Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m seeing more and more NATO small arms stock being used by Ukraine, and not just European, but lots of M4s, and we have plenty of ammo and supplies.

The fact that Russia relies on Belarus and Iran to produce ammo is stunning.  How the mighty have fallen.

Also, you can shoot somebody in the chest 5 times and get the media to report it as a suicide?

Too soon? 

image.thumb.png.e2f9508808b01f277e1b87cf7f200a1a.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Fence?  The Russians aren't going to try to cross on foot.  Fuck a fence.  They need anti-tank mines.  They need ATGMs, with concealed (but prepared) positions from which to fire them.  They need artillery ready to position in 30 minutes to drop hell on every passable point of entry.

They ALREADY have all their bridges prepared for demolition - they are built with "charge pits," where explosives can be placed to blow the bridge.

And, you know, freaking 16 year old girls in Finland are already trained to shoot Russians from a distance.  FAFO, Russia.  FAFO.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I thought the issue was once you're in the EU, you can't be kicked out.  You can ask to leave, but not be forced to leave.  I am asking that question, I don't know the answer.

That would explain why Turkey has been waiting for a long while now to get into the EU.  

There really needs to be an amendment for the EU and also the UN that if you have a 90% majority then you should be able to give them the full Jeremy Piven GTFO gif treatment. No more hanging on due to some technicality.  If 90% of the world hates you then you shouldn't be allowed to continue your clown shit show as UN security council member, betraying the fundamental aspect of the position.

Russia is going to try the "we have more walking meat than you have ammo" strategy.
I'll admit, esp. in light of the posts above commenting on Ukraine running low on stocks, this gives me some concern.  Not freaking out, but on some level, human waves of a million Russians with sharpened sticks and 120 yr old rifles has a chance to overwhelm the UKA at least in certain spots.  Now, even if that happened, I doubt Russia's ability to capitalize on it and pull out a full strategic victory....but still....
Russia's best hope is for the meat sacs to turn on their masters.  So, there's no hope at all.  
Slocums razor. Aggie swag style.

They will fuck up being meat sticks too.

Whatever they do, will be stupid, inefective, cruel and useless. A new word will be created to describe this "special military operation" and all it's fuckery. There are no current words to capture the breathtaking scale of this clusterfuck by the Russians.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I have a fucking way to exclude them.  Destroy their fucking economy so they drop out of the top 20.  Then plug in whoever's next.  Andorra, or whatever.

The G20 isn’t really the top 20 biggest economies every year. Its membership history is interesting (if you are a diplomacy geek) or completely boring (if you’re a normal person). Regardless, the UK PM is right in that given the structure and membership, it’s not feasible just to kick Russia out. All the West leaving and making a new club would be the only way and some of the other members wouldn’t come. 

As an aside, remember that the G8 (now back to G7) invited Russia as a goodwill gesture of respect under Yeltsin (who called it the “Big 8”). Russia’s economic status never warranted it, it was sort of a “try this on for size if you want to be in the Transatlantic club.” And Russia didn’t fit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

No, not the case. The Czech military has excellent specialization in military decontamination and defense against radiation and chemical disasters (intentional or not) and that’s what they’ll be training. Czechs have different words for chemists and pharmacists. 

Wonder if the concern is the Russians fucking up a nuclear power plant, intentionally or not.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wonder if the concern is the Russians fucking up a nuclear power plant, intentionally or not.

I mean, they’re launching rockets at industrial and infrastructure facilities every gotdamn day, and frequently missing and hitting other stuff. Cleaning up after a power plant gets blown up is a bit more than just calling Servpro. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

So, let me make a pessimistic post, and hear me out, because I'm trying to look at it in empirical terms.

1 -- manpower.  Yes, I see and know all the stuff about how the Mobiks suck, aren't trained or equipped, have no NCOs, etc.  But it seems there is still a real advantage in available manpower.  It's hard to know what figures are reliable (surely the answer is "none"), but let's assume it's right to say the Russians have 100k killed or captured.  How many have the Ukrainians lost?  I see figures that look similar.  Which wouldn't shock me.  We know that Ukraine has taken massive casualties.  Where does that leave them on available troops?  I'm concerned that Russia simply has way more bodies to throw at this.

2 -- weapons advantage.  Yes, Ukraine has BETTER artillery (more accurate).  But the Russians have a metric fuckton of artillery -- in sheer numbers, they have a huge advantage over Ukraine, and they are using their artillery without pause.  Yes, they're wearing it out....but they still seem to have plenty of cannons and ammo to toss a jillion shells a day at Ukraine.  Sheer volume can be overwhelming.

3 -- the ability to make long-range strikes.  We keep reading that Russia is running out of long-range guided munitions....but they keep launching missile attacks, and they may get even more weapons from Iran.  This is an advantage for Russia, and they are using it in a way that will make this winter very hard for millions of people in Ukraine.  AND, they can hit military targets deep in Ukraine (they probably need to do more of that, but still, they CAN).  This is a material advantage.

4 -- a sub-issue of weapons advantage....are we running out of shit that Ukraine needs?  See them running out of old Soviet calibers of ammo and such.

My allegiance here is pretty clear.  And I know the Ukrainians would fight off a Russian attack with 100 year old rifles with sticks and stones if they have to (and this war may eventually come to that).  No Ukrainian will ever buy a drink if he's in a bar with me.  But I want to be realistic, and try to evaluate the negatives as well.  Appreciate those who are better informed filling me in, and again, not just with sunshine pumping.  I want someone to "Red team" our take on this, and tell me how and why Russia might win.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, let me make a pessimistic post, and hear me out, because I'm trying to look at it in empirical terms.

1 -- manpower.  Yes, I see and know all the stuff about how the Mobiks suck, aren't trained or equipped, have no NCOs, etc.  But it seems there is still a real advantage in available manpower.  It's hard to know what figures are reliable (surely the answer is "none"), but let's assume it's right to say the Russians have 100k killed or captured.  How many have the Ukrainians lost?  I see figures that look similar.  Which wouldn't shock me.  We know that Ukraine has taken massive casualties.  Where does that leave them on available troops?  I'm concerned that Russia simply has way more bodies to throw at this.

2 -- weapons advantage.  Yes, Ukraine has BETTER artillery (more accurate).  But the Russians have a metric fuckton of artillery -- in sheer numbers, they have a huge advantage over Ukraine, and they are using their artillery without pause.  Yes, they're wearing it out....but they still seem to have plenty of cannons and ammo to toss a jillion shells a day at Ukraine.  Sheer volume can be overwhelming.

3 -- the ability to make long-range strikes.  We keep reading that Russia is running out of long-range guided munitions....but they keep launching missile attacks, and they may get even more weapons from Iran.  This is an advantage for Russia, and they are using it in a way that will make this winter very hard for millions of people in Ukraine.  AND, they can hit military targets deep in Ukraine (they probably need to do more of that, but still, they CAN).  This is a material advantage.

4 -- a sub-issue of weapons advantage....are we running out of shit that Ukraine needs?  See them running out of old Soviet calibers of ammo and such.

My allegiance here is pretty clear.  And I know the Ukrainians would fight off a Russian attack with 100 year old rifles with sticks and stones if they have to (and this war may eventually come to that).  No Ukrainian will ever buy a drink if he's in a bar with me.  But I want to be realistic, and try to evaluate the negatives as well.  Appreciate those who are better informed filling me in, and again, not just with sunshine pumping.  I want someone to "Red team" our take on this, and tell me how and why Russia might win.

First, define winning. That is important.

But to maintain a military presence would not be that difficult. Keep the UA in a static defense, rebuild their armed forces and equipment, and maintain the status quo on territory they control. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

First, define winning. That is important.

Great question.

On February 25th, I think most of us would have said "survive as a nation state" would be a big win.  I think they've secured that (at least, as much as you can while hostilities are still ongoing).

Today.....is it:

1) expel all Russian troops from ALL occupied territory, including Crimea?

2) expel all Russian troops from all occupied territory EXCEPT Crimea?

3) push Russian troops back to the line of conflict that existed on February 23rd?

4) some version of 1-3, leaving the Russian regime intact, and restoring its weapons stocks?

5) some version of 1-3, but having forced regime change in Russia?

We can come up with what we WANT (destroy the Russian military so that it can't be reconstituted as a modern fighting force for 10-20 years, push them out of all Ukrainian territory, and force regime change in Russia), but yeah, there are multiple outcomes that could be deemed a "win."  So, maybe my question is "presuming a middle of the road goal like pushing the Russians back to the line of contact on February 23rd."

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There is no way that Russia has a manpower advantage. Ukraine had a significant advantage in manpower prior to Russia's mobilization. Even with an additional 300,000, Russia would still be, at best, roughly even (and probably not even that). That said, a lot of Ukraine's manpower is caught up in territorial defense forces. In terms of attacking forces, the Russians may have more just because the Russians don't seem to give a fuck about training them. 

• Hook 'Em 2