Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Sounds like another step forward for the leopards and additional support.

German defense chief reportedly set to quit ahead of key Ukraine tank decision

Lambrecht’s leadership style has come under fire, especially for failing to implement an increase in military spending pledged by Chancellor Scholz.

https://www.politico.eu/article/christine-lambrecht-resignation-german-defense-minister-ukraine-war-tank-decision/

Spoiler

Germany’s controversial Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht is reportedly set to step down as early as Monday, suffering the consequences from a series of blunders that hurt her credibility and increasingly weighed on Chancellor Olaf Scholz and his declared sea-change in German defense policy.

The news of Lambrecht’s expected resignation — which, more than 18 hours after a first report by German media outlet Bild, has been neither officially denied nor confirmed — plunges Scholz’s government into uncertainty less than a week ahead of a crucial meeting of Western defense officials.

The news comes amid growing international pressure to support Ukraine with German-made Leopard battle tanks. The U.K. on Saturday agreed to send next-generation Challenger tanks to the Ukrainian battlefield. 

Two officials in Berlin confirmed that Lambrecht’s immediate departure has been discussed in her Social Democratic Party (SPD). One official conceded that the leaked information about the expected resignation had left the government in turmoil as Scholz had not yet officially decided on a potential successor, causing a communication fiasco. A government spokesperson declined late Friday to comment on “rumors.” Lambrecht’s spokesperson could not be reached for a comment.

Lambrecht’s expected resignation is a bitter setback for Scholz, who had long defended his minister against mounting criticism and just two weeks ago said via a spokesperson that he considered her a “first-class defense minister.” Letting Lambrecht go would also mean an admission that the Social Democratic chancellor picked the wrong person for the job when he formed his government just over a year ago.

There is also a possibility that Scholz might use the occasion to announce a broader government reshuffle.

Since the start of the war in Ukraine, Lambrecht’s leadership style has come under fire, especially for failing to implement an increase in military spending pledged by Scholz under his Zeitenwende sea change in German defense and security policy, and despite the creation of a €100 billion investment fund for the Bundeswehr, the German armed forces. POLITICO reported last month that criticism was mounting amid ammunition shortages and revelations that Germany’s bold promise to invest “from now on, year after year” at least 2 percent of its economic output in defense had been put on hold, making the country a laggard in the NATO military alliance.

5,000 helmets

Lambrecht had also faced strong criticism for celebrating an early delivery of 5,000 helmets to Ukraine at the beginning of last year as “a clear signal” of support, then by taking her son on a helicopter flight as part of a personal holiday. The minister also lacked authority among her own troops and caused a stir when, six months into her job, she admitted in an interview to still not know the military service grades.

An awkward video published on social media on New Year’s Eve was likely the tipping point for Germany’s defense minister, prompting even close allies in her party to take distance. Standing against the backdrop of Berlin’s fireworks, Lambrecht said the war was “linked with many special impressions” and “many, many encounters with interesting, special people.”

Moreover, Lambrecht’s authority was widely seen as undermined after Scholz and U.S. President Joe Biden announced on January 5 that they would jointly send infantry fighting vehicles to Ukraine, despite Lambrecht just weeks earlier (at a time when Scholz and Biden had already discussed the delivery) saying that Germany had no such armored vehicles available.

This, as well as the fact that Lambrecht’s ministry had been left scrambling in recent days to organize the promised vehicles following Scholz’s announcement, prompted suggestions that the defense minister had not been closely involved in Scholz’s planning, although the government disputed that.

Western defense ministers will meet on Friday at the Ramstein military base in Germany, where Berlin is expected to allow partner countries like Poland and Finland to send their German-made Leopard battle tanks to Ukraine. German Vice Chancellor Robert Habeck already said on Thursday that Berlin should not stand in the way if partner countries wanted to organize such deliveries, and a government spokesperson said on Friday that Scholz shared Habeck’s position.

In saying on Saturday that it had agreed to send Challenger 2 tanks to Ukraine, the U.K. government noted “other international commitments in this vein, including Poland’s offer to provide a company of Leopard tanks,” according to a statement.

Scholz will now have to quickly nominate a successor for Lambrecht ahead of the key Ramstein meeting, with Eva Högl, the parliamentary commissioner for the armed forces, and Siemtje Möller, the junior defense minister — both also from the SPD — being named as potential candidates. Other potential names are SPD co-leader Lars Klingbeil, the SPD’s Labor Minister Hubertus Heil, and the SPD’s Wolfgang Schmidt, the head of Scholz’s chancellery.

Given that Interior Minister Nancy Faeser, also from the SPD, is expected to soon announce a run for prime minister in the German state of Hesse, which will hold elections in October, Scholz might also announce a broader reshuffle.

• Hook 'Em 3

Pretty good discussion on what the Bradley brings to the table. 

1) Not ideal against a tank, but can turn a BMP into swiss cheese, while surviving hits from them. 

2) Great night vision.

3) Can network with HIMARS and call down the thunder.

Being Germany, I presume he'll "quit" with a cyanide pill and PPK bullet?

image.thumb.png.35d730583184985bfa72ef6532a16a6e.png

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The United States is the only nation with the leadership, existing stocks, and MIC base to make this possible in the short to medium term. 

EU unity will fragment if the U.S. stops. The close countries that care the most simply don’t have the capacity to keep sending stuff. For example, the Czechs announced this week that they are out of existing equipment to send without jeopardizing their own readiness, they will now help other partners purchase stuff and offer factories to refit. The Poles have more but are reliant on incoming orders to backfill. 

956WW, let me just say upfront that I defer to your vastly greater knowledge of the players and politics involved.  But to be clear, I said that Ukraine’s neighbors had the resources to prolong the war if we withdrew our support, not win it.  I still believe that’s true. I also don’t think the US will withdraw our support unless and until a January 2025 new Congress and President are installed who will end aid to Ukraine. 

And I may be horribly naïve, but I am not 100% sure that Poland and Finland would just accept a Russian defeat of Ukraine if America bailed and not enter as conventional war participants.  Granted, it might be smarter to watch Russia trying to hold Ukraine first before that happens. If Afghanistan was too draining to the Soviet Union - then Russia trying to hold Ukraine would be a resource drain on an exponential scale.

I know nothing about German politics. Is the recent sacking of the German defense minister a change in the right direction  - or is it just more Germany looking at Ukraine and saying “I’m just not that into you?”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It’s well established that the logistics tail of the Abrams is problematic for use in Ukraine. That said, as soon as Olaf said he’s not sending Leopards until we send Abrams, I think we should call his bluff and get some Abrams over there soon and let the UA use them as rearward security around Kiev, etc. which frees up armor they may have in those positions to go to the front, or where they can make it work at the front with Jet A, 4gal/mile consumption, etc.

Then full court press on him to get the Leopards in there with the Challys, Bradleys, the Soviet stuff, etc. and make a push at the front with the diesel rigs.

I have no military training but when Olaf put such stupid shit out there that he’s waiting on Abrams, it’s very easy for us to satisfy his only stipulation and put the ball right back in his court.

I don’t know if we’re concerned about losing some Abrams or not, which is a different issue, which may have some merit, but GD has a new prototype operating and we could send some units lacking the latest doo-dads if we were concerns the Russians would grab one. Olaf didn’t say which Abrams, he just said Abrams.

Also the UA has seemingly been extremely responsible with HIMARS, no (reported) losses yet, no regrettable targeting of civilians in Russia. Sidebar - can you imagine the sales data this is generating for HIMARS? (~50,000 rockets fired, with 48,000 verified hits on target without a single vehicle lost!) Numbers made up, but I would like to be the Lockheed sales rep for this product.

Also, since Russia is back to lobbing ballistic missiles or whatever at civilian areas, I think it would be great for us to quietly take the choke off the HIMARS range, quietly send a few ATACMS, and help the UA stick the banana back in the Russians tailpipe.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On second thought, don’t QUIETLY go full HIMARS and ATACMS, just say it out loud: “in response to Russia lobbing missiles at Ukrainian civilians, we’re increasing the range and payload of the systems we’ve supplied in an attempt to convince Russia to stop this behavior. “

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

956WW, let me just say upfront that I defer to your vastly greater knowledge of the players and politics involved.  But to be clear, I said that Ukraine’s neighbors had the resources to prolong the war if we withdrew our support, not win it.  I still believe that’s true. I also don’t think the US will withdraw our support unless and until a January 2025 new Congress and President are installed who will end aid to Ukraine. 

And I may be horribly naïve, but I am not 100% sure that Poland and Finland would just accept a Russian defeat of Ukraine if America bailed and not enter as conventional war participants.  Granted, it might be smarter to watch Russia trying to hold Ukraine first before that happens. If Afghanistan was too draining to the Soviet Union - then Russia trying to hold Ukraine would be a resource drain on an exponential scale.

I know nothing about German politics. Is the recent sacking of the German defense minister a change in the right direction  - or is it just more Germany looking at Ukraine and saying “I’m just not that into you?”

I think they’d try, I’m just trying to emphasize the extent that this is made possible by the United States and it’s not really close. Some of the small nations are heroes—- they’re giving at a rate far above what their GDP and size says they should— but quantity has a quality of its own. And the U.S. security guarantee is what makes them feel comfortable digging so deep. 

image.thumb.png.baf80b15855179b432d4bd7ebf599cb4.png

Germany’s Ukraine policy is run from the chancellor’s office and the defense minister just implements. Lambrecht leaving is mostly related to domestic missteps. She’ll be replaced with an other social democrat loyalist. 

However, her presence at the ministry— building off a long career of doing nothing at all related to security and defense— is indicative of German unseriousness on defense. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 686 said:

On second thought, don’t QUIETLY go full HIMARS and ATACMS, just say it out loud: “in response to Russia lobbing missiles at Ukrainian civilians, we’re increasing the range and payload of the systems we’ve supplied in an attempt to convince Russia to stop this behavior. “

Correct. Openly announce what’s coming and explain the behavior it’s aimed at stopping, and make clear that it’s irrational for Russia to treat it as some sort of escalation. Say out loud the bounds of rational response and dictate the terms. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think they’d try, I’m just trying to emphasize the extent that this is made possible by the United States and it’s not really close. Some of the small nations are heroes—- they’re giving at a rate far above what their GDP and size says they should— but quantity has a quality of its own. And the U.S. security guarantee is what makes them feel comfortable digging so deep. 

image.thumb.png.baf80b15855179b432d4bd7ebf599cb4.png

Germany’s Ukraine policy is run from the chancellor’s office and the defense minister just implements. Lambrecht leaving is mostly related to domestic missteps. She’ll be replaced with an other social democrat loyalist. 

However, her presence at the ministry— building off a long career of doing nothing at all related to security and defense— is indicative of German unseriousness on defense. 

but quantity has a quality of its own”

I used this phrase the other day as well. Somewhere in Hell Stalin is smiling that one of the few truthful things he ever said is being repeated so often lately.    The chart is telling. 

Do you know what they have received versus promised? 

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I used this phrase the other day as well. Somewhere in Hell Stalin is smiling that one of the few truthful things he ever said is being repeated so often lately.    The chart is telling. 

It’s hard to get a good sense, especially with the bigger ticket items. We announce dollar amounts but not always numbers and deliveries are dependent on training and logistics.  

The general rule is that Poles and the Eastern Europeans get their stuff in fast, we take a bit longer, and the Germans get dragged for promising and then not delivering for ages. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Germany has many, many flaws. Administrative incompetence is not one of them. They know exactly what they are doing. I think they have decided how this war should end (Jkraine losing land to Russia) and are passive aggressively working to that. 
Edited- I know that sounds crazy, but they are just different. Their former chancellor, Gerhard Schroeder, is actually still a lobbyist for Russia!

Edited by statsman
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah, been absolutely balls deep at work since the spring and haven't posted as much as I would have liked...particularly given the absolute plethora (no/ElGuapo) of quality content that could be derived from this shitshow of a federal government.

I'll be in Berlin all week from tomorrow morning early, so I should have a long train ride to try to capture the clusterfuckery of this government. Hell, who knows, maybe Christine Lambrecht will still be Federal Defense Minister, or maybe she won't...or maybe she and Scholz will just keep ignoring the questions whether she plans to resign or not.

Hell, does it really matter? The creation of "Schrödinger's Bundesminister for Defense" during the largest European war since 1945 is par for the course for this idiot Regierung. 

But we still think Annalena Baerbock is sexy, right?
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I thought that quote was from Napoleon.

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Olaf doesn't deserve his surname.

“ He had tears streaming down his face as he told me, ‘You are the greatest Chancellor Germany has ever had!’.    He was a burly man.  Manly man. Everyone said he was very well educated.”

Dammit brisket!! this is why you read the full thread before you  post

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Seems like a security risk to just let random people come up and stop the German Chancellor while he's out and about. You ever seen any of our Presidents out on a jog? It's like he's in a human popemobile. 

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

“After the Polish man told me that I said ‘Hey, Pollock, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.’ And he says, ‘Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.’ So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.”

-Scholz 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ABSR said:

“After the Polish man told me that I said ‘Hey, Pollock, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.’ And he says, ‘Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive potato.’  

So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.”

-Scholz 

fify

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Fascinating.   You can bet he fled nowhere until he had assurances he would not be immediately extradited to Ukraine.  I can only assume that Ukraine and the USA are OK with this, as his well publicized testimony will put a worldwide spotlight on Russian war crimes - which has to help with world opinion - and maybe assist in pressuring arms deliveries.  

• Hook 'Em 5