Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Russians are going to go with a WWI tactic of trying to overwhelm the enemy with shear numbers.  A fine tactic, if you're not one of the soldiers being fed into the meatgrinder.

A good tactic if the other side doesn’t have access to drones, satellite reconnaissance, and good artillery, and good leadership.

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I continue to believe we're going to see more of an armored/combined arms major Russian offensive in the next month or two. I don't know how successful it's going to be. Hopefully not very. But I feel confident what we're seeing now from the Russian side is more of a prelude than anything else. 

5 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Don't underestimate Russia's equipment reserves. Being short on artillery rounds just means that continuing to use as much ammunition as they have been may force them to dip into strategic reserves and lower readiness in the event another conflict (e.g., with NATO). It doesn't mean that Russia is actually going to run out anytime this decade. Those older tanks are largely serving the same purpose as the conscripts: covering lines and allowing Russia to mass better troops and equipment for offensive operations. 

You’re ignoring one thing: Russian corruption.   We’ve already seen where over a million winter uniforms and gear went missing because Russian corruption. Russian mamas have to crowdsource body armor for their boys because Russian corruption. We’ve already seen where vital/expensive parts were stolen from Russian vehicles in storage (and even at active military bases) because Russian corruption.  We’ve already seen Russian vehicles openly rusting in the elements in “storage “ because Russian corruption.

We heard so much about all of those reserves, yet we didn’t see them when they gave up on Kyiv, when they retreated from Kharkiv and Kherson, which were not massively embarrassing at home and abroad, but also expensive in terms of trained Russians and tier one equipment, but all of the sudden these reserves are not only going to make annappaearance, but make the difference?

And they haven’t improved their training, and they gutted their training battalions last year to increase numbers on the line, and as we’ve seen from the social media accounts tracking actual verified Russian officer and NCO deaths, they’ve lost so many Russian leaders who had experience in Syria.  And it looks like they are losing their cannon fodder to Bakhmut and a few other places, which means they will be throwing their better troops into the frontal assaults.

And meanwhile, every Ukrainian unit has a lot of guys trained on anti-tank (and probably one or two who have actual kills), they’ve all got their drone operators, and they’ve got extremely experienced leadership, and the Ukrainians have shown an uncanny ability to adapt and change tactics on the fly.

Maybe you all are right, but it feels like if Russia had this reserve capability, they would not have waited until Crimea, etc. we’re starting to be threatened.

This feels more like Russia has hit the big red PANIC button, especially when combined with the latest Western offerings and the latest Russian disinformation campaign.  This smells of intimidation attempts on their part.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8E5AF185-F1AC-46B3-9AF9-ACA3ED495C37.thumb.jpeg.8f90904af2d4ebb70724327cad489f60.jpeg

i’m just sharing because this is a really great read. Granted it is over 700 pages so not a light read, but it is superbly researched and even for a history nerd like me gave me many new things to think about.

As it relates to the upcoming Russian assault, I’m going to read a small section from a paragraph of the book:

But the red army of 1941 was not designed for defensive operations, nor did it have any practice in carrying them out. Nor was the red army built for unit commanders to take on the spot initiative, whether in attack or defense. The men were bullied by their officers, who were cowed by their superior officers, who are themselves terrorized by poli-truks answering to the party. 

By December 1941, according to German sources more than 3.5 million red army troops including 15,179 officers have been taken prisoner. These losses were compounded by lost tanks and artillery pieces captured intact as many as 3300 and 1800 respectively, on the Belarusian front alone. 

The book mentions that 250,000 captured Russian troops from Ukraine later joined the Wehrmacht and fought for Germany. 

Ukraine endured Russia, but that inclusion in the Soviet Union was against their will.  why the fuck Putin thought they’d be greeted with bread and salt is beyond me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

8E5AF185-F1AC-46B3-9AF9-ACA3ED495C37.thumb.jpeg.8f90904af2d4ebb70724327cad489f60.jpeg

i’m just sharing because this is a really great read. Granted it is over 700 pages so not a light read, but it is superbly researched and even for a history nerd like me gave me many new things to think about.

As it relates to the upcoming Russian assault, I’m going to read a small section from a paragraph of the book:

The book mentions that 250,000 captured Russian troops from Ukraine later joined the Wehrmacht and fought for Germany. 

Ukraine endured Russia, but that inclusion in the Soviet Union was against their will.  why the fuck Putin thought they’d be greeted with bread and salt is beyond me.

I will order it. Love that part of history. 

Also, yes, there were Russians who fought for the Germans. that does not include over 500K who left POW camps to serve the German Army on the front lines as labor, assistants, etc. 

They were led by General Vaslov. 

Intersting video. We should remember a lot of Eastern Europeans served in Afghanistan alongside NATO. They saw how we prepared, trained, maintained, etc. Never a bad thing. 

1- The level of destruction. 

2- The tone instructing the watcher 

3- How the Russians still walk in file and on paths. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

I really hope this is real. Shitty sound, but love how all the people shut off their cameras. 

A lot of countries just out and out executed collaborators after WWII.  If you worked with the Nazis after takeover, you’ll be tried, you’ll be convicted, and you’ll be shot. Of course a lot of it was lost to the chaos of war.  Here and hundreds of other cases we have indelible digital evidence for everyone in the world to see as much as they want.  The scope could be enormous.   It’ll be interesting to see the fate of people like this. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

A lot of countries just out and out executed collaborators after WWII.  If you worked with the Nazis after takeover, you’ll be tried, you’ll be convicted, and you’ll be shot. Of course a lot of it was lost to the chaos of war.  Here and hundreds of other cases we have indelible digital evidence for everyone in the world to see as much as they want.  The scope could be enormous.   It’ll be interesting to see the fate of people like this. 

Agree. And I hope we are careful. A teacher, a doctor, a worker caught behind lines might have to say ok, I will work for you. Hell, that is where I think a lot of the UA's intel is coming from. 

CNN gave us the first war live (1991- Iraq) but this is the first digital war via TikTok and Twitter. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Agree. And I hope we are careful. A teacher, a doctor, a worker caught behind lines might have to say ok, I will work for you. Hell, that is where I think a lot of the UA's intel is coming from. 

CNN gave us the first war live (1991- Iraq) but this is the first digital war via TikTok and Twitter. 

And drones. The camera footage from the ubiquitous drones has been a game changer in following the war, along with the social media. 

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

This just in...Turkey is an unreliable partner. But like Pakistan, but even more so, you can't just write them off no matter how unreliable various elements in the government are. 

Just so pissed the EU pushed Erdogan to purge the military because they had too many coups in their history. That wasn't a bug, EU. That was a feature. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

This just in...Turkey is an unreliable partner. But like Pakistan, but even more so, you can't just write them off no matter how unreliable various elements in the government are. 

Just so pissed the EU pushed Erdogan to purge the military because they had too many coups in their history. That wasn't a bug, EU. That was a feature. 

I don't think Erdogan needed much of a push.  

• Hook 'Em 2

And to further follow up on the thought regarding Turkiye upthread, the Turkish have always had a bit of an inferiority complex, love/hate relationship with the EU.  They are miffed that EU has been moving the goalposts on them for EU admission for years.  It seems there's always something they don't measure up with, and often in candor, they'll admit they don't measure up.  But the cumulative effect is, "you really aren't European and we really don't want you as part of our exclusive club."  So I get from the Turkish perspective why they'd have their hackles up a bit.  It only has to aggrieve them all the more to see the European powers falling all over themselves to get Ukraine admitted asap, while Turkiye has been on the waiting list since...checks notes...1987.  

Don't mistake this observation for sympathy for Erdogan, as I don't have it.  Further, the reasons EU to withhold acceptance of Turkiye into the group are many, varied, and often valid.  Still, the upshot for the Turkish is that the EU seems like a diplomatic cocktease and I get why they may take a position that they've been convinced by the EU that they have to look after their own business apart from the EU.

It's a rough neighborhood.

• Hook 'Em 2

Cool. Those Russian athletes should be killed.
I have long held the position that practitioners and supporters of genocide should be killed. I’m good with that position. Want to go out in the world proclaiming your love for the butchering of a nation and people? Cool. You waived your right to exist in this world.
These are not “athletes participating peacefully.” They are actively advancing the cause of genocide and slaughter. End them.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Russia is a terrorist state. They have no place in the Olympics. Let them hold their own fucking games in Grozny. 

Perhaps but counterpoint - the two women in that photo have potential. Although I'm sure brisket would say fuck them both.

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool. Those Russian athletes should be killed.
I have long held the position that practitioners and supporters of genocide should be killed. I’m good with that position. Want to go out in the world proclaiming your love for the butchering of a nation and people? Cool. You waived your right to exist in this world.
These are not “athletes participating peacefully.” They are actively advancing the cause of genocide and slaughter. End them.

Let them only do the Biathlon with full Ukranian competition. 

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Russia is a terrorist state. They have no place in the Olympics. Let them hold their own fucking games in Grozny. 

I thought Russia was banned and these are just Russian athletes participating under the Olympic banner thing? Either way they should ban that Z symbol from uniforms. 

17 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

So if Wagner is a terrorist organization does that mean we'll kill them where we find them (outside Russia) like al Qaeda? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Viper said:

I thought Russia was banned and these are just Russian athletes participating under the Olympic banner thing? Either way they should ban that Z symbol from uniforms. 

So if Wagner is a terrorist organization does that mean we'll kill them where we find them (outside Russia) like al Qaeda? 

OOC stated they were going to let their athletes participate. How is not clear. Cannot ban the Z. It is their new national symbol if you follow their propaganda people. 

I would hope so. Raid their asses in Central Africa.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I don't think Erdogan needed much of a push.  

It legitimized it. Without the EU's prompting, the military may have well taken over at that point rather than let Erdogan take permanent control of the government. That was Ataturk's admonition and his call to the military. Keep Turkey secular. The secular portion of the population yearned for a tighter relationship with Europe. Candidacy in the EU - which was never going to happen by the way - would have represented a quantum leap for where they'd come from. Too many people both inside and outside of the country thought this was the way forward, when it was absolutely the way backwards. 

Anyway, water under the bridge. We're stuck with the fucker at this point, and all the bullshit he continues to pull.