heirarchy

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

It’s clear that this whole thing is about Putin still being butt hurt over the loss of the Cold War and his desire to restore the old USSR. 

Looks like the battle for Kherson is going to start soon and due to their myopic focus on Sveredonetsk, the Russians appear unprepared. Very nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

Remember the tugboat that was sunk while running supplies?  This should scare the shit out of the Russians. From WSJ

The Ukrainian navy struck a Russian tugboat in the Black Sea with a Harpoon antiship missile system provided by the West, as Russian invasion forces intensified airstrikes and shelling in the eastern Ukrainian city of Severodonetsk, Ukrainian officials said.

The strike on the Vasiliy Bekh tugboat is the first time Ukrainian officials have acknowledged deploying the Harpoon systems, which have been sent by the U.K. and Denmark. The U.S. said this week it would donate two additional American-made Harpoon systems to Ukraine as part of a fresh $1 billion military-assistance package.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not the financial whiz but here are some articles about the state of the Russian economy. While holding steady in the short term, the long term prospects look bleak. Unfortunately its not going to be an immediate deterioration and I'm still worried that EU/US doesn't have the appetite to keep up sanctions for a conclusive victory.

CEO of Sberbank (Russia) already describing a decade long recovery to reach pre-sanctions levels.

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/GLOBAL-PORTS-HOLDING-PLC-34897151/news/Russian-economy-may-need-a-decade-to-return-to-pre-sanctions-levels-Sberbank-says-40752045/

(Reuters) - Russia's economy may need a decade to return to the pre-sanctions levels of 2021, the chief executive of the country's top bank Sberbank said on Friday, as economic curbs have cut the country off from half of its trade.

Western nations imposed economic sanctions on Russia, the most severe a nation in a modern history has faced, after Moscow sent troops to Ukraine on Feb. 24 calling it "special military operation".

Russian assets took an immediate hit and consumer prices have soared, prompting authorities to introduce capital controls, hike the key rate and curb foreign investors' ability to sell their assets in Russia.

German Gref, whose bank is seen as a proxy for the Russian economy by holding the majority of the household deposits and corporate loans, estimated on Friday that countries that hit Russia with sanctions accounted for 56% of its exports and 51% of imports.

"This is a threat to 15% of the country's gross domestic product, the bulk of the economy is under the fire," Gref, a former economy minister, told Russia's annual international economic forum in St Petersburg.

"As a result - and if we do nothing - we may need around a decade to return economy to the 2021 levels," Gref said, calling for structural reforming of the Russian economy.

Sanctions on Russian banks have largely curbed financial transactions with foreign counterparts while Russia is also blocked from receiving equipment and parts essential for its car, energy and air industries.

According to Gref, cargo shipments have fallen by six times while transportation by the sea and by air was also obstructed as sanctions prevented Russian airlines from flying westbound and ships under Russian flag were banned entrance to EU ports.

While admitting major setbacks, Russian officials have said that the economy is doing better than initially expected, with some flows already diversifying and higher energy prices - partially resulting from sanctions - helping the state revenues.

As European Union prepares to ditch Russian fossil fuels by 2027, Russia has re-routed over a half of its oil supplies to Asia, Alexander Dyukov, head of the country's third biggest oil producer Gazprom Neft, told the same forum.

Dmitry Pankov, chief executive with Delo Group which operates Russia's top railway cargo company Transcontainer and Global Ports firm with sea terminals in the country's north-west, far east and south, said that while the drop in cargo shipments continues, Asian clients started to emerge.

"They are not global (cargo sea) lines - mostly local operators," he told the same forum on Friday.

(Reporting by Reuters; Editing by Alison Williams)

© Reuters 2022

• Hook 'Em 2