Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

29 minutes ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Explain yourself.

You must have quoted the wrong Zeihan tweet -- the one you originally posted was about how Apple is too intertwined with China.

I would never criticize a post with a pic of Sanna Marin, especially a post about her being a bold boss lady.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

56 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Sorry if off topic, but can someone explain to me how Russia lost tons of territory in Eastern Europe but held onto Kalingrad. That seems like a big security risk in the middle of NATO country.

That sliver was added to Russia proper after WWII.  Then they ethnic cleansed it with almost nothing but Russians.  When the USSR fell apart there was no one with the bright (and right) idea to break away.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And only piloted by trusted oligarchs and chechyns. I see it like this..... Or maybe they have WonderWoman? 

image.png.ce921ff8b65e4c6669ebda16eda87dc4.png

I always thought the invisible jet was so fucking stupid. The jet was invisible, but not you. Looks like you are squatting to take a shit at 600 knots from 35k feet. How is that clandestine? But Wonder Woman made it look good, even the cartoon version.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Sorry if off topic, but can someone explain to me how Russia lost tons of territory in Eastern Europe but held onto Kalingrad. That seems like a big security risk in the middle of NATO country.

last time borders were drawn was after WWII, when the red army was sitting in berlin.  at that point, the soviet union (read:russia) moved the border of germany and poland west, and also moved the border between poland and the belarus  to the west.  the border between belarus and russia has basically been the same since 1919.   pretty much all of russia's western border has been the same since 1919. 

45 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

That sliver was added to Russia proper after WWII.  Then they ethnic cleansed it with almost nothing but Russians.  When the USSR fell apart there was no one with the bright (and right) idea to break away.

important to that, i think, is that kaliningrad was not its own SSR, rather it was an oblast within russia, populated mostly (after the expulsion of germans to germany) by russians.  this is different from, say, lithuania SSR, latvian SSR, or belarusian SSR, which were populated mostly by lithuanians, latvians, and belarusians, respectively. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

last time borders were drawn was after WWII, when the red army was sitting in berlin.  at that point, the soviet union (read:russia) moved the border of germany and poland west, and also moved the border between poland and the belarus  to the west.  the border between belarus and russia has basically been the same since 1919.   pretty much all of russia's western border has been the same since 1919. 

important to that, i think, is that kaliningrad was not its own SSR, rather it was an oblast within russia, populated mostly (after the expulsion of germans to germany) by russians.  this is different from, say, lithuania SSR, latvian SSR, or belarusian SSR, which were populated mostly by lithuanians, latvians, and belarusians, respectively. 

Yes to all of this. Kaliningrad was Königsberg, which had been part of Prussia and later the easternmost German city in the interwar period, separated by independent Poland from Germany. 

At Potsdam the USSR received Königsberg, they expelled the German population, attached it to the RSFSR and resettled with Russians. The USSR fractured along the fault lines of its constituent republics and Kaliningrad as an oblast populated by Russians stayed attached as an exclave to the Russian Federation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Saw the news on Moldovia earlier. Wonder how they will retreat? How are they being resupplied? Talk about a cut off unit. 

There’s about 1,500 troops in Transnistria. They aren’t involved in active combat.  Russia has the airlift capacity to move that many people out (see Kazakhstan earlier this year) and would presumably do that. 

Russia blames Ukraine for them still being there, they claim they’d leave if they could solve the issue of an armaments depot but that since 2014 Ukraine won’t let them all transit Ukraine. It’s a bullshit excuse, of course. 

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There’s about 1,500 troops in Transnistria. They aren’t involved in active combat.  Russia has the airlift capacity to move that many people out (see Kazakhstan earlier this year) and would presumably do that. 

Russia blames Ukraine for them still being there, they claim they’d leave if they could solve the issue of an armaments depot but that since 2014 Ukraine won’t let them all transit Ukraine. It’s a bullshit excuse, of course. 

Understand That is part of the issue. Why would Ukraine allow them to leave? From what I have read these are real troops. 

Would take some diplomacy to get them out and meanwhile they are a threat to Ukraine's rear. Not a bit one, but one none the less. Any idea how they are being supplied? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Understand That is part of the issue. Why would Ukraine allow them to leave? From what I have read these are real troops. 
Would take some diplomacy to get them out and meanwhile they are a threat to Ukraine's rear. Not a bit one, but one none the less. Any idea how they are being supplied? 

Ukraine should supply them with rapidly moving lead.
  • Hook 'Em 7

Unless there are actual war crimes trials of the leaders (there won’t be), they’ll be able to shove it under the carpet, although I’m sure there will be resentment for any of those who bailed for other countries try to come back, not to mention the officials who are blamed for this.

And at this point, if Putin were replaced by somebody who was able to change the direction of Russia and work to make amends with Ukraine and Europe, I could see the rest of the world (except for a lot of Ukrainians) trying to forget it happened and chalking it up to 100% Putin’s fault.

But this is going to be a dark period for quite a while for them.  All of the men who fled Russia or who were mobilized were able to make a dent on lowering unemployment under sanctions for those who remained, but just imagine what happens if hundreds of thousands come back and are demobilized with nothing and expected to find non-existent work.

• Hook 'Em 1