Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

https://law.utexas.edu/athenaeum/event_2023-02-07/

February 7th.  Gary Kasparov will be on campus to discuss Ukraine/Russia.  For those interested in Austin, will be at the Powers SAC (please register above).

We can meet at Posse or C&A beforehand for dinner. 

Will there be time to take that bastard on in a game of chess?  Because I've been looking into it.....those horsey guy thingies move in a funky L-shape, so I can do some moves with those that I bet he won't see comin'.

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Imma go out in a limb.  You could totally beat him.  No way he could hang with your clever ledge-lawyer brain. 

in all seriousness; I am gonna see if he wants to do Waffle House and booze afterwards.  

If you can arrange a late-night BS session with Kasparov at an American institution of dubious social quality, I AM IN.

• Hook 'Em 6

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Will there be time to take that bastard on in a game of chess?  Because I've been looking into it.....those horsey guy thingies move in a funky L-shape, so I can do some moves with those that I bet he won't see comin'.

Brisket, always lookin’ for an excuse to insert the remote control butt plug.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

36 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Poland needs to start hitting Germany where it hurts, which is its exports and sales. Because Germany badly wants “European defense solutions.”  

Poland needs to tell everyone that “we went for the European solution and bought Leopards. And now that we want to dispose of them, instead of having a European discussion, Germany insists on bringing in the United States as a party to those negotiations. Next time we will just buy American and talk to the people we bought from, since Germany can’t make decisions on its own.” 

I realized today this may have to do with the Administration's domestic manufacturing and trade protection policies more than it has to do with the war itself. 

Spoiler

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said he’s convinced that a trade war can be avoided between the European Union and the US over a recent package of green subsidies introduced by Joe Biden’s administration.

Some of Washington’s allies have been angered by Biden’s climate-friendly tax law, known as the Inflation Reduction Act, even though it’s dedicated to boosting green tech and promoting a carbon-neutral future. They’re unhappy about subsidies which they say favor American firms and put their EU rivals at a disadvantage.

Scholz struck a conciliatory tone in an interview with Bloomberg News Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait Tuesday, saying his government appreciates and broadly supports what Biden is trying to achieve and is “working very hard to avoid” a trade war.

“I’m sure that it will not happen,” Scholz said in Berlin, adding that talks are ongoing with US officials to try to prevent regulations on local content discriminating against European companies. “I’m quite optimistic we will reach an agreement in this field and we are working for that,” Scholz said.

The German leader spoke to Bloomberg only hours after the head of the EU’s executive arm said the bloc should pass a new law to fast-track investments in clean tech and boost funding for the energy transition in response to the US climate law.

To keep European industry attractive, there is a need to be competitive with offers and incentives that are currently available outside the European Union,” Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, said in a speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Scholz said his government is committed to helping German industry remain competitive and pledged to invest “billions, billions, billions” of euros in developing renewable energy, building out the power grid and promoting green hydrogen.

Asked if Biden’s policies are more damaging for Europe even than those of his predecessor as US president, Donald Trump, Scholz noted that, like Biden, he has a close relationship with labor unions. He said he’s “very much looking to develop the industrial perspective for Germany.”

“We want to continue the strength of our economy and being an industrial country,” he added. “So there is a need for cooperation and I’m still in favor of the idea of globalisation, creating wealth all over the world.”

The German's are nothing, if not ruthless export driven capitalists. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Every time we get proud of ourselves we need to remember that Estonia has donated 1 per cent of their GDP in arms to Ukraine. 

Just joking around, but this is what I thought of when I read your post. And yeah, impressed by the Baltic states. So where are they going to turn to for replacement equipment? I wonder.....but for giggles. 

image.thumb.png.ec333b15e509d12ec6a81ce664128ba2.png

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I realized today this may have to do with the Administration's domestic manufacturing and trade protection policies more than it has to do with the war itself. 

Hide contents

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said he’s convinced that a trade war can be avoided between the European Union and the US over a recent package of green subsidies introduced by Joe Biden’s administration.

Some of Washington’s allies have been angered by Biden’s climate-friendly tax law, known as the Inflation Reduction Act, even though it’s dedicated to boosting green tech and promoting a carbon-neutral future. They’re unhappy about subsidies which they say favor American firms and put their EU rivals at a disadvantage.

Scholz struck a conciliatory tone in an interview with Bloomberg News Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait Tuesday, saying his government appreciates and broadly supports what Biden is trying to achieve and is “working very hard to avoid” a trade war.

“I’m sure that it will not happen,” Scholz said in Berlin, adding that talks are ongoing with US officials to try to prevent regulations on local content discriminating against European companies. “I’m quite optimistic we will reach an agreement in this field and we are working for that,” Scholz said.

The German leader spoke to Bloomberg only hours after the head of the EU’s executive arm said the bloc should pass a new law to fast-track investments in clean tech and boost funding for the energy transition in response to the US climate law.

To keep European industry attractive, there is a need to be competitive with offers and incentives that are currently available outside the European Union,” Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, said in a speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Scholz said his government is committed to helping German industry remain competitive and pledged to invest “billions, billions, billions” of euros in developing renewable energy, building out the power grid and promoting green hydrogen.

Asked if Biden’s policies are more damaging for Europe even than those of his predecessor as US president, Donald Trump, Scholz noted that, like Biden, he has a close relationship with labor unions. He said he’s “very much looking to develop the industrial perspective for Germany.”

“We want to continue the strength of our economy and being an industrial country,” he added. “So there is a need for cooperation and I’m still in favor of the idea of globalisation, creating wealth all over the world.”

The German's are nothing, if not ruthless export driven capitalists. 

I have always found it fascinating that the two biggest countries engaged in territorial conquest in WWII ostensibly chose peace afterwards, but shifted their predatory cultural tendencies into export driven economies. 

Here's a pretty comprehensive deep dive into infantry fighting vehicles (IFV) and armored personnel carriers (APC) being utilized in the Ukraine war. It's an hour and eight minute narrated powerpoint basically, that talks a little about the history of these vehicles, the number each side ostensibly had at the beginning of the conflict, the number destroyed during the war (he admits it's not exact, but he still feels like extrapolations can be made from the data available), the importance of these vehicles, future supplies and where they'll come from.

One of the things he leaves off, possibly because it's not that pertinent, is that prior to 2014 Ukraine was a decent sized producer of BMP-2s. The ties between the Russian and Ukrainian defense manufacturers were still very close after the fall of the USSR. However, they were almost exclusively for export only, so not many made it into service in the actual Ukrainian army, especially since Yanukovych was deliberately sabotaging the effectiveness/budget of the military in favor of the internal police. 

I feel like it's an outstanding overview. A lot of basic information many of you are already well aware of, but he does a great job of setting the stage for his later conclusions. 

Start at the timestamp 50:19 to bypass a lot of the background. 

• Hook 'Em 6

18 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I don’t think we have an objection to providing Abrams, it’s just that with their fuel usuage, it’s problematic for the the Ukrainians. I know the M1A2s are being retrofitted with an auxiliary power unit that will save lot of fuel, but I don’t know ho far long that process is.  It’s just sorta stupid to tie the export of Abrams to the Leopards, because the Abrams are so much harder for the Ukrainians to use effectively. It fixes the heavy armor problem while creating a logistics nightmare for Ukraine.

Basically, the Leopards are ready to go now. The Germans are still trying to have their cake and eat it too with the Russians.

We just have to send the Abrams, the Ukrainians don't have to use them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Parliament said:

Makes sense the Kazak's would want a buncha young jobless Russian men to gtfo, but it's bad for them to end up back in Russia.  As noted, they'll all get drafted.  

Is there any way to get them gone from Kazakhstan, but not back the the Russian army without, you know, having them all killed.?

More importantly, some of them that get drafted will actually kill Ukrainians. 

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Poland needs to start hitting Germany where it hurts, which is its exports and sales. Because Germany badly wants “European defense solutions.”  

Poland needs to tell everyone that “we went for the European solution and bought Leopards. And now that we want to dispose of them, instead of having a European discussion, Germany insists on bringing in the United States as a party to those negotiations. Next time we will just buy American and talk to the people we bought from, since Germany can’t make decisions on its own.” 

Poland is legally bound to secure German permission before sending German weapons to Ukraine.  But what are the consequences of doing it anyway?  What would Germany do about it?  Withhold repair parts?  Stop training Polish mecanics?  Do Panzers have remote kill switches?

18 hours ago, Parliament said:

Makes sense the Kazak's would want a buncha young jobless Russian men to gtfo, but it's bad for them to end up back in Russia.  As noted, they'll all get drafted.  

Is there any way to get them gone from Kazakhstan, but not back the the Russian army

Of course there's a very easy way, they just need to...

without, you know, having them all killed.?

Oh, nvm then

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I do like that Putin may actually believe that grooming is a problem.

No cr. 

Not quite as awful as what happens to the Russian officers that carried this out.  My grand uncle was a Wehrmacht POW camp officer in the eastern occupied territories.    He personally oversaw the deaths of thousands of Soviet troops.  He said it was either that or they’d ship him to the infantry front.  

Man I hate to do this...

Germany = Texas.  Great place with a great brand and rich history. Wonderful people.  But they're leaving a good (or at least functional) alliance in lieu of a buncha inbred mouth-breathers.  And they'll soon regret it.  Everybody sees it but them.

ETA

I'd neg rep myself if I could.  My candor is not often welcome i know.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There is not such thing as a coup proof regime.  There's always a breaking point for the local populace and other countries.

The surest-fire coup, particularly against an autocrat, is one dude with a gun.  That's it.  Yuri works inside the Kremlin.  Yuri has access to a handgun.  Yuri smokes Putin as he walks down the hall.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm done. We all know where this is going. 

Supply Ukraine with every possible munition. Train Ukes throughout all NATO bases. Move multiple carrier groups into the Med and Baltic, potentially to enforce a no-fly zone.

Open war is upon us, whether we risk it or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The Poland DefMin made noise today about doing exactly this. Hard to say precisely without knowing the specifics of their deal with Poland, including industrial cooperation. But you’ve touched on the pressure points, which will be maintenance and sustainment of the rest of Poland’s Leopard fleet. Not to mention— weapons that Ukraine gets are far more useful if they are able to get parts and send them back to factory depots when damaged. 

And of course, ordinarily you’d realize that breaking the agreement would ruin your chances of future business.

But for Scholz, if Poland called the bluff— he’s in almost worse shape. Enforce that contract provision and stop maintaining the remaining tanks and now you’re not just blocking Ukraine— you’re actively degrading the readiness of a NATO Eastern flank Ally while Russia is at war next door. 

And the way he’s going about this is damaging German defense industry competitiveness. Holding your own political line is one thing, but linking your decision to inaction/action on the part of the U.S. is entirely another. All our customers know that it may be a PITA to get Pentagon or Congressional approval but we are never going to tell you “let’s wait and see what the UK does.” You’re negotiating with us. 

Scholz’ stance is one thing. His tactics are another. It’s truly bizarre to see the leader of a major European country publicly surrender his decision making to Joe Biden. He’d be better served by doubling down and standing on principal or by leading by example. This just makes him look weak and flailing. 

I think you’re putting too much stock in Schulz’ words. He is not subject to Biden’s decision. If the US sends Abrams, Germany will find another reason to not send Leipards (or any tanks). If Poland, or anyone else, sends Leopards, Germany, as Europe’s banker, will punish them. Germany has made its decision- it won’t support Ukraine’s defense. It will let others support it. (WSJ poll says only 38% of Germans support sending tanks). 

Germany wants to have its cake and eat it too. It wants to claim to support Ukraine against Russian aggression, but it doesn’t want to support Ukraine in actuality. They think they can do this because they are smarter than everyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

32 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

They’re barely in serial production. Get ready for some heavily edited video of them in action FAR behind the front lines. 

Yeah, Russia sending like 10 tanks to Ukraine is hardly going to matter. Especially since, as you said, there is 0% chance they are placed anywhere near the frontline. 

• Hook 'Em 1