Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

56 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

With all that being said, Russia has shown a willingness to engage in wars of conquest since the beginning of the fall of the Soviet Union the Grand Duchy of Muscovy, so yes while they're weak now, Russia has shown they have the patience to reorganize, rearm, and invade their neighbors, so why even risk it? And now they're tied down in Ukraine, so they can't do anything to prevent it, so the timing is perfect. Win-win.

Shoot, before the Russian civil war was even finished the Red Army was invading Poland.

Edited by Viper

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

Secondly, I think Russia's weakness is exactly what spurred Sweden and Finland into Action.

To put it in summary fashion, if your approach to a neighbor nation is "if you join NATO, I'll bite you," then you best fucking have teeth.  Russia is demonstrating that it's pretty much this:

funny-man-laughing.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

Finland and Sweden are a packaged deal (Their words not mine). So they both applied and they were both allowed the provisional status and are just waiting now for the current NATO members to ratify them. As of today only 7 have yet to ratify it (Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, and Turkiye) All the rest have. So they're just waiting for those last few and then they'll be formally inducted by summer of next year when the annual summit is.

To answer your question on "why" I think it's because a couple of reasons. The first and obvious is that Finland has always had a strained relationship with its neighbor and the calculus leading up to this point was that they didn't want to anger that warmongering neighbor. They reluctantly went along with neutrality because it was forced upon them. They built an entire defensive strategy around mobilizing their entire populace and prematurely mining their own territory to prevent a Russian invasion. You can watch a good video about it here:

Secondly, I think Russia's weakness is exactly what spurred Sweden and Finland into Action. There has already been some level of cooperation between these two countries and NATO, especially in the crisis response realm, and they even already have a lot of similar weapons (especially Sweden), so they'll be a natural fit. I don't think they looked at Russia's issues in Ukraine and necessarily said "we're next," so much as they looked at it and said "Holy shit, Russia is a paper tiger, we better strike while the Iron is Hot" and then requested to join. Being in a defensive Alliance with the world's strongest militaries and with most of the World's nuclear powers is GREAT for National Security. Now your Army of 900,000 (mostly reservists) overnight will turn into an Army of 5 million with close to a 1 trillion dollar annual budget and Nuclear deterrence so nobody will want to attack anyway. So if you were spending a large portion of your GDP supporting an Army by yourself, you can save some money now by hitting the 3% minimum of NATO. You can also reorganize for your population and maybe let some of your civilians off the hook, or even reorganize now into an all-volunteer Army instead of a conscripted one because you have 20+ other countries that have your back. 

With all that being said, Russia has shown a willingness to engage in wars of conquest since the beginning of the fall of the Soviet Union, so yes while they're weak now, Russia has shown they have the patience to reorganize, rearm, and invade their neighbors, so why even risk it? And now they're tied down in Ukraine, so they can't do anything to prevent it, so the timing is perfect. Win-win.

While I appreciate the detailed post, I think you misunderstood what I was asking in my initial posts. It's not why is Findland joining NATO. My question is...outside of wanting to officially have the backing of being a NATO member, why Finland and Estonia are waiting until Finland is officially ratified to block Russian access to the Baltic Sea. They can work with Estonia right now to close access to the straight. And my comment initially was, as you said, Russia has shown their army isn't going to do shit at the moment, so Finland and Estonia can probably do it without immediate blowback, short of Moscow nuking one of those countries. But yeah, I guess it's safer to wait another 9 months. 

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

That is some funny shit right there. Sounds like a great plan! 

Breaking revelation: US Navy leaves Pacific fleet out as tempting targets in Pearl Harbor to get Japanese carriers to reveal location!  Also, another revelation: turns out, the Navy didn't have any plan of what to do next!

Their constant "yeah, we MEANT to step on our own dicks" stories crack me up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

That is some funny shit right there. Sounds like a great plan! 

“We’re going to let the enemy destroy our headquarters, which will then reveal the location of their mobile artillery batteries.

Okay, they destroyed our headquarters, what are their coordinates?

What do you mean?

Didn’t you have the radar on?

What radar?

Fuck!

Well it probably wouldn’t matter anyway, since they drive those HIMARS away as soon as they fire them.”

Note: I have read that HIMARS makes a few in-flight changes to fuck with shorter-range counter-battery radars.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Aren't most of the HIMARS relatively mobile and on the move somewhere a few minutes after firing? They'd need the coordinates and then to use air support to attack...which Russia doesn't seem capable of at the moment. Or at any moment of this war. But that means, they'd have destroyed those HIMARS the same day as the attack on the headquarters, and they'd never have stopped crowing about it to the world and media. Instead...this bullshit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Probably a stupid question, but why would they wait to join NATO? Just because they think Putin would react with war against those countries now, ahead of NATO formally having their back? Because I don't think Putin's army can do dick at the moment. 

This isn’t awesome info from the Twitter feed and is a bit of a twisting from what the Estonians said.  The actual announcement was that Estonia and Finland are going to integrate their coastal defense systems and that WOULD allow them to close the Gulf of Finland and bottle up the Baltic Fleet if the need arose. The Baltic Sea becoming an “inland sea” of the Alliance once Sweden and Finland join is a statement of fact, not of future policy.  Once those two are in, all of the Baltic nations save Russia will be NATO members.

So it’s not really a plan that Finland and Estonia will close passage for the Gulf of Finland once Finland is in, and it’s unlikely that plan would pass muster with the rest of the Alliance as it would be something very close to a declaration of war against Russia.

https://news.err.ee/1608683440/minister-estonia-finland-to-integrate-coastal-missile-defense-systems

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, texastough said:

RF don't have any counter battery that can hit HIMARS at the distances they are being fired from, even if RF knew where, do they? 

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Aren't most of the HIMARS relatively mobile and on the move somewhere a few minutes after firing? They'd need the coordinates and then to use air support to attack...which Russia doesn't seem capable of at the moment. Or at any moment of this war. But that means, they'd have destroyed those HIMARS the same day as the attack on the headquarters, and they'd never have stopped crowing about it to the world and media. Instead...this bullshit. 

RF doesn’t have anything to hit accurately at those distances, and they’d have to use aircraft to attack them….

And if you watch HIMARS and pay attention, you can spot guys with MANPADs, and for every one you see, there’s probably a dozen others in the area.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

While I appreciate the detailed post, I think you misunderstood what I was asking in my initial posts. It's not why is Findland joining NATO. My question is...outside of wanting to officially have the backing of being a NATO member, why Finland and Estonia are waiting until Finland is officially ratified to block Russian access to the Baltic Sea. They can work with Estonia right now to close access to the straight. And my comment initially was, as you said, Russia has shown their army isn't going to do shit at the moment, so Finland and Estonia can probably do it without immediate blowback, short of Moscow nuking one of those countries. But yeah, I guess it's safer to wait another 9 months. 

Yeah my bad, I did misunderstand your question. Yeah, I agree with you, there really isn't a reason to wait. My guess is just that Russia is so preoccupied with the Black sea that it hasn't really become an issue yet? Not sure. As soon as Finland and Sweden became provisional members, most of the NATO countries said they'll consider an attack on them an article 5 already, so yeah they have the support if needed. Maybe they feel it's too much of an aggressive posture for the new guys to make waves already so they'll do it only when it becomes an issue. 

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A lot of our aid, when we announce it, is either in transit, or already there.   The flight tracker OSINT nerds track the hell out of that stuff, as do the OSINT guys tracking seaborne equipment.  The holdup with HIMARS was getting folks trained on them   We are training more people on HIMARS so it’s a safe bet that when that batch is finished, we will airlift more.  There are also some advanced anti-air stuff they don’t have deployed yet, as they are still training on it.

And we airlift a helluva lot of the small stuff ( Javelins, Stingers, etc.) and the high-profile systems like HIMARS and the M777’s.  Ammo, particularly precision artillery, some is airlifted, but much is drawn from our existing supplies in Europe (replenished  by sealift).

The guy you are referencing is a solid reporter/military, but his hometown is occupied by the Russians, and they’ve trashed the hell out of it, like they do with other cities they occupy (and they did the same in Syria).  He has had friends and family murdered by Russians. He’s directly seen the aftermath of the genocidal atrocities the Russians have committed. 

So yes, he is very eager to see more aid.

But he is not privy to the decision-making process of the Ukrainians and NATO.  He also doesn’t mention here (he has mentioned it in other tweets) that the Russians are firing less and less artillery (both barrel and missile) as well as air-launched stuff so what the Ukrainians have and are doing is extremely effective - as many analysts have predicted, Russia has reached their culminating point.  Their advances are more and more impotent, and they can’t stop the Ukrainians from taking out infrastructure they need for those advances (and defenses).

Thanks for the response. 

There’s a lot of propaganda on both sides so when a pro-Ukrainian account admits they’re at a major disadvantage that catches my attention. That’s one way I try to find signal amongst all the noise. Like when Russians couldn’t hide that Crimea was bombed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

There’s a lot of propaganda on both sides so when a pro-Ukrainian account admits they’re at a major disadvantage that catches my attention. That’s one way I try to find signal amongst all the noise. Like when Russians couldn’t hide that Crimea was bombed. 

The Russians are losing more and more access to Kherson and that can’t be hidden from the satellites.  Anything they fire or supplies they use in or around Kherson, there’s a chance it can’t be replaced.  This is huge.

I would follow this guy if you want to get into the nitty gritty of particular weapons systems:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Russians are losing more and more access to Kherson and that can’t be hidden from the satellites.  Anything they fire or supplies they use in or around Kherson, there’s a chance it can’t be replaced.  This is huge.

I would follow this guy if you want to get into the nitty gritty of particular weapons systems:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons

Good to know.

Seems like Putin’s best play is to squat and hold gains as much as he can until winter, then see what effect the energy crisis in Europe has on things financially and politically. That is the real wild card here imo. No one can say with any certainty how severe it will be or what the second order effects will be. 

49 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

Good to know.

Seems like Putin’s best play is to squat and hold gains as much as he can until winter,

The Ukrainians are on the path to retaking Kherson, which then starts to put Crimea into play, which forces Putin to move troops from the north/west, which allows the Ukrainians to reclaim those areas.  And that’s not taking into account that the LPR and DPR forces are splitting and bitching about each other and swearing not to help each other

Putin cannot go to a prevent defense (too soon?) but that’s where he’s headed.

But Putin has no other strategy.  His ability to replace military hardware and his country’s ability to manufacture complex systems are going down the shitter, based on what the Russian government and defense industry are saying publicly.  He is having to flirt with conscripting more Russians, including from Moscow and Saint Petersburg, which has the potential to cause a societal upheaval.

Putin has been telling his people that things are going well, but we are 6 months in, and if he illegally conscripts from the major cities,  he will lose the confidence of the Russians.

Edit: and pushing more conscription still means those troops are months away from having an impact (unless he pushes them into the fight with no training) and advanced systems will not be available.  T-62s are shit in 2022.  They were shit in ‘91 in the first Gulf War.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

“We’re going to let the enemy destroy our headquarters, which will then reveal the location of their mobile artillery batteries.

Okay, they destroyed our headquarters, what are their coordinates?

What do you mean?

Didn’t you have the radar on?

What radar?

Fuck!

PrestigiousSharpIriomotecat-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

the big lebowski dude GIF

The issue is that Russia has mass produced and stocked away artillery and artillery shells for decades. The rest of the world hasn't aimed to fight grind out artillery wars since WWI. There just aren't a lot of artillery pieces to give. Artillery shells might be an issue later into the year.

Edited by Schulz2.0