Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I had no idea I occupied so much space in your head. I’m flattered. 

My current take is that Russia is not going to give up without using their most powerful weapons. They will end up getting the Donbas just like they got Crimea. I would prefer that happen with as little loss of life as possible and so yes, I would prefer a swift diplomatic outcome over more fighting and civilian deaths. 

But this is the war that everyone seems to love, and no one seems to care that we are in a proxy war with Russia, so I think it’s unlikely. This is Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan all over again. We will never learn. 

FF87D8_LEAD-e23f88d.jpg?resize=620,414&w

any familial relation? Very similar vibes from your post. Appeasement is uh.... Not a historically successful strategy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jatrain said:

If they’re not there already, when Ukrainian forces get close enough to the border, do they / should they attack military targets (rail lines, fuel depots, etc) in Russia?

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

That triple rail bridge I was talking about… yeah it’s won’t be there by this time next week.

It amazes me how big of a disaster this collapse is for that front, especially now that the cascading effect is that it dramatically reduces the number of direct rail options available from Russia to the occupied sectors.  

When they push the Russians to the border in more areas in the NE of Ukraine, they may not need to fire over the border at the rail lines - Russians may very well keep supplies/manpower off the rails near the border, for fear of HIMARS, etc., forcing them to truck everything long distances.  And they can skip shelling the fuel depots and just hammer away at the temporary pipelines that Russia sets up for their military (Russia really relies on these temporary pipelines) - there's no way Russia can easily replace that kind of infrastructure, and Russia is not swimming in fuel tankers (unlike Western forces).

Taking Izyum and a few other areas off the board really creates some massive supply bottlenecks for LPR/Kherson/Crimea that will expose the Russian logistics problems even more than the attempt at Kyiv did.

They are seriously threatening the Donbas - this is just amazing.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ll check back in in a few years and see how our latest forever war is going “my dude”. 

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Zelensky giving keynote at a Defense Industry conference in Austin. Feel free to attend war pigs

https://www.ndia.org/events/2022/9/19/2022-future-force-capabilities-conference-and-exhibition

Star Trek Aliens GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

The stuff about Moscow's center being barricade, tanks rolling around, etc., it's some kind of normal celebration that happens in the first weekend or two of September.  Sounds like there are more and more people, at least on Russian social media, who are pissed that the celebration is taking place and the authorities are acting like the Special Military Operation is going just fine.

Stuff like this:

FcVYvXxXoAEq_iV?format=png&name=medium

FcVY0UrWYAM2HPM?format=png&name=small

This is the celebration

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Geez. Remember being a kid in the 1970s and 1980s. Big Bad Russia. It was us vs them, and in the 70s, it looked like they were actually winning. Reagan era jingoism and movies changed our mindset a bit to thinking maybe we had a chance.

Then the Wall fell, and the sham was exposed. They were a poor country and we'd been fooled.

Now we still thought of Russia as a Power. Maybe not a Superpower any more, but certainly a Power.

Then Izyum was reclaimed, and the sham was exposed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

What's with all of the cryptic stuff
[/url]  

Maria works in Ukraine defense. Pundits have pointed out very little of the Western heavy machinery was seen it the Kharkiv offense which means it still out there with another battle group. Speculation is across Donetsk to the Sea of Azov, east of Mariupol, to cut the RU land bridge supply lines.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

My wife and I were discussing Operation Market-Garden in WW II last night, and it reminded me that the German Army in France collapsed rapidly, just like the Russian Army has in the Kharkiv region.  Many thought that the rout would go all the way to Berlin in short order, but the Germans had other ideas and turned and stiffened at the Rhine. 

I'm not saying that it's not possible that the Russian collapse will spread across all of Ukraine, but don't be surprised if and when the Russians form up and stabilize a front somewhere.  The Ukrainians still have the recipe and ingredients to cook up another breakthrough elsewhere, but it may take more patience.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Geez. Remember being a kid in the 1970s and 1980s. Big Bad Russia. It was us vs them, and in the 70s, it looked like they were actually winning. Reagan era jingoism and movies changed our mindset a bit to thinking maybe we had a chance.

Then the Wall fell, and the sham was exposed. They were a poor country and we'd been fooled.

Now we still thought of Russia as a Power. Maybe not a Superpower any more, but certainly a Power.

Then Izyum was reclaimed, and the sham was exposed.

I distinctly remember when the same thought hit me. In the summer of '93, 30 other American students and I studied in a small, eastern German farming village very near Tangermünde as part of a study abroad program. Anyway, each weekend we'd load up on a small bus and spend a day or so at a somewhat nearby destination to learn something about German culture and/or history.

At the time, German reunification had already occurred, but the leases (or whatever) on Russian military bases had not yet expired. So, anyway, on one of these weekend excursions, our bus was traveling down a two-lane road and suddenly slowed down. Obviously, this caught our attention, and we stared out the window at a column of sad looking Russian military  trucks stopped, lined up one the grass along the side of the road.

Apparently, their lead truck had broken down. When we passed it, the hood was up and there were 4-5 Russian soldiers just standing there, smoking cigarettes like they didn't know what to do. It was at that point I realized we'd been raised in fear of a paper tiger.

• Hook 'Em 3