Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Mass mobilization does have me a bit nervous. I feel like Ukraine needs to respond in kind. If the goal is to have 1 million Russians flooding into Ukraine to shore up defenses, then Ukraine needs to ramp up its reserves as well. Get their own bodies on the front to hold territory, while the trained forces continue to do their offensives. The west also needs to get off its ass and give them the stuff they need to outfit those troops and the long-range stuff to win. In the best-case scenario, the new Russian conscripts are placed piecemeal and ground down at the current pace while the offensive continues. Worse case the mass of bodies stops the offensive and this turns into another stalemate that drags on. If you can match force for force, then it negates that numerical advantage. I pray that we stick true to our word on Oct 1, when Lend-Lease kicks in. If it kicks in and we still insist on handicapping them, then Ukraine will really need to compensate for this new phase.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just for reference, US Army these days, for just a regular infantryman, say an 18 year-old right out of high school, they have 22 weeks of training - their basic and advanced training is combined and done as one unit.  That’s a lot of classroom instruction and field exercises for somebody who is just carrying a rifle and being your stereotypical grunt, and there will be a shitload more exercises once you get to your unit.

If you go in the Army and your speciality doesn’t have a one unit setup, you are doing 10 weeks of basic training and then your individual/speciality training.  If it’s like the “10 weeks” I had in the early 90s, it’s a couple of weeks of getting to your company/battery, getting sorted into your platoon, doing medical shit (vaccines, etc.) and dentistry, haircuts, issuing uniform/clothing and equipment, additional,paperwork, getting some baseline stuff down - how to do basic tasks like brushing your teeth (we had an actual two-hour class on this, and the film was the most horrifying thing I’ve ever seen), laundry, making bunks up, how to stow your gear, bathroom cleaning, etc. and then we launched into 8 solid weeks of the training you normally think of.

These fuckers are showing up drunk, and I wouldn’t be surprised if their two weeks of training will be mostly getting them trained on loading and shooting a rifle and throwing grenades, and then trying to get them to Ukraine.   Two weeks could easily see the Ukrainians dozens of kilometers deeper into the occupied areas, as well as putting a lot of stuff within HIMARS or even howitzer range. 

And if they truly only have a couple of weeks of training, I don’t see how they can be properly outfitted, and I also don’t see how they can build up an…institutional structure of sorts, where they have proper respect of the NCOs and officers.

If these mobilized Russians were Americans, most of them wouldn't qualify to enlist in the US Army

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just thinking of the condition of the barrel makes me shudder. I have carried AK's in a few places, including having my own for pig hunting here in Texas. Like any machine, they need to be cleaned. They are not indestructible as the world thinks. 

Now lets think of their 1960's tanks they are pulling out of storage. 

I joked about it 5 months ago, but I do actually think we may end up seeing  a T-34 or two. You’ve got to think they are going to start pulling T-55 out of storage soon.

• Hook 'Em 3

^That's what I believe, hence my earlier post. They're there to just plug holes and slow down the advance to force a grinding stalemate so they can consolidate their hold over the land they've stolen, and it buys them time to undermine Ukraine's support in the West. It seems people are happy to let this happen.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just thinking of the condition of the barrel makes me shudder. I have carried AK's in a few places, including having my own for pig hunting here in Texas. Like any machine, they need to be cleaned. They are not indestructible as the world thinks. 

Now lets think of their 1960's tanks they are pulling out of storage. 

I read an autobiography by an American officer who had served in Vietnam ( maybe David Hackworth?) who was making a point that the M16 needed constant maintenance and would jam at the slightest bit of grit  (since resolved).  and in contrast he talked about his team going on a patrol in an area that about 13-14 months earlier a reasonable sized  fight between NVA and USA had occured.

In the treeline, the Americans found the remains of an NVA soldier who had clearly died in the battle complete with his ak47 that had been exposed in the fucking jungle for an entire year plus.

they dutifully reported a body count of 1,  and then the officer told everyone to watch how rugged the ak47 was.  He picked the rusted, dirt covered rifle up, cycled it, and let loose the entire remainder of the magazine into the air...

an entire year in the vietnam jungle didnt stop that gun from working as intended.   pretty sure being stuck in a warehouse for 50 years rusting away wouldnt stop it from still working.  

• Like 1

ok, so hear me out. Russia brings into their army Tatars and Dagestanis. Two groups who have kicked Russian ass. They hit the front lines, we supply food, they turn around and go take Moscow. Thus no US/NATO/UA troops do it, their own do. 

Every piece of territory they liberate is added, quickly, to a new federation. Pretty soon Russia is what it was historically, Moscow, the pig farm on the river. 

Oh, and as we liberate we provide access to OnlyFans for Russian zones under the new army's control. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

18 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Bulletin Board material?

Look - the news of 1 million Russians being signed up to attack Ukraine has to cause at least some kind of concern to the Ukrainian military. I read that tweet is more of a morale sustaining act in light of that news than some irresponsible hubris.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I read an autobiography by an American officer who had served in Vietnam ( maybe David Hackworth?) who was making a point that the M16 needed constant maintenance and would jam at the slightest bit of grit  (since resolved).  and in contrast he talked about his team going on a patrol in an area that about 13-14 months earlier a reasonable sized  fight between NVA and USA had occured.

In the treeline, the Americans found the remains of an NVA soldier who had clearly died in the battle complete with his ak47 that had been exposed in the fucking jungle for an entire year plus.

they dutifully reported a body count of 1,  and then the officer told everyone to watch how rugged the ak47 was.  He picked the rusted, dirt covered rifle up, cycled it, and let loose the entire remainder of the magazine into the air...

an entire year in the vietnam jungle didnt stop that gun from working as intended.   pretty sure being stuck in a warehouse for 50 years rusting away wouldnt stop it from still working.  

It was oiled. I have pulled Ak's out of rivers in Central America and they fired fine. Why? They were oiled and packed. Found a few in Afghanistan covered in dirt, but the action  was oiled. Fired fine. That is deep rust. I brought up the barrel for a reason. Go fire a round out of a pitted barrel. One, no problem. 50? Barrel will give and not you have a club. 

Dad did 6 tours in Vietnam. Never had an M-16 jam on him. Why? He kept it clean. I never had an issue with M-16s in Central America or in Afghanistan. I know we did a lot of work on them, but it comes down to maintenance. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

This is going to fight in Ukraine. And there are many of them, I wonder how long they will last.

This rascal secured the turnstile to his ammunition with ties. The result is on the video.

^😆

Drunk troops and plate carriers with no plates. Nice..... Time to just hand to the UA a bunch of M-14's and M-249's. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Good post, write more. 

Heh, I will say that if they throw 100,000 or more into Crimea, they could probably hold Crimea, but it would be hell keeping them supplied with food and water and ammo if Ukraine cuts off the freshwater and hits the Kerch bridge.

But it would be a  Pyrrhic victory for Putin.  The Ukrainians are working the rivers to their advantage in the heavy fighting they are doing now, and have shown they can cross when they need to, and they are also making moves that maximizes their artillery (amazing how that combined arms thing worked out for them).

I don't see how Putin survives in power if he mobilizes hundreds of thousand and can only hold onto Crimea - he would be holding less Ukrainian territory than he had back in February, at the cost of tens of thousands of dead Russians.

• Hook 'Em 1

Meet the new deputy defense minister of Russia

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-09-24-22/index.html

Russia has replaced its deputy defense minister by appointing Col. Gen. Mikhail Mizintsev for the post, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement published Saturday. 

"Colonel-General Mikhail Mizintsev has been appointed to the post of Deputy Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation, responsible for the logistics of the Armed Forces," according to the statement. 

Mizintsev replaces the General of the Army Dmitry Bulgakov, who was relieved of his post due to a transfer to another job, according to the statement. 

The Ukrainian military has said Mizintsev led the siege of the eastern Ukrainian port city of Mariupol. 

ca3d1917-bb1f-414c-913a-e98fa02fd1a4.JPG

Shave the head, put on some pounds, a little eyeliner and he's the next Uncle Fester.

• Haha 3

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Heh, I will say that if they throw 100,000 or more into Crimea, they could probably hold Crimea, but it would be hell keeping them supplied with food and water and ammo if Ukraine cuts off the freshwater and hits the Kerch bridge.

But it would be a  Pyrrhic victory for Putin.  The Ukrainians are working the rivers to their advantage in the heavy fighting they are doing now, and have shown they can cross when they need to, and they are also making moves that maximizes their artillery (amazing how that combined arms thing worked out for them).

I don't see how Putin survives in power if he mobilizes hundreds of thousand and can only hold onto Crimea - he would be holding less Ukrainian territory than he had back in February, at the cost of tens of thousands of dead Russians.

I don't think he can. He has to watch the southern zones. As mobilization becomes a thing, I would not overlook threats from other areas. The Tribes in the Caucus can always get rowdy. 

If Putin does not drop a nuke, he is not staying in power. The Turks are watching and can always send the tribes north.

We can hope his generals see it for what it is worth and someone takes him out. He is intel, not part of the military. That matters in their set up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I don't think he can. He has to watch the southern zones. As mobilization becomes a thing, I would not overlook threats from other areas. The Tribes in the Caucus can always get rowdy. 

The Russian Ground Forces/Army itself is small - less than 300,000 troops. Since they aren't all in Ukraine, I wonder if he would try and replace some of the regular army troops at other outposts with mobilized forces and then send the regular troops to Ukraine.  But then those outposts are manned by extremely poorly-trained and led troops, which could be very, very bad if some of the republics heat up.

Hell, if Chechnya blew up right now, I doubt he could keep it.

• Hook 'Em 3