Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russia is losing the ability to project power while at the same time having to increasingly rely on China to buy its main exports, and it has to rely on China for almost all imports now.  Definite Chinese advantage.  Russia being cut off from Europe proper will always help China.

I was thinking about the growing tensions between western countries and China. The more that becomes front and center, the more interesting that relationship becomes, in the ancient Chinese curse way of “may you live in interesting times.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

A glowing article regarding Ukrainians ability to master different aspects of the Patriot system while training in Fort Sill. Also some information regarding other Ukrainians who have been training in combined arms tactics. 

Not too surprising regarding the Ukrainians. These are combat veterans on their air defense systems hand picked to undergo the training. Still, it’s a fun article to read for Ukraine fan boys like me. Usually I’d cut and paste the article, but it’s too much of a pain in the butt on my phone, but here’s the link:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/21/ukrainian-soliders-patriot-missile-training-oklahoma-00088166?cid=apn

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russia needs a good 3-to-1 or 4-to-1 ratio to take contested ground (maybe higher these days, what with drones changing the game, and Russia's problems with armor, etc.)

You’re saying that Russia needs 3-4x the men and weapons to take ground? Where are you getting those estimates from? 

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

A lot of ramifications for this. This war is certainly sealing the fate of Russia in all kinds of ways. I'm curious if it ends up being the advantage for China it seems to be in the short run. I guess it depends on the Western response. 

China sucking natural resources out of Eastern Russia for the next decade be like:

C1DB4DFC-7DA5-431D-8EDB-2DCE9BD9AF46.gif.1330a0f0b5c44273165c22996c23c5b4.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Something tells me if I'm ever in a bind with true evil.  And my choices of ally are Kishida and a Colorado Cunt.  I'm going with Kishida.  Just a hunch.  

To be fair, the Colorado Cunts finished fourth in their division last year, so don't write them off just yet.  They could still be a playoff team. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Something tells me if I'm ever in a bind with true evil.  And my choices of ally are Kishida and a Colorado Cunt.  I'm going with Kishida.  Just a hunch.  

I don't understand. Something tells me you were at a Mississippi crossroad and sold your soul for a Canadian Cooch.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, no.  "Canadian Cooch" was Gordon Lightfoot's little known first album.  More of a bootleg, really.

Sounds familiar. I think I was in Santa Fe and heard a song on it called Lamy Kitchi-Gami.

20 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I guess my biggest issue is I haven't seen a single place along the entire front where Ukraine has managed to push back against the Russians once they take some territory. I can only assume that's on purpose, but from the point of view of an observer, I sure would like it better if I saw more effective Ukraine counter attacks on the advancing Russian forces. I think for many of us on this thread and around the world, a lot of our hopes are being invested in the upcoming Ukrainian counter offensive they've been preparing for now for quite some time. A lot rides on its success, frankly. 

I think that assumption is spot on. Presumably, they take less losses defending than attacking. If our other assumption is correct - that they're holding Bakhmut as long as possible while they train and equip - then taking a near purely defensive position is likely the best strategy. Shit situation for the guys on the ground, but sometimes  sacrifices have to be made in war.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not trying to get into cloak room, but this is important in terms of US support for Ukraine. Republican Michael McCaul is the head of the Foreign Affairs committee, and he's been very public that we need to do more to help Ukraine. McCaul represents an odd district that runs from west Houston to Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

I watched this one yesterday and highly recommend it. The husband was nearly mortally wounded and thrown into a ditch by Russian soldiers, but the wife got away because a Ukrainian drone with the message "Follow Me" taped to it led her out of there. From the above video, it looks like most of it was captured on film.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Not trying to get into cloak room, but this is important in terms of US support for Ukraine. Republican Michael McCaul is the head of the Foreign Affairs committee, and he's been very public that we need to do more to help Ukraine. McCaul represents an odd district that runs from west Houston to Austin. 

Yeah, he's been calling for training Ukrainian pilots and prepping F-16s for a transfer, among other things (he wants more vehicles being sent over).

There's a defense contractor or two (Oshkosh vehicles I think) in his district, but this goes beyond one or two contractors - he's been very vocal about it.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, he's been calling for training Ukrainian pilots and prepping F-16s for a transfer, among other things (he wants more vehicles being sent over).

There's a defense contractor or two (Oshkosh vehicles I think) in his district, but this goes beyond one or two contractors - he's been very vocal about it.

McCaul has been a pleasant surprise to me on Ukraine, so far.  I hope that he sustains that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

I watched this one yesterday and highly recommend it. The husband was nearly mortally wounded and thrown into a ditch by Russian soldiers, but the wife got away because a Ukrainian drone with the message "Follow Me" taped to it led her out of there. From the above video, it looks like most of it was captured on film.

It's been one of the key pieces of video in the ICC hearings. Listening to the husband talk about how he got back to Ukraine held territory was very moving. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Ruskies never lose, they just run out of tanks. 

We laughed at them as we scrapped our Stuarts, Shermans, and Pattons, and they kept their T-34s in storage, but who is laughing now?

And T-34s can destroy Ukrainian mines just as well as a T-72 or even a T-14.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We laughed at them as we scrapped our Stuarts, Shermans, and Pattons, and they kept their T-34s in storage, but who is laughing now?

Oh yeah?  Just wait 'til they bust out their T-16s and bullseye every 2m target along the entire battlefront. Especially those in the trenches...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A T-34 will bat 0.00 against a modern tank, but it can still defeat a squad of UKA soldiers without anti-tank weapons.

• Hook 'Em 1

A T-34 will bat 0.00 against a modern tank, but it can still defeat a squad of UKA soldiers without anti-tank weapons.

They have some they keep for parades and such. I’m sure these are some of those.

Besides, they still haven’t made it through their T-54/55s.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2