Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Damn.  That's fucking savage dropping a grenade on a dude taking a piss.  

I remember being at a party 30+ years ago, and one of the guests was an old dude who had fought in Korea, in some battle or another where for a time, the sides were dug into foxholes in opposed positions.  After a couple of days, he realized all the men had a routine -- around 4:00 a.m, creep out of their hole to squat and take a shit.  He thought the Chinese were probably doing the same.  So, the next couple of nights, he took his shit at 3:30, then crept forward to get a good shooting position.  He'd look for a squatting silhouette, and pick the guy off.  Said he did it 3 or 4 times.  Shot a dude while he was taking a shit.  Coldblooded, man.  War is ugly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Read that book last month. Those were some hard motherfuckers. 

Yeah they were, could you imagine moving out to the far reaches of civilization, like the beautiful hill country of central Texas and creating a homestead...only to have a band of commanches roll up on you...my goodness the horror of that. 

That tribe was ruthless...I was struck by the way those scenes were articulated in the book.  I would tremble just reading the detail of how they would wipe a family off the earth in a moment (that's if you were lucky to be killed).  To be taken, my goodness the terror they must have felt.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yeah they were, could you imagine moving out to the far reaches of civilization, like the beautiful hill country of central Texas and creating a homestead...only to have a band of commanches roll up on you...my goodness the horror of that. 

That tribe was ruthless...I was struck by the way those scenes were articulated in the book.  I would tremble just reading the detail of how they would wipe a family off the earth in a moment (that's if you were lucky to be killed).  To be taken, my goodness the terror they must have felt.

G-mother tole me stories told to her by her g-mother who at the time as a small child, being locked in the cellar on a full moon, or as they called it, a "Comanche moon" while the men stood guard

Book articulated how bad it got, that it was one of the driving factors in Mexico giving much of the SW to the US; not out of goodwill, but knowing settlers would come, would act as a buffer from raiding Indians who would prey on settlers and not them.

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

G-mother tole me stories told to her by her g-mother who at the time as a small child, being locked in the cellar on a full moon, or as they called it, a "Comanche moon" while the men stood guard

Book articulated how bad it got, that it was one of the driving factors in Mexico giving much of the SW to the US; not out of goodwill, but knowing settlers would come, would act as a buffer from raiding Indians who would prey on settlers and not them.

I would have loved to hear those stories, how scary and interesting to get first hand accounts.    Yes, I thought that was interesting to read how Mexico was like fuck it. 

I know this is off topic, but I recently read Killing Jesus.  The Romans did a version of this with the Jews around the time of the life of Jesus.  They let the Jews have their religion and settlements, ways, cultures etc.. in a complete reversal to the other reaches of their empire. In some part they did this to have Israel act as a buffer between the main thrust of the Roman empire and the north of Africa (ie the Egyptian, Arab countries/armies etc..).  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I would have loved to hear those stories, how scary and interesting to get first hand accounts.    Yes, I thought that was interesting to read how Mexico was like fuck it. 

I know this is off topic, but I recently read Killing Jesus.  The Romans did a version of this with the Jews around the time of the life of Jesus.  They let the Jews have their religion and settlements, ways, cultures etc.. in a complete reversal to the other reaches of their empire. In some part they did this to have Israel act as a buffer between the main thrust of the Roman empire and the north of Africa (ie the Egyptian, Arab countries/armies etc..).  

What? No--that's not . . . that's just not right.

Judea was governed in exactly the same way the Romans governed any number of their other provinces.  The only thing that was kind of weird about it is that it was neither a senatorial nor an imperial province.  It was administered by a prefect, who was of the equestrian class, rather than a procounsul or a propraetor of the senatorial class.  But that was really the only distinction.

Throughout the provinces, the Romans were tolerant of local religious and cultural customs, so long as it didn't endanger trade and the collection of taxes.  They'd coopt the local elite, promote someone friendly to the Roman occupation to the local crown, and let the locals do whatever.  How they treated Judea was exactly how they ran Greece, Egypt, Hispania, Gaul, and all the rest.  The only weird thing about Judea was that the locals were monotheistic.  But that was only occasionally an issue (primarily under Caligula, because he was a tool).

And no--Judea wasn't a buffer between Rome and Africa.  Egypt was Rome's most valuable province and its breadbasket.  It didn't want a buffer between Egypt and Rome--Rome wanted a closer connection to Egypt.  Judea was a buffer to protect Egypt from the Parthians to the east (who were horse-borne nomads, kind of akin to the Comanches).

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

As for the switchblades, I've heard that they're not very good. So that's why you don't see many of them. They're too weak against hardened positions/vehicles, and the blast radius is too small. So after some trial runs the Ukrainians basically put them in storage. I'll see if I can refind the tweet with a quote. Apparently they're no better than a grenade. 

Read the same article. The UAF drones dropping anti-tank grenades are more effective than the switchblades plus reusable.

Another story I came across is UAF is stripping Bayraktar frames of all the fancy electronics and any transmission ability, as that is what’s being tracked via radio telemetry, and putting just a basic gps navigation control in them with a set target programmed in making them into kamikaze drones which are what are hitting stuff deep in RU territory like yesterday’s oil refinery. The stealth still works when the electronic signature tells get turned off. The electronic signatures are why UAF doesn’t think Grey Eagle drones will be of much value when AA assets haven’t been knocked out.

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I jumped off the train from St. Petersburg to Vilnius and quickly realized that “ačiū” was greeted with a smile and “spaceeba” would get my ass kicked. Circa Jan 1992.

Lithuania remained something like 93% Lithuanian during the USSR days and the hate of anything Russian is still strong today. Kids in the American school in Vilnius are complaining of "discrimination" since the invasion and the attitude is "so what? What did you expect..."

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Interesting about the Chinese - they are definitely not helping the Russians with military hardware, like Russia was asking for (while still benefitting from buying Russian oil at prices they probably set), so there's something going on.

As for the part about Severodonesk, still feels like Ukraine is gearing up for Kherson, and is daring the Russians to start moving lots of forces around. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Judea was governed in exactly the same way the Romans governed any number of their other provinces.  The only thing that was kind of weird about it is that it was neither a senatorial nor an imperial province.  It was administered by a prefect, who was of the equestrian class, rather than a procounsul or a propraetor of the senatorial class.  But that was really the only distinction.

Throughout the provinces, the Romans were tolerant of local religious and cultural customs, so long as it didn't endanger trade and the collection of taxes.  They'd coopt the local elite, promote someone friendly to the Roman occupation to the local crown, and let the locals do whatever.  How they treated Judea was exactly how they ran Greece, Egypt, Hispania, Gaul, and all the rest.  The only weird thing about Judea was that the locals were monotheistic.  But that was only occasionally an issue (primarily under Caligula, because he was a tool).

And no--Judea wasn't a buffer between Rome and Africa.  Egypt was Rome's most valuable province and its breadbasket.  It didn't want a buffer between Egypt and Rome--Rome wanted a closer connection to Egypt.  Judea was a buffer to protect Egypt from the Parthians to the east (who were horse-borne nomads, kind of akin to the Comanches).

Thanks I knew that sounded completely the opposite from my understanding of the Romans and jews

12 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I hear you on the economic/value portion.  I don't think that's why it's valuable.  The value is in the perception.  Crimea is what started the war 8 years ago, it's what will finish it now.  The loss of Crimea by the Russians will indicate to their citizens that this was an abject failure.  

My understanding is the value of Crimea is in:

1. Deepwater ports
  2. Extending the territorial waters
  3. The undeveloped O&G reserves in those territorial waters
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

1. Deepwater ports

It's all of those, but Trey's point is also key. Russia MUST lose their naval base at Sevastopol at the end of this. There is no way for Putin to spin that to the Russian population. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

/derail

Yes, this is the case once Judea came under direct Roman rule.  The Romans tried a few models out though along the way which coincided with the turbulent times surrounding Jesus’ birth and life.  The Roman Republic allowed first the Hasmoneans, then the Herodian dynasty to rule Judea as a client state after Pompey conquered Jerusalem for the Republic.  Antipater and Herod the Great were vassal kings with nominal independence and fairly extensive control over internal politics and religion till direct Roman rule was implemented in 6 AD. 

The Romans for sure had a model of client/buffer states, used most extensively in Armenia against Parthia/Persia— too much trouble to conquer and administer directly (except when the Armenians got too feisty) and a zone of competition for influence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

1. Deepwater ports

As @Pods notes, the naval facility at Sebastopol is key for Russia’s operations in the Black Sea.  Crimea is a base to conduct a naval blockade of Ukrainian ports and is a permanent aircraft carrier for strikes deep into Ukrainian territory.  There is also deep and enduring symbolism and historical memory for Russians (note— I am not justifying this), as Crimea is place where lots of Imperial and later Soviet blood was spilled to first take the peninsula and then to hold it. And finally, for years the unresolved Crimea territorial dispute was one more thing making Ukrainian integration indigestible for the West. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pods said:

It's all of those, but Trey's point is also key. Russia MUST lose their naval base at Sevastopol at the end of this. There is no way for Putin to spin that to the Russian population. 

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

As @Pods notes, the naval facility at Sebastopol is key for Russia’s operations in the Black Sea.  Crimea is a base to conduct a naval blockade of Ukrainian ports and is a permanent aircraft carrier for strikes deep into Ukrainian territory.  There is also deep and enduring symbolism and historical memory for Russians (note— I am not justifying this), as Crimea is place where lots of Imperial and later Soviet blood was spilled to first take the peninsula and then to hold it. And finally, for years the unresolved Crimea territorial dispute was one more thing making Ukrainian integration indigestible for the West. 

When I listed deep water ports I meant  Sevastopol specifically. I should have added a note about Sevastopol and spelled it out. There is the military and export aspect.
I was even more vague about the symbolic nature of taking that port and agree my fourth point should have been about the political, symbolic and national pride aspect of Crimea. The subtext being a finger to Russia. But Trey already covered the symbolic and I was adding the “real” aspects beyond the symbolic. 

I’ve been working fast at my real job and cutting communication to essential elements and I let it carry over here because I knew you all would know what I meant. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Carlin brought this up on the Wrath of the Khans series.  The parallels of "meh attitude" between the Romans & Mongols in terms of your local religions AS LONG as you were loyal, didn't cross them, and came when called upon.  

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Not good.  Heard the UA is losing close to 200 soldiers a day (KIA) with thousands more put out of action/wounded.  I know they are bleeding Russian troops as well, Zelensky stated he has millions of men, etc., but they are losing TRAINED men.  

That's been the distinction early between the Russian and UA forces.  The level of training/capability.  Heard UA replacements often have as little as 6 weeks of training before heading out.  We've seen on the Russian side what technology looks like in the hands of soldiers not properly trained to utilize it.

The momentum seems to be shifting towards the orcs.  The weather is drying out, allowing for more tracked vehicle movement and it seems the Russians are continuing to hammer the UA in a war of attrition they are better suited to win.  With Russia making insanely wild amounts of money off the elevated price of O&G, they can easily purchase much of what is being utilized in this largely conventional conflict.

The next few months are going to be telling

A short video on Kalingrad/Crimea as exclaves containing key ports along with some of the back history. Also I believe some of Russia's support in Syria was to have a friendly port accessible outside of the Bosphorus. Would be a damn shame if they lost the ability to store those rustbuckets...

I really really hope this story is true. Nothing more aggy than being foiled by a single goat.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/06/20/7353684/

Goat accidentally neutralises several invaders in Zaporizhzhia Oblast
MONDAY, 20 JUNE 2022, 21:30
0Додати у вибране
Mykhailo Zagorodniy – Monday, 20 June 2022

A nanny goat has injured several Russian servicemen by triggering their tripwires with pinned grenades in the village of Kinski Rozdory in Zaporizhzhia Oblast.

Ukraine’s Chief Intelligence Directorate has shared a curious incident that happened at a local hospital.

A total of 40 invaders have been stationed at the medical institution in Kinski Rozdory.

The Russian military installed a "circular defence" and placed tripwires around the perimeter of the hospital.

The aggressors regretted this decision after a goat from a neighbouring farm decided to pay a visit to the hospital.

As the frightened animal moved chaotically around the area, she accidentally "disposed of" several grenades.

The unexpected "guest’s" actions triggered a chain reaction, wounding several Russian soldiers to varying degrees.

It is not currently known whether the goat survived the incident.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, dimyh said:

I really really hope this story is true. Nothing more aggy than being foiled by a single goat.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/06/20/7353684/

Goat accidentally neutralises several invaders in Zaporizhzhia Oblast
MONDAY, 20 JUNE 2022, 21:30
0Додати у вибране
Mykhailo Zagorodniy – Monday, 20 June 2022

A nanny goat has injured several Russian servicemen by triggering their tripwires with pinned grenades in the village of Kinski Rozdory in Zaporizhzhia Oblast.

Ukraine’s Chief Intelligence Directorate has shared a curious incident that happened at a local hospital.

A total of 40 invaders have been stationed at the medical institution in Kinski Rozdory.

The Russian military installed a "circular defence" and placed tripwires around the perimeter of the hospital.

The aggressors regretted this decision after a goat from a neighbouring farm decided to pay a visit to the hospital.

As the frightened animal moved chaotically around the area, she accidentally "disposed of" several grenades.

The unexpected "guest’s" actions triggered a chain reaction, wounding several Russian soldiers to varying degrees.

It is not currently known whether the goat survived the incident.

battle-goat-guns-rifles-farm-1299784017V

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not good.  Heard the UA is losing close to 200 soldiers a day (KIA) with thousands more put out of action/wounded.  I know they are bleeding Russian troops as well, Zelensky stated he has millions of men, etc., but they are losing TRAINED men.  

That's been the distinction early between the Russian and UA forces.  The level of training/capability.  Heard UA replacements often have as little as 6 weeks of training before heading out.  We've seen on the Russian side what technology looks like in the hands of soldiers not properly trained to utilize it.

The momentum seems to be shifting towards the orcs.  The weather is drying out, allowing for more tracked vehicle movement and it seems the Russians are continuing to hammer the UA in a war of attrition they are better suited to win.  With Russia making insanely wild amounts of money off the elevated price of O&G, they can easily purchase much of what is being utilized in this largely conventional conflict.

The next few months are going to be telling

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Hope this is correct, but isn't the entire conflict about gaining terrain/territory?

One more tweet:

Also - remember that Ukraine is attempting to and has taken back some territory in the Kherson area. The school of thought is that Russia would do better to have reinforced defenses there rather than the focus in the Donbas. 

If the Ukrainians can retake Kherson then they can shut off water to Crimea and use it as a staging point for a potential invasion of it.

• Hook 'Em 3