Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

23 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Same here - I got mine "restored" a few years ago and now also have an EU passport.  My kids should finish the process to get theirs as well shortly.

Yeah, that's a problem for me because of Jewish history. Supposedly, my great grandfather is from Portugal and met his wife in Ukraine and traveled to the US under an assumed name. Records suck and jews were in more like temporary villages rather than cities in eastern europe.

Hmm, good question that I should know the answer to. I was trying to get Portuguese citizenship and EU citizenship. Is Ukraine becoming a part of the EU? I could probably find my great grandmother's records (near Odessa) and it might even be straightforward. Maybe when Ukraine finally wins I can take care of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, that's a problem for me because of Jewish history. Supposedly, my great grandfather is from Portugal and met his wife in Ukraine and traveled to the US under an assumed name. Records suck and jews were in more like temporary villages rather than cities in eastern europe.

Hmm, good question that I should know the answer to. I was trying to get Portuguese citizenship and EU citizenship. Is Ukraine becoming a part of the EU? I could probably find my great grandmother's records (near Odessa) and it might even be straightforward. Maybe when Ukraine finally wins I can take care of it.

Not sure of the Ukraine rules (assuming the EU admits them eventually) and I think it's different in each EU country- in my case, restoration is based on if you can prove you had a relative who was a citizen before 1940 and it's good for 3 generations from them.  My dad was born there in 1941 but his birth wasn't "counted" and had to prove the relationship to his father.  My kids can get it and once they do, their kids will also get citizenship. 

Trying to get it done asap as EU citizenship opens up a ton of University opportunities (like free!) for EU citizens and wife and I can retire anywhere in the EU and full private medical is like $3000/year (as opposed to $3K a year here) and is an option for us until we can get on Medicare back here...

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well then, you should probably run away.  Here's a photo demonstrating the proper technique:

220721-josh-hawley-2up-3x2-ac-1004p-2e41

Oh come on, if we can't have fun with that, what good is living on this planet?  Funny is funny.

And that is funny! Even better if someone can add him to the last video of all the Russians running away from the exploding train! 

My grandfather might have had the craziest right of return I’ve ever heard: he could prove his French Huguenot lineage back to an ancestor in Tidewater VA in the 1700s.  Technically he had right of return for French Citizenship due to the revocation of the Treaty of Nantes. He never gave a fuck.  Due to change in law in 1947, it died with him. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Drool 1

53 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^Better translation of the video I posted earlier.

48 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Damn. So the olds are starting to get pissed. 

I read somewhere that they were pretty harsh on vets of Afghanistan, considering them to be losers or an embarrassment.  And screwed up vets were kept out of sight.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Ok Finland, time to donate some serious weapons to Ukraine, we know Sweden doesn’t have much but you do 

No. 

There are 500,000 errrr, 250,000 ughhh, 100,000 nope, 25 Russians are going to invade Finland any day now. 
Putins not kidding this time. 

Interesting thread.  Basically, Western Europe should be doing what they are doing, and even more here in 2022, because after 2014, they helped fund Russia (and by proxy its military) by continuing to buy resources, sell products (including military), and indulging rich Russian oligarchs.

Or TLDR: If Western Europe had acted in 2014 like they are now, then we wouldn't be in this situation.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Interesting thread.  Basically, Western Europe should be doing what they are doing, and even more here in 2022, because after 2014, they helped fund Russia (and by proxy its military) by continuing to buy resources, sell products (including military), and indulging rich Russian oligarchs.
Or TLDR: If Western Europe had acted in 2014 like they are now, then we wouldn't be in this situation.

Of all people, they should have known appeasement doesn’t work.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Appeasement or making lots of money off of Russians, while saving on oil and gas?

Well, the Germans in the post Cold War world have sorta carved out a niche of looking the other way all in the pursuit of unified worker-owner commerce. 

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Kind of? As with most things in the region, it’s complicated.  In the mid-1930s the Estonian government suspended most civil rights and elections and implemented authoritarian rule. Ironically, this was in response to a coup threat from an even more fashy “League of (Tsarist Army) Veterans”, who wanted the real deal. But it’s also important to know that you could be fascist-curious in that region in the 1930s and subscribe to authoritarian ideals but be far from the race-based, blood soaked vision of the Nazis.

By 1938, the last democracy standing in Central or Eastern Europe was Czechoslovakia.  All the others had succumbed to some form of authoritarian experimentation, partly driven by the neighborhood realities and partly by the fact that most of the world was far from settled on “fascism is bad.” 

I went back and looked it up, and the UNL guy was Latvia’s head of gov’t prewar, but I think it works out about the same

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

My grandfather might have had the craziest right of return I’ve ever heard: he could prove his French Huguenot lineage back to an ancestor in Tidewater VA in the 1700s.  Technically he had right of return for French Citizenship due to the revocation of the Treaty of Nantes. He never gave a fuck.  Due to change in law in 1947, it died with him. 

Dis quoi? Didn't know about the Huguenot angle.

I'd have to dig up records on a French guy buried somewhere in Scotland in the 1600s. Prolly be faster just to join the Foreign Legion.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

How about this? I was fucking born in Germany (to US parents), have a German birth certificate and still can’t get an EU work visa!

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, statsman said:

How about this? I was fucking born in Germany (to US parents), have a German birth certificate and still can’t get an EU work visa!

US Citizen, born in Thailand. US decided no dual citizenship for Americans. Pick one or the other. Thais made me an offer when I was 18. I said no, went to UT to meet Coeds and drink at the Posse East. I wonder about that decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Dis quoi? Didn't know about the Huguenot angle.

I'd have to dig up records on a French guy buried somewhere in Scotland in the 1600s. Prolly be faster just to join the Foreign Legion.

The 1947 law ended it for descendants.  It was use it or lose it.