Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

More shit Russian can't manufacture as long as the sanctions hang around.  Stealth submarines and aircraft carriers that have a huge fucking beam.

Lmao those units would fuckin SLAP in a Red Alert reboot! But the russian navy is a fucking joke, aside from their sub forces. The Kuz fucking sunk the last drydock it was in lol. 

They couldn't build the carrier, sanctions or no. And they'd probably only be able to build a single stealth sub, but it doesn't really matter compared to Status 6, which is already a live weapons system

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

any worse of an idea than backing an alcoholic in a business venture right after he fucked his last business partners who happened to be family members?

*may he rest in peace

TIL: Did not know the dark prince of BBQ had passed.  RIP

Think I'll go pour out a Lone Star (Nah I'll drink it in his memory) 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Great article outlining precisely how good U.S. intelligence was in warning of the invasion and how it would unfold.

But also plenty of room for reflection.  Ukraine did not take it as seriously as they could have. And we need to look at the actions of three administrations (Obama, Trump, Biden) and how they failed to internalize what 2014 and Crimea/Donbas meant.  Putin had decided he would take Ukraine then and hopes at negotiations or moderating his appetite were pointless. In hindsight, it’s massively frustrating that at one point we were worried that Javelins would be too provocative.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-u-s-told-kyiv-russia-planned-to-seize-hostomel-airport

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Great article outlining precisely how good U.S. intelligence was in warning of the invasion and how it would unfold.

But also plenty of room for reflection.  Ukraine did not take it as seriously as they could have. And we need to look at the actions of three administrations (Obama, Trump, Biden) and how they failed to internalize what 2014 and Crimea/Donbas meant.  Putin had decided he would take Ukraine then and hopes at negotiations or moderating his appetite were pointless. In hindsight, it’s massively frustrating that at one point we were worried that Javelins would be too provocative.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-u-s-told-kyiv-russia-planned-to-seize-hostomel-airport

From that article: A Taiwanese made drone with a rotary drum for dropping multiple munitions on targets.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I know this was posted earlier, but this just jumped out to me - these were cars that crossed before the latest attacks earlier today/last night/whatever.

Are the Ukrainians (or Russians) out there putting out information on Russian social media or something to GTFO of Dodge?

Good call!

http://wartranslated.com/ukrainian-informational-operations-cause-panic-in-crimea/

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, PTINS said:

Thanks for posting. good read.

Knightly duel and dirty street fight are quite the interpretation.  Murder, rape, torture, theft, pedophelia, and scorched earth doesn't seem very knightly (from the fantasy interpretation) and dismemberment is hardly common in a street fight.  

Guy is probably a bit more realistic than some, but he is still delusional. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Knightly duel and dirty street fight are quite the interpretation.  Murder, rape, torture, theft, pedophelia, and scorched earth doesn't seem very knightly (from the fantasy interpretation) and dismemberment is hardly common in a street fight.  

I look at that as the type of aside you’re almost always going to hear. It’s always comforting to believe you “could have won” if not for the weak-willed politicians holding you back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That was the biggest wtf from the article by far. Overall, the guy does seem pretty aware of Russia’s failings, but to say they went in trying to avoid any civilian casualties is pure bullshit. Two other things that stood out that don’t seem realistic. First, he states that nearly all of Ukraine’s regular military has been eliminated. I don’t have any knowledge as to the veracity of that statement, but it seems extremely unlikely. Second, he says that Ukraine faces the same inability as Russia re: it’s ability to take/retake/hold cities. Unless I’m reading all the wrong things, hasn’t Ukraine retaken many cities and generally held them? I could agree with the premise that it’s a slow process for Ukraine, but to say that they don’t have the capability to retake any city seems uninformed, if not entirely disingenuous. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

That was the biggest wtf from the article by far. Overall, the guy does seem pretty aware of Russia’s failings, but to say they went in trying to avoid any civilian casualties is pure bullshit. Two other things that stood out that don’t seem realistic. First, he states that nearly all of Ukraine’s regular military has been eliminated. I don’t have any knowledge as to the veracity of that statement, but it seems extremely unlikely. Second, he says that Ukraine faces the same inability as Russia re: it’s ability to take/retake/hold cities. Unless I’m reading all the wrong things, hasn’t Ukraine retaken many cities and generally held them? I could agree with the premise that it’s a slow process for Ukraine, but to say that they don’t have the capability to retake any city seems uninformed, if not entirely disingenuous. 

At the start of the offense, I do believe that was the intent. You have to consider his statement in the context of Syria where they went all in on leveling cities and innocents from the first missile fired. They gave no fucks in Syria. In Ukraine, they at least tried to give a fuck the first few days. When they failed to quickly overthrow the Kyiv government, they quickly resorted to Syria tactics.

The raping and pillaging is base human nature coming out. We have the largest professional army in the world. For the most part, we conducts wars with professionalism and don't rape and pillage. The Russian soldiers are mechanics pulled from the streets forced to conscript and given 1 week of training. Shit's going to get ugly.

• Hook 'Em 3

https://therecord.media/report-sanctions-devastating-russian-economy/?utm_campaign

Dina Temple-Raston and Kendra Hanna
August 16, 2022

News
Report: Sanctions Devastating Russian Economy

For months, Russian President Vladimir Putin has insisted that his country’s economy — facing sanctions, hundreds of global companies pulling out and a shortage of manufacturing materials — is doing just fine

But according to economists — and everyday Russians — that’s not the full story. 

Stanislav, whom The Record only identifies by first name to protect his safety, owns an online marketing business in St. Petersburg, Russia. Back in March, he spoke with the Click Here podcast about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the ensuing sanctions, which were already eating away at his bottom line.

Today, those sanctions are hitting the small business owner even harder. 

“It’s reducing 20% of my revenues,” he said in July, explaining that his foreign customers can’t pay for his services. “So I’m trying to find a solution for my family.”

A recent report from Yale economists argued that Stanislav’s experience is now common in Russia, despite defiant rhetoric from Putin arguing otherwise. For months, the Russian president has styled himself as the world’s energy czar. He’s bragged that Europe needs Russia’s gas far more than Russia needs the money from selling it. 

Jeffrey Sonnenfeld of the Yale School of Management and Steven Tian of the Yale Chief Executive Leadership Institute instead argue that Russia needs to export energy to save its spiraling economy.

Contrary to Putin’s boastful claims, Sonnenfeld and Tian say the country is experiencing massive supply shortages and domestic production has stalled. 

“The weapons that the Ukrainians are recovering from the battlefield, you’re finding semiconductor parts in these weapons that were salvaged from radios, from refrigerators,” Tian said. “This is the level of desperation that Putin is having to sink to because he can’t get the parts and equipment that he so desperately needs.”

According to Sonnenfeld, hundreds of thousands of engineers and tech workers have also left the country. That’s left a deficit in skilled workers that Russia needs to succeed in the long-term.

“Russia brings nothing to the world market other than energy, grain and cyber terrorism,” he said. “That’s it.”

Sonnenfeld said that the actual state of the Russian economy, in contrast to the state’s cheery self-reported statistics, is similar to South Africa’s wheezing economy in the 1980s, when it staggered under the weight of global sanctions due to apartheid. 

The Click Here podcast spoke with Sonnenfeld and Tian to learn more about what the future might hold for Russians like Stanislav. The interview has been edited and condensed for clarity. 

CLICK HERE: Can you give us an encapsulation of how the sanctions against Russia are damaging its economy?

JEFFREY SONNENFELD: In every sector of the economy, we’re seeing declines from 20% all the way up to 60, 70% declines. You can see that unemployment is soaring. Twelve-hundred firms have pulled out of Russia already. Multinational firms have taken away as much as 40% of the GDP, maybe a little bit more. They also have taken away a lot of employment. Russia acknowledges that that was at minimum 12% of their workforce.

CH: What surprised you most about your research into the Russian economy?

JS: What was most surprising is how Putin suppressed any of the bad news. The standard national income statistics that all nations have used at least since the Second World War — including Russia over the last 30 years under [former President Boris] Yeltsin and, believe it or not, even under Putin in the last 20 years — they’ve built up credibility in their numbers. As the oil economy expert Daniel Yergin commented recently, they’ve destroyed 20 years of their own statistical credibility and trust in the last few months. 

CH: Can you talk a little bit about the unorthodox ways that you gathered this information?

JS: We just go to the other side to get the data. In a global economy, for every buyer there’s a seller; every seller, there’s a buyer. If Russia’s not going to put out the true information, it’s still available. 

STEVEN TIAN: We’re looking at data from the ports industry, we’re looking at proprietary data from corporations and financial institutions, and we’re able to draw across so many different data sources and piece together a really holistic picture of what’s going on in the Russian economy.

CH: So instead of looking at the big dots, you’re looking at all the little dots.

ST: That’s right. That’s the same reason why we don’t just boil it all down to a simple GDP forecast as some others, such as the IMF [International Monetary Fund], without explaining any of it. What we do is we try to give you the entire landscape of what’s going on in the Russian economy at every single level. And no matter how you slice and dice it, the same picture comes out, which is that the Russian economy is really, really, really being devastated. 

CH: Can you give us an example of how the economy is being devastated?

ST: These are reports coming out of Russia itself about the automotive industry. It’s not a secret that cannibalization of parts is taking place. Russia has been open about suspending safety regulations when it comes to the production of automobiles. The reason is they don’t have enough airbags. They don’t have enough safety brakes. They’re now making cars without airbags and safety brakes. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to drive a car without airbags and safety brakes.

You can also look at some of the weapons Russians are using on the battlefield. The Ukranians are recovering weapons with semiconductor parts that were salvaged from radios, refrigerators. This is the level of desperation that Putin is having to sink to because he can’t get the parts and equipment that he desperately needs.

CH: One of the things everybody’s been talking about is how these sanctions are unprecedented. And what I found really interesting about some of the various things you’ve talked about is there actually are some comparisons like the apartheid sanctions.

JS: Those businesses pulling out had symbolic as well as substantive meaning so that the Afrikaners could no longer bury their heads in the sand, the way many average Russians are. They could now see that the rest of the world is seeing them as a rogue nation. What’s going on here is sort of a game of chicken, a game of who can hold out the longest. 

CH: What’s the one thing you’re keeping an eye on?

ST: It’s hard to boil it down to any one thing, because ultimately this is not a short-term story. No economic pressure campaign works overnight. That’s never happened throughout history. Rather, the thrust of economic pressure is to structurally degrade and hollow out Russian civil society by eroding its economic capabilities over time, and that’s happening at every single level.

JS: What’s going on here is sort of a game of chicken. And Putin’s desire is to split the West. So what I look to is to make sure that unity is reaffirmed in the West. And we just saw this past week that the EU [European Union] came together for a 15 percent reduction in gas use. The fact that they came together is very important and that continued unity is what I look to see. And that’s what will win out I think, in this waiting game.

Sean Powers and Will Jarvis contributed reporting to this story.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

At the start of the offense, I do believe that was the intent. You have to consider his statement in the context of Syria where they went all in on leveling cities and innocents from the first missile fired. They gave no fucks in Syria. In Ukraine, they at least tried to give a fuck the first few days. When they failed to quickly overthrow the Kyiv government, they quickly resorted to Syria tactics.

The raping and pillaging is base human nature coming out. We have the largest professional army in the world. For the most part, we conducts wars with professionalism and don't rape and pillage. The Russian soldiers are mechanics pulled from the streets forced to conscript and given 1 week of training. Shit's going to get ugly.

Our society shuns this behavior.  Our military doesn't actively ship looted materials such as dishwashers back from areas of conflict.  I am sure a guy can take a rock or some sand/soil.  But taking large appliances en masse indicates that this was the plan and they coordinated logistics to spirit away the stolen goods as part of their normal operations.   

I have never served, but I understand that our soldiers have complained and had psychos removed from service for harming innocent people with intent.  I was a mechanic prior to college and was related to some other mechanics; rape and torture wasn't part of the culture.    

I do not think that is what you intended to imply, but it could be interpreted that way. 

Lastly, shit is already ugly.  It has been for sometime now.  

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Russia resorting to faking drones, robot dogs, and trying to repair a blown up M777 to showcase as war trophies plus the 50 HIMARS images they claim to have blown up (that look like vans, logging trucks)  belies their desperation.  

Our society shuns this behavior.  Our military doesn't actively ship looted materials such as dishwashers back from areas of conflict.  I am sure a guy can take a rock or some sand/soil.  But taking large appliances en masse indicates that this was the plan and they coordinated logistics to spirit away the stolen goods as part of their normal operations.   

I have never served, but I understand that our soldiers have complained and had psychos removed from service for harming innocent people with intent.  I was a mechanic prior to college and was related to some other mechanics; rape and torture wasn't part of the culture.  

Agreed, our standards and morals are way different than average Russians. But we aren't poor as shit like the majority of Russians are. We aren't forced to conscript like the Russians are. Not excusing their shitty behavior, but trying to provide context on why they are shitty. 

More likely he knows the balance of praise to criticism to keep from having a five story fall out of a basement window.

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Actually, murder, rape, theft, etc. were quite the actions of a lot of knightly endeavors. The Siege of Constantinople comes to mind. 

Chivalry and Knights are not the same thing. Some subscribed. Some did not. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Agreed, our standards and morals are way different than average Russians. But we aren't poor as shit like the majority of Russians are. We aren't forced to conscript like the Russians are. Not excusing their shitty behavior, but trying to provide context on why they are shitty. 

Cruelty and atrocities are a strategy and are intentional. Some of the specifics and implementation is left to individual initiative but it is a strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Cruelty and atrocities are a strategy and are intentional. Some of the specifics and implementation is left to individual initiative but it is a strategy. 

Yes, You do not have to go back to WW2 to see that. go back to the 90's. Anywhere someone followed Russian Doctrine this is what comes. Saddam's Iraq, Bosnia, Chechnya, Syria. Hell, the attack on Kabul was brutal. 

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I can haz maps of current battle lines?

How is Ukraine doing in Crimea?

Russian Reaction GIF

They are having to check documents of people leaving, because apparently some Russian soldiers are trying to flee.

They are moving all aircraft out of Crimea which means they have no faith in air defenses,

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1