Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It's how they want it spelled. We don't spell it Constantinople any more either, for similar reasons. 

A bit different. Constantinople was Byzantine. Istanbul became the name when it was taken by Islamic troops. Plus Istanbul is easier to spell. 

Do you call it Burma or what the Regime wants it called, Myanmar? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

And to further follow up on the thought regarding Turkiye upthread, the Turkish have always had a bit of an inferiority complex, love/hate relationship with the EU.  They are miffed that EU has been moving the goalposts on them for EU admission for years.  It seems there's always something they don't measure up with, and often in candor, they'll admit they don't measure up.  But the cumulative effect is, "you really aren't European and we really don't want you as part of our exclusive club."  So I get from the Turkish perspective why they'd have their hackles up a bit.  It only has to aggrieve them all the more to see the European powers falling all over themselves to get Ukraine admitted asap, while Turkiye has been on the waiting list since...checks notes...1987.  

Don't mistake this observation for sympathy for Erdogan, as I don't have it.  Further, the reasons EU to withhold acceptance of Turkiye into the group are many, varied, and often valid.  Still, the upshot for the Turkish is that the EU seems like a diplomatic cocktease and I get why they may take a position that they've been convinced by the EU that they have to look after their own business apart from the EU.

It's a rough neighborhood.

There's a lot of prejudice towards the Turks. It's somewhat racist to call them the Mexicans of Europe, but they are such a substantial part of the poorest areas in many European countries. Particularly France and Germany. I remember in the 80s having so many conversations with Europeans who loved to point out to me how racist the US is, and I'm like, you realize you live in a completely homogenous country? You don't have a real idea what it's like to have vastly different cultures within your borders and the various power dynamics and natural tensions that come to exist because of it. And the ones you do are oftentimes huge flash points.

Well, now different parts of Europe are getting a taste of it, and they're alleged tolerance for other cultures as a collective hasn't always been the ideal they made themselves out to be. I'm not casting blame. We are very tribal instinctually. A lot of it is part of being human and requires a huge amount of conscious work to even have a chance at overcoming. 

Then you have Greece. It's crazy both countries are in NATO. Erdogan just a couple of months ago was saber rattling with Greece over various disputes. That's always a regional powder keg. The Greeks aren't exactly going to be welcoming in Turkiye to the EU with open arms.

EU is like the hot girl who keeps telling you she's for sure going to go out with you if you just do this one thing. At some point if you don't want to be a sucker you recognize it's never going to happen. Frankly, I think that's exactly what happened with Erdogan, and a lot of his behavior over the last 5 years has been him pulling the rip cord on eventual EU membership. He's found a different path he wants to embark on, and shockingly enough, it's not always friendly to the West. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

A bit different. Constantinople was Byzantine. Istanbul became the name when it was taken by Islamic troops. Plus Istanbul is easier to spell. 

Myanmar. I can't remember the last time I used Burma unless it's a historical reference. The folks in control want it called a certain way, that's what I call it. That's the whole point with Istanbul. Like the song says, it's nobody's business but the Turks as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Myanmar. I can't remember the last time I used Burma unless it's a historical reference. The folks in control want it called a certain way, that's what I call it. That's the whole point with Istanbul. Like the song says, it's nobody's business but the Turks as far as I'm concerned. 

Agree about Istanbul, but not Burma. Genocidal regimes don't just to tell us, hey, forget our past, we want to be called this. How do you pronounce Poland? Polska? Are we not going to use native names due to their political terms? Kaboul vs Kabul? 

As to Turkey. Fuck them for beating up Americans on our soil and now blocking NATO expansion. I call em dickbutts. 

Back to Ukraine. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

isn't Istanbul just a turkish spelling of "the city" in greek?

Edited by Viper

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

fb3fd1bd-7a5d-4d5a-85e4-f1b93091daad_tex

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

damn you 27-25.  Bested again.  Well, it's never not funny.  Enjoy everyone.  Let the today, the literal midpoint of the Dead of Winter bring defeat and suffering to all Russian infantry.  

They say it's always darkest before Dawn.  But it's also super-duper dark when you go to sleep for the rest of your life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Parliament said:

So the UKA holds the best it can, bleeds Russia as much as it can, then gets Panzers, Bradley's, long range rockets, etc. and goes on the offensive in June? Or what?

Been wondering about the lack of a counteroffensive by the Ukrainians for a bit now, but I am beginning to believe that it was all a feint, with the idea being of getting Russia to commit the maximum amount of forces into battle.  Basically, (and this is entirely a theory of my own), the addition of the longer distance himars gives the Ukrainians the opportunity to cut several bridgeheads/rail supply lines into the occupied areas and essentially trap and starve out the remaining force of approximately 350k russians and equipment in occupied Ukrainian territory.  After a few months, the more advanced weaponry will be in the field, sort of a hounds to the hunters idea, and ultimately an absolute slaughter of the Russian forces.  

I hope my theory is correct, as it would lead to a generational degradation of Russian combat power.  I've read that they've lost somewhere around 30 to 40%, if this were to come to pass, it would likely be more like 70% in my eyes, in essence non recoverable.  Of course the down side is that we are financing this degradation with Ukrainian blood, and those poor folks stuck behind the lines will pay in awful ways.  

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, tokamak said:

Isn’t Newsweek basically the Sports Illustrated of news now? Basically, a bullshit blog run by businesspeople trading under a formerly reputable name?

Edit: I guess I'm showing my age by calling it a "blog". "Content farm" is probably more appropriate in the parlance of our times.

They owe money all over town 

10 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Same name, but thought was Turkic. Who the fuck knows. Hell, could be Persian. My point remains. I speak English, we have English spelling for locations. Don't mess with my text messaging. 

They actually are demanding we call it “Türkiye” in official communications, which means they even want us to use a fucking letter we don’t have. 

It’s the sign of an insecure nation. We have English names for places, the Germans, the Swedes, the Finns, the Poles don’t get all butthurt that the English name doesn’t match the way they spell and say it.

Fuck the Turks. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

They actually are demanding we call it “Türkiye” in official communications, which means they even want us to use a fucking letter we don’t have. 

It’s the sign of an insecure nation. We have English names for places, the Germans, the Swedes, the Finns, the Poles don’t get all butthurt that the English name doesn’t match the way they spell and say it.

Fuck the Turks. 

DOS always does dumb shit. 

Never forget they could not take Vienna. God Bless the Polish Cav. 

But their settlement in Bihac is a cool place. Go visit! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Fuck the Turks. 

Counterpoint:

Turkey is a beautiful country.

Food is good.

It has all the best Greek ruins.

Istanbul is an awesome city.

The women are beautiful.

What were we talking about again?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Fuck the Turks. 

And Germans always pronounce my name wrong.  So what.  Don't bother me none.

Turkee acting like Aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

On country naming, I’ve wondered why it seems the Dominican republic is the only translatable name that we actually translate instead of just anglicizing the pronunciation of Spanish spelling.  I think it might be just because it sounds silly to us to call a country Rich Coast or a territory Rich Port.  We don’t translate cities though- I guess we have enough San saint names and Los nouns that we are accustomed to it. 

• Haha 1

Russia is about to take Bakhmut, it sounds like. I also read that Ukraine is using its freshest recruits in the front line against the Wagner attacks, and holding its better units in reserve support. 

Wars are won, not by killing the most enemy or grabbing the most land, but by achieving strategic goals. Casualties and KIA are interesting, but not telling. Russia, really and truly, does not give a shit about its penal battalions. I tell kids going to UT, “You getting into grade trouble will not be a problem for UT. It will be a solution to a problem for UT”. Similarly, Ukraine killing 25,000 Wagner convicts at Bakhmut is not a problem for Russia. It’s a solution to a problem for Russia. Russia thinks taking a convict out of prison, and sending him home to be buried in a uniform is a win. Yes, they took Bakhmut by the inches and paid in blood and bullets- they wish they still had the bullets.  

Ukraine needs to plan an offensive that works towards a strategic goal. The west needs to help them. I’d like to see it soon. It’s a big, nasty world and some shit is going to happen somewhere else to distract us. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Counterpoint:

Turkey is a beautiful country.

Food is good.

It has all the best Greek ruins.

Istanbul is an awesome city.

The women are beautiful.

What were we talking about again?

This was my experience.  It's a beautiful place with a lot to offer.  It's just run by a schmuck.  It's not the only place with that problem.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Girkin not optimistic about the offensive

I can only conclude that this guy has some major players protecting him.  Perhaps he's been isolated as that one guy who's allowed to tell it like it is, so that there is at least one outlet of truth going to the top.  Otherwise I just don't see how he's avoided falling out a window by now.  Or perhaps it's that he caters to such a small section of the public who cares about getting into the military weeds that they say he's not even worth it.  I don't know.  It just seems very strange that we continue to get these very frank,  negative opinions that seem to be informed by first hand info from the front.  Like he's calling his old military academy classmates and getting the real scoop to form his opinions.  So very odd in the current Russian political climate.  Which is pretty much the same as always Russian political climate:  the truth is only what the state reports it to be.  Which one of you old Russia hands can explain how this guy lives?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Fuck the Turks. 

Yes, and other countries have their own name for the US, which we don't get bent out of shape about.  When a French friend once corrected me for pronouncing "France" with an American-accented short a, I asked him what he called the United States of America.  He replied, "les États-Unis" and I said "et voilà."

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1