Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 hours ago, Nivek said:

So I read about the Russian military leader dying and wondered if in history there is any precedence for replacing your leaders this often and getting the outcome you wanted.  I recall Athen's executed its generals after a surprise victory, (for failing to rescue sailors as a storm rolled in) and lost the war because of it.  

Churchill/Brits went through some high level staff changes in north Africa. The French sacked a few high level generals/marshals in WW1. Not sure I would qualify the changes as often though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The qualities of an officer that earns him/her promotions in peace time are often very different from the ones that get you promoted once the shooting starts.  You can bullshit and schmooze your way to a high rank in a peace time army.  It's much harder to do that on the battlefield. 

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 6

Here's a great report from Vice News from Bakhmut. It covers a mortar team, the firefighters still there, some of the injured, but most of the story focuses on Sonya, a nine year old who is the only child still remaining there. Frankly, I think her parents are whackos for still being there, but it's still a touching segment:

• Hook 'Em 3

We’ve seen this guy’s footage (nucking futs Yuri), and a few nights ago he was on Funker for nearly two hours talking about everything.  He’s actually with the Ukrainian military these days (since July) and was Foreign Legion before that.  Lots of discussion about the fighting, about equipment, etc.

there’s plenty of footage and photos, but you could listen to it in the background and watch the individual videos later

• Hook 'Em 1

The Dumas voting to legalize war crimes, a war crime in itself. Pretty handy of them to create a clean, written record of their criminality.
All I want for Christmas is a complete Russian defeat, creating the opportunity for Brisket to spend his retirement volunteering as a paralegal at The Hague to help out with the thousands of trials to come.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Been covered before, Nazi means something different in Russia. It isn't about anti-Semitism. 

To a Russian, Nazi means anyone that opposes their will and desire to invade, rape, kill and conquer them.   So a "Boogeyman" who opposes Russia conquering them.

• Hook 'Em 1

That Kraken video is some serious Band of Brothers shit.  I do not mean to trivialize war or make it seem its for my viewing pleasure.  With that said, God Bless those UKR soldiers; that is some intense stuff we are seeing.  Couldn't imagine myself having to do that to save my Country, I mean i would in a second, but in the year 2022, to see close contact combat almost in real time is something else.  My goodness.  We are so blessed to live in the USA; no CR intended.  I  know that blessing should not be taken for granted and we are far from perfect here, but man what those guys are going through, sheesh.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

I thought the Azov Batallion were Nazi's?  Confused.

54 minutes ago, ABSR said:

To a Russian, Nazi means anyone that opposes their will and desire to invade, rape, kill and conquer them.   So a "Boogeyman" who opposes Russia conquering them.

Ukrainians who believe in Ukraine as a nation, aka Ukraine nationalists, are Nazis to the Russians.  It gets lost in the translation and people think WWII Nazis, and Russia is more than happy when people conflate the two.  Russians look down on Ukrainians, Georgians, Moldovans, Belarusians, etc. who see themselves as being a part of a separate nation from Russia, and Putin has said this in the past - he really bElieves these people are all the same people, just confused about their national identities.

Reminder: the Soviets partnered up with the actual Nazis to divide Europe before a Germany turned on them.

The Dumas voting to legalize war crimes, a war crime in itself. Pretty handy of them to create a clean, written record of their criminality.
All I want for Christmas is a complete Russian defeat, creating the opportunity for Brisket to spend his retirement volunteering as a paralegal at The Hague to help out with the thousands of trials to come.

Then I will volunteer as an investigator.

I will specialize in interviewing young Russian widows to find out what they know about any crimes from talking to their late husbands.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

because the military was inept and ineffective, partially out of neglect during Yanukovych's presidency (he purposefully gutted the military and strengthened the secret services as a Putin stooge who was trying to become president for life),

Wonder how close Yanukovych was to pulling off a Lukashenko.  Obviously the revolution made the difference, and enough young people saw that he was setting himself up to be dictator for life that they got out there and did something, but yeah, he and Lukashenko were running off of the same playbook from Putin.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Wonder how close Yanukovych was to pulling off a Lukashenko.  Obviously the revolution made the difference, and enough young people saw that he was setting himself up to be dictator for life that they got out there and did something, but yeah, he and Lukashenko were running off of the same playbook from Putin.

Very close. It happened twice. People forget about the Orange Revolution from November 2004 to January 2005. Basically protests forced a revote, which Yanukovych lost after winning what was considered a rigged vote earlier. 

Honestly, if Yanukovych had been willing to be even more brutal than he was and go all Assad during the Maidan Revolution, maybe he's still in power. Although at this point I'll never count out the Ukrainians. I'm not sure there's a braver people anywhere in the world. I wish we were doing even more than we are for them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Then I will volunteer as an investigator.

I will specialize in interviewing young Russian widows to find out what they know about any crimes from talking to their late husbands.

Evidently the Russian women don't mind their husbands raping as much as you'd think.

https://news.sky.com/story/wives-of-russian-troops-encourage-them-to-rape-ukrainian-women-ukraines-first-lady-says-12757474

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray
  • Rage+1 3