Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Can Hungary be kicked out of the EU?

While both the EU and NATO have procedures to voluntarily leave, neither have procedures to kick out bad eggs.  And as both operate on consensus, adopting a procedure would require the bad egg to vote for it. 

Orban is looking at losing a few billion in EU funds due to corruption and rule of law issues, and this speech should be read partially as him lashing out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Hungary... Cracking up thinking of a bunch of transplanted Siberians who just yesterday (little more than 1,000 years) came to Europe, and then immediately mixed with everybody in the area, talking about Europe being "mixed" and/or talking about anything Europe ought to do in general.

Go build a stonehenge, Orban, you overweight jockey, then come back and talk.

Orban has also, when expedient, explicitly played up his nation’s unique Central Asian ties (that kind of exist if you squint hard enough) and cozied up to Great Game country despots.  He’s really just a sleaze bag looting his country but his schtick plays well among the room-temp IQ demographic. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Orban has also, when expedient, explicitly played up his nation’s unique Central Asian ties (that kind of exist if you squint hard enough) and cozied up to Great Game country despots.  He’s really just a sleaze bag looting his country but his schtick plays well among the room-temp IQ demographic. 

Gotta keep em riled.

I mean, technically we are currently communicating in a language with roots in either the Middle East or near Central Asia, depending on which linguist wins the knife fight. I'll be in my yurt.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2022 at 4:58 PM, RDCanecutter said:

You gotta use the Tijuana Scrip Club Phone Camera trick, brought to us by one of @Zepol87's crew:

Act like you got a call, hold the thing to your head, turn sideways and photograph.

Good that Hungary can't be kicked out just because the current leader has has shitty views and is disliked by the international community. It brings up some good points and interesting topics though. If Germany goes back to being Germany what happens? It seems like all organizations between countries should be composed of the like minded, but to what extent?

Edited by Bevo

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

everyone who spoke to Meduza for this story agreed that the Defense Ministry’s recruitment through private military companies has served as a form of “secret mobilization,” allowing the Kremlin to assemble more soldiers without upsetting the country’s domestic situation. The process has completely erased the boundary between mercenary groups, regular troops, and “volunteers.”

I’ve read at least half-a-dozen sci-fi/cyberpunk novels with characters who have this this exact background, and usually Eastern Europeans - mercenaries working for a government, etc. doing shady shit.

The current Russians just aren’t augmented in some way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I predict that on the Kherson side you are going to see two days' fighting, then Russian units start giving up like Italians in North Africa circa 1940's attack by Wavell.

You're a Russian soldier. You haven't been supplied. Your artillery is quiet. Do you want to give up to the law-abiding uniformed Ukrainian troops, or do you want to take your chances with the partisans, who know exactly what you did?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I predict that on the Kherson side you are going to see two days' fighting, then Russian units start giving up like Italians in North Africa circa 1940's attack by Wavell.

You're a Russian soldier. You haven't been supplied. Your artillery is quiet. Do you want to give up to the law-abiding uniformed Ukrainian troops, or do you want to take your chances with the partisans, who know exactly what you did?

Plus the citizens of the city will be given the exact locations of the orcs, play by play 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Is there any way Ukraine could promise Russian soldiers fair treatment if they surrender easy?  Like turn them over to the UN or Turkey or something? If moral is as bad as we hear, they might go willingly.

They are shelling hospitals, schools and apartment buildings, you can’t compromise with them, pow and exchange for your troops.

sometimes you must make an example, surrender or we will blow you up to submission 

I'm no military or foreign policy expert (despite the fact I'm Surly 1%.)  I WOULD make a strong pitch to them.  If sending them back to Russia in exchange for their surrender, I'm all in.  In my opinion, that isn't engaging in diplomacy with Russia or showing weakness.  I'm not doing it to be "nice" to Russian soldiers.  I just want the least collateral damage as possible.

I won't argue loudly for the the above.  Just throwing my opinion out there.

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'm no military or foreign policy expert (despite the fact I'm Surly 1%.)  I WOULD make a strong pitch to them.  If sending them back to Russia in exchange for their surrender, I'm all in.  In my opinion, that isn't engaging in diplomacy with Russia or showing weakness.  I'm not doing it to be "nice" to Russian soldiers.  I just want the least collateral damage as possible.

Not trying to argue here as well, what you wrote is the sensible thing to do and rational.

my opinion is that if they get turned over back to Russia, they are going to end up back in the front lines somewhere else, Russia isn’t going to let them anywhere then back in the ring. Capture them and embarrass Russia, only thing that works imo.

Orc only understand power and you have to show it, weakness with them means they will push more since they can smell it 

Wasn’t it reported that they were shooting deserters and ppl who did not want to fight?

Edited by Gengs1
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'm not doing it to be "nice" to Russian soldiers.  I just want the least collateral damage as possible.

Exactly. You don't take prisoners because you like the enemy. You take them because of your own guys who are or may become prisoners. Plus, if you force an enemy to fight to the last man, they'll likely take some of yours with them.

Not to mention the fastest way for the Ukrainians to get everybody to drop support would be to act like Serbians.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Go the middle way: take them prisoner, treat them in accordance with the Geneva Conventions, move them to safer areas of Ukraine.  And keep them unti every Russian and collaborator is out of Ukraine, and the victory is complete.  If prisoner exchanges can happen, exchange the least combat capable prisoners.  This establishes and reinforces Ukrainian humanity, and denies Russia trained veterans to put back in the lines.

Either that, or Mao's way: take them prisoner, feed them and treat them well, record their identities, and give them a short instruction on what Ukraine is fighting for.  Then release them with the warning that they would be shot if they were captured again.  That may only work in a civil war, but this may be culturally close enough to a civil war for it to work.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Russia is trying to prevent Russian soldiers from making their way back home (unless it’s in a body bag), both because they need every man in Ukraine that they can get, but also because they don’t want Russia soldiers popping up among Russian civilians and telling them what they’ve seen or done.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:45 PM, Brisketexan said:

I mean.....if drunkenly attacking street signs is now something we're shitting on, I suspect a WHOLE BUNCH of the posters 'round here are about to get a bit uncomfortable.

Not me, of course.  Other posters.

They already took down most of the Robert E Lee street signs.   😉

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Do we have money in the wreath fund?

I'm sure that Surly could come uo with some decent messages to put on some shells. 

What should we do for the Ukranian soldiers who don't want their rockets signed?