Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If they announce a massive mobilization in a few months, wonder if he’ll still let Russians leave the country.  It was smart to let several hundred thousand go, releasing some pressure as they probably would have caused problems.

But the resentment of those who can’t leave and then get called up will grow, and I Imagine they will have to hit Moscow and St. Petersburg hard.

Remember a few months back when you swore mobilization was a political impossibility? 😉

Never underestimate the ability of Russians to eat a shit sandwich and like it.

• Hook 'Em 4

We still have GITMO. But nah, fuck em. Deport their asses via the Bering Straits. Walk back to Moscow Sergay. (misspelled on purpose cuz fuck Russia.)  

I felt this way at first. Then I was listening to a Russian who made his way to Europe and was doing productive work. His take was that’s all well and good to say when you’re sitting in the West, but impossible to actually do in a totalitarian state like Russia. So it’s basically sending Russians who didn’t ask for and don’t want the war into the meat grinder for no purpose. If they want to send their best and brightest to work and be trained in the West, I’m cool with that. It further marginalizes Russia in the long term.
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Remember a few months back when you swore mobilization was a political impossibility? 😉

In my defense, I didn’t think he’d let so many Russians flee the country, and I thought they’d have to hit up Moscow and St. Petersburg more than they did.

That 300,000 or so that they claimed to mobilize had to be the low-hanging fruit as well.  If they are talking 500,000 or more, they will have to figure out how to supply them, and they will have to hit the urban areas a lot more.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I felt this way at first. Then I was listening to a Russian who made his way to Europe and was doing productive work. His take was that’s all well and good to say when you’re sitting in the West, but impossible to actually do in a totalitarian state like Russia. So it’s basically sending Russians who didn’t ask for and don’t want the war into the meat grinder for no purpose. If they want to send their best and brightest to work and be trained in the West, I’m cool with that. It further marginalizes Russia in the long term.

Understand. But they can also try and change their country from within. 

• Hook 'Em 5

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

In my defense, I didn’t think he’d let so many Russians flee the country, and I thought they’d have to hit up Moscow and St. Petersburg more than they did.

That 300,000 or so that they claimed to mobilize had to be the low-hanging fruit as well.  If they are talking 500,000 or more, they will have to figure out how to supply them, and they will have to hit the urban areas a lot more.

History is inevitably, but man do things hafta get bad before it happens.  

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Parliament said:

History is inevitably, but man do things hafta get bad before it happens.  

I can’t wait to see Solovyov in January/February trying to spin the call-up of half-a-million or more civilians to go fight in the Special Military Operation as it closes in on the one year anniversary. 

I love the State Department’s entry on him

https://www.state.gov/disarming-disinformation/faces-of-kremlin-propaganda/vladimir-solovyov/

Vladimir-Solovyov.png

Vladimir Solovyov may be the most energetic Kremlin propagandist around today. Since 2010, he has served the Kremlin as a prominent radio and television presenter for the state-owned All-Russia State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company (VGTRK). Solovyov, his producers Dina Ayrapetova and Margo Krzhizhevskaya, and his guests flood Russian-language audiences with Guinness World Record-breakingdiatribes of anti-Western and anti-Ukraine disinformation, hatred, and vitriol on a daily basis. 

Novaya Gazeta, an independent Russian newspaper headed by 2021 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Dmitriy Muratov, described Solovyov’s main methods of work as “hate speech, screaming, personal insults and humiliation.” Legendary Russian musician Boris Grebenshikov ridiculed Solovyov’s ardent promotion of falsehoods on behalf of the Kremlin in a song loosely translated as “Evening Bull[crapp]er,” a reference to the “Evening with Vladimir Solovyov” television show.”

The newspaper points out that earlier in his career, Solovyov was a respected independent journalist, but he appears to have flip-flopped on certain issues to keep the favor of the Russian authorities. For example, in 2013 he rejected the idea of annexing Crimea, warning it could lead to an unjustifiable war and described the peninsula as “lawfully belonging to Ukraine.” Yet only one year later, after Russia occupied Crimea, he declared: “We did all we could to hasten this day. Crimea and Sevastopol are once again a part of Russia. Historical justice has prevailed!”

Solovyov admits to owning luxury real estate in Italy, which was seized under recent EU sanctions, even while he tirelessly demonizes European values and charges the West with “Russophobia.” For his hard pro-Kremlin work, the Kremlin awarded Solovyov a state medal, commending his “objective coverage of events in Crimea” in 2014.

Some recent examples of disinformation and propaganda Solovyov spreads on his “Evening with Vladimir Solovyov” television show, the “Full Contact” radio show, and via social media include:

• March 16, 2022: Ukrainians are killing their own civilians to frame Russia, while Russia targets only military targets.
  • March 12, 2022: Pentagon is developing biological weapons in Ukraine.
  • March 6, 2022: Ukrainians are staging fake Russian attacks.
  • February 2, 2022: The United States is planning to impose sanctions on Russian children and seeks to bring chaos to Europe.
  • January 31, 2022: Anglo-Saxons dream of a war between Russia and Ukraine.
  • January 30, 2022: The UK, Poland and Ukraine plan to attack Russia.
  • January 29, 2022: President Zelenskyy is mentally ill, and Kyiv is preparing a massive terrorist attack on the Donbas.
  • January 26, 2022: The United States is pushing Ukraine to war with Russia to destroy European economies and make them dependent upon U.S. liquified natural gas.
  • January 25, 2022: Ukraine is a Nazi state.
  • Hook 'Em 4

It may not seem like a big deal to lose 2-3 out of a 15-man unit, but that’s 15-20% of a unit which affects the unit’s effectiveness, on top of any soldiers that have to deal with wounded.  Even two guys going down (phrasing) means 3-4 (or more) guys having to help them, which takes that entire 15-man unit out of the fight.

• Hook 'Em 3

1000 pages.  I would hope that this war ends with a Ukrainian victory before we get to 2000.....but I expect that it won't end quite that soon.

As noted above, things will have to get really, really, really bad -- much worse than they are today -- for Russia to accept defeat.  As someone who manages conflicts, I am very on-board with that assessment.  Sometimes, you are against an adversary that will not listen to reason until their nose is sufficiently bloodied.  And Russia's pain tolerance (that is, the tolerance the ruling elites have for the suffering of all other Russians) is VERY high.

One thing that is irreversible is how much the rest of Europe is cutting their deep ties with Russia, and realizing that there really IS a defense threat nearby, so maybe they might oughta pay attention to defense.  That's a big positive for Europe, and an utter disaster for Russia.  Russia is condemning itself to being a backwater, again, for a generation or two.  For what?  For nothing.

TLDR: this war is going to take some time, because the adversary is a piece of dick with a high pain tolerance.  But Europe is starting to figure its shit out, so that's good.  Let's stand with Ukraine for the long haul.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Can we talk about the Russian economy…the forecast of total collapse seem wayyyy  overblown.

Predicted contraction of 4%ish? That ain’t enough pain to the average Russian to move the needle, is it?

I naively thought the global community was going to truly isolate Russia and we were going to watch a total collapse of their economy. 

What happened?

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Can we talk about the Russian economy…the forecast of total collapse seem wayyyy  overblown.

Predicted contraction of 4%ish? That ain’t enough pain to the average Russian to move the needle, is it?

I naively thought the global community was going to truly isolate Russia and we were going to watch a total collapse of their economy. 

What happened?

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I hear you. I think that is a western and particularly American response to damn near anything. It is my personal experience traveling the world that our culture encourages squeaky wheels getting greased. “See something, say something” applies to almost every aspect of our society. From the bar to the boardroom a typical American response to hearing a complaint is, “Well why in the hell didn’t you say anything?!” This is often followed by, “You’re right. I’m gonna DO something. Imma let those mother fuckers know about how they’re fucking it up.” You sound like a pretty worldly guy. I think you’ve likely seen it’s not that way most places. Almost universally we see the Japanese axiom “The nail that sticks out gets hammered down” in play. Currently on show in Cuba, China, Iran, Russia, on and on.

We have grown up with the expectation/privilege that we can change from within. Elsewhere, it’s a death sentence.

Excellent summary of the observed contrasts.

It's not unlike a healthy person with good boundaries and a solid emotional IQ asking "why doesn't that woman just leave her abuser?"  It's not nearly that simple.  It would be simple for the healthy person; not so much for the abused person with a lifetime history of emotional and physical abuse and codependency etc.

And as a nation/political entity, we've had WAY too much faith re other countries in the past that "if we just bring them democracy, they'll take to it like a duck to water, because democracy's awesome!"  Politics reflects and incorporates culture which reflects and incorporates history.  Russia's history and cultural norms are, ummm, not favorable for a "popular democratic revolution."

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

This letter bomb stuff feels like 80s cold war shit. Maybe it's time for some russian "businessmen" to be found floating in canals, or having fatal car accidents. 

Along with the spray painted Zs we've seen, I'm wondering if Spain is of particular significance as a target for pro-Russia shit or if we're just hearing about it more there than elsewhere in Europe.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I hear you. I think that is a western and particularly American response to damn near anything. It is my personal experience traveling the world that our culture encourages squeaky wheels getting greased. “See something, say something” applies to almost every aspect of our society. From the bar to the boardroom a typical American response to hearing a complaint is, “Well why in the hell didn’t you say anything?!” This is often followed by, “You’re right. I’m gonna DO something. Imma let those mother fuckers know about how they’re fucking it up.” You sound like a pretty worldly guy. I think you’ve likely seen it’s not that way most places. Almost universally we see the Japanese axiom “The nail that sticks out gets hammered down” in play. Currently on show in Cuba, China, Iran, Russia, on and on.

We have grown up with the expectation/privilege that we can change from within. Elsewhere, it’s a death sentence.

Understand the perspective. And @Brisketexan 's follow up. But I also understand when the people leave evil wins. Without going into the other countries and their situation lets focus on Russia. How many men left? That is one hell of a protest movement. Meanwhile they are now sitting in other countries, few are going to get jobs, and that creates new issues for the host nation. Georgia needs to handle how many Russians? 

In every country I have worked/lived, most in some sort of conflict, this is something seen. I will mention Venezuela. The refugees are creating issues in Colombia and Ecuador, who then ask us to kick more cash to them. And wait for the next exodus from Haiti. Its coming. 

TL:DNR- Fuckers run and become another countries problem. 

• Hook 'Em 8

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Ok. The US has a clearly defined visa application process, and embassies everywhere. They don’t have to sneak across the Rio Grande. Or, maybe pick another nation to Grace with their Russian peace-loving non-aggressive selves. 

• Hook 'Em 2

WSJ doing real investigative reporting-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ships-link ... lead_story

Vessels linked to Russia’s largest grain trader shipped thousands of tons of stolen Ukrainian grain to global buyers, using a sophisticated system of feeder vessels and floating cranes, according to an investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

The ships are linked either through their management or ownership to companies controlled by Russian businessman Peter Khodykin, who in turn owns RIF Trading House LLC, the country’s largest grain exporter and a big player in global grain markets, according to corporate and legal documents reviewed by the Journal.

The Journal has previously reported widespread theft of grain and land in Russian-occupied Ukraine, including detailing an intricate system by which smugglers clandestinely trucked out large amounts of stolen grain from newly occupied farms in eastern Ukraine to Crimea, which Russia annexed in 2014.

The next step in the smuggling process: moving that stolen Ukrainian grain from Crimea to global buyers. A fleet of small vessels ferry smuggled grain, typically from the Crimean port of Sevastopol, to larger cargo ships waiting at sea, where they transfer their cargo with the help of crane-equipped vessels, according to the Journal’s investigation. Those larger ships then set sail for far-flung ports.

Such at-sea transfers can hide the true provenance of the ships’ cargoes, which buyers might shun if they suspected the grain came from Russia-occupied eastern Ukraine. The transfers allow big container ships, which can be easily recognized in port or from satellite imagery, to avoid calling at Sevastopol. Sometimes the stolen Ukrainian grain is mixed with Russian grain, to further disguise the cargo’s origins.

“It’s wheat laundering,” said Yoruk Isik, head of the Istanbul-based Bosphorus Observer, an independent ship-tracking consulting firm. “They made it really hard to track.”

June 5: Ship-tracking data show the Emmakris II, a large bulk carrier, arriving in the Black Sea, having sailed from Saudi Arabia. The M. Andreev, a small feeder ship, meanwhile, had been operating in the days before around the Kerch Strait.
June 11: A few days later, Petra II, a crane ship, is captured by satellite imagery sandwiched between the Emmakris II and a different feeder ship. Ukrainian intelligence and maritime experts say it was loading grain at sea.
June 14: Ship-tracking data and satellite imagery show the M. Andreev, the Emmakris II and the Petra II operating in the vicinity of the Kerch Strait. Ukraine intelligence say the M. Andreev was loaded with barley from Sevastopol.
June 15: Ship-tracking data showed the three ships alongside each other for seven hours. Here, the barley was loaded from the M. Andreev, according to maritime experts and Ukrainian intelligence. Satellite imagery then picks up the M. Andreev breaking off.
Sept. 4: The Emmakris II lists its intended port of destination in Iraq, after sailing from the Kerch Strait through the Bosporus and Suez Canal. It never recorded a port call.

Ukrainian authorities and maritime and grain-market analysts have identified Sevastopol as a key entrepôt for stolen grain brought in by truck or rail from eastern Ukraine. Sevastopol shipped about 848,400 tons of grains, such as wheat and barley, from the beginning of March through October, nearly 15 times as much as the same period last year, according to Geneva-based researcher AgFlow.

In one such at-sea transfer of cargo coming from the port this summer, a crane ship managed and owned by companies linked to Mr. Khodykin loaded a large cargo ship—also managed and owned by the same companies—with grain near the Kerch Strait, a narrow waterway connecting the Black Sea and the Azov Sea, according to Ukrainian intelligence reports, satellite imagery, shipping data and maritime analysts.

Mr. Isik’s Bosphorus Observer helped identify some of the ships involved in Kerch Strait smuggling by matching verified photos and video with satellite imagery, using characteristics such as the placement of cranes and hatches on the ships. The Initiative for the Study of Russian Piracy, a Washington-based group of researchers and former U.S. officials funded by a Ukrainian industrial group, also provided ship-tracking data and corporate documentation. The data and documents were corroborated by the Journal.

Mr. Khodykin couldn’t be reached for comment. RIF said it has nothing to do with Ukrainian grain theft. “We value our reputation and comply with the legislation of the Russian Federation and all international rules,” the company said via email. RIF said that it carefully checks the origin of all its cargoes. Russian officials have also denied the theft of Ukrainian grain.

RIF, based in the city of Rostov-on-Don on the Azov Sea, is Russia’s largest exporter of grain, according to the country’s main grain trade body. According to Russian corporate documents dated as recently as April this year, Mr. Khodykin is RIF’s owner.

From April to September, Sevastopol shipped 662,000 tons of grain, compared with 36,000 tons the year before, according to AgFlow. Companies controlled by or benefiting Mr. Khodykin were involved in about a third of this year’s excess exports, according to ISRP researchers. That estimate took into account ISRP-tracked bulk carriers, tugboats, cranes and other auxiliary ships owned or managed by companies linked to Mr. Khodykin that either delivered grain or assisted in transshipments.

For instance, on June 14, the Russian-flagged M. Andreev, a small feeder ship, arrived in the vicinity of the Kerch Strait, loaded with barley from Sevastopol, according to a Ukrainian intelligence document. Near the strait, it came alongside the Panama-flagged Emmakris II, which had arrived earlier in the month, according to ship-tracking data from Spire Global.

The Emmakris II has been managed since 2020 by Dubai-based MCF Shipping DMCC, according to Equasis, a shipping database. It is listed as owned by an affiliate of MCF Shipping. MCF Shipping, in turn, shares a corporate website registrant and administrator with GTCS Trading DMCC, another Dubai company that a 2019 Moscow arbitration court document identified as being beneficially owned by RIF’s Mr. Khodykin. The company also goes by GTCS Trading JLT.

MCF Shipping is located in a Dubai office building next to GTCS Trading. Employees of the two companies say on their LinkedIn profiles that they work for both companies. One employee of GTCS reached by phone by the Journal said the two companies were the same. GTCS was also the majority owner of RIF until April this year, when ownership changed to Mr. Khodykin, according to a database that aggregates information about Russian companies.

On June 15, both ships, the Emmakris II and the M. Andreev, appeared on ship-tracking sites next to each other, along with another ship with a mounted crane. The three ships were nestled together for more than seven hours, according to ship-tracking data and a Ukrainian intelligence document, which said the M. Andreev offloaded its grain at this point.

The crane ship, Petra II, is also managed by MCF Shipping, the Dubai-based company linked to Mr. Khodykin, according to the Equasis shipping database. It is owned by an affiliate of MCF Shipping.

The flotilla was joined by two more feeder ships, this time arriving from Russia. They moored alongside the Emmakris II, according to satellite images from Planet Labs PBC that were reviewed by the Journal. Ukrainian officials say Russia mixes Russian grain with stolen Ukrainian grain to make it harder to track.

Emmakris II then got under way, moving first into the Black Sea and then through the Bosporus on July 10, according to ship-tracking data from Spire Global.

The ship then sailed to the Persian Gulf, where its tracking transponder stopped transmitting, making it invisible to ship trackers. When the ship reappeared on Sept. 4, it listed its destination as Umm Qasr, Iraq. The ship never recorded a port call in Iraq, however, according to ship-tracking data. Its final destination on that voyage couldn’t be determined.

Since September, the Emmakris II has made two more trips through the Black Sea to the Kerch Strait, according to ship-tracking data. The ship returned to the Persian Gulf on the first of those trips. The ship left the Black Sea again earlier in November and transited the Suez Canal on its way to the Red Sea.

Write to Jared Malsin at jared.malsin@wsj.com, Anna Hirtenstein at anna.hirtenstein@wsj.com and Alistair MacDonald at alistair.macdonald@wsj.com

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

If you are American, your ancestors did something about their situation. They got up and went to a new place for a fresh start. For many of them, that new place was hostile, and they had to fight to survive. And it turned out the old place was still trying to screw them over, so they had to fight a revolution and kick the king's men out. Some of them moved to Texas for a fresh fresh start, and had to fight another revolution. If you're ancestors goes back very far, revolution is pretty much bred into you as an American. But even if it doesn't chances are your ancestors were the kind who got up and left their old country to go somewhere new. 

Old World countries? Well, there's just been pretty much the same people for hundreds or even thousands of years. Doing nothing but get by.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If you are American, your ancestors did something about their situation. They got up and went to a new place for a fresh start. For many of them, that new place was hostile, and they had to fight to survive. And it turned out the old place was still trying to screw them over, so they had to fight a revolution and kick the king's men out. Some of them moved to Texas for a fresh fresh start, and had to fight another revolution. If you're ancestors goes back very far, revolution is pretty much bred into you as an American. But even if it doesn't chances are your ancestors were the kind who got up and left their old country to go somewhere new. 

Old World countries? Well, there's just been pretty much the same people for hundreds or even thousands of years. Doing nothing but get by.

And over those couple of centuries we've been around, a lot of the people who did something about their situation came from many different far flung countries.  Some of them escaping war or persecution.  Maybe both.  

The more things change...

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, statsman said:

Ok. The US has a clearly defined visa application process, and embassies everywhere. They don’t have to sneak across the Rio Grande. Or, maybe pick another nation to Grace with their Russian peace-loving non-aggressive selves. 

Are we accepting Russians at our embassies?  I have no idea.  That in itself may've influenced a trip via Mexico.  Like I said, I don't know.  

Another recent piece I heard on NPR was mentioning people moving to Israel. https://www.npr.org/2022/11/19/1135572325/russian-jewish-artists-exile-israel-russia-ukraine-war

I'm not saying they should all come here.  I'm saying I understand not wanting to die for an evil man engaged in evil endeavors.  I also understand not undertaking what may be a suicide mission to try and change the country and culture you were born into.  I believe most people - even Russians - just want to leave in peace and be left the fuck alone.  I imagine if you are in a shitty country that's about to fling you into a shit storm, you'll go just about anywhere to avoid it.  In short, I see both sides.  We made change, so why can't they?  On the other hand, why sit in a fire hydrant worth of shit that isn't stopping when you can go somewhere there is far less shit?   The modern individual Russian's dilemma.  I think of that Russian YouTuber who gave great explanations about what was happening inside Russia early on before bugging to Kazakhstan or wherever by foot.  What use is it for that old dude to get conscripted and die in Ukraine?  He's not changing anything in Russia.  Would I rather see him die trying to defeat Putin?  Nah. 

Don't get it twisted, I'm 100% for Ukraine and I'd prefer the Russkies who disagree with the war do something at home to change it.  But I get why some would rather get the fuck out.  That's all.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Understand the perspective. And @Brisketexan 's follow up. But I also understand when the people leave evil wins. Without going into the other countries and their situation lets focus on Russia. How many men left? That is one hell of a protest movement. Meanwhile they are now sitting in other countries, few are going to get jobs, and that creates new issues for the host nation. Georgia needs to handle how many Russians? 

In every country I have worked/lived, most in some sort of conflict, this is something seen. I will mention Venezuela. The refugees are creating issues in Colombia and Ecuador, who then ask us to kick more cash to them. And wait for the next exodus from Haiti. Its coming. 

TL:DNR- Fuckers run and become another countries problem. 

Rather than another country’s problem, immigrants are overwhelmingly positive members of society as workers, tax payers, and consumers.  More immigrants = higher population = higher GDP = greater economic standing in the world.  We should all be actively trying to drain the Russian population, while increasing our own and that our allies.  

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Rather than another country’s problem, immigrants are overwhelmingly positive members of society as workers, tax payers, and consumers.  More immigrants = higher population = higher GDP = greater economic standing in the world.  We should all be actively trying to drain the Russian population, while increasing our own and that our allies.  

Especially hot Russian big titted women. No need for mail order, just hit them up on Tinder. I'm sure Austin, DFW, Houston, and San Antonio have a few refugees coming around. Probably some Ukrainian ones as well.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Ukes
  • Hook 'Em 2