Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

27 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

The funny part in all of this is that most of the fronts in this conflict are pre established because of natural barriers and so once those lines match up, then the real strategy will begin.

Once Kherson is liberated, the only area of conflict that is not set along natural barriers of long standing fortifications is the northern sector of Luhansk (there are several small rivers running N/S but nothing like the Oskil or Dniper). 

How does the UKA get across the river in Kherson, or more appropriately where do they make the attempt.  What does the UKA do on Luhansk beyond taking strobelsk? At what point is the UKA willing to stop advancing and essentially laying siege to many of the major cities in the occupied territories?

The issue is not what is happening right now, as most of these moves look to be following a predestined path because of geography and lines of supply. The problem is how does the UKA deal with the much more compact and naturally defensible situation the RU will find themselves in next spring. 

Lots of open ground between the east bank of the Dnipro and the pre February fortifications near Donetsk. If and when the Ukrainians push the Russians off the east bank of the Dnipro, I could see the next push north to south between Dnipro and Donetsk. Potentially to get in position to put Melitopol, Berdyans'k and Mariupol under pressure, cut Russian east to west movement and put all the resupply ports on the Azov under fire. Ukrainians on the west bank offer fire support and keep Russians in place on the east bank of the river under threat. 

Maybe this is wishful thinking but would massively exacerbate the already stretched Russian logistics. 

Regarding Ukrainian offensive timing, some of the videos we have been seeing are starting to show some mud problems and slow down the pace of advance/resupply. I do believe the Ukrainians keep the pressure on once the fields freeze if they have the capability. Keep pressure on the Russians and force the mobilization troops to be used as piecemeal stopgaps. 

• Hook 'Em 3

“The Ukrainian armed forces commanders in the south and east are throwing problems at the Russian chain of command faster than the Russians can effectively respond,” said a Western official who requested anonymity to brief reporters about sensitive security information. “And this is compounding the existing dysfunction within the Russian invasion force.”

---

“All Russian forces withdrew in poor order, suffering high casualties from artillery fire as they attempted to leave the town to the East,” the Western official said of Lyman, comparing it to Kharkiv. “Then, as you recall, troops received an order to cede the territory,” the official said. “But in Lyman we think that the Russian troops retreated despite orders to defend and remain”

“Relinquishing this area is exactly what the Kremlin did not want to happen,” the official said.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Fico said:

Lots of open ground between the east bank of the Dnipro and the pre February fortifications near Donetsk. If and when the Ukrainians push the Russians off the east bank of the Dnipro, I could see the next push north to south between Dnipro and Donetsk. Potentially to get in position to put Melitopol, Berdyans'k and Mariupol under pressure, cut Russian east to west movement and put all the resupply ports on the Azov under fire. Ukrainians on the west bank offer fire support and keep Russians in place on the east bank of the river under threat. 

Maybe this is wishful thinking but would massively exacerbate the already stretched Russian logistics. 

I think this is the play. Eliminate RU forces on the west bank and hold the river while forcing them back from Zap toward Melitopol with the goal of severing the west from the east. Then, you take out the Kerch Bridge, isolating Crimea, and making it as difficult as possible for it to resupply.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If I had the skills, I’d photoshop Putin’s head onto the driver, and then replace the men’s heads with this generals, and the women’s with maybe the  TV show hosts.  

"Every wanker down!!" cracks me up every. single. time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

52 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If there a betting pool, I'd almost be betting that Kherson will be Ukraine's within two weeks.  Whole lot of little villages/towns in the Kherson region (NE of Kherson the city) are popping up as being liberated within the past 24 hours, and the Ukrainians seem to be driving south along the river, getting between the Russians and the river.

And there are Ukrainian troops who are north/west of Kherson putting pressure on Kherson proper (they are the ones hitting Kherson with arty/HIMARS), which means the Russians can't maneuver around or even break off some smaller units to respond to the NE of Kherson.

There are even claims that they are trying to completely sever the Antonovsky bridge so that the Russians can't even use it on foot.

Some examples of places liberated today:

https://twitter.com/ukrainiansquad/status/1577139733066498048

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1577270974868852736

Thanks for all the good info.

It seems that UK doesn't really need to "take" Kherson. The city and the RU troops aren't going anywhere, and the RU supplies will decrease day by day without any significant resupply options.

Once UK pushes south along the Dnipro to Beryslav and controls the P47 bridge across the river, about 25 miles south of Mylove, it appears to be nothing but open farmland down to Crimea.

Game on.

The highway's jammed with broken heroes
On a last chance power drive
Everybody's out on the run tonight
But there's no place left to hide...

Oh honey, tramps like us
Baby, we were born to run
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, PTINS said:

It seems that UK doesn't really need to "take" Kherson. The city and the RU troops aren't going anywhere, and the RU supplies will decrease day by day without any significant resupply options.

Once UK pushes south along the Dnipro to Beryslav and controls the P47 bridge across the river, about 25 miles south of Mylove, it appears to be nothing but open farmland down to Crimea.

Game on.

Oh honey, tramps like us

That and a bunch of sand dunes. We might even get a chance to see some Rat Patrol action.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Somebody's gramama dodged a bombing run and will never know it.

What's with the weird New Age music?  Some guy getting a happy ending while simultaneously watching Russian planes crash?  Because I'm not going to lie, that's probably an extra special pop off.  

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, PTINS said:

That appears to be a cargo plane and not a Mig, like a RU version of a C-130.

There's a clear ejection at :32 and a chute pops a second later.   Ain't no cargo plane with the rocket seat.

Looks like he never got speed enough to do rotation.  He just rolled that sucker off the end of the runway.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Game on.

Oh honey, tramps like us

Battlefield realities and possibilities and political/civilizational demands do not always mesh perfectly.  Ukraine cannot simply look at map of its occupied territories as only terrain to be conquered and logistics to disrupt. They must look at it as a lost homeland they are trying to recover and return to the fold.  The Ukrainian citizens living in these cities have to know that their army is fighting, and if need be, dying for them and that they are not reduced to logistics hubs and topo maps.  People will forgive a lot, but they will not forgive being abandoned. 

This is not to mention the reality that every day under Russian occupation brings fresh horrors and murders to the occupied lands. And that we have seen that increase as the Russian positions get more desperate.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Based on my understanding of the culture of the Russian Army, I don't think we should at all assume that this encounter was consensual.

And that would really suck--here you are, a poor Russian conscript getting face-raped by a fucking corporal . . . and then you get blown up by a Ukrainian mortar.  That's a shitty day.

Back then, my father worked for an airline and we flew everywhere non-rev.  So we were supposed to leave on the Lufthansa flight on Saturday (I think) from St. Petersburg to Frankfurt, but it was full.  We couldn't catch any other flights out that day, so we went back to our hotel.  It just didn't occur to any of us that our visas were expiring that day.

We show up the next morning for the Lufthansa flight.  No problem--plenty of seats.  Sadly, no upgrade.  In those days, they used to upgrade non-revs pretty frequently.  But as I recall, we got an upgrade to Business on the connecting flight from Frankfurt to Dallas.

Anyhoo . . . 

Then we go through immigration, and the guy notices that our visas had expired the previous day.  There's a long discussion between the immigration officer and Dmitri (our driver), and Dmitri comes back and very gravely informs us that "this is the worst of all possible worlds."

So there is some further discussion in Russian between Dmitri and the immigration officer, during which the immigration officer walks off and rifles through our bags that are still on the x-ray machine.  It all takes about ten minutes.  And Dmitri then comes back and says that the immigration officer wants a "bottle."  What?  We're all puzzled. 

Turns out, my father was bringing back something like 8 bottles of Stolichnaya, which at that time you could get for about $2.  My father's like "fuck that dude," and goes over to the little immigration booth and slaps a $5 bill on the counter.  The immigration guy's eyes get big and he starts yelling in Russian, and Dmitri very quickly grabs the $5 bill, tucks it into one of our passports, and slides the passports back over to the immigration officer.  The passports are quickly stamped and we hustle our happy American asses off to the Lufthansa gate.

And this is how you humblebrag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

So is this war gonna get a name cooler than, "the Ukraine War?"  Seems it deserves one.

The NAFO War, NAFO-Russian War, or NAFO-Rashist War would be pretty apt names. This isn't a NATO war, but the overlap is so significant that the naming similarity is worth considering. The use of technology/social media/OSINT/etc has played an enormous role. And the actual NAFO alliance (or whatever they can be referred to as a whole) is arguably the most recognizable influence on - or symbol of - the war other than the actual countries/leaders involved.

Honestly, going forward (and completely unrelated to the actual online NAFO folks), I'd say any non-defensive action conducted/funded by NATO could be referred to as NAFO. It's like a gentleman's agreement that we all have the same basic interests, but we can't do it as "NATO" because that is a defensive-only alliance. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Game on.

Oh honey, tramps like us
Fuckin A
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

That appears to be a cargo plane and not a Mig, like a RU version of a C-130.

It did look pretty big to me, but none of the videos are really clear enough to tell for sure. BUT, those intercepted messages refer to it as a Mig. And it definitely looks like somebody tried to bail via parachute. Don't imagine any of their cargo planes have that ability, but I suppose I could be wrong about that.

• Hook 'Em 1