Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

22 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I’ve always thought a Ukrainian SF mission – which I didn’t want to say in the other blog as it was still a recent event and there was a slight OPSEC concern with me to be honest. The Ukrainian armed forces have stated it was a SF mission also.

However, the craters visible do point to a missile strike, with a good friend betting a ATACMS strike.

I think we slipped in a few ATACMS with a few special forces advisors and only people who can keep their mouth shut were involved.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I really am curious for after this conflict is over to learn more about the raid. The Ukrainians (as far as we know) committed a few missiles and some special forces to achieve a tactical knockout blow for russias air units in the region, and are adding a ton of stress to their strategic operations. 

Between this and sinking the Moskva, russia really won't have any antiair capacity left in the region, which bodes well for Ukraine's Crimean and Kherson offensives

I said it many pages ago, but losing Crimea would represent full scale loss in the minds of Russians.  Ukraine has played this very well.  They knew they'd have to give up some territorial ground in the east, so long as they could prevent Russia from advancing too far.  They also knew that Russia would advance north from Crimea, but that the Dnipro was a natural barrier to massive advancement.  Hold the line/attrite the east, prevent/stop the invasion from the north to Kyiv, and let geography do its thing in the south, then full-scale counter where it would be most psychologically damaging to Russia.  Take Crimea back, take your country back.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I said it many pages ago, but losing Crimea would represent full scale loss in the minds of Russians.  Ukraine has played this very well.  They knew they'd have to give up some territorial ground in the east, so long as they could prevent Russia from advancing too far.  They also knew that Russia would advance north from Crimea, but that the Dnipro was a natural barrier to massive advancement.  Hold the line/attrite the east, prevent/stop the invasion from the north to Kyiv, and let geography do its thing in the south, then full-scale counter where it would be most psychologically damaging to Russia.  Take Crimea back, take your country back.  

Crimea is water dependent also.   

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

it seems weird to me that losing 8 planes would bring them to their knees. 8 doesn't seem like a lot.

putin starting this war has to be the greatest military blunder ever, right?*

*i am not a military historian.

You wouldn't think so, but about 300 pages back there were a bunch of satellite photos that showed that lots of the MIGS shown on runways and tarmacs were made out of Styrofoam and painted just so it would appear that Russia had way more fighter jets than they do in reality. So realistically, who the shit knows what they have.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You wouldn't think so, but about 300 pages back there were a bunch of satellite photos that showed that lots of the MIGS shown on runways and tarmacs were made out of Styrofoam and painted just so it would appear that Russia had way more fighter jets than they do in reality. So realistically, who the shit knows what they have.  

There was also evidence that their Blue Angels equivalent group was being used for combat, which also says a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I find pretty much everything to disagree with in his thought process. 

And honestly that's fine.  I don't share much agreement with some of the conclusions, but I understand the thoughts like -

I have to admit that I am very much disheartened by the savagery of the Russian troops and leadership. They are willing to sacrifice their own indiscriminately, and even more ready to assault, torture and murder Ukrainian soldiers and civilians. And to despoil the land for generations. 

I find myself a little disturbed by my happiness in the reports of dead Russian soldiers, but it is balanced by my disgust of the Russian murderous cruelty to civilians and captured POWs.

In my case balanced would be surpassed.

It seems to me, that unless Putin were to die, the likely outcomes are either a protracted vicious war of attrition (with Ukrainian civilians doing most of the attriting), or a brutal Russian victory.

Which sucks even if it is necessary to achieve justice in the former case (let's not accept the latter as long as the Ukrainians won't).

As long as the Ukrainians are willing to keep fighting on, I support arming them as much as possible.

I marvel at their willingness to endure as much as they have so far

[some words that aren't exactly how I would put them but address dealing with Russia post-war]

Sure, I have concerns about how to deal with Russia in the future.  Does the endgame crush them like Germany after WW1 or lead to rebuilding in a different way like WW2?  (That is an admitted oversimplification.)

I’m just trying to figure out how this ends (a Putin death seems like the simplest route to the least pain), and disheartened by the cost (more in lives and innocence than in dollars) of getting there.

I think that disheartened is a great word, but it doesn't mean I don't rally.

I think that later it was said that "if there weren’t nukes involved, we’d be doing a lot more" and that's what is so damn frustrating.  There is risk to doing more (i.e. troops), so we do what we can treading a careful path.  This was an overly long explanation of finding common ground with someone's thoughts, someone who has intimated support for actions or outcomes that I do not support.

Glad to see that updates have carried on!

35 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

That booster section from an air defense missile appears to have been found roughly 50 miles from the base. That would be past the effective range of the missile if it was defending the base, but may give some support to the attack being accomplished at least partially with missiles. I'm just not sure how or why it would end up on the other side of the black sea from where any attacking missiles would have come from. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

I tell you what man it's gonna turn out that there's some kinda little beetle that lies dormant in the soil for centuries until an intense fire burns close by I'm talkin way more intense than a grass fire and I tell you what this time next year about 8 million of em are gonna hatch out and be all scuttlin around like crabs and they'll be smart too, and affectionate and will learn tricks and I'm gonna get me one, train him, and name him Edgar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, grazinhorn said:

And honestly that's fine.  I don't share much agreement with some of the conclusions, but I understand the thoughts like -

In my case balanced would be surpassed.

Which sucks even if it is necessary to achieve justice in the former case (let's not accept the latter as long as the Ukrainians won't).

Sure, I have concerns about how to deal with Russia in the future.  Does the endgame crush them like Germany after WW1 or lead to rebuilding in a different way like WW2?  (That is an admitted oversimplification.)

I think that disheartened is a great word, but it doesn't mean I don't rally.

I think that later it was said that "if there weren’t nukes involved, we’d be doing a lot more" and that's what is so damn frustrating.  There is risk to doing more (i.e. troops), so we do what we can treading a careful path.  This was an overly long explanation of finding common ground with someone's thoughts, someone who has intimated support for actions or outcomes that I do not support.

Glad to see that updates have carried on!

Congrats on finding common ground with the sentiments anyone who isn't a sociopath or psychopath can instinctively agree with; this is tragic, Russians are showing no humanity, and nuclear war is bad and should be avoided. Personally, I'm still comfortable with stopping short of the important part of the posts, the conclusions, which amounted to basically "This is so bad we should probably let the bad guys have everything they wanted and pray they won't do it again, despite a historical pattern of doing exactly that at every opportunity." 

I apologize to everyone for once again interrupting the news update and actual worthwhile conversation, but I've looked deeply inward and come to the conclusion that if anyone who continues to quote me and equivocate over this, I'm going to respond. So the handful (2) of folks should just stop right now or:

Amazon.com: Funny Stickers I'll Fuckin Do It Again Sticker Size 2 :  Electronics

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Well, this is how the Russian trolls work, to drive a wedge between the Left and Right with lies they're already inclined to believe.

How do you know this week was really bad for Russia?Some of our resident just asking questions/both sides tankie posters have exposed what they are.

Time for me to join the #NAFOexpansion.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I tell you what man it's gonna turn out that there's some kinda little beetle that lies dormant in the soil for centuries until an intense fire burns close by I'm talkin way more intense than a grass fire and I tell you what this time next year about 8 million of em are gonna hatch out and be all scuttlin around like crabs and they'll be smart too, and affectionate and will learn tricks and I'm gonna get me one, train him, and name him Edgar.

If Edgar glows, keep him in the garage. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

it seems weird to me that losing 8 planes would bring them to their knees. 8 doesn't seem like a lot.

putin starting this war has to be the greatest military blunder ever, right?*

*i am not a military historian.

It’s not going to bring them to their knees but it’s going to create A Problem.  

You have to look at actual units and hardware and what this shit means for them.  And think about things like mission capability.  Russia is a bit of a black box but we know from NATO Allies that Russian airframes are doing damn good at 50 percent availability and 40 is more likely. 

And now their sole combat capable Black Sea naval aviation unit is down more than 50 percent of their airframes. We want to say Russia is a ruthless and efficient nation but the fact is they’re just as bureaucratic and inefficient as the best of us.  Black Sea naval aviation isn’t functional without airframes from elsewhere. Awesome. Go get them and now they’re not patrolling the Far East.

Losing 8 F-18s in a day, on the ground? This is a generational failure and RAND is writing case studies for decades. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s not going to bring them to their knees but it’s going to create A Problem.  

You have to look at actual units and hardware and what this shit means for them.  And think about things like mission capability.  Russia is a bit of a black box but we know from NATO Allies that Russian airframes are doing damn good at 50 percent availability and 40 is more likely. 

And now their sole combat capable Black Sea naval aviation unit is down more than 50 percent of their airframes. We want to say Russia is a ruthless and efficient nation but the fact is they’re just as bureaucratic and inefficient as the best of us.  Black Sea naval aviation isn’t functional without airframes from elsewhere. Awesome. Go get them and now they’re not patrolling the Far East.

Losing 8 F-18s in a day, on the ground? This is a generational failure and RAND is writing case studies for decades. 

To add to this listing all those support crews who help run those places, maint, fueling, electronics etc. to add losing experienced pilots gots to hurt.

there is a lot of stuff in the background that gets overlooked, under appreciated and we have Tom crews to thank for that 

Edited by Gengs1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1