Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I read this whole thing for “Operation 
Military Kids” and it never mentions that the F-18 has two vertical stabilizers and the F-16 one, which is how I’d tell any kid to tell them apart. 

One seat, one tail, one engine.

F/A-18 has two of each (although there's also a single seat version).

On 5/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, Brisketexan said:

Appreciate the insight, and not arguing with you, but wouldn't that analogy apply more to big-picture strategic weapons (nukes and their delivery platforms) than good old-fashioned "blow up the enemy's shit" platforms?

Because even if Russia "loses," if it remains the same old shitty Russia, it has proven that it WILL try shit like this again.  AND, other nations may be looking at their neighbors thinking that THEY'LL pull a Russia, too.  Which makes battlefield weapons like HIMARS, and air defense like Patriots, the things you definitely want to have (oh, and western tanks and APCs, and ATGMs as well).  I'm thinking of India/Pakistan, and Taiwan, and South Korea, and even NATO states like Poland, Germany, Finland -- aren't they looking to ramp up their supply of all of those things, to let their potential adversary know that if they try to pull a Russia, they're going to get their shit pushed in?

Sounds like you’re completely agreeing with him. If they can just buy up existing stuff, because it’s been proven to work against Russia, then they don’t have as much incentive to invest in developing brand new tech.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

If you want a guy to climb up on a jet engine filled with gas, hauling around explosives while being shot at, you need that someone who is a bit of an asshole to do it. They need to believe they’re a bit better than the rest. Otherwise you couldn’t get anyone to do something so crazy.

My uncle was a fighter pilot in Vietnam. He was a bit tweaked before he went or so I’m told. Always an adrenaline junky. I can verify he was a bit of an asshole. Just a touch, but enough to note.

Reminds me of The Great Santini.   My Dad was a career NCO and had a lot of that attitude, as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Why does this feel like a cash for Vipers deal. 

US "Why are y'all flying around in 30 year old jets? How about you trade in your 16's and we will upgrade you to 35's. Think of it like a trade in and think of all the taxes you'll save."

Sounds like a win, win, WIN!

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

US "Why are y'all flying around in 30 year old jets? How about you trade in your 16's and we will upgrade you to 35's. Think of it like a trade in and think of all the taxes you'll save."

That's exactly what will happen. We can also sell it as foreign aid apart from Ukraine, which increases the overall funds available to support Ukraine. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 4

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/20/europe/russia-warning-f-16-jets-ukraine-intl/index.html

Russia’s deputy foreign minister has warned Western countries of “enormous risks” if Ukraine is provided with F-16 fighter jets, Russian state media TASS reported Saturday.

The comments come after US President Joe Biden gave his backing for Ukrainian pilots to be trained to fly F-16s, reversing his previous position. 

Responding to the move, Alexander Grushko said: “We see that the Western countries are still adhering to the escalation scenario. 

“It involves enormous risks for themselves. In any case, this will be taken into account in all our plans, and we have all the necessary means to achieve the set goals.”

cheryl-cole-okay.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oooh—another Russian red line. Let’s see what happens when we step over this one.

I bet nothing. Just like with the last one.

And the one before that.

And the one before that.

image.gif.dff67cc77696c67730119a1c5436d501.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

So threatening to nuke NATO allies on the reg is not escalation, and it is not escalation to claim you are going to conquer the Balkans, the rest of Ukraine, and parts of Finland and Poland, all but Ukraine NATO allies. 

Gotcha 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Deej said:

Knew a guy that flew a Warthog in Iraq during the first Gulf War  Actually flew over the “Highway of Death” strafing Iraqis and their equipment retreating from Kuwait. He described it as a turkey shoot. No ground fire to worry about and just cherry picking targets, trying to inflict as much death and damage as he could. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

A-10s are meme planes at this point.  Yeah, the Russians are a bunch of dipshits, but even a conscript sitting in an S-300 trying to figure out what the big red button does is incredibly dangerous for them.  Add the fact that it isn't a USAF pilot in there with a shitload of training and flight hours, and...eh...

F-16s are more useful, assuming we don't give them totally clapped out pieces of shit.  E:  Wait, where ARE the F-16s coming from?  They're not dragging them out of the desert are they?

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

E:  Wait, where ARE the F-16s coming from?  They're not dragging them out of the desert are they?

The first batch is apparently coming from the Netherlands. The US is now allowing re export by allies, but has not yet announced we are giving F16s as well 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texastough said:

The first batch is apparently coming from the Netherlands. The US is now allowing re export by allies, but has not yet announced we are giving F16s as well 

I doubt we will unless/until Congress appropriates more funds. It would just be too much of a hit. We can be creative with it right now. 

14 hours ago, CoachTex said:

Almost all of the fighter coalition nations are already flying or have ordered F-35s. I think maybe only Portugal hasn’t yet. 

• Hook 'Em 3